As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

skate 3: witty title under construction

darleysamdarleysam On my way toUKRegistered User regular
edited May 2010 in Games and Technology
skate 2.
We're back.

clang.jpg

So what's been going on?
Set 5 years after the original, things have changed in San Vanelona. The city was destroyed by natural TERRORISM and has been conveniently rebuilt just in time for your apparent escape from jail. I'll be honest, I don't know what you're doing in jail in the first place, but it's probably connected to skateboarding and disasters, and will be explained in the likely-entertaining intro video (skate's was fantastic).

What does this mean for me?
Well the city has a different layout, for a start. It's a good excuse to do that. Secondly there's a big, bad, anti-skating corporation running everything and making your life a hassle. One of the RPG elements of the game will reportedly have you made a choice to either work for this company or against them. Choosing the former makes heavy use of the 'get off your board and walk around' mechanics, where you are expected to show up at 8:55am every day and push furniture around until 5:30pm where you go home and sleep until the next day*.

*[tiny]unconfirmed in a preview I just made up[/tiny]

As pointed out early on, however, in those 5 years spent making nice with the inmates, skateboarders have now learned not only how to step off their boards, but also how to move things around. You are now free to walk around and position yourself how you like, and grab tables, funboxes, rails, and other bits and bobs to make your own lines and fun things to do. Isn't that cool?

You've also been practicing your mad skating skills, and have learned a few new tricks that affords you a far greater range of ways to screw up and chew concrete. Firstly, you have the ability to remove your feet from the board (press one of your 'push' buttons in the air, preferably while grabbing) or to hippy jump (hold both 'push' buttons and release to SPROING). These basically cause a sudden explosion in variety. Go on, check your trick list.
You also now have the ability to bust out some funky handplants, again modified with the face buttons or whatever.
There is also the inclusion of special moves. Try flicking both sticks around in different combos to execute them. So far the list discovered reads like so:
McTwist 540
Half-Cab Nutscratcher
'The Jerky'
Super Ollie
40-60 Grind
Tony Hawk
{list will be updated}

What if I already have skate?
Then you may be perfectly happy playing that, and more power to you. But I do suggest giving the demo a try and seeing what you can come up with, because there's already some rather cool things being done. Don't believe me? Watch this.

Awesome Tech

Uh.. I mean this

Awesome Tech!!!

I know, right?

Also, watch this, made by our very own Blakout
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIFwF0lwGFk

skate.xzzy.org
A handy site where you can go to upload your videos! Made by our very own xzzy, so be nice, thank him, and try not to break his internets.

Can I play with my friends?
Yes. To some degree, but I am uncertain exactly what the full range of multiplayer features will be (how open the city is, what modes and so on), although the demo features a couple of local modes that you may wish to try. I hear they are fun.

If you want people to play with, you can do worse than post in this thread and ask for gamertags and PSN IDs, add some folk, and get it on.

METATAGS!
360-owners can also send a friend request to PA Skate2 and use it like a clan list thing. You all know how that works now. It's run by MyNameIsWalrus, so.. just post in here to get his attention if you're left hanging.

If you're-a-peein (hurrr, European) then you should add Tu Wang Clan to your list, where other cultured gentlemen will gladly find the time to skate with you.

FOR PS3 OWNERS!
Name - ID

BloodyRoarXX - bloodyroarxx
Nocren - Nocren
liquidlogan - liquidlogan
rC7QKgAAAADXX1R1IRJ8AA.JPG

LoDposter.jpg

Skateistan!
http://www.boingboing.net/2009/01/27/skateistanorg-a-skat.html
Afghan youth have learned to recover almost instantly from such routine violence. One person determined to inject some normalcy into their lives is Oliver Percovich. A 34-year-old from Melbourne, Australia, he plans to open this country’s first skateboarding school, Skateistan, this spring. He sees sport as a way to woo students into after-school activities like English and computer classes, which are otherwise reserved for the elite.
“Teenagers are trying to dissociate from old mentalities, and I’m their servant,” Percovich said. “If they weren’t interested, I would’ve left a long time ago.”
Now, when he pulls his motorcycle into a residential courtyard here, a dozen youngsters pounce before it comes to a stop, yanking six chipped skateboards with fading paint off the back. The children, most participating in a sport for the first time in their war-hardened lives, do not want to waste any time. Their skateboard park is a decrepit Soviet-style concrete fountain with deep fissures. The tangle of novice skaters resembles bumper cars more than X Games.

But Percovich has raised the money needed to build an 8,600-square-foot bubble to house the nonprofit Skateistan complex, and the Kabul Parks Authority has tentatively donated land. He is still waiting for official permission to begin the project. And since a spate of kidnappings and the car bombing in late November, he has reduced his daily sessions at the fountain to once or twice a week.

Among those who look forward to his visits is Maro, an elfin 9-year-old girl who was terrified of skateboarding at first. “It gives me courage, and once I start skating, I completely forget about my fears,” she said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/26/sports/othersports/26skate.html?_r=2&hp

Here's some arsey text I wrote for the old OP that says how to actually control the thing, just in case you've forgotten!
One does not play skate. merely by stabbing blindly at buttons with thumbs until actions are performed on the screen. No, sir, the good men, women and children at Black Box have developed their so-called "flickit" control-scheme. The analog stick on the right of your controller, rather than being menial camera controls or featuring some other such rudimentary allocation, is used to control your skateboard. Whereas Mr. Hawk merely requests that you press, and subsequently release, a button to cause your avatar to launch himself skyward, skate. takes a closer approximation of real-life activities, by asking you to pull the stick downwards, then 'flick it' up to do the same. To perform a kickflip or a heelflip, rather than pushing up, you flick off to either side. Seemingly complex, the entire system becomes rather intuitive after some practice, and features a number of detailed manoeuvres, visible here (regular) and here (goofy).

forumsig.png
darleysam on

• ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Mm that new thread smell.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Wish I had the money to pick this up. :|

YardGnome on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Smells like fiberglass, concrete, and pennies... wait, that's blood.

Alright... New thread, now let's get to work on this video.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    YardGnome wrote: »

You could always sell a kidney. It doesn't have to be your own.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    YardGnome wrote: »

You could always sell a kidney. It doesn't have to be your own.

I'm considering selling my brother.

YardGnome on
    edited November 2007
    http://www.goonskate.com/video.php?id=1332

she is a beautiful line!

And how the hell do you do a body varial? Is it a late shuvit and.. rotating the opposite way? I must know.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited November 2007
    Yeah it's a late-shuvit while turning your body the opposite way.

Straight from Het
    I find the easiest way is to ollie and when you push the right stick up, rotate it to the left (counterclockwise) while pressing right on the left stick (you can of course reverse all those and do it in the opposite direction)

Het makes some damn good videos.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
    edited November 2007
    he does indeed. I shall now learn the body varial, and incorporate it into my lines where necessary. Hot.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Think I'm gonna focus on "Bent Ledge Park" and "Are you Nuts?"

If I can't get something out of one of those I'll make a go of "No Man's Land".

xzzy on
    edited November 2007
    Take both of those, I've put you down for them at the moment. If you want the third too, just say (although I don't know how many we're giving out).

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited November 2007
    I'm just realizing how few spots I've actually found.

I've found a lot of great spots to skate, just not their OTS spots.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
    edited November 2007
    ShimSham wrote: »
    I'm just realizing how few spots I've actually found.

I've found a lot of great spots to skate, just not their OTS spots.

I got number 20 tonight. ;) Never bothered to pull the map up and hunt them down. Was one short.

xzzy on
  • SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    OH MAN.

I call lakeside!

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • japhjaph Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I definitely want to rip the Old Pool. No Man's land would be fun/hard too(off the top of my head). Depending on how many people want to get in on this.

Where is that spot in Old Town at the bottom? This game never ceases to amaze. I'm assuming courthouse area, but...?

japh on
  • Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I feel I've been so neglectful of my skate. duties with the veritable cornucopia of fall releases.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I still can't fucking get the skate website to let me look at my stuff. I am logged in, and then when I click on skate.reel, it magically signs me out and won't let me sign in because every time I click "sign in" it either just reloads the main page or tells me it can't load the page.

DarkPrimus on
    edited November 2007
    Since your EA Nation tag is linked to your gamertag, have you done what Shimmy does? (Upload something new then when it's in the new pile, click on it).

Since your account is linked you should be able to click on your name when the video comes up and be able to access your other videos. Once you're there, it would probably be best to save your section as a bookmark (I did).

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • defaultprophetdefaultprophet Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Owwww...found this while browsing the gallery...

http://skate.share.ea.com/profiles/2101/posts/566578.aspx

defaultprophet on
    edited November 2007
    Nocren wrote: »
    Since your EA Nation tag is linked to your gamertag, have you done what Shimmy does? (Upload something new then when it's in the new pile, click on it).

Since your account is linked you should be able to click on your name when the video comes up and be able to access your other videos. Once you're there, it would probably be best to save your section as a bookmark (I did).

About how long does it take for the video to show up?

EDIT: Over ten minutes, I guess. But I managed to log in and there's my newly uploaded video, waiting for me.

Here's a vid on the spot I picked out for myself.

YouTube link

I'm working on pulling gnarlier tricks on it, but you'd better believe it's hard enough doing the transfers successfully.

DarkPrimus on
    edited November 2007
    Oh, and here's a vid I did a while back of a sick line I did at the Art House.

YT

DarkPrimus on
  • J_LJ_L Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Put me down for Roof to Rough and The Old Pool

J_L on
    Got A Penny?[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    EvE: Vetitum/Venitum
    edited November 2007
    Awesome work at the library there Primus.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited November 2007
    Nocren wrote: »
    Awesome work at the library there Primus.

Thanks.

I'm thinking "Library Wall NW" is as good a name for the spot as any.

For those of you who can't tell where it is just by watching the video:

myspotio0.jpg

DarkPrimus on
    edited November 2007
    Right, I've updated the OP as best as I can, J_L and japh both want in on the Old Pool, but I guess that's okay if we have some overlap.
    I'll try to find somewhere for me tonight.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited November 2007
    xzzy on
    edited November 2007
    xzzy wrote: »

Yeah, I shouldn't have laughed at that :(

SO I've got that one spot in Old Town picked, I've got a couple of ideas for other ones that I want, but I'll have to go scouting tonight.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • YumcakeYumcake Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    xzzy wrote: »

You're horrible! D:

...How many points did you get for that line?

Yumcake on
    Cake is yum, is yum cake? I think, therefore I am. I am... Yumcake.

kelbear1.png
  • mescalitomescalito Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I want in on this, oh man.

just gotta figure out my fav spot first

mescalito on
    XBL: jawb0x
  • defaultprophetdefaultprophet Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So either they fixed skate.reel (doubtful) or I was graced by the gaming gods, because I logged in and clicked find it and it was actually found! Now I have my gamertag bookmarked and everything. So here's the first crop of flippity stuff I have done.

Please forgive the mongo pushing. I'm goofy and by the time I realized that A only makes you push normally when in regular stance, I had become used to it. Trying to correct it, but once again, have to fight the stoopid fingers...

First up, Quad Kickflip 360 in Matrix Plaza:

http://skate.share.ea.com/profiles/34979/posts/568522.aspx

Second, Double Heelflip to...shit, I wish I knew how to skate. Then maybe I would remember what it was called. Anyway just look:

http://skate.share.ea.com/profiles/34979/posts/568524.aspx

Finally, I found this neat little gap from a retaining wall under the highway down about 15 feet to another smaller retaining wall. After a number of broken bones and a couple face slams into the billboard I made the gap:

http://skate.share.ea.com/profiles/34979/posts/568523.aspx

defaultprophet on
    edited November 2007
    I'll post my little skate intro/bio in a bit (minus the "facts" and name) along with the 2 spots. I'll have to do the "attempt" bails later, though with my luck I'll probably nail the trick/grind every single time since I'll be TRYING to bail.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • SentienceSentience Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    My 360 is broken.

That means I can't play skate.

This makes me very sad.

Sentience on
    edited November 2007
    So, I installed DownloadHelper, but the icon is greyed out when I view the skate.share website... Anybody able to help?

EDIT: Never mind, I just had to click the flv to get it to load first. Hah.

DarkPrimus on
    edited November 2007
    Ok, so the system seems to be choking on my 25 sec no bail introduction run of awesomeness(all done completely back home at the CC without any of my usual camera edits and speed changes) but I'll offer up what I'll be presenting for my spots

Claustrophobia

The Claw

EDIT: IT WORKS!!!
    Nocren's Intro

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited November 2007
    Hmm, now when I try to use DownloadHelper to get a video I just uploaded, it only gives me the option to DL a previous flv I got... which is on a different page entirely. I hope this is just a temporary glitch on my end, I just did succeeded at something I've been attempting for a good hour now, and I have to show it off.

EDIT: Nocren, you pasted the same video URL twice there.

DarkPrimus on
    edited November 2007
    Hey.

Hey guys.

Don't try this at home.

DarkPrimus on
  • KaligordKaligord Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Im not sure why I keep coming into this thread, torturing myself as Im not able to buy the pretty right now. But as I am here I am forced to say the videos just keep getting better and better, especially the surprise sex in the underpass :winky: haha

I was thinking I can wait till Christmas to get SKATE but now Im not so sure, I guess I'll have to try and play The Witcher through my tears of dispair at being too poor for a 40 quid Xbox game, damn it.

Looking forward to the LOD video guys, keep up the good work.

Kaligord on
    And I - am not your enemy - not your destroyer - I am, as before, your right hand. Your sword.
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Has anyone taken the Helevator yet? I love that spot.

If I manage to get enough freelance work done tonight to pay off some Christmas presents I'll hop in and try and get some stuff recorded.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • J_LJ_L Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I just can't stop skating the upstairs area of The Matrix Plaza, so many possibilities! i like the transfers down to ground level the most thought:
    http://skate.share.ea.com/profiles/3490/posts/563378.aspx
    http://skate.share.ea.com/profiles/3490/posts/563325.aspx

J_L on
    Got A Penny?[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    EvE: Vetitum/Venitum
    edited November 2007
    Spent some time at my spots last night trying to decide what kind of stunts I wanted to attempt. Did up a quickie montage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKWQ91RRVs8

youtube absolutely butchered the quality. Not really sure how to set up a vid so it looks decent on youtube.

xzzy on
    edited November 2007
    Well I think I've found the spots I want, although none of them are actual registered places. I may swap one of them out, but it's a nice little run at the top of the map (I'll upload a video soon), and the other is the fun, long ledge that you have to manual down for a Thrasher challenge, not far from that Library Wall that DarkPrimus has.
    I also really like this place, too http://skate.share.ea.com/profiles/2795/posts/570982.aspx

edit: spork, did you want the Hellavator? No-one's claimed it yet.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png