As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We should all really quit [Social Media]: Facebook changes product branding to FACEBOOK

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I moved out of marketing and muted everyone on my Twitter who works in marketing.

It was fucking sweet.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I made a Twitter account mostly to get the DouglasDanger name

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    muting is almost better than blocking in a lot of ways

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    My best friend has a new girlfriend and I may have to mute the both of them until they get out of that insufferable "WE INVENTED LOVE AND THE WORLD MUST HEAR ABOUT IT" phase

• crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    muting is almost better than blocking in a lot of ways

I ended up using it over unfollowing (my secret dream) just because I figured it's more polite.

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    My best friend has a new girlfriend and I may have to mute the both of them until they get out of that insufferable "WE INVENTED LOVE AND THE WORLD MUST HEAR ABOUT IT" phase

the trick is to make a private alt account for all your sickeningly romantic shit so that people have to voluntarily agree to be exposed to that

• MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Welp, my father-in-law has gotten into Facebook. I thought it would be him slowly dipping his toes into it, commenting on family member posts, but he basically cannonballed into it, sharing inspirational quotes, dumb quizzes, funny jokes, SLOFLO videos, and oddly enough... contradictory political reposts.

Like, he'll have a pic of a lady in a Hijab sitting during the supposed National Anthem at a sporting event (with a screed about how these foreigners don't respect our customs), only to be followed immediately by a post about how Trump is racist and don't vote for him!!!

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    My siblings all follow me on Twitter but I only follow one of them, because I am capricious and lazy

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    My mom destroyed me on Facebook

pg8vys74jctv.jpeg

Abracadaniel on
    My mother once bitched Geebs out for pulling a face in his profile picture.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I still haven't changed it!

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Disrespecting Tube's mother, are we?

b1ehrMM.gif
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    My mother once bitched Geebs out for pulling a face in his profile picture.
    I still haven't changed it!

"Ugh your friend keeps making that ugly face on facebook!"

"Mom, that's just his face, be nice"

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    My mom got a facebook account today. She friend requested me, but before I accept...is there a way to find every old facebook post containing the word "mom" and delete it?

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I made it so that my account was not visible to my mom. I can see her, she can't see me.
    It's cruel, but it beats her posting "CALL ME" every time my name pops up.

• SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/a0/56ivhlr3x6ec.png

So I think I've been put on a list

Anyone else get suspicious strings of Twitter followers before

E: hoooooly crap phone screenshots are HUGE

Somestickguy on
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Same thing happened to me on Facebook a few years ago. Suspicious friend invites from accounts with scantily clad women in the pic. Sad part is I know a few fools who accepted that crap, my uncle being one of them.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    My mom got a facebook account today. She friend requested me, but before I accept...is there a way to find every old facebook post containing the word "mom" and delete it?

You can adjust the privacy settings so that she can't see any of your posts at all if you wanted to.

PSN: BillyIdle_
    I wasn't sure where else to put this but it had to be shared. Like it's a scam or something I'm sure, altho, the endgame is possibly just confusion? there were no links, email itself was unreplyable to on test. Maybe a scambot has actually become sentient and is just trying to reach out?

This was the entire email
    Good night,
    I have decided I will know, I hope you not against. I wanted to be with you for good friends, you not against. He is interesting, which carry this meeting. Maybe you're the world for someone, but for someone you are the whole world!!! I'm very lonely at the moment! Yours, Yana.

• BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    I want to be interesting enough to carry this meeting...

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    This Snapchat update is fun.

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    So after about a year of inactivity, I deactivated my Facebook account. Then I got a new cellphone, and the FB app is baked into the goddamned OS.

whattheshit..?

sig.gif
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    So after about a year of inactivity, I deactivated my Facebook account. Then I got a new cellphone, and the FB app is baked into the goddamned OS.

whattheshit..?

what phone?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Sorce wrote: »

whattheshit..?

what phone?
    Samsung Note 5.

I can remove all updates and "hide" the app, but straight up uninstallation ain't happening. At least not without Root.

sig.gif
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    I have a facebook "friend" that I keep around because she provides me with endless entertainment. Just today she posted a little blurb about how Rice is toxic and how it is actually plastic and contains cyanide. She goes on to say that since in a boiling pot it just sits there, then it is not alive unlike other grains that "dance around". On the one hand, it makes me sad that there are a not insignificant amount of people who believe this. On the other, it provides me with some entertainment.

good, when the apocalypse rolls around that's more rice for me. :P

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    edited May 2016
    Kid at work today was sad he forgot to book the day off for Grad.

I told him don't worry, within 4-5 months, he won't care at all.

And then in 5 years he 'll get to find out that 80% of the people in his school are huge racists on Facebook.

Seemed to cheer him up, at least the first part.

WiseManTobes on
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I did it, I unfollowed my first facebook friend for sharing something so unbearably leftwing and postmodern I just couldn't deal

I'm lucky enough not to have any rightwing nutjobs on my timeline, I curate it pretty well, but this girl

oof

I'm... actually upset over what that person thinks? damnit I hate it when I get mad at idiots on the internet

it just means they got one over me

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    An interesting article on Nextdoor decreasing the amount of racial profiling on their site.
    Erasing racism through technology alone is impossible, but Nextdoor found that a few changes to its interface actually did significantly discourage racial profiling by its users. On Thursday, Nextdoor rolled out these changes to all 110,000 neighborhoods on its platform. All users who make posts to their neighborhood’s “Crime and Safety” forum are now asked for additional information if their post mentions race. Nextdoor says that the new forms it’s introducing have “reduced posts containing racial profiling by 75% in our test markets.”

I had two examples of what I think of this. But I can't find em. So I'll just say I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, it's just changing the language used (giving a veneer of acceptability to racism), but on the other, changing the language used does change things. And whether or not changing the language used changes what is said, nextdoor has had the result that less has been said either way (there has been a 50% increase in abandoned posts), which is a definite improvement. And it's pleasing to hear them say that they don't mind a less active userbase if the result is a better quality userbase. Which is something more than a few other social media websites could stand to learn.

Gvzbgul on
    I did it, I unfollowed my first facebook friend for sharing something so unbearably leftwing and postmodern I just couldn't deal

I'm lucky enough not to have any rightwing nutjobs on my timeline, I curate it pretty well, but this girl

oof

I'm... actually upset over what that person thinks? damnit I hate it when I get mad at idiots on the internet

it just means they got one over me

alright I'm intrigued, go for it.

AdmiralAckbar.jpg

finally, something actually relevant to the topic of the thread

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    facebook, in attempt to get me to post more (I rarely post on my main page) has a little banner saying "8 of your friends have posted in the last day." It's kinda sad. I have less friends on facebook than most (only 130) but that so few of them are posting on facebook doesn't seem to bode well for the future of the platform.

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    kids who weren't old enough for facebook at its peak of around 2012 or so just don't get it

it's already becoming passe for an increasing number of people and tbh I'd join them if it weren't for event planning and group chats bc no one will use anything else

I don't think Facebook is going anywhere.

For my part, I've quit Twitter as a personal account, but obviously I still have to use it for work. I don't really miss it, once I got over the reflexive checking.

I think it's mostly like, if you're in the Facebook ecosystem at this point you're locked into it for the time being

but if you don't have it to start then there are other apps that do the same thing and have way less bloat

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I got rid of Twitter a long time ago.

Every now and then I try to go back to it because people share awesome and hilarious tweets. But I can't deal with all of the noise on there. It's non-stop and I can't figure out how to get rid of all of the shit I don't want to see.

I used twitter once to contact @NotASenator because he wasn't active on here or Facebook at the time and I forgot his email

I think that is the only time I have ever tweeted

I still have an active facebook account, because their chat app on the phone is actually really handy, but I don't think I've visited actual facebook in almost a year now.