As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stardew Valley

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    McHoger wrote: »
    Does anyone know the logic behind objects spawning overnight? I've lost 4 or 5 crop this summer due to being crushed beneath a newly spawned log.

The only one I'm aware of is that stone walls will randomly have rocks fall off of them onto adjacent tiles, which will absolutely crush plants.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    Does anyone know the logic behind objects spawning overnight? I've lost 4 or 5 crop this summer due to being crushed beneath a newly spawned log.

The only one I'm aware of is that stone walls will randomly have rocks fall off of them onto adjacent tiles, which will absolutely crush plants.

Just like real life. We had a stone garden feature that collapsed in a storm and crushed 3 entire rose bushes.

We are death to plants in real life though, which is why I need video games to satisfy my need to grow things.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    Something neat I discovered: You can get a recycling station to turn junk you catch from fishing into useful resources. Now I actually have to keep all those broken CDs I catch.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

I haven't had any logs show up, but I've chopped down all the trees anywhere near my plots.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I'm bad at this. I can't find the last two people to talk to. I'm sure I just haven't explored some house somewhere.
    I probably know which two you haven't.
    One of them is probably sebastion. He almost never leaves his room. Go to the carpenter's place between 3 and 4. That's his feeding hours.

The other might just be Pierre. I know I missed him, because I forgot to go around the counter and talk to him.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    New build!
    Gameplay Additions/Changes:
    The cooking menu now looks for items in your refrigerator as well as your inventory.
    Scarecrow range reduce to 8 tiles radius.
    Movement speed slightly increased.

The price of mayonnaise and other artisan animal products now increased by the rancher profession.
    Once you befriend someone to 2 hearts, their room is permanently unlocked, even if you go below 2 hearts again.
    Auto-run is now the default setting for new characters.

Bug Fixes
    Diagonal movement speed now proper.
    Fixed duplicate item issue in the mines.
    Ladders should no longer spawn underneath the player, locking them in place.
    Fixed problems with the Community Center menu. You can now throw items down and delete them ('delete' key) in the Community Center menu.
    Fixed item quality exploit.
    You can now throw items down while in the crafting menu.
    If you destroy the stable, you can now rebuild it.
    Spa won't recharge you while the game is paused (e.g. steam overlay up).
    Fixed problems with the Stardew Valley Fair fishing game.
    Various stability fixes.

The two bigs ones, really. Gonna need to build a second scarecrow now, heh.

Characters
  • Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Pro advice: Crops are locked to seasons for the most part. I massively overlooked this at the end of spring going into summer.

Who spent most of their fortune planting expensive Spring crops 2 days before Summer?

This guy.

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Yeah i assumed it would let existing ones finish their production. I just barely got my beam harvest in in time. I lost a bunch wild seeds though.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Does this game go on indefinitely?

Like, I have largely been farming at the expense of other things but I find myself wondering whether I'm going to be 'left behind' by world events

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    when you get a repeat artifact what are you supposed to do with it
    can you donate the same artifact to the museum repeatedly? or are you just supposed to sell it for a paltry sum

o, also, does anyone know if you can trample crops when you walk over them and thus have to add walking room to your farming formations, or can you just densely pack non-trellis crops around a scarecrow

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    I think someone mentioned the dev explicitly did not put in a marry or die timer like in the harvest moon games, but other than that, I'm not far enough to tell.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    can you donate the same artifact to the museum repeatedly? or are you just supposed to sell it for a paltry sum

o, also, does anyone know if you can trample crops when you walk over them and thus have to add walking room to your farming formations, or can you just densely pack non-trellis crops around a scarecrow

I've just been selling duplicate artifacts, but there may be another use for them.

You can't trample your crops as far as I know.

• Options
    Reddaye wrote: »
    P10 wrote: »

I've just been selling duplicate artifacts, but there may be another use for them.

You can't trample your crops as far as I know.

I have never damaged crops by trampling on them. You also can't accidentally cut down crops with a scythe. I'm pretty sure they put that in so you could put wheat/kale next to other vegetables and be able to harvest them safely.

You can however uproot a crop with a hoe or axe (maybe a pickaxe too, I haven't tried it) so make sure you don't have one of those equipped when you're messing around in your plots.

Also, once you get a weapon, you can use that to cut down bushes instead of your scythe. It doesn't cost energy.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Anyone having trouble with the in-game screen real estate (everything way too zoomed in compared to the screenshots) should give this solution a try. Even though I was able to use DSR through my video card that still only got about halfway to the actual look of the game. Using that tool to set it to 1440p was like night and day.

Like, here's how it looked at my native resolution of 1600x900
    VROIZug.jpg

Using DSR
    DNb1IJj.jpg

And then using that tool to upscale it
    jP3xPSs.jpg

Aistan on
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    How is the combat in this game? Is there more than just swing sword / shoot bow type stuff?

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    Just started messing with this yesterday. When does your favorite item come up? I was having trouble deciding on whether I should capitalize the word at character creation or have it plural. I just don't want it popping up in character dialogue and looking out of place. A randomly capitalized word or a plural word when it's only addressed as singular would drive me crazy.

I know, it's dumb. Anyone know how that is treated?

• Options
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    How is the combat in this game? Is there more than just swing sword / shoot bow type stuff?

Pretty much just swing sword. Combat is a small part of the game and mostly just there to make mining a little hazardous. Though you did get some sort of rewards from the adventurer's guild for killing x number of things in different categories. Also you can get accessories, some of which are combat only, but I found a magnet ring that increases item pickup radius, which applies outside of combat.
    However, unlike other tools, weapons have a secondary action. Left click is swing. With a sword, you can right click to block, and with a club, it does a large vertical swing with increased knockback. That's all I know so far.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

it's really simple, you just mash attack pretty much with swords

you do get a slingshot, but it's sort of hard to aim

generally though it's not that challenging or deep

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Fonjo wrote: »
    Just started messing with this yesterday. When does your favorite item come up? I was having trouble deciding on whether I should capitalize the word at character creation or have it plural. I just don't want it popping up in character dialogue and looking out of place. A randomly capitalized word or a plural word when it's only addressed as singular would drive me crazy.

I know, it's dumb. Anyone know how that is treated?

The one usage of it that I've seen is essentially in the form of "This reminds you of (your favorite thing)".

• Options
    That's going to be hilarious when all sorts of things remind me of "food".

Also, I got a cat from Marnie and it is such a goddamn cat.
    I was tilling out some new plots first day of summer and the damn cat just wandered up and flopped spreadeagled across 3 tiles and wouldn't move and I was like "Stupid cat! Quit helping! A dog would not do this to me!"
    Game is true to life.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Does anyone know where save files are located? I'd like to continue my game on my surface pro instead of starting a new one.

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    FYI if you wanna make the big bucks during fall, plant cranberries. Huge return on investment but they're like 260g per plant, so keep that in mind if you wanna buy them day 1 after summer.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    Quid wrote: »
    Does anyone know where save files are located? I'd like to continue my game on my surface pro instead of starting a new one.

Not sure, but according to the store page the game has Steam Cloud support.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Not sure, but according to the store page the game has Steam Cloud support.

Just finished downloading Steam and the game and YUP! Save file showed up right after I hit load.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Word of warning: I was playing on my couchputer, and moved over to my desktop. The switch, for whatever reason, lost several hours worth of progress between accounts, and I couldn't find a way to roll back to the version with more progress.

• Options
    RavelleRavelle Registered User regular

It's top down Terraria combat, hitting those flying buzzers is a nightmare.

Also, is there a way to get the chickens follow you? I've had them escape their fencing a couple of times and I see no way of putting them back.

D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    ...oh my god this came out at the best/worst possible time. I am in the middle of a job hunt so have free time, but need to watch my money. Choices.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I mean for $14 it has a pretty good value proposition, especially since you can re-play it at least two times and have it be fairly different.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Should I just blindly accept every quest on the bulletin board? I notice they change daily.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Yeah I went ahead and got it. Thought it was gonna be a 25-30+ game, but for only 15 it was a no brainer.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Taya wrote: »
    Should I just blindly accept every quest on the bulletin board? I notice they change daily.

you can. I've seen no repercussions for not fulfilling the quest board. You'll note that there are expiration limits on the quests so its either, you have it stored in a bin, or you go and do it *right now* sorta thing

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Oh shit, this game has combat and monsters?

I was hopelessly addicted to Rune Factory 1-3.

I haven't gotten far into the game yet, but from what I understand the combat is only a very tiny part of the game.
    Damn.

Still though, probably going to end up buying it soon. Been feeling pretty shit lately and I could use a nice relaxing game about country and corn.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Caught one of the legendary fish just now. I'm still not that enamored with the fishing minigame, but it did feel like one hell of a fight at least.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Caught one of the legendary fish just now. I'm still not that enamored with the fishing minigame, but it did feel like one hell of a fight at least.

Yeah, it's nothing amazing. Then again, I've never seen a fishing mini game I liked outside Ocarina of Time.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Figgy wrote: »

Yeah, it's nothing amazing. Then again, I've never seen a fishing mini game I liked outside Ocarina of Time.

I don't want to talk about the amount of time spent convinced there was a secret fishing area/secret fish behind the crack in the wall.

Characters
  • Options
    Figgy wrote: »

I don't want to talk about the amount of time spent convinced there was a secret fishing area/secret fish behind the crack in the wall.

If you like.. roll into it just right. With the water suit on. At night. When you hear a bird chirp.

• Options
    Hahaha, this is what my screen looks like after cranking up the DSR on my card: http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/308865903687964499/AF03EDA49B471CA7C4DD269456FE8E24727FB6AB/

• Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    I'm gonna use fishing to bolster my cash reserves and plant some high yield stuff at the very start of Summer. Once you get the second pole and bait, you can make some very decent money.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    So I'm assuming that one month in game is a season, yea or nay?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    So I'm assuming that one month in game is a season, yea or nay?

Yup. You can check out the calendar to see what month-season it is, birthdays, etc.