As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Black Desert Online (Orwen Server Ch. Mediah O1)

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    So just a PSA, in all caps for emphasis.

DON'T POST YOUR 7-DAY TRIAL CODES DIRECTLY IN THE THREAD

You paid to have access to those, don't let some scummy bot scoop them up.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Wow Tag, thanks so much for that write up. You are my hero for the day between this guide and some of the other tips you've given me =).

Axen - This is totally scratching an itch that mmos have failed to get in the last few years. I mean, there's still mmos out there I like, and GW2 I still play and love, but this has a vibe from older style mmos that are missing in current ones. I say this knowing most people hated the game, but it gives me a Vanguard vibe. And I mean in the "open world that you can get lost in and see amazing sites" sort of way. VG was a pretty rough game but for years I've been saying if someone else could make a VG style game, but polished and much better, I'd be in love. And this is pretty close to what I was picturing.
    Plus player made boats are totally my jam so I have an ultimate goal =p.

• DesmondPfeifferDesmondPfeiffer The secret diary of- Registered User regular
    Been playing since CBT2, haven't really ducked into PA for quite awhile though. Happened to roll on the same server, so might see some of you all around. I also have at least 1 guest pass lying around. Possibly two, but just depends on if another of my friends is interested in trying the game.

So yeah, if someone wants a guest pass PM me. I might not be able to get it to you until later tonight, 9-10 central time, but eventually.

• ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Are the pets you get from the Pearl Store shared among your family? What about horses? (/randomthoughts)

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    I've been in MMO burnout land for about a year so this was completely off my radar. After reading up on it super-fast this morning, this looks a return to the "old days" of MMOs where quests were not giant Exclamation Points, the numbers listed on a character sheet were not always the entire story, and an understanding of underlying game systems was a larger play advantage than grinding out XP 15 hours a day 7 days a week. I'm actually super intrigued!

Problem is, I don't have MMO levels of free time to invest right now, so I'm hesitant to drop $50 on a game that I've heard absolutely zero about until today. I'm told that there is a seven-day "friend key" thing, so I'm wondering if any anti-social buyers have an extra key to spare? I likely wont be able to even touch this thing for at least two to three weeks, but it would be nice to give it a whirl in early April when I have some time. Plus the New and Shiney factor will have worn off for most people by then so it'll likely be more representative of how the end game will play out than launch.

26904.png
    @DesmondPfeiffer Not going to be joining us then?

@ringswraith Pets/mounts of all kinds etc are all Family wide. Not sure about the dyes yet, will need to test with the free ones I get for 50 hours of play time first.

edited March 2016
    @stupid - if you want to jump on one of my guest passes before I give them away, you're welcome to it. I don't know if they expire or really anything about them as far as how long they let you play, but I know I have them!

vamen on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    I'm bummed the shop only has a few outfits. I wanted to buy the Clead one for my Sorceress. I hope they add more soon.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    NM

Cabezone on
    Arthil wrote: »
    @ringswraith Pets/mounts of all kinds etc are all Family wide. Not sure about the dyes yet, will need to test with the free ones I get for 50 hours of play time first.

Ooooo, good to know.

The dyes are single-use though, right? Come to think of it, how do you get the stuff from the package preorders?

Gotta claim them on the website under your account info.

• TagTag Registered User regular
    The dye system, I've heard, is pretty bad. In that each dye is supposedly a 1 time use, it's hard or impossible to get a specific color, and lack of trading means it's a crapshoot to what you actually get (since you can't trade for one you're looking for). This was based off info from other regions though, so I would love to be wrong on this for NA.

Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • TulabelleTulabelle Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    Wow Tag, thanks so much for that write up. You are my hero for the day between this guide and some of the other tips you've given me =).

Axen - This is totally scratching an itch that mmos have failed to get in the last few years. I mean, there's still mmos out there I like, and GW2 I still play and love, but this has a vibe from older style mmos that are missing in current ones. I say this knowing most people hated the game, but it gives me a Vanguard vibe. And I mean in the "open world that you can get lost in and see amazing sites" sort of way. VG was a pretty rough game but for years I've been saying if someone else could make a VG style game, but polished and much better, I'd be in love. And this is pretty close to what I was picturing.

I was just thinking that! I haven't had a chance to play yet, but the Amity game reminds me a lot of diplomacy from Vanguard.

@Cabezone Did someone get you?

edited March 2016
    No but I've done some reading and didn't want to hoover up a code for someone more interested. I'm mostly a solo player and would like to know if there's enough for me to do. If you think a person playing solo can find some fun I'll take a key and give it a go.

Cabezone on
    Tulabelle wrote: »
    vamen wrote: »

I was just thinking that! I haven't had a chance to play yet, but the Amity game reminds me a lot of diplomacy from Vanguard.

That is what it reminded me of as well.

@Cabezone Honestly there's plenty to do solo, more than there is group content really.

Cabezone wrote: »
    No but I've done some reading and didn't want to hoover up a code for someone more interested. I'm mostly a solo player and would like to know if there's enough for me to do. If you think a person playing solo can find some fun I'll take a key and give it a go.

I've played entirely solo so far even though I'm making a support wizard. If you're into crafting*, lore, housing, or exploration I you would probably like it, at least for casual play. Since the combat / leveling is also grind based (rather than instance or something), you can do that at your own pace too. Can't speak for end game though -- I think people do group up to grind mobs for that due to their high HP and. The only real forced group content seems to be world bosses and guild wars, and too a lesser extent, summoned bosses (easier and more loot with groups).

*By crafting I here I mostly mean the life skills section, which includes gathering, fishing, refining, gardening, cooking / alchemy, hunting, trading, and capturing/training mounts. The actual production of, say, putting slats of wood together to make a wagon is done by a worker, but obtaining and refining all the parts that go into it are done by the player through the methods above.

Well I'll give it a go then if you've got a key I can use.

• BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    So this game is looking awesome. The sandbox void SWG left in me is still present and this looks like it could scratch the itch.

I had the opportunity to try it during one of the closed betas but my ISP was giving me woes which was super lame.

If anyone has a spare key that would be awesome

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    I got that MMO itch again this week and started looking around at what people are playing and I guess this is the new hotness eh?

A lot of the ideas sound interesting,and the comparisons to Vanguard which was my favorite MMO of all I've played over the years.

But I'm not sure if the combat system will work for me as all I see are descriptions saying it's like a fighting game, and I suck at / do not enjoy those.

So if anyone has a trial key that'd be awesome, don't want to blow cash on it just yet if I'll just end up hating the combat system.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
    edited March 2016
    It's more just about combos. W+RMB or S+Q/S+F stuff like that.

So those of us who got the Conqueror's pack have three passes to give out. I'd like to hold onto one of mine at least but since they spoke up first I'll offer the other two to @Cabezone and @BradicusMaximus Just send me a PM here so I'll know whether you got one already from someone else.

Hopefully the others who pre-ordered haven't given the passes out already.

Arthil on
  • AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Well I thought both of my passes were spoken for but one person just went ahead and bought the game, so if anyone wants one let me know. - Gone to @Foomy

Aiserou on
    Aiserou wrote: »
    Well I thought both of my passes were spoken for but one person just went ahead and bought the game, so if anyone wants one let me know.

me please :)

Foomy wrote: »
    But I'm not sure if the combat system will work for me as all I see are descriptions saying it's like a fighting game, and I suck at / do not enjoy those.

To add on to this, you have a standard 1-0 hotbar that you can put all abilities on (as well as potions and whatnot). So if there is a key combo that you have trouble with, you can always just bind it to a number key.

For instance, I've had some trouble with the reliability of some of the LMB+RMB moves (accidentally triggering a LMB or RMB attack rather than the combo), so I just put those on the hotkey bar.

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    friend hooked me up with a guest past, trying to install but the thing keeps crashing out with a download error every 15 minutes or so. very aggravating!

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    Okay, so if I wanted to get started with fishing, how do I do that and when can I start?

• AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    Okay, so if I wanted to get started with fishing, how do I do that and when can I start?

You just need a pole (can get them from dock managers) and a water source. Ideally one that you have connected to the associated node for so you can sell the fish for full value at a trade manager.

Tag wrote: »
    Foomy wrote: »

To add on to this, you have a standard 1-0 hotbar that you can put all abilities on (as well as potions and whatnot). So if there is a key combo that you have trouble with, you can always just bind it to a number key.

For instance, I've had some trouble with the reliability of some of the LMB+RMB moves (accidentally triggering a LMB or RMB attack rather than the combo), so I just put those on the hotkey bar.

oh, that's great news. well then guess all my worries are for nothing.

• BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    Fwiw, I'm pretty certain I'll be picking this up. I just wanted to try it to be sure.

But if my purchase comes with some guest passes I'll definitely throw them into the ring

You do spend a bit more resource for using it off of your bar unless it can only be used on the bar. But it isn't much.

• DeansDeans Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I'd like a guest pass, please! The combat seems like just the thing I've been waiting for in an MMO, and with no grindy gambling getting in the way of my fun.

Deans on
    Oh I hadn't noticed that. But then Wizard has no real resource troubles.

Remember everyone to make your character on Orwen, I know it's in the title but just wanted to remind everyone. You'll need to be in the same channel as myself or an Officer for us to invite you.

@Arthil I know channels are pretty fluid, but maybe we should add an "official" channel to the title or first post to help streamline invites? I think there is an obnoxious 15 minute wait time or something to swap channels.

There is a 15 minute wait, so far a lot of us have seemed to be hanging out in Serendia 02. So @MyDcmbr could add that. Also maybe put the guild info at the top of the OP. Another thing! We need to get you invited :P

I'll be on tonight and join Ser02. Should be fun!

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    so how do I join your running crew?

fuck gendered marketing
    @Elldren Well so long as you're on the same server, hop onto the Serendia 02 channel and meet up. I've got a character parked in Olvia, the starting town.

Question: are guild invites family wide or character specific? I have a bunch of alts parked in Olvia atm, but my main is in Hidel, so trying to see if I can be lazy ;P