As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Black Desert Online (Orwen Server Ch. Mediah O1)

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Holy cow there is a lot going on in this game. Super overwhelming, but awesome.

Arthil - Sounds great. I'll be on all night. I'm just running through the 'tutorial' stuff currently.

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    @vamen What channel are you on?

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    I'm in Serendia 02, if you could switch. I can't for another 15 minutes

Okay making my way onto another character that'll be in Olvia.

edited March 2016
    Arthil wrote: »
    Okay making my way onto another character that'll be in Olvia.

On my way. I was in the western gate camp so I'll be there shortly.

EDIT - oh and my character is Sylviv Vamenn (Family name)

vamen on
    @vamen I'll be by the stable master

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Changed my industry from Black Stone Powder centric to Beer focused. Axenbrau, for when you're feeling low and want to feel a little lower!

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    I'm not yet sure what I should be focusing on for crafting yet on my Sorceress, or what buildings to buy where. There's just so much I could choose!

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    The whole crafting thing is very daunting. Like I want to make my own fishing poles. Well, that requires me to have a foundry, and a workshop and a couple of workers. All that just to make fishing poles for myself. Seems like it would be better to just buy them off of the marketplace.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
    I do enjoy the mercantile options of crafting.

Sell just processed materials? Go ahead!
    Sell component parts? Have at it!
    Sell finished products? Whatever floats your boat!

Given how the industry side of things works you can make a killing doing any of those.

Also while you can be fairly self sufficient in at least one type of industry, in practice the game is designed to encourage you to buy parts/resources from others to complete your objective.

While the min/max prices on the Marketplace are regulated by some sort of supply/demand formula making it so you don't need to worry about some rich asshole crashing the market, you do still need to make sure people are demanding your supply. On the Marketplace screen when looking at an item on the far right side are two symbols, one above the other. Think of them like this, the top one is basically the demand and the bottom is the supply. If the top number is much smaller than the bottom number chances are good no one is buying that item. In reality the top number is the total amount of sales for that item (not sure if it is all time or day or what). The bottom number is the total amount of that item currently for sale.

Today we'll be able to get @ringswraith @Camui and @Ghlinn into the clan!

• GhlinnGhlinn Registered User regular
    What's the easiest way to meet up @Arthil ? I've just been running around near Velia on Serendia 2 trying to get my bearings.

steam_sig.png
  • ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Today we'll be able to get @ringswraith *snip* into the clan!

Won't be online for another 11 hours-ish from now, so I might be a while! But definitely excited. :)

Ghlinn wrote: »
    What's the easiest way to meet up @Arthil ? I've just been running around near Velia on Serendia 2 trying to get my bearings.

That's all the information I needed @Ghlinn go and chill out near the docks and I'll be there in a sec.

Looks like they are doing a +15% xp from monster event from 19:00-23:00 tonight.. It's not clear if that is EST or PST. The forum post on it (http://forum.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?/topic/28646-event-head-start-compensation-event/) says EST but the server message that just went out said PST, I would guess EST is likely correct (4-8 PST , 7-11 EST makes more sense I think.)

steam_sig.png
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Is there a way I can download and install the game to be ready for tomorrows public release? I don't see a way to download the client on the website.

I don't know if I'm gonna like it from how hardcore this thread makes it seem, but I'd like to at least give it a whirl.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Is there a way I can download and install the game to be ready for tomorrows public release? I don't see a way to download the client on the website.

I don't know if I'm gonna like it from how hardcore this thread makes it seem, but I'd like to at least give it a whirl.

You can just downloaded it from your account page on the website.

https://www.blackdesertonline.com/myinfo/ That's the account page, http://akamai-gamecdn.blackdesertonline.com/live001/game/download/setup/BlackDesertOnlineSetup_20160228_1005.exe is the direct link I have from the download button. I can't remember if you had to log in before downloading the whole game but I don't think I did.

The game doesn't really seem that hardcore, at least yet, although I am only 12 and have been running around the starter area mostly so that could change.

steam_sig.png
    edited March 2016
    Thanks for the link.

I think I went full dumb cause I couldn't even find a link to register.

edit
    Yeah, full dumb, cause this was the site that came up when I was looking to register/download http://black-desert.com/

Buttcleft on
    Oh sheesh yeah that's not the official site, not even sure I wanna click that.

Oh sheesh yeah that's not the official site, not even sure I wanna click that.

I think its a fan site or something. Doesn't seem outright malicious since theres no obvious "Register here" links or anything.

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    So does anyone have a direct link for the character creator that was up before?

I can't find it, anywhere

fuck gendered marketing
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Heh berserker is pretty fun.

*STOMP STOMP STOMP*

Elldren wrote: »

They removed access to it on the 22nd.

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

They removed access to it on the 22nd.

oh boo

so i'm going to have to spend tomorrow making characters then

fuck gendered marketing
    Wait, I just noticed.. people are saying the game is buy 2 play, that's only for the closed beta right? It'll be f2p tomorrow with the public launch?

Or will you have to buy to play it regardless?

• FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    @Buttcleft it should be B2P, with 'cosmetic' cash shop...

I will be interested in a trial code tomorrow, :winky:

Feldorn on
    Feldorn wrote: »

Oh, Welp, sorry to waste everyones time then. Thanks for the kindness and help, however, I'll bugger off now. Hope you all enjoy it

edited March 2016
    I've seen this brought up in a number of places, but BDO really does feel like a pre-WoW MMO brought to the modern age and updated.

EQ was my first MMO and I've played a ton of them since, but I never recaptured that sense of wonder with I had with EQ.

This game comes damn close. Like 73% there.

BDO gives you all the tools you need and any info you want is right there in game (often with little videos detailing stuff).

Then game goes, "Alright, here's some stuff, here's what you can do, now go my child. All you see is for you!"

Axen on
  • TagTag Registered User regular
    Hey guys, thought I would pop in and say hi since I added my self to the sheet.

Been playing the head start mostly solo while I get the game figured out, but liking it so far. Hopefully I'll see some of you all in game. I'm mostly on my Wizard "Tome", family name "Foolery".

Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • TulabelleTulabelle Registered User regular
    I'm a sucker for MMOs so I might pick this up and take it for a spin this weekend. Maybe it will fill that hole in my heart since SWG left me. Maybe it will be another MMO I binge on for 3 months and quit. Who knows?

Buttcleft wrote: »
    Feldorn wrote: »

Oh, Welp, sorry to waste everyones time then. Thanks for the kindness and help, however, I'll bugger off now. Hope you all enjoy it

Well if $30 ends up being reasonable for you in the future feel free to join us @Buttcleft

• MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    I have a group of three that all picked this up, though only one of us got a pre order. His first impression was that it was going to be short on content for us. That true? What kinds of things will work well with a small group?

@Madpoet You'll definitely be a bit quicker while grinding out your levels. Otherwise there's some stuff you can do together, but the game has some restrictions on trading. If you mean like group dungeon content, there is none of that in this game really at least not until a few updates in.

For now just treat it like a life sim, choose what you want to do. Whether it be combat, farming, fishing, crafting or a whole host of other things.

There are dungeons, but non-instanced. Though the three I've found I think are for 50's. Hell they might all be.

• hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    There are also boss scrolls to summon a big baddie to fight. These seem to get the most lfg chatter aside from general grinding.

• TagTag Registered User regular
    Anyone know what city is best to really set up shop in? Trying to figure out where to really build houses so I don't have to cart things around all the time.

Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
    Tag wrote: »
    Anyone know what city is best to really set up shop in? Trying to figure out where to really build houses so I don't have to cart things around all the time.

Heidel I'd say. Fairly central location and you'll spend a lot of time in there.