As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[CoH/CoV] Chat: Big patch! Spring Fling event! ITT we plan Accualt's wedding.

• marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Wow. What is with the friendliness in this game? Everyone's all "Hi! How's it going? Welcome to the team! :D" and I, not used to this treatment, am all It's a trap! Diablo II is the only other online-type game I've played, wherein you're lucky to get a "hi".

marty_0001 on
  • guruslothgurusloth Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Pretty good success getting PA TFs going this past weekend.

Sister Psyche was put off for a Citadel run due to the levels of people that wanted in, and we actually got a Positron run done (was fun, for being the Positron TF). Scoot got another respec trial going as well, and cases of insomnia were cured.

In anticipation of next weekend, I still want to work more on task force commander. My suggestions are Synapse and Numina (both only need 4 to get going, one's low, one's high). It's probably too far ahead to plan times, but anyone interested?

Alternately, suggest some TF you're dying to do.
    I am missing a lot of TFs and Trials on my main, including Manticore, Katie Hannon, Numina, and Terra Volta, Abandoned Sewers...Synapse I have, though, so I'd probably pass on that one. Mostly, though, I am up for any TFs I qualify for (lvl 38).

gurusloth on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    marty_0001 wrote: »
    Wow. What is with the friendliness in this game? Everyone's all "Hi! How's it going? Welcome to the team! :D" and I, not used to this treatment, am all It's a trap! Diablo II is the only other online-type game I've played, wherein you're lucky to get a "hi".
    Then they tell you to hop to Warburg and rape you and steal your IOs. NOT FALLING FOR THAT AGAIN. :!!:

Glal on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Nah... last I heard the Ducks moved to the Test server for the most part since that's where all the "Hardcore" PvPers go.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

It really is the single friendliest community I've ever seen in an MMO.
    I can't really explain why, maybe the kind of people who are attracted to playing super heroes are just nicer than your average fantasy fan. Would make some sense, I know a great deal of my values stem directly from reading Captain America and the X-Men growing up.

Accualt on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    A_ccualt wrote: »

It really is the single friendliest community I've ever seen in an MMO.
    I can't really explain why, maybe the kind of people who are attracted to playing super heroes are just nicer than your average fantasy fan. Would make some sense, I know a great deal of my values stem directly from reading Captain America and the X-Men growing up.

Wolverine was a gruff dick. There, I said it, wannafightaboutit?

It is a pretty friendly community. Generally, the worst things I see in Pugs are people just up and leaving without saying anything because you can't find a team within 5 minutes. In WoW I might hear snarky comments about that, in addition to people leaving randomly.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • ProfessorPolycarpProfessorPolycarp Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The community has gotten better as a mature game I think. Even the powerleveller tells for team fillers seem to be in coherent English rather than netspeak. PUG teams still tend to self-destruct if things don't go super smoothly, but that's most games.

I just wish we hadn't picked up all the spammers.

ProfessorPolycarp on
    edited November 2007
    The absolute worst thing about pugs? No one ever wants to create the group, ever. I'm resistant to it, but then I'm still newish, there's still a lot I don't know about the game(like can you unassign a mish? I had people going to a mish that was auto-assigned instead of the sewers where the rest of us were). Also, I used to create nearly every pug I had in WoW and I got sick and tired of being the only one to look for other members.
    But these pug homps don't even want to try.

Septus on
    edited November 2007
    gurusloth wrote: »
    I am missing a lot of TFs and Trials on my main, including Manticore, Katie Hannon, Numina, and Terra Volta, Abandoned Sewers...Synapse I have, though, so I'd probably pass on that one. Mostly, though, I am up for any TFs I qualify for (lvl 38).

I'm guessing we'll have plenty of people who will do Katie Hannon and Manticore when the first squadrons start cresting 30. I think Scoot still has one more character he wants to run the respec trial on, I'd also be up for Eden or even the Hollows trial beyond what you mentioned.

Blau should be 40+ by this weekend, so if there's enough demand for the second Shard TF I'll join.

ProfessorPolycarp on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Has there been any word on the next issue's release date, yet?
    I'm still planning on resubbing with the "free weekend, come back please" thing.

Me Too! on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    I haven't logged in in a while, and I need to consolidate, so I am going to have to not re-up come the 15th. Too many things are demanding my attention.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    edited November 2007
    They don't always do the free weekend thing, fyi.

Accualt on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    yeah, the last time they did one was for i9 because that was a pretty big deal.

although i11 is pretty big

ouroboros is huge, its a feature that has been demanded since beta

Pony on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Don't forget custom weapons and added hairstyles. People'll come back just to test those out.

Glal on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Another new patch on test, nothing too interesting though. I'm guessing this is probably the last one before it goes live.

Also, this little gem from Positron
    Master of LRSF, Master of STF

These badges are attained by completing the appropriate Task Force with the following parameters set:

* No Temporary Powers
    * 0 Defeats Allowed

I think they just added this to have something else to laugh at Badge Hunter's OCD with now that anyone can get Isolator without waiting for a single Infected to spawn in RV every two hours. :lol:

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
    edited November 2007
    With Batman levels of preparation, Master of STF shouldn't be too difficult to.... wait, no temp powers...

Nevermind.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Nocren wrote: »
    With Batman levels of preparation, Master of STF shouldn't be too difficult to.... wait, no temp powers...

Nevermind.

Yeeeah, I guess I can look forward to never getting this on DM.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Shazbot!Shazbot! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Septus wrote: »
    The absolute worst thing about pugs? No one ever wants to create the group, ever. I'm resistant to it, but then I'm still newish, there's still a lot I don't know about the game(like can you unassign a mish? I had people going to a mish that was auto-assigned instead of the sewers where the rest of us were). Also, I used to create nearly every pug I had in WoW and I got sick and tired of being the only one to look for other members.

See, at first I was really annoyed that no one wanted to run a PuG, but then, I don't want to run a PuG either, so it's hard to blame everyone else. I've made a habit of adding people who have run god PuGs on my friends list, so they're the second people I ask after the PA channel. Also, I've learned to be nice to everyone on my PuG, if only because I am so glad that they didn't roll a Stalker. Sometimes, I get the urge to fly really really high and then teleport friend a stalker. Of course, I don't have teleport friend, but if I got it, it would just to deal with the frustation of being on a small PuG that's half Stalkers.

Shazbot! on
    edited November 2007
    Uh, so Cryptic has sold its interest in COH/V to NCSOFT. O_o
    Dev Corner: NCsoft acquires City of Heroes Franchise

The future of City of Heroes® is Now!

This has been an exciting week for NCsoft®! On the heels of the major new release of Richard Garriott’s Tabula Rasa®, we are happy to announce the full acquisition of the City of Heroes intellectual property (IP) and formation of a new studio in northern California dedicated to the ongoing development of the City of Heroes Franchise! This is the first step in a major reinvestment back into City of Heroes and City of Villains®. Over the coming years, we plan to aggressively develop and expand the franchise. I’m sure this raises questions about what this means for our awesome community of players and what the future means for their favorite heroes and villains. Rest assured, the future is indeed bright!

While we’ve acquired the full rights to the City of Heroes IP, we’ve also brought on board the solid core team of developers from Cryptic Studios: Matt “Positron” Miller (lead designer), Aaron Brady (lead engineer), and Ken Morse (lead artist). The management of City of Heroes will transition fully to NCsoft. I will still be the executive producer, my production team along with Ross Borden the director of business and marketing will also remain. We’ve been with the game since the early days and are committed to its long term success. Our community team, which has always been part of NCsoft, will also continue to be an integral part of the new studio. In the coming months we’ll be looking to add literally dozens more employees. We’ll have a full-fledged development studio to achieve our goals and we’ll be undergoing substantial, but careful, growth to get there.

I’m sure that you’re also asking, “What will happen to City of Heroes?” In the short term, you’ll see our major content expansions, the Issues, continue. Issue #11 is due out shortly and plans for Issue #12 and beyond are already underway. The recent twelve months have been great for the game and if you aren’t familiar with all the changes that have been introduced, follow the links below to read about how the game has evolved:
    Issue 8: To Protect and Serve
    Issue 9: Breakthrough
    Issue 10: Invasion
    Issue 11: A Stitch In Time

We don’t expect the transition to the new studio to make a noticeable dent in our free Issue scheduling. As a player you shouldn’t see any ill-effects of this transition from a development or customer support perspective. In fact, you should see a significant positive impact on your game experience within the few months and beyond. Cryptic Studios is giving us all of the support we’ve asked for and has been tremendously helpful in this transitional process. All parties involved want what’s best for the franchise.

At this time, we’re not quite ready to disclose longer term plans. We’ll have the usual slate of announcements when we’re ready to reveal our plans. But, what I can say is that we’re building this new studio not just to maintain the status quo. We’re looking beyond the normal slate of free Issues for City of Heroes. We want to use City of Heroes as a focal point and really build on this franchise. We absolutely value the City of Heroes IP with its unique focus on the superhero genre, we’re really thrilled at the opportunities that full ownership brings to the table, and we can’t wait for the “City of” community to see all that we have in store for them. Now is the right time to get started on the next chapter!

Brian Clayton, City of Heroes executive producer and NCsoft NorCal Studio general manager

Brian Clayton is a veteran game developer with over fifteen years of management experience specializing in online game development. He has produced over ten titles (thirty SKUs) for the PC, console and handheld formats. Brian has built and managed several teams for companies such as Accolade, 3DO, and NCsoft in the following disciplines: product development, network operations, QA, community relations, and technical support.

In his current role as executive producer and general manager of NCsoft NorCal, Brian oversees the development and business initiatives for the awarding winning City of Heroes and City of Villains MMORPGs.

Corvus on
  • Chad SexingtonChad Sexington Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Septus wrote: »

I just got a tell in-game today from somebody asking if I wanted to LEAD a PUG. WTF? Nevermind the fact that I'm completely new to the game, why would you approach somebody else and ask them to lead you? Does the fact that I'm a MM and not a stalker imply that I somehow have a greater depth of knowledge? I don't know... People are weird.

Chad Sexington on
    edited November 2007
    Aww, the wording from that press release sounds like only those three devs are being brought over? No Back Alley Brawler, or is that Ken Morse and they just didn't say his handle?

Septus on
    edited November 2007
    Not really sure about that. I get the impression from the announcements on the forums that all the current CoH Devs are coming over.

Also:
    Special Thanks to Our Players

Now back to you, the players. You are the lifeblood of our game. In celebration of our new studio and our exciting plans, and in order to thank you for the fantastic community that you have built, we are pleased to announce the following.

Full Access to City of Heroes and City of Villains®

All players with City of Heroes retail* accounts will now have access to City of Villains, and all City of Villains retail* accounts will now have access to City of Heroes. Players that didn't previously have access to "the other side" will find that they do now. Just log in to check it out!

Debt Wipe
    After the launch of Issue 11: A Stitch in Time this Fall, we are removing Debt from all characters and giving you a fresh start. Actual date will be announced shortly. Have fun in the mean time.

20,000 Prestige
    Also after the launch of Issue 11, all Supergroups will receive an additional 20,000 Prestige per Supergroup member, meaning SGs could acquire up to 3 million Prestige based upon their Supergroup membership roster! Actual date will be announced shortly.

In the near future we will begin to share more information about our development plans. With this major reinvestment and effort ahead of us, we will take City of Heroes to new heights!

Oh hey, with I11, the supergroup size is doubling to 150. We better fill up our groups!

Corvus on
    edited November 2007
    From the boards:
    ExLibris wrote:
    The entire current team of COH/COV has signed on with NCsoft and we will be continuing our schedule of 3 free issues per year, as well as some other great goodies as we grow the team and IP.

Also, on the extras from the official site: Scoot should be happy about the bonus prestige.

Edit: in another post, ExLibris makes it sounds like CoX will be getting more dev resources from this. I'd assume they'd probably be assigned to "revenue generating expansions". Make of that what you will.

ProfessorPolycarp on
    edited November 2007
    But when is that "Account, Not character" thing going into effect? Or is it?

(Where the account is the one in the SG, not the player, so that we can have 4 or 5 alts in the SG and not take up space)

ALSO: I'm guessing the IP Sale is so that there's no conflict of intrest in having the same developer working on TWO superhero mmos at the same time for two different publishers

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited November 2007
    Nocren wrote: »
    But when is that "Account, Not character" thing going into effect? Or is it?

(Where the account is the one in the SG, not the player, so that we can have 4 or 5 alts in the SG and not take up space)

I dont think they ever figured out how to do that, so doubling the SG roster is what we get instead.

Corvus on
  • WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Man, some of the people in my group are probably going to throw a fit over the debt wipe.

*sigh* Why do I have to have an entire group of people with the belief that "debt is so good I mean I hate levelling and would rather spend all of my time farming masochistic badges"

Wallhitter on
  • Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Saturday November 10th

Sara Moore TF

Where: The Shadow Shard with occasional missions back in Paragon City somewhere

When: Starting at 7est, 6cst, 5mst, 4pst and going until it is finished..it requires 8 to start but we may be fewer..if so we will borrow PAers or PuGers to start..hell the PuGers can come if they want I don't care. If you could park yourself in Cascade Archipelago near some Nemesis that would be great as the first mission is a Nemesis hunt there. We may start a few minutes later then those times due to trying to get 8 or what have you..be prepared for that.

What: 15 missions. 7 defeat all. 6 objective(could be hidden defeat all). 2 hunts. AV at the end. Mostly Nemesis/Rularuu with a smattering of CoT. This may be a bit off obviously. I have no idea how long this is but keep in mind we did a shard TF Ghost had said was 8 hours long in 3 1/2. So Ghost..let us know how long Sara Moore took you.

It is for levels 40-50 though we will need to work out the sk/mentor thing as there will be 50s.

Why: Because I am total badge whore..and I only have one left to do.

Who: Me...and you...

How: By the collective power of our massive dongs. If you don't have one..then you can count your bewbs.

I am giving a fair bit of advanced notice so you can plan a bit for it. It's 1 hour after scheme night so you can have a bit of a break before we start if you participate in that. Signups are below..do the whole quote thing..just quote the part below this not the entire post.

Sara Moore Signups

Character Name/Level/Archetype/What can you bring to this organization?

Gear Girl/50/Blaster/Ambiguous Gender

Gear Girl on
    edited November 2007
    Sweet, we might get TWO animators out of this!

Seriously, though, it sounds good. As long as the core "decision makers" are still around, which it sounds like they are, then more team members is only a good thing because it will give us even bigger issues than normal. Or the same size issues with some paid expansions every year or so. I am all for that...but then I was raised on EQ with its new paid expansion every 9 months.

Accualt on
    edited November 2007
    Tentatively signing up.
    Gear Girl wrote: »
    Sara Moore Signups

Geocyde/40/Tanker/punchypunch, flameyflame
    Sonna/41/Controller/Confuse and Healzors

Accualt on
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Also tentative.
    Sara Moore Signups

Glaciater/50/Blaster/Level 50 mentor for above two slackers

CyberJackal on
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I get off work at 6 on saturday, CST.
    Sara Moore Signups

Class Action/47/Scrapper/MA-Regen, the quality choice

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
    edited November 2007
    Mysst wrote: »
    I get off work at 6 on saturday, CST.
    Sara Moore Signups

Class Action/47/Scrapper/MA-Regen, the quality choice

How fast can you be home?

Gear Girl on
  • drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

This was the second thing out of my mouth, after, "THANK FUCKING CHRIST."

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So did Statesman leave before this, or is he now officially gone?

Also, yes I love the game as a whole, but I still refuse to believe having Positron on the dev team is a good thing. Anyone willing to let the worst part of the game be the first experience of Task Forcin' AS WELL AS sign your name to it is not a good person.

There, I said it.

Again.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited November 2007
    drhazard wrote: »

This was the second thing out of my mouth, after, "THANK FUCKING CHRIST."

Yeah, 1 animator working on the new pay content and the existing one splitting time between that and working on free episode releases/existing content fixes :)

ProfessorPolycarp on
    edited November 2007
    Ringo wrote: »

Also, yes I love the game as a whole, but I still refuse to believe having Positron on the dev team is a good thing. Anyone willing to let the worst part of the game be the first experience of Task Forcin' AS WELL AS sign your name to it is not a good person.

There, I said it.

Again.

Statesmen didn't leave, but he hasnt been the lead designer for COH for over a year now. He moved up to "Creative Director" or whatever for Cryptic. Positron has been the Lead Designer since then. And done a better job overall IMO.

Basically, States didnt leave CoH. He and the senior people at Cryptic seem to have decided that they liked Marvel's intellectual property better than their own.

Corvus on
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    ooh lordy, they're removing all debt from players :O

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
    edited November 2007

I just did the Posi TF again, so I'll comment on the TF. It's not balanced for length, is even worse if you've got people with no travel powers, and features enemies with effects that most players that level are weak to--Vahz, ruin mages. The "big" payoff at the end is tech map tiles (and an EB, but that was just another boss back in the day. It's a chumpy EB too).

All that said, it's not really the "worst" part of the game IMO. I mean, they're pretty much standard missions that you get outside of the TF. I had fun running the missions and all. The biggest issue is the lack of payoff for time spent; it's presented as something special and it's not. The game's moved on and Positron TF hasn't.

As easy as it is now to blow past the Positron levels, dumping work into improving it probably wouldn't be the best use of their time anyway (some of the other Freedom Phalanx TFs however...)

ProfessorPolycarp on
    edited November 2007

I just did the Posi TF again, so I'll comment on the TF. It's not balanced for length, is even worse if you've got people with no travel powers, and features enemies with effects that most players that level are weak to--Vahz, ruin mages. The "big" payoff at the end is tech map tiles (and an EB, but that was just another boss back in the day. It's a chumpy EB too).

All that said, it's not really the "worst" part of the game IMO. I mean, they're pretty much standard missions that you get outside of the TF. I had fun running the missions and all. The biggest issue is the lack of payoff for time spent; it's presented as something special and it's not. The game's moved on and Positron TF hasn't.

As easy as it is now to blow past the Positron levels, dumping work into improving it probably wouldn't be the best use of their time anyway (some of the other Freedom Phalanx TFs however...)

Positron wishes he could be Doc Q.

Gear Girl on
  • HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well, they could fix a major issue with the Posi TF (and Synapse) just by cutting some repetitive missions and adjusting the contact/fluff text accordingly. That would be an "easy win" and I don't know why they haven't already done it.

Anyway, NCSoft acquisition: Wow. I'd love to speculate on why this happened, but there are so many good possible reasons it'd be hard to pick one. I do hope they really mean that most of the staff has transferred, because they generally seem to be quite competent. There just aren't enough of them, and there's always been some crufty thinking among the leadership. Whether that will come along with Miller or not, I guess we'll find out.

I'm oddly reassured that NCsoft needs a hit so much... I think they know that CoH is bankable, and will do what they can to make it even more bankable. And that means listening to the players, adding to, and fixing the game. If they do paid expansions, then so be it, as long as it's not excessive.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
This discussion has been closed.