As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Black Desert Online (Orwen Server Ch. Mediah O1)

• AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    I can't whisper my buddy either, maybe it's a guest pass thing.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I have no control... Looks fun tho!

• hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    My family name is Hatedinamerica if you want to try me.

Derge the red headed sorceress is fishing in Heidel [orwen, ser2] while I look for some dinner if anyone with invite privileges happens to be nearby. Standing on a barrel at the dock.

edited March 2016
    My family name is Hatedinamerica if you want to try me.

Derge the red headed sorceress is fishing in Heidel [orwen, ser2] while I look for some dinner if anyone with invite privileges happens to be nearby. Standing on a barrel at the dock.

Give me a minute and I'll be there. You're on the docks, I assume? Edit: Found you and gave you a contract.

Aiserou on
    Awesome, thanks!

• Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    I'm so weak. Boughted. Downloading now.

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Please, please be careful when you invite people and give them a single day contract to start :P.

Also yeah seems like you can't whisper with the guest passes... if Ais gave you that invite @hatedinamerica then I'm not seeing it.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • JagmasJagmas Registered User regular
    I'm still in western guard camp. I guess I will get a quest to main area for invite soon.

Hmm invite didn't seem to take. It says I'm not in a guild when I press G anyway. Pretty sure I hit accept but there is a non-zero chance I hit the wrong button. :P

edited March 2016
    @hatedinamerica I invited you again.
    @Jagmas I assume you are closing in on Velia? I can meet you there. Also what is your family name?

Aiserou on
  • DesmondPfeifferDesmondPfeiffer The secret diary of- Registered User regular
    I think I'll go ahead and get an invite as well. It'll take me a bit to get to velia though, because I decided it would be a great idea to swim out to some island in the sea.

Family name is Shrike.

I'll be hanging out by Alustin, the alchemist dude in Velia.

• JagmasJagmas Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Aiserou wrote: »
    @hatedinamerica I invited you again.
    @Jagmas I assume you are closing in on Velia? I can meet you there. Also what is your family name?

Family name is Garr, but honestly I am not sure how far away I am (never played before). Can yell when I am definitely in a city or wait until tomorrow if you aren't around. I am currently headed to some stone chamber.

Jagmas on
  • bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    Is anyone else's hair color screwed up after they make them? I'm trying this game out and I have impulse control problems. Black/darkbrown hair is blonde, even though char select shows the right color.

akirasig.jpg
    Changing channels should fix your appearance.

• DesmondPfeifferDesmondPfeiffer The secret diary of- Registered User regular
    The lighting in the game is a bit bizarre too, so at certain times of day my character's lighter brown hair will almost glow white. It took some getting used to.

Also, I can't seem to get a whisper through to anyone. Not on a guest pass or anything, so not sure what that's about. Also on Orwen, Ser 02.

Upped us to 25 member cap. If I need to do so again, we'll get taxed weekly so will need to consider that.

So I may not set us up with higher contracts, or bother keeping everyone with a contract unless they answer the call to do a guild mission. We needs more levels, both in terms of character level and life skill levels to really bang those out. I have a feeling coordinating it through voice would be a bit easier too.

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Is anyone else's hair color screwed up after they make them? I'm trying this game out and I have impulse control problems. Black/darkbrown hair is blonde, even though char select shows the right color.

Yes, I made a red head and then in game its showing as a blonde.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    Bought and downloading now, kind of an impulse buy... All the supposed weaknesses of this game, as described, are things I like.

I was wondering, is there something like a "re-appearance" thing in this game? Like, if I make a mistake in how my character looks at character creation, is there any way to fix it, or am I stuck with it?

@Yougottawanna Gotta pay some $$ but yes.

• downerdowner Registered User regular
    In as Quoros, family name is Daviin, hanging around Velia

• krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    How does this compare to TERA?

@downer Hop on into the Serendia 02 channel and I can get you, meet on the docks.

I'm here, I think

@downer Haven't spotted you yet.

Standing on some crates

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    So I ended up rolling the EU servers so I could play with some RL friends, so if anyone rolls onto the EU servers (specifically Croxus) feel free to hit me (Evidar) up.

Also this game is pretty great, I was sold after about 15 seconds when rather than have my weapons float on my back like in every other game my wizard made his staff vanish and then resummoned it when I got into combat.

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Well, this thread went ballistic lol. I will make the guild updates when I get home from work @Arthil . If you could tell me the guild name I will put that in there too lol.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    I spent way too much time last night futzing with the character creator. Is there a way to turn off the face highlights? It's really hard to see what you're doing.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    A little story from last night the highlights one of the reasons I love this game.

I was out in the wilderness looking to tame wild horses. It got dark and my lantern was out of oil. So I'm stumbling around in the dark and move through this big bush as I'd done a million times before. Turns out this bush covered a hole in the ground and I fell in like a moron.

It was a pretty good drop, but I was able to jump from ledge to ledge and reached the bottom of the pit. Inside was a maze of tunnels filled with spiders.

It took me about 20 minutes to navigate the tunnels. One part because I kept hitting dead ends and another part because of the fucking spiders.

At one of the dead ends I found a treasure chest that didn't require a key and got around 11k in silver for the trouble.

As I was constantly getting jumped by fucking spiders my supplies started to run low. Mercifully I saw light shining in from one of the tunnels and headed towards it. Turned out to be the exit and not a moment too soon as I used the last of my health tonics on a particularly tough fight (7 spiders at once in a tight corridor, not fun).

Once I got outside I found that the exit was in the side of a cliff and I had to drop down 30 or so feet. The exit itself was also covered by bushes and there'd be no way for me to ever know it was even there from the outside.

Even after the whole ordeal I couldn't tell ya where I fell in at or where I came out at.

The whole experience was fucking amazing!

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    If you are having problems with hair I believe the problem is that the hair shine setting too high. That said some colors are still radioactive at night.

The 30 day unlimited character customization is so goood.

Adellios on
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    That does sound pretty awesome.

I got to play this morning for a little bit, after leaving the game downloading when I went to bed last night. Most of that time was spent in the character creator, where I made a sorceress. Got into the game and I have to admit, I was completely lost for the vast majority of my play-time. As in, I get into fights and shit looks awesome and I win, but I have no idea what I'm doing and am not always sure how I did it.

I'm also not sure if I want to stick with the Sorceress, though alt-itis is common for me so this really has nothing to do with BDO itself. I really want to get past all the tutorial crap so I can get into the world and just get myself lost, but of course I'm always afraid I'll miss something. If there's still room, I'd also like to get into the guild, since maybe having some people to talk to will keep me going as I blunder around.

• TulabelleTulabelle Registered User regular
    I played a bit last night. Got a Tamer to 10 and a Witch and Sorc to 6 each. It's pretty fun, but it is a lot to take in. I'm still not sure which character I'm going to "main" if any of them. Leaning towards either Tamer or Witch right now, but I'd also like to take a Valk for spin.

I haven't looked up any crafting stuff, but I think I'd like to try some cooking and fishing so I may check out what is required for that and do that tonight. If I get to Velia I'll reach out to someone about getting in the guild, but I don't even know where that is yet. Still running around Olvia(sp?)

Luckily for you BDO encourages and rewards alt-itis.

Oh one thing to point out about my story is that there is no fast travel or porting in BDO. The only way for me to get out of that spider nest was to find my way out or die.

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    That does sound pretty awesome.

I got to play this morning for a little bit, after leaving the game downloading when I went to bed last night. Most of that time was spent in the character creator, where I made a sorceress. Got into the game and I have to admit, I was completely lost for the vast majority of my play-time. As in, I get into fights and shit looks awesome and I win, but I have no idea what I'm doing and am not always sure how I did it.

I'm also not sure if I want to stick with the Sorceress, though alt-itis is common for me so this really has nothing to do with BDO itself. I really want to get past all the tutorial crap so I can get into the world and just get myself lost, but of course I'm always afraid I'll miss something. If there's still room, I'd also like to get into the guild, since maybe having some people to talk to will keep me going as I blunder around.

That's how the game is...it's SUPER overwhelming. It took me quite a few hours to feel remotely comfortable, and after being pretty much addicted to this since the headstart, I learn a TON of new stuff about the game every day. Hell, every hour!
    And don't let the fear of missing stuff weigh on you too much. You WILL miss stuff. There's just SO much in the world. But the stuff you miss you might run across some time later.
    I can't even figure out what causes quests to popup sometimes. I'll have exhausted, I think, an area and then come back and a guy I've not talked to or improved my relationship with at all suddenly has a ton of new quests for me. My only guess is I learned some knowledge in the world that opened it up.

In an unrelated note, despite all my constant fishing, I STILL haven't caught a single mudskipper for the quests I have =p.

vamen on
  • TagTag Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Fun times last night. Looks like we'll need people to really level their life skills and characters so we can do those guild missions more quickly.

Anyone have some experience with horses and carts? I would like to start leveling my trade up but I haven't really done much in the mount area (been trying to level up my Breathing skill). 'Course I guess doing trade runs on foot levels up strength so there is that.

Edit:
    vamen wrote: »
    In an unrelated note, despite all my constant fishing, I STILL haven't caught a single mudskipper for the quests I have =p.

I had trouble with this as well. Make sure you are still actually in the Veilia node, even if the supply is exhausted. I spent a lot of time fishing in the neighboring Costal Cave node and never caught one, so I am thinking they might not be catchable there. It's very easy to walk a little too far down the beach and change nodes, so keep an eye on your minimap.

Tag on
    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Tag wrote: »
    Fun times last night. Looks like we'll need people to really level their life skills and characters so we can do those guild missions more quickly.

Anyone have some experience with horses and carts? I would like to start leveling my trade up but I haven't really done much in the mount area (been trying to level up my Breathing skill). 'Course I guess doing trade runs on foot levels up strength so there is that.

Edit:

I had trouble with this as well. Make sure you are still actually in the Veilia node, even if the supply is exhausted. I spent a lot of time fishing in the neighboring Costal Cave node and never caught one, so I am thinking they might not be catchable there.

I pretty much always fish at that dock in Velia, except last night I took the boat from there across the water and fished there in the sweet, sweet 'abundant' waters.

As far as guild quests, I have leveled my life skills a decent bit. Gathering is by far the highest though (upper apprentice level). I can help with those, though I don't know how they work.

edited March 2016
    Some quests pop up because you gained knowledge, some quests are only available during certain times of the day, some quests will appear because of your level and they'll appear everywhere. I guarantee if I go back to the starting town there'll be a fuck ton of quests for me.

Best part is all those quests you unlocked (for whatever reason) will be available to your Alt right out the gate. During CBT2 I made an alt after reaching 20 and was tickled fucking pink to see a crap load of quests in Olvia that weren't there during my first time through!

Second best part is that despite being in the starting town all those quests will still be super useful for me to do as they give Contribution XP!

Axen on
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    On the topic of working stuff out this might sound dumb and obvious but none of the guides I checked mentioned it.

When you spend a point on a node you need to talk to the NPC again and spend another point unlocking the actual resource you want to work.

I spent a good two hours last night trying to work out why I chouldnt get my worker to collect wood from a node connected to a town.

Norgoth on
  • TagTag Registered User regular
    Tag wrote: »

Edit:

I had trouble with this as well. Make sure you are still actually in the Veilia node, even if the supply is exhausted. I spent a lot of time fishing in the neighboring Costal Cave node and never caught one, so I am thinking they might not be catchable there.

I pretty much always fish at that dock in Velia, except last night I took the boat from there across the water and fished there in the sweet, sweet 'abundant' waters.

As far as guild quests, I have leveled my life skills a decent bit. Gathering is by far the highest though (upper apprentice level). I can help with those, though I don't know how they work.

Ah ok, just bad luck then I guess. Mudskippers and Mackerel were such a pain.

The gathering quest was pretty easy last night -- we just ran out and got 180 ceder timber. Or rather, it would be easy if we weren't all a bit underleveled for the zone :P It is nice that you get to keep the materials that you gather though, pretty much set for logs and ceder timber for the foreseeable future.

Sounds like the combat missions will be a real pain if it's really "kill 1000 mobs". Though I wonder if we can use them to power level via a grind group.... could be a good way to knock out quests and level at the same time.

Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf