As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Here a Kid, There a Kid, Everywhere there's a [Kids] Thread

lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
Welcome to the Parenting, kids, and pregnancy thread!

Share your stories, photos, anxieties, questions, and everything in between!

Be kind to each other!

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So to completely revers my winning in the last thread, today I got good news! I've lost 13kgs since getting pregnant!

Also, my baby girl is expert at lounging

f2c8qc60sxvg.jpg

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Kids are weird.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Check out this gift my sister got me. Each side of the box was an amazing new adventure!

Front
    5lsavvi6bea0.jpg

Sides
    xezfcj8vvckr.jpg
    ftr6fqqbywh9.jpg

Top/Bottom
    qollaj6v66xq.jpg
    l804e291k6xl.jpg

Back
    gcbmttp6zuyy.jpg

1.jpg 74.4K
    2.jpg 60.2K
    3.jpg 46.5K
    4.jpg 43.8K
    5.jpg 75.1K
    6.jpg 75.3K
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I was getting more and more mortified until I came upon this gem:

"For milk, formula, stew and cocoa."

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    So I was taking kiddo to art class today and we drove by a cemetary. Being in New Orleans this isn't uncommon and kinda cool to look at (we can't bury anyone underground so it's all tombs and cool stuff). Anyways we start talking about what to do in the event of a zombie invasion. So kiddo starts on about how it would be too hard to bash their heads in so we should just cut off their heads. Then you could keep them in jars or a glass case. And then kiddo says you could just dunk them all in water.

Guys, I think I am raising The Governor. I don't know how to feel about this. (And no she has never seen any part of The Walking Dead.)

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Holy god why did we start solid foods

These poops should be classified as war crimes

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    almost 3 weeks old and the difference in alertness is just astounding.

Much more awake time, so much more alert and responsive. She's following lights and shadow, holding her head up for longer, and just being closeer to "baby' than "infant". She's amazing.

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    James has figured out a new way to get through the baby gates. He hasn't figured out how to open them or climb over them. He just backs up about 10 feet, drops his shoulder and starts running and plows through them. He's gonna make a great forward.

How's your new little doing @Kakodaimonos ? I think yours and Ellie share a birthday, technically?

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    James has figured out a new way to get through the baby gates. He hasn't figured out how to open them or climb over them. He just backs up about 10 feet, drops his shoulder and starts running and plows through them. He's gonna make a great forward.

When my younger daughter was about 1, probably a little older, we had the stairs gated off to keep her downstairs with us and she crawled up the first one and pushed the gate over and said "gate down, haha."

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    As a quick update...Some of you might remember that this weekend we were going to set my 11 year old son and 16 year old niece loose in the mall with money to get my son clothes he likes because apparently my wife's purchases aren't terribly cool. Believe it or not the experiment went (mostly) well! He ended up with 3 pairs of pants, new sneakers and a bunch of new shirts from stores at the mall I'd never hit. She got a few things for an upcoming field trip to D.C. as well.

We learned he's better off shopping in the men's/young men's section at the smallest sizes than kids now though - things just don't fit him well in the kids section (especially in pants). That made me feel slightly old!

Two of the pairs of pants they bought have to be returned because they didn't listen to us on what size to buy, but otherwise I was shocked that he bought pretty nice stuff. He was also super impressed with having good quality sneakers, we figured his feet have stayed the same size for a few months so we'd let him buy some nice ones :)

While they shopped, my wife got a massage and I bought Mortal Kombat XL, Darth Vader sneakers, and browsed the comic store. Also, at the end there was frozen yogurt involved, that's always a sign of a successful day. I'll have to try to snap a pic of one of his new outfits to share.

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    that's a great story (although man he didn't try on the pants first?!)

We were at a department store in canada yesterday with my 18month old and we saw they had these nice toddler style Levis Jeans on sale. We basically plopped him on a table, took his pants off, tried those ones on real quick, then bought them. (also they were crazy price reduced, normally 28 on sale for 12 somehow so we bought 1 pair a size up as well)

good times

edit - you know what, we actually took of picture of them
    06wrk562bce2.jpg
    Looks at those god damn levi's jeans! so cute

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    So I guess three weeks is when the "challenge the parents to keep me alive' instincts kick in? Cause Ellie totally just tried to do a flying leap from my arms and onto the floor. Again.

This ya only going to get more challenging as she gets older, right?

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    So to completely revers my winning in the last thread, today I got good news! I've lost 13kgs since getting pregnant!

Also, my baby girl is expert at lounging

f2c8qc60sxvg.jpg

The lion and elephant appear to be reacting appropriately

• El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    So I guess three weeks is when the "challenge the parents to keep me alive' instincts kick in? Cause Ellie totally just tried to do a flying leap from my arms and onto the floor. Again.

The urge to kill themselves remains pretty constant through teenagehood, from what I can tell.

Of course, when they're more mobile it becomes a ton more challenging (Hello Mr. Light socket! So THAT's how you open a baby gate! So THAT's what pointy things taste like!), and after a while it evolves to include an urge to kill you as well!

For reference: My daughter's favorite thing has been to launch herself into either myself or my wife for a while now, usually at high speed and when we're not expecting it. This used to be cute, but now that a) she's 40 pounds and b) often launching herself at us from behind and c) sometimes off the top of the stairs, it tends to not be so cute anymore. :?

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    El Skid wrote: »

The urge to kill themselves remains pretty constant through teenagehood, from what I can tell.

Of course, when they're more mobile it becomes a ton more challenging (Hello Mr. Light socket! So THAT's how you open a baby gate! So THAT's what pointy things taste like!), and after a while it evolves to include an urge to kill you as well!

For reference: My daughter's favorite thing has been to launch herself into either myself or my wife for a while now, usually at high speed and when we're not expecting it. This used to be cute, but now that a) she's 40 pounds and b) often launching herself at us from behind and c) sometimes off the top of the stairs, it tends to not be so cute anymore. :?

Yeah, we're only at 18 months and my son will be sitting on me while I'm lying down and just throw himself at or away from me and it's up to me to pick up the slack. We've strategically let him fall off of certain things so he learns there are some consequences (first step of the stairs etc.), but the kid just loves danger.

Good thing his middle name is Hazard, it's scarily accurate.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular

Yup. *shudder*

I really don't handle the 6-18 month period, when they're getting super mobile (and strong!) but can't yet communicate well, very well. And diaper changes right now, yeeeesh.

my son was eating chili for lunch and dinner last week, really enjoyed it

before bed he deposited a load at the depot. My wife affectionately called it "hell diaper" and I had to remove it from our house asap.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    If I could give Anya pigtails every day, I would. Sadly she rarely lets me near her hair (which is partly why it's kept so short).

12512357_10156620822705385_1934769451410113289_n.jpg

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    How's your new little doing @Kakodaimonos ? I think yours and Ellie share a birthday, technically?

They do. It's been interesting. The second is definitely easier in a lot of ways and also harder. My wife had a C-section delivery since the first time ended up going that way also. But taking care of a 20 month old toddler and a newborn is exhausting. The baby is at least sleeping 3-4 hours at a time so we're not spread too thin. And there's been a lot of annoying family drama with my mother in law.

But the little girl is doing good. And I'm not sure whose baby has more hair. Yours or ours.

tBjcXKxm.jpg

Kakodaimonos on
    3 weeks today! from 2460g (5.4lbs) all the way to 3270g (7.2lbs). You don't really notice the difference until you see the photos.

jtxevr2y3bmw.png

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

They do. It's been interesting. The second is definitely easier in a lot of ways and also harder. My wife had a C-section delivery since the first time ended up going that way also. But taking care of a 20 month old toddler and a newborn is exhausting. The baby is at least sleeping 3-4 hours at a time so we're not spread too thin. And there's been a lot of annoying family drama with my mother in law.

But the little girl is doing good. And I'm not sure whose baby has more hair. Yours or ours.

tBjcXKxm.jpg

Ugh, family bullshit. I already told my mother straight to her face that if she starts any shit with my partner when we have kids, she will get cut the fuck off, quick as a flash. My Mum is fantastic (Amy even thinks so!) so it is very unlikely that she would cause a ruckus, and we're probably years away from kids yet, but she knows already anyway. I very strongly suspect that she will be the kind of Grandma that spoils the kids rotten every time they visit and always takes their side when they get in trouble, so they'll be fine.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    my son was eating chili for lunch and dinner last week, really enjoyed it

before bed he deposited a load at the depot. My wife affectionately called it "hell diaper" and I had to remove it from our house asap.

I was at a friend's house at the weekend when his three month old started making a noise that can only be described as oinking. This worried both parents as he had not done it before.

Shortly after came such a feotid stench that I temporarily lost my sight. The baby was removed to the next room for changing and through the wall we could hear muffled screams to the extent that the mum had to go and see what was up.

She came back pallid and silent. A changed woman.

I presume the father died in there.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    So my wife informed me that apparently the hospital never got around to the little task of filing Dexter's arrival with the county, which means that he hasn't legally existed this whole time! And now she has to wrangle to try and get a Social Security card for him so we can start his savings account.

Wheeeeeeee.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Trump is coming for your undocumented baby!

The cute, hairy babies! <3<3<3 So adorable!

I feel like Niko totally screwed me out of the cute newborn period.
    Farangu wrote: »
    So my wife informed me that apparently the hospital never got around to the little task of filing Dexter's arrival with the county, which means that he hasn't legally existed this whole time! And now she has to wrangle to try and get a Social Security card for him so we can start his savings account.

Wheeeeeeee.

Eep, good luck!

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Niko mean mugs better than any baby I've ever seen.

@Janson and @Moriveth you should be so proud.

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Marcus has starting having poos every other day instead of all the time. Generally makes it easier, except when it's at 4 am. So tired. Couldn't go back to sleep after because my body hates me.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    So, my son wadded an entire roll of tp into the bowl and tried to plung it after it wouldn't flush.

Anyways, he didn't tell me. I see the water in the bowl is a bit dirty and flush it. Oh boy, overflow!

Two bath towls and a roll of paper towls later and he tells the story.

It's so cute I couldn't even be a little mad

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
    BEEP BEEP, COMING THROUGH
    ssz2byb3nz15.jpg

what up dad? just chillin over here
    k1w1s49bpu9h.jpg

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Welp....we now officially have a crawler. God help us.

And this is how I eat breakfast nowadays.

IMG_20160310_070008.jpg

Sorry for potato quality

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    Janson wrote: »

Wheeeeeeee.

Eep, good luck!

Depending on how strict our Social Security office is, we have the docs needed to get his card. We could have resolved it yesterday, except that apparently our Social Security office closes at noon on Wednesdays for no real reason.

Wheeeeeeee.

Eep, good luck!

Depending on how strict our Social Security office is, we have the docs needed to get his card. We could have resolved it yesterday, except that apparently our Social Security office closes at noon on Wednesdays for no real reason.

just be glad you're doing this in the states. it's much more complicated over here to get an ssn organized. let alone her passport and citizenship.

Niko was looking adorable for approximately five seconds yesterday

12821491_10156631550810385_6765157831392982004_n.jpg

...right before he was like this for three hours. Nothing placated him, so I figured he probably wasn't feeling too well. He ate a huge dinner, though! I ended up giving him ibuprofen and that seemed to help.

12801655_10156633988905385_8372115509835125848_n.jpg

Wheeeeeeee.

Eep, good luck!

just be glad you're doing this in the states. it's much more complicated over here to get an ssn organized. let alone her passport and citizenship.

True, but down the line there's dual citizenship to look forward to, in case living out Mad Max is a fantasy of hers.

My kids'll be freely able to move from one fast-sinking, rich, white country with terrible politicians to another.

• bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    My dad didn't bother to get my brother's SSN sorted out until after I was born, so we have almost the same numbers since he did them at the same time (we're two years apart). We were born abroad

In other kid news, my niece turned 3 yesterday! I can hardly believe it! She's still blonde and blue eyed - can hardly believe that too!

bowtiedseal on
    My dad didn't bother to get my brother's SSN sorted out until after I was born, so we have almost the same numbers since he did them at the same time (we're two years apart). We were born abroad

In other kid news, my niece turned 3 yesterday! I can hardly believe it! She's still blonde and blue eyed - can hardly believe that too!

I nearly commented on her hair color on your Facebook post, but decided that might've come across as creepy considering I've only known of her through you, but yes, it's so rare to retain that blondeness after toddlerhood, and so cool! :D

• bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    Not creepy at all! And I know, it's crazy. My brother has my coloring (dark hair, dark eyes) and she is still almost platinum blonde. My sister in law is starting to get a little sensitive about the postman jokes, though ;)

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Back in November, @Khade97 was my secret santa and bought baby Dover a gift. At 4 months old now, they finally fit!

Then:

lcthc74ovoh3.jpg

Now:

ofdaufueiho5.jpg

Thanks again!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page