As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Black Desert Online (Orwen Server Ch. Mediah O1)

• TagTag Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Tag wrote: »
    Anyone know what city is best to really set up shop in? Trying to figure out where to really build houses so I don't have to cart things around all the time.

Heidel I'd say. Fairly central location and you'll spend a lot of time in there.

Ah cool, I just made it there tonight. I've been doing every... single... quest so I've been a bit slow :P Good for the ol' contribution points and life skills though!

Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    So unless someone else got them we still need to get @Tag and @Skroo into the game. Tomorrow though(or technically in three hours if you wanna be picky) we can get everyone else in. Plus those of us who pre-ordered will be able to give out our guest passes.

I'm going to need to upgrade us into a guild at that point, as I'm sure we'll get more than 15 players. It costs me 100,000 silver but I think even with an upgrade 80,000 of that goes into the guild coffers. To increase those coffers we must do guild quests, this is important because each and every one of you will have a contract. You'll be paid a salary essentially from the coffers daily, so we gotta make sure the guild is rich so we can all get paid.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    edited March 2016
    Arthil wrote: »
    So unless someone else got them we still need to get @Tag

I may be misunderstanding you but I am in game, just with limited time atm since my job requires a lot of reporting on the political current events (unfortunately...) :P

Skroo sent me a friend request tonight and I'll keep an eye out for the rest of y'all tomorrow night and especially over the weekend when I should be on for more time.

Tag on
    @Tag I may be able to get you in now.

• ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Sorry guys- got sidetracked with other stuff. I am patching now and should be online soon. Just gotta create a character...

We'll see you in a few hours.

Heh. I'm actually loading into the game now, if you're still around.

edited March 2016
    Haha just closed the client but can get you real quick. Hop into Serendia 02.

Arthil on

Heh. I'm actually loading into the game now, if you're still around.

@ringswraith More specifically meet me in Olvia when you're in the Serendia 02 channel.

edited March 2016
    Haha just closed the client but can get you real quick. Hop into Serendia 02.

It's telling me I have to wait a couple minutes to do so. I'm currently in Velia 01, standing near the mayor of Olvia.

EDIT: Looks like I can change channel soon. Will edit again when I'm there.

EDIT: Ok, I'm on Serendia 02. Char name Kuroinu.

ringswraith on
    @ringswraith Gonna need to go back to the mayor :P

edited March 2016
    @ringswraith Gonna need to go back to the mayor :P

Haha sorry- I thought it'd be the easiest place to spot me.

EDIT: Of course when I said "mayor" I meant Chief- as in Chief Bartali.

ringswraith on
    @ringswraith No I mean you're not here.

@ringswraith No I mean you're not here.

Oh. Odd. It says I'm currently in Serendia 02 and I'm standing on the steps in front of Igor Bartali...

@ringswraith Umm, you dun goofed. You must have made your character on the wrong server. We're on Orwen.

No, pretty sure I made it on Orwen. Though I keep seeing messages saying I'm in the tutorial. Do I need to be out of it first?

Ah that may be it, gotta hit the dummies and stuff.

edited March 2016
    Ah that may be it, gotta hit the dummies and stuff.

Ah. Well if you don't mind waiting I can go do that real quick.

EDIT: Ok, beat up the scarecrows. I'm back at Bartali.

ringswraith on
    @ringswraith I've been sending you direct messages, need to do this soon the servers are coming down.

@ringswraith I've been sending you direct messages, need to do this soon the servers are coming down.

Thanks! Sorry for the confusion.

• FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Question about classes.

Warrior looks cool...and I pretty much always go for warrior in every game ever. (ok, that was a statement)

How is Ranger? Are they solid all the way through the levels, or do they have serious weak points.

Is Sorceress a solid choice? The idea of wielding a Scythe is always arousing to me. Dervish from Guild Wars is just awesome. (I realize it requires lvl.56)

Feldorn on
    I've heard Ranger is a bit slow to start but opens up more in their 20's. Sorceress is fine, but you won't be wielding a scythe as one for months and months.

Hey @Arthil sorry I missed you, I went to bed right after my last post. I'll be on tonight though.

So how are people planning out their alts? I've been playing almost exclusively Wizard in release, but I have a Berserker, Valk, and Ranger alt waiting in the wings. I figure I'll get some industry going on my Wiz and then mostly use them to farm worker gathering / production until I have a chance to actually play them, but not sure if there is some more efficient use.

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Holy cow this game is dangerous. It's got a hold on me!
    Despite my making a Valk as my main, I've ended up favoring my Wizard alt and have been mostly playing him. For the amount of hours I have in the game, it's crazy I'm only 15. Been raising all those sweet, sweet trade skills and crafting skills. This game must be huge because I'm still in the third town for the most part. I've only JUST barely gone to Heidel, which made my brain explode with just how many npcs I could talk to and get quests from.

So has anyone successful made copper ingots? I was under the impression you heated ore to make shards, then you heated 10 shards to make an ingot. Anytime I try it tells me "nothing will be made this way." I used the ingame wiki and it mentioned a "heated:beginner" (I think) skill from an NPC quest in Heidel. Any idea if it's gated that way? I went to talk to him but I still need a little knowledge about some specific topic before he'll give me any quests.

Also, how do you feed workers? I saw the 'recover' button but it kept saying I didn't have enough food, so I assume I need special food the way pets do? I didn't even realize they needed food until I tried to send mine to work and it said he had no stamina. I hadn't previously noticed a bar.

vamen on
    vamen wrote: »
    So has anyone successful made copper ingots? I was under the impression you heated ore to make shards, then you heated 10 shards to make an ingot. Anytime I try it tells me "nothing will be made this way." I used the ingame wiki and it mentioned a "heated:beginner" (I think) skill from an NPC quest in Heidel. Any idea if it's gated that way? I went to talk to him but I still need a little knowledge about some specific topic before he'll give me any quests.

I looked this up because there is a broken quest in Veilia that is meant to require ore but requires ingots instead. Looks like it is unlocked via knowledge from a quest. Unfortunately I don't recall the name of the quest giver (I assumed I would run into it naturally in Heidel).
    Also, how do you feed workers? I saw the 'recover' button but it kept saying I didn't have enough food, so I assume I need special food the way pets do? I didn't even realize they needed food until I tried to send mine to work and it said he had no stamina. I hadn't previously noticed a bar.

You need particular food to regen worker stamina. Consensus seems to be that Beer is the most efficient option. It's easy to cook if you have the recipe, but is also super cheap from NPCs in inns and such.

I looked this up because there is a broken quest in Veilia that is meant to require ore but requires ingots instead. Looks like it is unlocked via knowledge from a quest. Unfortunately I don't recall the name of the quest giver (I assumed I would run into it naturally in Heidel).

You need particular food to regen worker stamina. Consensus seems to be that Beer is the most efficient option. It's easy to cook if you have the recipe, but is also super cheap from NPCs in inns and such.

That might be the very quest I'm doing that made me start down the path of making ingots. It says I need an ore and some logs, but when you try to turn it in you instead need copper ingots and ash wood logs (or maybe planks).

Ah cool, thanks, beer it is! I think I have that recipe.
    I need to do the same for pet food. Feeding a pet from store food is expensive.
    ...I think, anyway. I have no real grasp of money in this game yet. But for what I have in my possession, it's a lot =p.

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    I have over 50 hours logged in the game and am lvl 22 lol. But I have max energy of 72 and like 54 CP, so I've been getting stuff done, just not leveling stuff, which is completely fine for this game.

I also broke the 1m silver line last night, so I got one of the 1m silver gold ingots.

Feels baller man.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    I'm strangely thinking about getting into this game. I say 'strangely' because I'm normally not into games that are PvP-focused, but after poking around and seeing more about it, I have to admit I am drawn to the idea of a sandbox game where I can create my own little empire... or more likely be a part of someone's empire as I'm a dirty casual who's not likely to get very far on his own.

Anyhow, I'm still thinking it over but may get in this weekend. Is the $50 pack worth it over the $30 version? It looks like all you get is a horse and a horse whistle (plus guest passes), but maybe having a horse is that important?

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Beer is 5 wheat, 1 sugar, 2 something Agents, and 6 mineral water if memory serves. Apart from the wheat the rest is sold at a barkeep for dirt cheap. You need to cook it at a cooking station (which you can buy from the barkeep and put in your house).

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    I have over 50 hours logged in the game and am lvl 22 lol. But I have max energy of 72 and like 54 CP, so I've been getting stuff done, just not leveling stuff, which is completely fine for this game.

I also broke the 1m silver line last night, so I got one of the 1m silver gold ingots.

Feels baller man.

*cheer*
    That is a far cry from my 90k =p.

That might be the very quest I'm doing that made me start down the path of making ingots. It says I need an ore and some logs, but when you try to turn it in you instead need copper ingots and ash wood logs (or maybe planks).

Ah cool, thanks, beer it is! I think I have that recipe.
    I need to do the same for pet food. Feeding a pet from store food is expensive.
    ...I think, anyway. I have no real grasp of money in this game yet. But for what I have in my possession, it's a lot =p.

Yep, that's the quest! I ended up just skipping that line since I don't think it unlocks any useful knowledge -- I may go back to it later.

Regarding the pet food, if you get your amity up with a stable master I think most of them sell basic pet food pretty cheaply. There may also be a recipe but I can't recall...

If you've talked to everyone in Veilia it is pretty easy to unlock the Amity store from the Veilia stable master via conversation. The mini-game is poorly explained but not very difficult once you get the hang of it.

I'm not sure how all the conversation and amenity stuff works yet, I'll read up on it today so I can look into that. I've played it a few times but I was 100% just randomly picking the npc order.

edited March 2016
    So I'm loving the game. It's scratching all the right itches for me and I feel confident in saying that it is unlike any other MMO out there.

However, because of that I find it hard to describe the game to other people. :razz:

It really is something people on the fence have to try for themselves I think.

Axen on
    edited March 2016
    I'm not sure how all the conversation and amenity stuff works yet, I'll read up on it today so I can look into that. I've played it a few times but I was 100% just randomly picking the npc order.

Since I'm super bored today, here's my mini guide from blowing a few energy bars on it :p

Amity:
    • When you target an NPC, you can see your Amity with them in the lower left (looks like a dashed circle).
    • As you gain amity with that NPC, the circle will fill in, starting at the top and moving clockwise
    • Around the circle may be some notes that you can mouse over. They'll tell you what you unlock if you fill in the circle to that point. Note that not all NPCs have these, so raising amity with everyone isn't strictly necessary (as far as I know)
    • Some examples of things you can unlock are: knowledge & lore, buffs, quests, stores, and more products within a store.
    • Note that you will usually have to end the dialog with the NPC and talk to them again in order for the amity unlocks to show up

Minigame Basics:
    • When you start a conversation, it will cost you some energy and take you to the first round of the minigame.
    • In the center is the NPC's horoscope shape with various circles
    • In the bottom right are various circles with knowledge you've unlocked that interest the NPC (Usually other NPCs from the same town, but not always)
    • In basic terms, your goal is to fill in their horoscope circles with your knowledge circles to gain amity with them. The way to do that is below.

Rounds:
    • At the top of the screen, there is a goal. Meet the goal to gain amity with the NPC.
    • Goals usually ask you to accomplish something. Usually it will be something like "spark their interest X times" or "gain X influence" etc. A "talk freely" goal will auto succeed.
    • If you meet the goal, you will "bank" amity. You'll also be given a choice: end the conversation and gain that amity, or do another round of conversation for free (no energy cost).
    • You'll carry your banked amity over to the next round if you choose that option (so if you got +10 amity in round 1 and +20 in round 2, you will have a total of +30 banked amity). You can do a total of 3 rounds if you feel lucky.
    • If you do another round and succeed you will get the option to bank your amity and go on to the next round again.
    • However, if you lose, you lose *all* the banked amity, so it's a gamble.

How to actually play:
    • If you mouse over your knowledge circles, you'll see a couple of stats.
    • One is "Interest". This is a measure of how interested the NPC is in discussing this knowledge with you. The important part of this is the listed percentage, which tells you what the chance is that you'll "spark interest" with that topic when it comes up. Sparking or failing to spark interest is often a Round Goal.
    • The other important one is "Influence". If you spark interest in a topic, it will award you its influence. Gaining X amount of Influence is often a Round Goal. The influence you've accumulated in the round is also what determines how much Amity you will earn in that round.
    • Some knowledge circles will also have a "special effect". Usually this seems to be a temporary debuff to the conversation after X rounds. Most of the time, these effects are so small you can basically ignore them, but try to put them at the end of the conversation so that the effect doesn't have a chance to kick in.
    • The goal is to use as many high interest, high influence knowledge circles while making sure to complete the round objective. Remember, if you fail the objective, you get nothing.
    • Once you start the conversation, the game will move from circle to circle, applying the effect of what knowledge is in that circle. If you get a blue smiley face, you sparked interest, while a gray frown means you failed to do so.
    • Most Horoscope shapes have a linear path -- they'll start at one circle and follow arrows hitting each circle once. However, some horoscope shapes are tricky and will hit some nodes multiple times. You can use this to your advantage by putting particularly good knowledge in those circles.

Things I'm not sure about:
    • Some knowledge circles will emit a faint blue line to other knowledge circles when placed. I am not 100% sure what this indicates
    • I don't recall for sure if you lose any influence for a failure to spark interest. Usually I stack nodes that will fail to spark interest or are risky at the start, just in case.
    • Similarly, I'm not sure if there is a bonus for chaining multiple "spark interests" in a row
    • I'm also not sure if there is a bonus for lasting through more rounds other than the energy cost savings.

Even with the unknowns, I've found I can usually get about 100-200 amity per conversation (so 50-100 amity per energy), and since it takes a few minutes to play the game I usually recoup some of my losses. How many rounds to go depends kind of on your feelings -- some NPCs have many knowledge circles you can use -- which makes it easier to accomplish round goals -- while others can totally screw you over by demanding nearly impossible to meet goals.

All-in-all a neat, but somewhat convoluted mini game.

Tag on
    edited March 2016
    One other thing to add is that a lot of the Merchants sell the same items as their counterparts in other towns.

What ends up happening, in a bizarre true to life kind of way, is that you'll end up having certain merchants that you'll continue to go back to simply because you have a ton of topics to talk about making it much easier to have "conversations" with them. As opposed to some random dude you just met. :razz:

Edit- Oh! You can greet NPCs (F1 I think) and it will automatically increase Amity by 10ish. You can only do this to the same NPC once every so often.

Axen on
  • AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    Looks like the game is live if anyone is waiting.

Since I'm super bored today, here's my mini guide from blowing a few energy bars on it :p

Amity:
    • When you target an NPC, you can see your Amity with them in the lower left (looks like a dashed circle).
    • As you gain amity with that NPC, the circle will fill in, starting at the top and moving clockwise
    • Around the circle may be some notes that you can mouse over. They'll tell you what you unlock if you fill in the circle to that point. Note that not all NPCs have these, so raising amity with everyone isn't strictly necessary (as far as I know)
    • Some examples of things you can unlock are: knowledge & lore, buffs, quests, stores, and more products within a store.
    • Note that you will usually have to end the dialog with the NPC and talk to them again in order for the amity unlocks to show up

Minigame Basics:
    • When you start a conversation, it will cost you some energy and take you to the first round of the minigame.
    • In the bottom right are various circles with knowledge you've unlocked that interest the NPC (Usually other NPCs from the same town, but not always)
    • In basic terms, your goal is to fill in their horoscope circles with your knowledge circles to gain amity with them. The way to do that is below.

Rounds:
    • At the top of the screen, there is a goal. Meet the goal to gain amity with the NPC.
    • Goals usually ask you to accomplish something. Usually it will be something like "spark their interest X times" or "gain X influence" etc. A "talk freely" goal will auto succeed.
    • If you meet the goal, you will "bank" amity. You'll also be given a choice: end the conversation and gain that amity, or do another round of conversation for free (no energy cost).
    • You'll carry your banked amity over to the next round if you choose that option (so if you got +10 amity in round 1 and +20 in round 2, you will have a total of +30 banked amity). You can do a total of 3 rounds if you feel lucky.
    • If you do another round and succeed you will get the option to bank your amity and go on to the next round again.

How to actually play:
    • One is "Interest". This is a measure of how interested the NPC is in discussing this knowledge with you. The important part of this is the listed percentage, which tells you what the chance is that you'll "spark interest" with that topic when it comes up. Sparking or failing to spark interest is often a Round Goal.
    • The other important one is "Influence". If you spark interest in a topic, it will award you its influence. Gaining X amount of Influence is often a Round Goal. The influence you've accumulated in the round is also what determines how much Amity you will earn in that round.
    • Some knowledge circles will also have a "special effect". Usually this seems to be a temporary debuff to the conversation after X rounds. Most of the time, these effects are so small you can basically ignore them, but try to put them at the end of the conversation so that the effect doesn't have a chance to kick in.
    • The goal is to use as many high interest, high influence knowledge circles while making sure to complete the round objective. Remember, if you fail the objective, you get nothing.
    • Once you start the conversation, the game will move from circle to circle, applying the effect of what knowledge is in that circle. If you get a blue smiley face, you sparked interest, while a gray frown means you failed to do so.
    • Most Horoscope shapes have a linear path -- they'll start at one circle and follow arrows hitting each circle once. However, some horoscope shapes are tricky and will hit some nodes multiple times. You can use this to your advantage by putting particularly good knowledge in those circles.

• Some knowledge circles will emit a faint blue line to other knowledge circles when placed. I am not 100% sure what this indicates
    • I don't recall for sure if you lose any influence for a failure to spark interest. Usually I stack nodes that will fail to spark interest or are risky at the start, just in case.
    • Similarly, I'm not sure if there is a bonus for chaining multiple "spark interests" in a row
    • I'm also not sure if there is a bonus for lasting through more rounds other than the energy cost savings.

Even with the unknowns, I've found I can usually get about 100-200 amity per conversation (so 50-100 amity per energy), and since it takes a few minutes to play the game I usually recoup some of my losses. How many rounds to go depends kind of on your feelings -- some NPCs have many knowledge circles you can use -- which makes it easier to accomplish round goals -- while others can totally screw you over by demanding nearly impossible to meet goals.

Wow. That's pretty in-depth. One question- is all this timed? Or are you free to figure things out / plan your approach as you go?

One thing I think I should mention, based on the trouble @Arthil went through trying to get me into the guild: You can't be invited until after you do the combat training quest (where you smack the scarecrows around for a bit). Until then you're invisible to other players.

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    ok so... what is this sub-server thingy?

fuck gendered marketing
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular

Amity:

Minigame Basics:

Rounds:

How to actually play:

Wow. That's pretty in-depth. One question- is all this timed? Or are you free to figure things out / plan your approach as you go?

One thing I think I should mention, based on the trouble @Arthil went through trying to get me into the guild: You can't be invited until after you do the combat training quest (where you smack the scarecrows around for a bit). Until then you're invisible to other players.

Not timed, plan accordingly.
    Elldren wrote: »
    ok so... what is this sub-server thingy?

Instances. They are switchable.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
    Many of us seem to congregate on Serendia 02. But yeah, they're just channels and you can switch between them whenever.