As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Daylight Satans Time

joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class TraitorSmoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
edited March 2016 in Social Entropy++
This Sunday marks the start of DST in many states across the US.

Arguments for DST:
  • More natural light
  • Energy usage reduced (theoretically, I'm not sure how this holds up in practice)
  • Fewer car accidents on poorly lit roads (again, in theory)
  • Better times for football games (seriously...)
  • People who play golf get more time in the day to do that

Arguments against DST:
  • Disrupts sleep patterns (allegedly)
  • Changing all the clocks is a goddamn hassle every year
  • Potentially makes you late on the Sunday of the change, if you forgot about it
  • Causes health problems (according to several studies)
  • Cows hate it

joshofalltrades on

Daylight Satans Time 385 votes

Switching between the two is fine. Don't change a thing!
4%
SanderJKfightinfilipinoButtersIceyDonovan PuppyfuckerThe Cow KingLiiyaDesert LeviathanklemmingBaalorJarsSir FabulousOmnipotentBagelSnicketysnickPsykomacB557 16 votes
I like waking up to darkness and having the sun shine until late in the evening. Get on DST and stick with it!
13%
denihilistLegacyOrthancFishmanSyphonBluezipidideeAshcroftTayaDrezAngel_of_BaconcaptainkHoA-playerJimBobtheMonkeysilence1186ZekSirToastyJragghenTurkeyworksintheorydarleysam 52 votes
We should be on Standard Time all the time. That's why it's called Standard Time.
25%
WhippyLarlarShortyThe GeekNothingthe cheat#pipeHenroidDarmakRinderButlerHandgimpToxRaijin QuickfootPreacherASimPersonJavenVladimerGimWeaver 100 votes
I don't care which schedule we are on, but we should pick one and never swap.
39%
MulletudeLord DaveMysstschussMojo_JojoMulysaSemproniusAshtonDragonJasconiusKevin CristGarthorHouk the NamebringerIndie WinterJansonMagic PinkZeroCowMegaMan001Descendant XDevlin_DragonusLindsay LohanSlacker71 153 votes
Larlar
16%
SporkAndrewMachwingMunkus BeaverKalTorakInquisitorKadithAl_watKarl-SPI-tynicDouglasDangerClint Eastwoodph blakeCarson VendettaMeldingCaulk Bite 6ReynoldsDedpuppyFCDkriegs 64 votes

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84aWtseb2-4

time changes are bullshit garbage, DST costs more than it saves (if it saves anything) by a pretty large margin

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    MAKE IT STOP

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    We should be on Standard Time all the time. That's why it's called Standard Time.
    I tried not to be biased against DST in the OP but

I'm biased against DST

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I like waking up to darkness and having the sun shine until late in the evening. Get on DST and stick with it!
    I'm never going to be the sort of person who wakes up early in the morning to go outside

So let's stay on Daylight Savings Time all the time, and keep the light burning as long as possible

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    TIME IS A FLAT CIRCLE

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Alternately let's abolish daylight savings time but also let's abolish time zones and bring on the future in full force

Everyone functions on GMT, and we just develop a goddamn understanding that dusk/dawn aren't the same all over the world

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    I generally prefer longer evenings, so I voted that way.

Probably won't be a contentious about it as the 'what day does the week start on' thread, though.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I say we abolish all measurements of time.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Alternately let's abolish daylight savings time but also let's abolish time zones and bring on the future in full force

Everyone functions on GMT, and we just develop a goddamn understanding that dusk/dawn aren't the same all over the world

Wha

What is this

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I don't give a shit, just pick one. Losing / gaining an hour messes me up for like a month.

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Dear other 49 states,

uh maybe catch up with the 22nd century, bruh

~your pals arizona

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I would be perfectly happy to stick with the summer time so it's always light out in the evenings. But stop fucking around with changing things when not everywhere adheres to DST so it's screwing up time schedules even more.

• Options

Wha

What is this

Time zones are an inefficient measure to solve a problem that doesn't really exist anymore

Also I am a crazy person

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    This means I lose an hour of sleep this weekend, so we need it gone literally right now.

• Options
    NeoToma wrote: »
    Dear other 49 states,

~your pals arizona

too bad arizona's a fuckin hell hole

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    There actually are benefits to starting the day later during the winter, particularly when it comes to saving on energy costs for heating schools and businesses and running public transportation and the like. And likewise, starting earlier in the summer means most commutes are happening before it starts warming up.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I'm thinking about springing forward tonight, and setting all my clocks early

So that I don't have to lose sleep on a night where I have to wake up and go to work

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I disagree, with the advent of cellular and wifi technology many clicks can automatically adjust their time according to location

Therefore let's make time zones continuous instead of discrete

It's 12 in Dallas but 12:15 in Houston

• Options
    I disagree, with the advent of cellular and wifi technology many clicks can automatically adjust their time according to location

This would drive me up the fucking wall

• Options

This is like the more cyberpunk version of what I proposed

So yeah, I'm down

• Options
    edited March 2016

Wha

What is this

Time zones are an inefficient measure to solve a problem that doesn't really exist anymore

Also I am a crazy person

Oh if we want to get crazy I take the opposite approach. Noon should mean noon as in solar noon. Let's abolish time zones and make local time structured entirely around when the sun is at its apex, so you need to know your exact longitudinal position in order to figure out what time it is. Everyone has a GPS in their pocket now, this shit is doable.

Edit: What the hell, Speed Racer and I have the same insane idea. That's probably a really bad sign.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

the downside is that i would never be able to wrap my head around it completely, and travel would be that much more confusing

• Options

the downside is that i would never be able to wrap my head around it completely, and travel would be that much more confusing

"I'm so happy I get to visit you this weekend!"

"Me too! What time do you think you'll get here?"

"One thir... two fif... fuck if I know!"

• Options
    I've actually thought about it both ways a bunch, and I think the human brain is better adapted to the concept of dawn is at 11 AM in New Jersey and 2 PM in New Mexico than it is to the constant changing times of the precisely located stuff.

Like, in terms of planning, at least.

Say you need to get to work at 9 AM, but you live about 20 miles west of where you work. It will take you thirty minutes to drive there, what time do you leave your house?

Yeah, you'd be able to figure it out through repetition easily enough, but it would be a huge pain in the ass every time you needed to go to a new place.

• Options
    I've actually thought about it both ways a bunch, and I think the human brain is better adapted to the concept of dawn is at 11 AM in New Jersey and 2 PM in New Mexico than it is to the constant changing times of the precisely located stuff.

Say you need to get to work at 9 AM, but you live about 20 miles west of where you work. It will take you thirty minutes to drive there, what time do you leave your house?

Yeah, you'd be able to figure it out through repetition easily enough, but it would be a huge pain in the ass every time you needed to go to a new place.

The digital assistant in my phone already tells me when to leave my house to get to work on time, factoring in traffic.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Larlar
    wait DST starts this sunday?

ffffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkk

• Options
    Oghulk wrote: »

This has been a public service announcement

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    More like Daylight Savings Time Cube

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    re: Thread title

Is dumb

• Options
    Parts of Indiana don't change their time either.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular

Correct

On the first day of next week

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    NeoToma wrote: »
    Dear other 49 states,

~your pals arizona

too bad arizona's a fuckin hell hole

Well I mean this can still fuck up anyone who is dealing with an Arizon-based entity. I turned in a late assignment for University of Phoenix once because whoops they don't do DST.

• Options
    One huge advantage to having discrete time zones though is that you can tell an entire time zone when something will happen, like if the President is going to address the nation, and you can easily and quickly do the mental math to know when it's going to happen in your time zone, regardless of whether you live there or not

If you make time zones continuous, it would be a clusterfuck for anybody who wasn't intimately familiar with how their current city's time is set in relation to such announcements

• Options
    WheatBun01 wrote: »
    re: Thread title

Is dumb

Better?

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »

Correct

On the first day of next week

In years to come, schoolkids will study you and write essays debating how history's greatest monster was allowed to go unchecked for so long.

forumsig.png
  • Options

The digital assistant in my phone already tells me when to leave my house to get to work on time, factoring in traffic.

Fair

I do not use GPS for anything, so this idea is very uncomfortable to me

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I don't mind changing the clocks, I think its fine.

• Options
    One huge advantage to having discrete time zones though is that you can tell an entire time zone when something will happen, like if the President is going to address the nation, and you can easily and quickly do the mental math to know when it's going to happen in your time zone, regardless of whether you live there or not

If you make time zones continuous, it would be a clusterfuck for anybody who wasn't intimately familiar with how their current city's time is set in relation to such announcements

Right, that's why we synchronize everyone to the same time

Fuck this 9 Eastern/8 Central bullshit

It's all at the same time!

• Options
    Liiya wrote: »
    I don't mind changing the clocks, I think its fine.

I always knew you were the only cool one here.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

What is your digital assistant? I may be interested in such an entity.