As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fire Emblem] Fates - The best FE character is now recruitable... for a price

SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
edited April 2016 in Social Entropy++
0e1cNM0.jpg

What is Fire Emblem?

Fire Emblem is a series of games best described as “fantasy chess, where the units can smooch each other.” The newest addition to the franchise, Fire Emblem Fates, is actually three separate games, Birthright, Conquest, and Revelations (available March 10 as DLC), each telling a different path of a branching story. A staple of the FE series is how units that fight together can develop relationships, have unique 'support conversation' events, and make each other stronger in battle.

What’s new to Fates?
  • Phoenix mode, a difficulty where characters revive the next turn after they are killed
  • The ability to create a reloadable quicksave mid-chapter in Casual and Phoenix mode
  • Weapons no longer have usage amounts (they no longer break), and instead have different stat benefits and drawbacks
  • New classes, such as Maid, Butler, and Ninja, as well as new ways to reclass (e.g. to have a unit take on the class of their partner or selected best friend)
  • Revisions to the Pair Up system, where paired up units can either guard or attack, and enemies can now pair up as well
  • Two same sex romances (your gal can smooch a specific gal in Birthright; your guy can smooch a specific guy in Conquest; both are likewise available in Revelations)
  • My Castle, a customizable base of operations that other players can visit, battle, and create magical babies with you via wifi and StreetPass

I heard this series involves permadeath?

Yes, if you play in Classic mode, units that die in battle either die for real or are too injured to fight in the future. However, Casual and Phoenix modes are available where units revive after a chapter or after a turn, respectively.
Aside from the different modes above, you can also choose a range of difficulties, from Normal, Hard, and Lunatic.

Which version should I get?

Some people will be playing through all three versions, but if you must choose one, Nintendo recommends you choose between Birthright or Conquest. Revelations is often called the “true” path, but it apparently contains plot events that may be confusing if you haven’t played either Birthright or Conquest first.
If you want to purchase more than one version, you can save some money if you purchase the other paths as DLC from within the game:
BibNGJC.png

Yes, but which version should I get?

If you want to choose based on gameplay mechanics, here are some things to consider:
  • Birthright is the easier game; Conquest is more difficult
  • Birthright has Awakening style simpler chapter objectives (e.g. rout the enemy); Conquest has more difficult objectives and maps
  • Birthright allows grinding and you can gain experience and levels between chapters; Conquest is traditional FE and you cannot grind outside of the EXP DLC map
  • Birthright is hailed as new FE “Awakening-like”; Conquest is old-school FE

If you want to choose based on story, Birthright has you playing as the traditional ‘good guys’, defending the peaceful Kingdom of Hoshido from the invading Nohr army. In Conquest, you remain with the Kingdom of Nohr, and try to reform the corrupt country from within.

Frankly, I’d choose a side based on which siblings you find more appealing, your Hoshidan birth family, or your Nohrian adoptive one.
SOO1Mn4.jpg

Customizing Your Avatar

Once you’ve selected the version you want to start playing, you’ll get to customize your avatar (by default named Corrin). Here are some things to get you started:
Helpful Tips
  • To quickly reset your game, press L, R, and Start together.
  • You can turn down the difficulty mid-game (but you can’t turn the difficulty back up). This will also reincarnate your dead characters if you move from Classic to Casual or Phoenix.
  • Reclassing or promoting your units no longer resets their level, so you have to choose characters’ level ups and classes more carefully, and you shouldn’t promote a unit until they reach Level 20 if possible. If a unit is past the levels where skills are acquired in a new class, it will learn the previous skills one level up at a time, starting with the lowest levelled skill. Don’t fret too much about this, as there are items that can raise a unit’s level cap (ordinarily at 40) another five levels, and you can do this all the way up to level 99.
  • There are child characters, and if you are playing a male avatar and want all the child characters, you must romance a woman who can’t romance anyone else, such as Scarlet or Flora.
  • Unfortunately, the same sex romance options lock you out of some kid characters :|

Useful References

signature.png
Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
SilverWind on

• Options
    Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    That inheritance planner is nice, but is there a way to set it to have a female avatar?

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    That inheritance planner is nice, but is there a way to set it to have a female avatar?

Click kana's head to change their gender and it changes the avatar gender appropriately

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Just click the Kana icon to switch it over to a female Avatar. :D

Also, man whoever pointed out that only the green faceless attack in the Boo Camp DLC map deserves a coke

signature.png
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Those Faceless sure do move on Mozu quicker in Hard mode!!!

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Some of these supports are great.

Like in the Odin/Peri one you find out
    Xander told Peri to join an anger management group that she now leads.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    All of Ryoma's supports so far:

Ryoma: I am watching you training and you are really good at x but have you thought about doing y
    Other person: I did y and wow you are right Ryoma look how much better I am now
    Ryoma: You are fabulous and you have improved so much but also don't forget you were always a great person! You do you, btw here is what I will do when I am king
    Other person: Wow you are definitely the most noble person ever

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »
    Just click the Kana icon to switch it over to a female Avatar. :D

Also, man whoever pointed out that only the green faceless attack in the Boo Camp DLC map deserves a coke

i graciously accept my coke via usps or any other delivery service

• Options
    I really thought that Ryoma's conversation with Saizo was going to delve into his insecurities ruling, given what they talk about in the C support

(It doesn't)

signature.png
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Ryoma thoughts, slight spoilers for chapter... I wanna say 13? 14? of Birthright
    Ryoma is pretty dang boring, but I did enjoy his reintroduction which is basically:
    Scarlet: Oh my goodness, you're THE Ryoma?? I didn't realize that I was working alongside royalty!

Ryoma: Ha ha it's fine, I didn't want you to treat me any differently than your other recruits!

....you can call me Lord Ryoma now.

Like hey buddy, nobody actually offered you a title of deference yet, so 'lord' is actually a step up from what they were calling you, you're not coming off super humble here :P

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    The way y'all talk about Hoshido makes me believe Nohr really did get all the fun supports.

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    I really liked the Arthur/Benny support line, but I'm a bit sad that A+ supports don't actually have a conversation associated with them. I wanted to see the culmination of their cool friendship, dammit!

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Every conversation I unlock for Effie has been solid gold.

Just make the next game about Effie's adventures in calisthenics and tree crushing please.

• Options
    Even Xander's stat up comments are cooler than Ryoma's

"I'm ready to lead my kingdom!" (4-5 stat up Ryoma) - "Admirable results, but it's not enough." (4-5 stat up Xander)

Ryoma's 6+ stat one is about not wanting to brag but feeling good... Xander's is him wanting to battle to test his new limits.

signature.png
  • Options
    I still maintain Takumi makes up for Ryoma, though. His son Kiragi also has some fun supports, too!

Also I really like Hisame's supports, and not just for the pickle obsessions.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    I was going to make a post that was like "All of Xander's supports so far" but his are actually pretty varied from what I've seen. But the most common theme goes like this:

Xander: You seem troubled.
    Other person: I have a problem, Lord Xander.
    Xander: Ah. Please excuse me.
    *time passes*
    Other person: Lord Xander, my pains have been softened by an act of kindness that can in no way be traced back to you.
    Xander: No comment.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Yeah, Takumi is a lot more interesting than Ryoma. How far are you in Birthright so far, @Janson?

signature.png
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    The way y'all talk about Hoshido makes me believe Nohr really did get all the fun supports.

I'm greatly looking forward to my Conquest run, it does sound like there are some interesting characters over there.

Some of the Hoshido party are pretty boring, but in its defense there are some standouts! Setsuna, Kaden, and Azama are all pretty fun with whoever they support with. Mozu is pretty nice as well.

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I don't think there are any bad characters in conquest? maybe nyx, she gets a little too close to that "it's okay that she looks like a child because she's really like 90" and is also kind of boring

• Options
    Kaden and Selkie are delightful

I'm on chapter 25 now! I have done so many supports yet I have so many left to do, too

Uh, I haven't used Setsune (except to marry her to Ryoma) or Azama at all...

• Options
    Azama's a dude who went into the priesthood but REALLY shouldn't have and is passive-aggressively lashing out at the world out of dissatisfaction. It's very entertaining, and also infuriating!

He's so bitter it's amazing!

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Azama's a dude who went into the priesthood but REALLY shouldn't have and is passive-aggressively lashing out at the world out of dissatisfaction. It's very entertaining, and also infuriating!

He's so bitter it's amazing!

When you promote him to great monk he WRECKS EVERYTHING.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Oh my god Corrin is such a dweeb, her support with Benny is great.
    C: Is it true that you once tossed a man so high into the sky that he never came down?

B: Yeah, that's true.

C: What!? Really!?

B: No, of course not.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    I kinda feel like both the noble families needed to lose like, one member and just consolidate their characteristics into someone else

if you just kinda fold Ryoma into Hinoka very little is lost imo, and I haven't done Conquest yet but I'm guessing there's a weak link there too

• Options
    Daypigeon wrote: »
    I kinda feel like both the noble families needed to lose like, one member and just consolidate their characteristics into someone else

if you just kinda fold Ryoma into Hinoka very little is lost imo, and I haven't done Conquest yet but I'm guessing there's a weak link there too

Nohr doesn't suffer the existence of weak links, every Nohr sibling is amazing in their own special way.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    I'm loving Conquest so far, but as a first time FE player I'm constantly worried that I'm screwing up

I'm noticing that a lot of my team ends up dying on missions, and I guess I should restart for the EXP

Also I feel like I'm not working enough towards supports

I'm having fun, though!

• Options
    ph blake wrote: »
    Daypigeon wrote: »

Nohr doesn't suffer the existence of weak links, every Nohr sibling is amazing in their own special way.

Yeah. All the Nohr siblings are pretty good. Combat and personality wise.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I guess I'll have to see how the story treats the characters from the Nohr side still but I think the writers liked the Nohr siblings a lot more too.

• Options
    I don't think you could point to one of the Nohrian siblings and say "Here is the weak link" in terms of characterization. They're all really distinct from each other. If I had to choose one to cut it would probably come down to Elise or Leo and I couldn't pick between them at all, and you definitely couldn't combine them, they're too different.

I ended up using all four in my final team because they were huge bad-asses and I had a lot of affection for them

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    cut camilla and hinoka

one is super weird and the other offers nothing

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'll cut you

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Counterpoint

Hinoka is actually great, and also has the best (worst) retainers.

Radius on
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I'll cut you

I don't know how you would reach me if you're hanging out with Camilla

cause she is at the very far back of the bench

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    I'm loving Conquest so far, but as a first time FE player I'm constantly worried that I'm screwing up

I'm noticing that a lot of my team ends up dying on missions, and I guess I should restart for the EXP

Also I feel like I'm not working enough towards supports

I'm having fun, though!

You are probably OK! If worse comes to worst, you can knock down the difficulty, but if you're finishing the missions that means you're strong enough to keep going if you know what you're doing in a given scenario.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Radius wrote: »
    Counterpoint

I actually liked Hinoka but she really didn't bring much to the table as one of like 7 flying units you get for hoshido

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Radius wrote: »
    Counterpoint

The support between Saizo and Setsuna (at least the C level) goes a long way to develop Hinoka

signature.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Here are some HOT TIPS for new people
    • The damage formula is (roughly): ( Weapon Mt + Str/Mag ) - Enemy Def/Res. You should use this whenever possible if enemies are too far away to engage to get a more accurate reading.
    • A unit that has five more speed than their opponent attacks twice. This is very key and you should remember this when engaging.
    • Check skills. You do not want to bumrush the enemy only to die because they had Counter.
    • Units are capped at 40 levels (barring Eternal Seals, which are expensive), so don't promote at level 10. Wait until 20.
    • Do not use stat boosts make a character better at things they already excel at. Characters have stat caps, and if a character has a high, say, Str growth rate, then they will likely cap it on their own. Stat boosts are better suited for shoring up weak points (giving Rinkah +HP or Str, for example). This doesn't mean waste them on a character where it is unlikely to make a difference (boosting, say, defense on a character who is still single-digit), but basically hang onto them until later when you can better assess your MVPs and their rough stats. Unless you got a specific plan in mind (Jakob is going to be the BEST DARK MAGE EVER).
    • Pairing up, be it attack or guard stance, is always a good idea. It's generally a bad idea to have a character attacking solo. Supporting means even small stat boosts like hit or avoidance, and also a nice crit chance reduction.
    • Speaking of which: Luck reduces your chance to be crit. If you're facing a class that likes to crit (berserkers) then find a pair-up that boosts your luck, use Luck-boosting weapons, or skills like Rally Luck or Inspiring Song.
    • Good formation saves lives. Characters like Jakob and Felicia have auras that reduce damage taken, which can really take you far in the long run. Always try to have synergistic skills
    • Be careful when promoting/reclassing units. If the new class doesn't use any of their old weapons then you have to start with crappy bronze/brass weapons which cannot crit or proc skills. This means a considering drop in quality for that character, which can snowball into them getting less XP since they can't do anything.
    • Attack stance is a good way to get an underleveled character XP. Have the low-level character initiate an attack paired with a strong character whose paired attack will finish off the enemy.
    • Feed Lilith whenever you can, especially on Conquest since she poops gold bars every so often.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    cut all the hoshidan royals. maybe not hinoka cause she's a cute tomboy but the other 3 can go.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Janson wrote: »
    All of Ryoma's supports so far:

Ryoma: I am watching you training and you are really good at x but have you thought about doing y
    Other person: I did y and wow you are right Ryoma look how much better I am now
    Ryoma: You are fabulous and you have improved so much but also don't forget you were always a great person! You do you, btw here is what I will do when I am king
    Other person: Wow you are definitely the most noble person ever

orochi's is different! she's like "dog you gotta chill out a little" and he's like "but I don't wanna" and she's like "deal with it, chump"

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    Reposting my quick notes about Boo Camp for Conquest players from the last thread since it was basically on the last page:

The important thing on boo camp for Conquest players is to prioritize killing the green faceless and golems whenever they spawn. The yellow faceless only ever focus on fleeing, which is good because they generally have superior stats to the green ones and the only time they attack you is as part of a dual strike. Golems are generally especially dangerous because they spawn with freeze and certain blow, which means any unit that gets attacked by one on their turn has a pretty good chance of being rooted and more vulnerable to other attacks because of the -20 to evade debuff. They apply the debuff even if your character takes no damage from getting hit, which is super dumb IMO. Also watch out for green faceless that apply seal defense because that results in a lot more damage taken. As long as you clear out any green faceless and golems you should take no damage during the enemy turns and have a few units free to chip away/kill yellow faceless.

Generally from my experience with the map if you do a decent job of keeping up with the spawns and killing enough of the yellow faceless (or maybe the boss ones that spawn) you get an extra wave of only yellow faceless on both sides of the map. That's where a goodly amount of XP comes from. Also bring ranged weapons on everyone you can, since that allows for easy setup of dual strikes and generally lets you soften up the faceless for weaker characters to get the kill.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Conquest 14 was a nice breath of fresh air after the slaughterfest that was 13 on hard.

Gameplay wise that is; the story continues to make zero sense, mostly because Corrin has a bad case of the stupid.

Got my first S-rank though, with Laslow and Beruka. It was alright for an Inigo rehash, and just from peeking at the paralogue intro Soleil seems cool. Holding off on actually recruiting her until I have some better skills to pass down, though I'll probably get impatient and settle for whatever since I'm not min/maxing this playthrough.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
This discussion has been closed.