As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Forgotten Sorceries

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited March 2016 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Forgotten Sorceries

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    ViRGEViRGE Registered User regular
    For the record, the 32X version of Night Trap was far better than the original Sega CD version. The more powerful add-on meant that they could use better video compression and a wider color palette, so it wasn't full of blocky artifacts and color dithering.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I always appreciate these "Gabe is a traumatized Sega veteran from the early 90's console wars" comics when they appear.

540837405_nK8hG-1050x10000.jpg

I also like the 4th wall break in the last panel, reminiscent of one of my favorite comics:

689618845_tgR5U-1050x10000.jpg

(I find myself thinking of the "Hello, America's pulverized skullfucked corpse" line a lot these days.)

Gaslight on
  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    When I think of upgrades to consoles I immediately think of the N64 Expansion Pak which boosted the N64's RAM. It was pretty painless to plug it in and go.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    So I understand the urge to try to upgrade the console so it has the highest numbers. I do. Maybe even to accommodate 4k tvs because they are awesome.

But seriously, the best way to get more people to buy your console is to have more games, and better games than anyone else, so invest in making it cheaper to develop games for your console. I don't know how to do it, but you're Microsoft you can figure it out. It's not flashy, but telling a dev it is only going to cost 48 million as opposed to 63 million to make a game because of all these really powerful tools and shortcuts available. That is a good way to get publishers on board.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "... and then you've got Night Trap."

And no one wants that.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    I also like the 4th wall break in the last panel, reminiscent of one of my favorite comics:

I thought that was a Night Trap refernce, the reader as a cctv camera

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Zomro wrote: »
    When I think of upgrades to consoles I immediately think of the N64 Expansion Pak which boosted the N64's RAM. It was pretty painless to plug it in and go.

That doesn't really count, since the console was designed with expansion in mind.

Tho come to think of it, a lot of consoles back then had mysterious panels and ports that didn't do anything... until they did.

Heh, even the PS Vita has a mysterious video out port that never got used.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I...I love Night Trap. Does that make me a terrible person?

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    mekman 2mekman 2 a goober Registered User regular
    Yeah, this sort of thing is never a good idea. I remember visiting my cousin recently (sometime last month) hoping to play some TitanFall. First the Xbox One needed to upgrade which took forever, then we needed the correct user password to get into the OS, then the game needed to patch, then finally we needed to pay a dollar (minimum) to get into the game he had already paid $60.00 for just to play online, it's like they have a fear of success! I had long since downloaded Fantastic Plastic Squad for free on my iPhone, well into all the wall-running and pew-pew action I had been craving (sans the giant robots.. for now...), before calling the whole thing off.

• Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    *nod*lpnonbaljip2.jpg

my first thought was, of course, PC MASTER RACE 4LIFE

my second thought was.. uh yeah about that?
    z0fdy1lm0rco.jpg

seriously people?

jwalk on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I do not think that picture of a 5000 dollar graphics set up is representative of real life PC builds. That looks like three cards SLI'd with a built in cooler. That is beyond an enthusiast setup.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    mekman 2 wrote: »
    Yeah, this sort of thing is never a good idea. I remember visiting my cousin recently (sometime last month) hoping to play some TitanFall. First the Xbox One needed to upgrade which took forever, then we needed the correct user password to get into the OS, then the game needed to patch, then finally we needed to pay a dollar (minimum) to get into the game he had already paid $60.00 for just to play online, it's like they have a fear of success! I had long since downloaded Fantastic Plastic Squad for free on my iPhone, well into all the wall-running and pew-pew action I had been craving (sans the giant robots.. for now...), before calling the whole thing off.

You and I have had a very different Titanfall experience because none of this makes sense to me.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular

Uh, had he never played the Xbox prior to that point? If he just bought it that would explain having to update the console and signing into his account along with patching any games, but even then I have no idea what the dollar payment is referring to. Did he not have Xbox Live and you're referring to activating it?

• Options
    edited March 2016

You and I have had a very different Titanfall experience because none of this makes sense to me.

Sorry about my syntax if that's the issue. Otherwise getting started with a modern console shouldn't be as hard as it was here. We hadn't used the machine for a while before sitting down to play so of course that was a factor, it's just we hit so many walls trying to get a game going, a game we had only intended to play for a short amount of time. It was a discouraging experience, so adding to the hardware/software bulk is the worst idea MS could possibly have. Besides the Xbox One is already capable of spitting out sweet-ass looking visuals, unless it's a robot they're adding they don't need to build another wall. It's harder to get into an Xbox One than Jay Z's club, Cortana may as well say, "Your shoes are wrong."

mekman 2 on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I do not think that picture of a 5000 dollar graphics set up is representative of real life PC builds. That looks like three cards SLI'd with a built in cooler. That is beyond an enthusiast setup.

I was thinking about getting a car, but then I stumbled into a Lamborghini dealership and that just seems way too expensive.

• Options
    swaylowswaylow Registered User regular
    Over at Ars Technica folks are speculating he meant the "Xbox Two", aka an upgraded Xbox One, will be fully backwards compatible with Xbox One games and that the original Xbox One will be forwards compatible with "Xbox Two" games, albeit at reduced performance. That would make a hell of a lot more sense - allows them to cut short the current generation without totally alienating that generation of buyers.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    I...I love Night Trap. Does that make me a terrible person?

@Mr_Grinch Nah, it makes you an awesome person. The cheddar!... 8-) :+1:

• Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    it's a 3-way sli setup with an external water cooler. yeah of course it's way over the top.
    and then over another, even higher, hidden top...

but so is the stacked Sega CD 32X picture.

both are real

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    But the only thing unusual in the console picture is maybe the game genie. If you had a 32X you certainly had a sega cd first.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular

Sorry about my syntax if that's the issue. Otherwise getting started with a modern console shouldn't be as hard as it was here. We hadn't used the machine for a while before sitting down to play so of course that was a factor, it's just we hit so many walls trying to get a game going, a game we had only intended to play for a short amount of time. It was a discouraging experience, so adding to the hardware/software bulk is the worst idea MS could possibly have. Besides the Xbox One is already capable of spitting out sweet-ass looking visuals, unless it's a robot they're adding they don't need to build another wall. It's harder to get into an Xbox One than Jay Z's club, Cortana may as well say, "Your shoes are wrong."

I'm guessing he didn't have it plugged in prior to that either then? The system automatically does most of the updates you mentioned while in sleep mode to expressly prevent the awful wait time between the turning it on and playing your game that you had to experience. I have no idea what this fee was you mentioned though.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    But the only thing unusual in the console picture is maybe the game genie. If you had a 32X you certainly had a sega cd first.

And a lot of people had Game Genies back in the day

Magazines even printed lists of Game Genie codes

• Options
    LostNinja wrote: »
    I'm guessing he didn't have it plugged in prior to that either then? The system automatically does most of the updates you mentioned while in sleep mode to expressly prevent the awful wait time between the turning it on and playing your game that you had to experience. I have no idea what this fee was you mentioned though.

In hindsight I guess we had shelved the Xbox One for so long that we needed to renew the subscription, but by then it wasn't worth it. It's still not the first time anyone has caught their console with its pants down needing to patch itself then the game before you start a play session of any length, that's been an issue since the last generation, plugged in or not.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    In hindsight I guess we had shelved the Xbox One for so long

This is the "real" problem for Microsoft, and it's one Mike/Gabe apparently struggle with as well.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    But seriously, the best way to get more people to buy your console is to have more games, and better games than anyone else, so invest in making it cheaper to develop games for your console.

Actually the best way to get people to buy your console is to not have an utterly baffling and consumer alienating launch/lead up that completely leaves your reputation in the trash, then tie it to an albatross in terms of technology that leaves you significantly more expensive than your similarly powered competition.

That's really the main lesson.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Don't volunteer to job against John Cena.

• Options
    shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    "And a lot of people had Game Genies back in the day

Magazines even printed lists of Game Genie codes"

so true. game genie was really popular going all the way back to the nes.
    I miss it tbh though I read there's one for the ps3 now but its buggy when it comes to trophies an such. It'd be nice if cheat codes were more prevalent again someday.

shadowysea07 on