As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mass Effect - 8 days until you already know what happens from the spoilers you read

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well, considering that Mass Effect actually HAS an end to it... no. You might get 80-120 hours out of it, but eventually, you'll have done it all, you'll shelf it until there's DLC, and get back to raiding Kara. >.>

Houn on
  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Houn wrote: »
    Well, considering that Mass Effect actually HAS an end to it... no. You might get 80-120 hours out of it, but eventually, you'll have done it all, you'll shelf it until there's DLC, and get back to raiding Kara. >.>
    Except testers said that they've played the game multiple timse and still aren't bored with it.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2007
    Then increase the total hours. Eventually, you'll do everything. Some people might do it twice. In the end, you can only play a single player, stand-alone game for so long before you've hit your personal limit and get bored with it.

That's the way of Single Player, Story-Driven games. It's not a bad thing by any means, just a reality of the experience. It's only Shiny and New once.

Houn on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Goomba wrote: »
    Except testers said that they've played the game multiple timse and still aren't bored with it.

There are people who will say that about any game.

Magic Pink on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

WoW has like 20 hours of gameplay in it, repeated over and over for years.

Replaying a 40 hour Mass effect run time after time is arguably less tedious than doing the same shit in WoW.

The_Scarab on
  • JimJimBinksJimJimBinks Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Goomba wrote: »

As a former tester, you can occasionally run into a game that brainwashes you into thinking it's really fun and you'll never get tired of it. It's a way of coping with all the Overtime.

That happened to me with X-Men: Next Dimension (The Fighting game.)
    On the other hand, I felt the same way when testing Red Alert 2 and C&C Generals and I never did get tired of those.

JimJimBinks on
    steam_sig.png
  • Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Then increase the total hours. Eventually, you'll do everything. Some people might do it twice. In the end, you can only play a single player, stand-alone game for so long before you've hit your personal limit and get bored with it.
    But that's true of any game! Unless the game is a complete sandbox, in which case the term "game" is a pretty dubious descriptor in the first place.

But that's neither here nor there.

Grid System on
    edited November 2007
    But that's true of any game! Unless the game is a complete sandbox, in which case the term "game" is a pretty dubious descriptor in the first place.

That's my point. The original question was "Will Mass Effect end my WoW addiction?" No single player game, no mater how OMFG AWESOME it is (which, I'm getting the impression is an understatement when applied to Mass Effect), can end a WoW addiction. Eventually, the game will be over, and the addiction will start gnawing at you again.

There are ways to quit WoW, but ME is not it, not as a stand-alone solution. As one factor in a multi-faceted rehabilitation process, though, I can see it helping.

Houn on
  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, but guys.

It's Mass Effect.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CruixCruix Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

That's my point. The original question was "Will Mass Effect end my WoW addiction?" No single player game, no mater how OMFG AWESOME it is (which, I'm getting the impression is an understatement when applied to Mass Effect), can end a WoW addiction. Eventually, the game will be over, and the addiction will start gnawing at you again.

There are ways to quit WoW, but ME is not it, not as a stand-alone solution. As one factor in a multi-faceted rehabilitation process, though, I can see it helping.

The way you talk about WoW kind of scares me. Smokey The Bear says only YOU can end MMORPG addiction! Step away from the keyboard.

I'm kind of sad about the day/night thing, but it does make sense to not bother with it, so oh well. On another subject -- from everything I've read, pistols are the weakest weapon in the game, which is kind of sad. I was hoping I could run through using nothing but pistols, but there's no point if they're out-classed by all the other weapons.

Cruix on
    housesig2.gif
  • Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Actually, a guy on the ME forums who played it for an hour at some show said that pistols are awesome, better to use than shotguns. It certainly doesn't seem like they're the weakest weapon. But like I said, he only played it for an hour, so he's only played at the beginning.

I honestly think that any weapon type will be awesome if you have the skill points put into it.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I hope I get some sort of weapons skills as a sentinel.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited November 2007
    OP says "no advanced weapon training" for sentinels.

Grid System on
  • Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007

You have no weapons training so it's not exactly going to be very effective.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007

You have no weapons training so it's not exactly going to be very effective.

ah well. at least I have cool powers.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited November 2007
    The Tech talents actually got a bit of a shuffling during our final round of work on the talent system. Each one grants you one active combat power, and gives you a passive bonus. We've currently got the following:

Decryption - Lets you unlock containers and doors, and gain access to locked computer terminals. Grants the Sabotage proximity mine, which overheats the weapons of any enemy caught in the blast. Also boosts the damage of all three mine powers.

Electronics - Lets you repair, bypass, or modify objects. Grants the Overload proximity mine, which does extreme shield damage to any enemy caught in the blast. Also increases the shielding provided by your armor.

AI Hacking - Grants the AI Hacking ability, which drives a single robotic target berserk (they'll attack each other, but can also turn on you if you get too close). Reduces the cooldown time on all three mine powers, so you can use them more often.

Damping - Grants the Damping proximity mine, which temporarily disables the Tech and Biotic powers of any enemy caught in the blast. Also increases the explosion radius of the three mine powers.

First Aid - Increases the amount of health restored when you heal your squad. If multiple squad members have First Aid then they all contribute to the amount restored.

Medicine - Reduces the cooldown time on First Aid, so you can heal your squad more often. Once again, all squad members with Medicine contribute towards this reduction. Also grants the Neural Shock ability which knocks out and does toxic damage to a single organic target.

Infiltrator:
    Electronics, Decryption
    Unlocks First Aid, Damping

Sentinel:
    Decryption, First Aid
    Unlocks Electronics, Medicine

Engineer:
    Electronics, Decryption, First Aid
    Unlocks Damping, AI Hacking, Medicine

In some of the screenshots you may have noticed that each class has a class-specific talent. The Sentinel talent gives them some basic training with pistols.

Don't look at that if you don't want some nifty information about some of the class skills.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • JastJast Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    My first playthrough will be as a male soldier with the two human party members as my backup. It's going to be an all out guns blazing affair. Then after that I'll mess with the other classes. But in my rpgs I play the frontal assault guy who can handle anything that comes his way. In Kotor I used the scout/guardian combo, which in my opinion is the best combo in the game.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
    edited November 2007
    Infiltrator still sounds like a fine choice.

Alucard6986 on
    edited November 2007
    Okay, now I'm definitely an Engineer.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
    edited November 2007
    I'm just glad as a sentinel I can at least somewhat rely on pistols.

sometimes you just gotta shoot a dude in the head.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    always you just gotta shoot a dude in the head.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
    edited November 2007
    mastman wrote: »
    always you just gotta shoot a dude in the head.

Houn on
    edited November 2007
    no sometimes you can explode them.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited November 2007
    no sometimes you can explode them.

...followed immediately afterward by shooting a dude in the head.

Houn on
    edited November 2007

Eh, with infiltrator you still get the best of the tech abilities not to mention you're still a solid combat character.

Alucard6986 on
    edited November 2007

Eh, with infiltrator you still get the best of the tech abilities not to mention you're still a solid combat character.

I refuse to choose a class until I can see all the classes, and their skills, side-by-side.

Because they ALL sound awesome. TO THE MAX!!! Or something.

Houn on
  • Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    sometimes too many people died here, and you don't get to walk away.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
    edited November 2007

I wonder how important tech abilities will be. I mean, if there's like a thousand computer hack stations and stuff, then I'll roll infiltrator, get the sniper rifle and start sniping dudes. But if you can just roll through blowing stuff up the old fashioned way, i'll go soldier.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
    edited November 2007
    Jast wrote: »

I wonder how important tech abilities will be. I mean, if there's like a thousand computer hack stations and stuff, then I'll roll infiltrator, get the sniper rifle and start sniping dudes. But if you can just roll through blowing stuff up the old fashioned way, i'll go soldier.

Remember how many locked containers and doors there were in KOTOR? It seems about the same as that. Hell, even in the combat video from last week there was a locked crate sitting around.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
    edited November 2007

you'll be able to do both.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited November 2007
    Also, why bother shooting an Armature when you can make it go berserk and kill the geth troopers it's supposed to support?

Grid System on
    edited November 2007
    That brings up a question. Say there's a locked door, and I'm a soldier and nobody in my party has tech skills. Will that door be locked to me forever, or will I be able to find an alternate, but probaly enemy filled route, to get into that room? I heard containers won't be bashable like they were in Kotor.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
    edited November 2007
    Also, why bother shooting an Armature when you can make it go berserk and kill the geth troopers it's supposed to support?
    :^::^::^:
    But you miss AI hacking, which is something pretty cool. And possibly Reverse Engineering and Shielding. Nah, I'm sticking with Engineer. Pistols are good enough for me, and it's not like I can't still pull out the assault rifle when I get bored of that. I'll miss the ability to wear medium armour, though.

Obviously, if you want a weapon-centric character but still want to loot all those lockers and crates, just bring a decent tech character along with you.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
    edited November 2007
    That brings up a question. Say there's a locked door, and I'm a soldier and nobody in my party has tech skills. Will that door be locked to me forever, or will I be able to find an alternate, but probaly enemy filled route, to get into that room? I heard containers won't be bashable like they were in Kotor.

I'm sure you can switch out your party members.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited November 2007
    AI Hacking is Reverse Engineering. They changed the name.

edit: it looks like they also changed the name of shielding to damping.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited November 2007
    AI Hacking is Reverse Engineering. They changed the name.

Wow, that was kind of a misnomer, wasn't it? Makes sense though.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
    edited November 2007
    Since one of the humans is a
    sentinel
    anyway, looks like i'll have no problems.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
    edited November 2007

I'm sure you can switch out your party members.

Oh, I thought once you were on a planet you couldn't make any switches. Looks like I'll just roll soldier and pull out the tech guys when I need to. Since one of the humans is a
    sentinel
    anyway, looks like i'll have no problems.

oh yeah, I forgot about that. it's probably best to always roll with a tech of some kind.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited November 2007
    Well, there are three Tech characters in your squad to pick from, right? That's not too tough a blow.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, and I just read a dev post that says you have to return to the Normandy to switch out your party members, even though there will be some times for storyline reasons when you can switch out party members on a planet. I'll just always roll with at least one tech guy I guess just to be safe. I hate missing out on locked doors and crates.

Edit: I edited my previous post so people won't get confused on whether you can switch out party members on a planet or not.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
This discussion has been closed.