As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Plants vs Zombies] Garden Warfare 2 out now! Time for some online plant murder!

123457»

• GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Nice bit about the game on this morning's Jimquisition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ7hJ8MVcpU

Hopefully it starts to get some more traction, more people should be aware of this game. It's just a shame because it really doesn't "feel" like a $60 game, and it's really hard to put a finger on why. Nobody bats an eye at a $60 Battlefront or CoD, so why here?

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular

Hopefully it starts to get some more traction, more people should be aware of this game. It's just a shame because it really doesn't "feel" like a $60 game, and it's really hard to put a finger on why. Nobody bats an eye at a $60 Battlefront or CoD, so why here?

I'm just happy I discovered Garden/Graveyard Ops were basically like ME3 MP, which I have wanted a modern replacement for for years. I'm telling everyone.*

*Not actually everyone

• AgentMayhemAgentMayhem Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    And my XP bonus STILL hasn't fallen. Haven't lost a single blip yet.

I didn't see anyone post this yet, here's how the XP bonus works. If you play every day it stays at its current level, so that's why yours hasn't dropped. For each day you don't play it drops to the next big pin. So say you're at 1.75XP with two extra little pins after that. After day 1 without playing you'll be at exactly 1.75XP (minus 2 pins), after day 2 at 1.5XP (minus 5 more pins), etc.

I didn't see anyone post this yet, here's how the XP bonus works. If you play every day it stays at its current level, so that's why yours hasn't dropped. For each day you don't play it drops to the next big pin. So say you're at 1.75XP with two extra little pins after that. After day 1 without playing you'll be at exactly 1.75XP (minus 2 pins), after day 2 at 1.5XP (minus 5 more pins), etc.

That's...kind of brutal.

• GrisloGrislo Registered User regular

I kinda think it does feel like a full game. You've got the coop/ops mode, a pretty standard/robust competitive pvp bit with various standard modes, and a decent-ish singleplayer campaign with some interesting stuff at the very end, and an option of just generally fucking around in the garden.

Being able to level/earn coin in solo pvp/ops is pretty great.

The 'lol, baby's first shooter' shit might scare some players away, which is a shame. It's loads of fun. There are some balance issues, but nothing too bad, unless you run into the wrong team once in a rare while.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.

That's...kind of brutal.

Agreed, I definitely feel like it isn't worth doing anything non-quest-related unless my multiplier is up to 2.0x. Though I will say that challenges are pretty easy to knock out once you have a good feel for the solo game types. Last night I finished 10 quests solo in 1.5 hours. Here are a couple of tips to speed through them:

-It's almost never a good idea to just roll into the backyard battleground to finish a quest, there's certainly a faster way via Solo Ops or a custom "multiplayer" game. Even if you just need one more Citron kill or whatever, you'll see every other class 4 times in the backyard before you see that orange bastard.

-If the objective is "Vanquish 15 Corn," just set up a solo multi-player game and set the opponent team to be all Corn.

-Unless you really need just one more to get to 2.0x, you should save the Graveyard Ops / Vanquish 50 / Boss Vanquish / etc. quests until you can knock out a few at once. When the quests reset you keep the ones you have active, so you can leave the stragglers until you have one or two logical ones to combine them with.

-If you "abandon" a quest it is gone forever.

That's...kind of brutal.

Agreed, I definitely feel like it isn't worth doing anything non-quest-related unless my multiplier is up to 2.0x. Though I will say that challenges are pretty easy to knock out once you have a good feel for the solo game types. Last night I finished 10 quests solo in 1.5 hours.

Yeah, I guess this was more my point. You (who have a fairly efficient process for doing these) took 1.5 hours to bump up effectively two multiplier levels, which you'd lose in two days of not playing. Which I imagine is a fairly common thing for casual players to do (or, you know, people who travel). Multipliers are a great tool for leveling up all of the different character variants, also, so what this means is that people who can't play as often are almost double penalized when it comes to progression.

It's just interesting to see that approach compared to, say, MMOs which take an opposite approach with rest XP (e.g. XP bonuses time away, versus time playing).

That's...kind of brutal.

Agreed, I definitely feel like it isn't worth doing anything non-quest-related unless my multiplier is up to 2.0x. Though I will say that challenges are pretty easy to knock out once you have a good feel for the solo game types. Last night I finished 10 quests solo in 1.5 hours.

It's just interesting to see that approach compared to, say, MMOs which take an opposite approach with rest XP (e.g. XP bonuses time away, versus time playing).

This is a really good comparison that I hadn't really considered.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I hope there's a patch soon. I haven't encountered anything too awful, but my most common bug is that the game doesn't save any customization I do right before I quit(I always make sure to manually save before quitting too). Not a big deal since it saves my XP/coin progress, but it is annoying. I've also had the game lock up multiple times on the loading screen when heading back to the backyard. And this morning I had a new bug where the game thought there was one enemy left on an Ops wave (Wave 8 too...) but all the enemies were dead. Had to quit out to the backyard.

I also think the Imp is in need of some tweaking. Either an HP(like, up to 75 or something) boost, a Z-Mech HP boost, or a cooldown reduction on Z-Mech. He's pretty worthless in most situations I think. Completely worthless in Graveyard Ops.

I also agree with Sterling that GW2 is an impressive example of how a $60 AAA release should be, but at the same time it's pretty sad that it's to the point now where such a basic thing is impressive. I absolutely love this game, and feel like it's an early GOTY contender. Coin microtransactions are probably inevitable, but as long as they don't fuck with the current coin earn rate if/when they implement micros, I wont be too salty about it. I do hope they announce DLC at some point too. I will happily purchase stuff like new maps and characters.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I'd happily pay 100$ fir this game easily.

They've already said all DLC will be free.

Abdoning quests don't make them vanish. I abandoned a Defuse 3 Gnomebombs quest after onky getting one and it was still there to be picked up AND it still had my one accomplishment on it when i did.

Ooooh, so there is DLC planned, and it will be free? Who is this publisher and what have they done with the real EA? :P Maybe this long period of not so great El Nino EA is ending, and La Nina cool EA is re-emerging. Like when EA was being rad in 2008(?) and releasing sweet new IPs like Dead Space and Mirror's Edge.

Also, is the Infinity Time place the only way to get legendary stickers? I did 16 waves my first time through with the plants, and I got a Legendary Kernel Corn sticker.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Rough night for me last night. Was trying to get the Garden Ops on specific map daily done and just failed, repeatedly.

1. Tried to start my own multiplayer, nobody joined, failed.
    2. Tried solo ops, got to wave 9 and failed (hard boss wave for me).
    3. Tried joining a specific multiplayer op for the map I needed. One attempt timed out after the loading screen.
    4. The next attempt I got into a game, but only had one other person who never jumped out of the RV.
    5. The next attempt I got into one that just ended with two people, the leader of which proceeded to just screw around with game settings and not actually start the game after 10 minutes.
    6. The next attempt I finally got into a game with 4 people doing the map, but somehow it was the laggiest thing I've experienced since playing Quake 1 over dialup. I was teleporting all over the place, massive delay on all abilities if they fired at all. We somehow made it to the final wave but then failed to get to the landing pad because we couldn't get through the portals (due to lag/teleporting).

So, that was over an hour of trying to finish a single daily. Part of it was just me being bad at games, but the larger part was just...ugh.

Skull2185 wrote: »
    Ooooh, so there is DLC planned, and it will be free? Who is this publisher and what have they done with the real EA? :P Maybe this long period of not so great El Nino EA is ending, and La Nina cool EA is re-emerging. Like when EA was being rad in 2008(?) and releasing sweet new IPs like Dead Space and Mirror's Edge.

Also, is the Infinity Time place the only way to get legendary stickers? I did 16 waves my first time through with the plants, and I got a Legendary Kernel Corn sticker.

Any sticker in your stickerbook with the code IT is exclusive to infinity time. It's easier to get other legendary stickers in IT but you can still get them in the 35000 packs

Kotaku GW2 review up - http://kotaku.com/plants-vs-zombies-garden-warfare-2-the-kotaku-review-1762365586

One particular gem stood out:
    Are the classes well-balanced? Hell no. The new pirate zombie feels relatively useless, the magic-wielding rose demands a degree of finesse not many players seem to achieve, and the older characters are overwhelmed by the flashy newcomers.

Er...what?

• ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Forget it, Grundle. It's Kotakutown.

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    They may have tried it in SP. I tried Rose for a few levels, and it was kind of rough, and while I could definitely see potential, it didn't feel overpowered or anything. For SP, it's much easier to Sunflower or something.

edited March 2016
    dporowski wrote: »
    They may have tried it in SP. I tried Rose for a few levels, and it was kind of rough, and while I could definitely see potential, it didn't feel overpowered or anything. For SP, it's much easier to Sunflower or something.

Rose is stupid OP even in SP. That's all I play and the difference is ridiculously blatant.

Also, Pirate is the other class people are complaining is too op so yeah that reviewer doesn't know jack.

Magic Pink on
    Need more Gardens & Graveyards and Herbal Assault maps pls!

Pirate is crazy good on Gardens & Graveyards.

Parrot Strike the garden
    Cannon Rodeo the garden
    Charge the garden in your barrel
    Get ALL the XPs

Also, @Magic Pink

I dunno if there's still an NDA or whatever, but how does Battleborn's gameplay compare to this? Is it similar or does it play more like Smite style MOBA?

Need more Gardens & Graveyards and Herbal Assault maps pls!

Pirate is crazy good on Gardens & Graveyards.

Parrot Strike the garden
    Cannon Rodeo the garden
    Charge the garden in your barrel
    Get ALL the XPs

Also, @Magic Pink

I dunno if there's still an NDA or whatever, but how does Battleborn's gameplay compare to this? Is it similar or does it play more like Smite style MOBA?

I think there still is but in as far as looking for a single player multi experience, Battleborn SHOUD have that kind of thing as well. It wasn't up for the beta tho.

Free DLC today!

New Map, a remake of a GW1 Map that has been taken over by the zombies. New missions in the backyard, as well as balancing and bug fixes.

Wow, the Mike's Frozen Yogurt Quest is as lame as they come. Your quest reward is a link to a website to set up an account for Menchie's Inc so they can send you a 3$ off frozen yogurt coupon.

Get that stupid shit outta my game.

GW2 is also Amazon's deal of the day for $39.99.

Patch notes are up as well.

Spoilered for length:
    Hi everyone!
    I'm thrilled to finally be able to talk to you all about the details for the next content update for Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 2. We had an incredible launch and we’re very humbled at all the amazing fan feedback we’ve received so far. We believe strongly that if you invest your time in us, then we should invest our time in you. So it's very exciting to announce all the juicy details of our first free content update, available March 8!

This update not only contains some critical gameplay tuning and balancing, but also adds in a new map, a bunch of new activities in the Backyard Battleground, as well as some fan requested gameplay and control options. In addition, it also includes a ton of quality and bug fixes as we continue to look for ways to improve the game. Please read on below for full details of all the awesome new ways to play. And don’t forget to check out our new trailer!

I hope you enjoy the new content as much as we've enjoyed making it, and look forward to your continued feedback and support.
    Justin Wiebe,
    Creative Director – Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare 2
    @JA_WIEBE

March 2016, Garden Warfare 2 Tuning/Balance Notes

New Features
    • Added new co-op/team vanquish map "Aqua Center" which may seem familiar, yet completely different!
    • Added night version of the Great White North map to the Turf Takeover Playlist
    • Added Hide n' Find missions to Backyard Battleground
    • Added Bot & Pot Missions to Backyard Battleground
    • Added unique character variant images to group HUD
    • World Options now shows all friends playing the game, not just the joinable ones
    • Added classic setting in options to change primary fire button (PS4 Only)
    • Added Aim Sensitivity slider to now allow more precise control over aim speed (for PC this is broken up into both mouse and gamepad sensitivity)
    • Added ability to select between hold button to aim or toggle button to Aim
    • Added kick player option to the in-game scoreboard for easy access (player hosted modes only)
    • Added difficulty to Pause Menu for some game modes
    • Game Now defaults to common chat in Private Matches
    • Added ability to view scoreboard while vanquished

Critical Fixes
    • Reduced length of round timer between rounds in Multiplayer matches
    • Imp now properly earns XP when in Mech
    • Players can now see other players’ Backyard customizations when visiting their Backyard
    • Players can now see stats on other players stats boards when visiting their Backyard
    • Improved audio for garlic drone primary weapon
    • Setting HUD to "Light" now also hides XP Meter
    • Major improvements to hit reaction "flinching" animations
    • A plethora of quality & bug fixes

Tuning/Balance Notes
    Overall
    • Improved regeneration upgrade for all characters
    • Re-tuned all hit reactions for both players and AI to reduce the flinching effect even more

Rose:
    • Completely re-tuned Rose class, bringing her back into playing as a support role
    • Reduced Rose’s health
    • Major changes to her homing abilities, ineffective at range, requires player to lead target in order to land more hits
    • Slightly reduced rate of fire for Magic Thistles
    • Significantly reduced length a victim is trapped in Time Snare
    • Changed how Goatify ability works so that damage does not break Goatify, creating a more predictable and less jarring experience and lowered time as a goat
    • Slowed down rose variants (Fire, Ice) when charging their weapons to make them more vulnerable

Citron:
    • Slightly decreased the Party Citron laser damage

Corn:
    We needed to improve Corn's ability to be a front-line fighter so we increased his health and also improved his long range damage
    Reduced Party Corn's damage output

Chomper:
    • Decreased the digestion time after a chomp escape (i.e. your victim got away using anti-chomp ability like jackhammer)
    • Brought Chompers regeneration delay to parity with all other playable characters
    • Fixed a bug where Chomp Thing’s health regeneration didn’t match his weapon description. He now regenerates health slightly sooner and faster than default
    • Increased Unicorn Chomper’s Rainbow Warp cooldown time
    • Increased goop cooldown so it couldn't be spammed quite as much

Cactus:
    • Zen Cactus was too damaging and needed some damage and reload adjustments

Imp:
    • Imps tuning focused on ensuring he had a bit more survivability outside of his mech, and also improved his primary weapon slightly
    • Increased Imp health
    • Fixed a bug where the Imp couldn’t receive damage while he is making his Z-Mech phone call (he's now only invulnerable when the beam of light appears)
    • Reduced Party Imp's damage output

Super Brainz:
    • Slight cooldown reduction to Super Ultra Ball and Super Multi Ball abilities
    • Minor speed improvement to Turbo Twister but at the cost of decreased his armor while in Turbo Twister
    • Removed the decay from Toxic Brainz legendary meter to make it more useful
    • Damage reduction to Party Brainz

Captain Deadbeard:
    • We wanted to bring Captain Deadbeard closer to damage parity with Cactus, but just slightly below since he also benefits from his close range scatter shot
    • Made some movement speed improvements to his barrel when unlit
    • Made some damage reductions to Captain Partyman

Yay Rose nerfs and Imp buffs!

Very pleased to see Imp and Kernel Corn buffs!

It's good to see the Rose nerfs, but as someone who exclusively plays against bots, it saddens me. :P

The Imp absolutely did not need those buffs. He was BRUTAL in the demo and they basically just changed him to be that again (although a lot of that was based on Impkata which hasn't been changed).

But I thought he was completely playable at 50 health.

VERY happy to see the change in Goatify tho;. the damage breaking it thing was annoying. I don't they should have nerfed time freeze tho.

Imp didn't necessarily need a health buff, but did need something to make him better, IMO. I was thinking more along the lines of a slight Z-Mech cooldown reduction, but the HP increase is ok with me. Sounds like there's a party variant of the characters that was quite hefty in the damage department too. Now I'll never know =/

Is it possible to get Unicorn Chomper through a card pack? He showed up on a Chomper only team I played against, and looked awesome. I'm never going to take the time to grind out player levels in GW1, though...

Is it possible to get Unicorn Chomper through a card pack?

nope.

edited March 2016
    I sure am glad that Engineer is one of my favorite zombies. RNJesus has seen fit to bestow upon me Engineer stickers, and only Engineer stickers pretty much... I have a couple cacti and peashooter variants, and some All-Stars, and like... almost all the Engineers. I want some Pirates and Scientists, dangit! Also some new Citrons.
    Is it possible to get Unicorn Chomper through a card pack?

nope.
    Damn!

Skull2185 on
    I hates me some engineers.

And wow did they ever overnerf Roses and Over buff Imps. No one plays Roses any more and EVERYONE'S playing Imps.