As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Daylight Satans Time

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Switching between the two is fine. Don't change a thing!
    Madican wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I've actually thought about it both ways a bunch, and I think the human brain is better adapted to the concept of dawn is at 11 AM in New Jersey and 2 PM in New Mexico than it is to the constant changing times of the precisely located stuff.

Like, in terms of planning, at least.

Say you need to get to work at 9 AM, but you live about 20 miles west of where you work. It will take you thirty minutes to drive there, what time do you leave your house?

Yeah, you'd be able to figure it out through repetition easily enough, but it would be a huge pain in the ass every time you needed to go to a new place.

The digital assistant in my phone already tells me when to leave my house to get to work on time, factoring in traffic.

What is your digital assistant? I may be interested in such an entity.

Cortana. She's not too good at helping me kill alien soldiers (although they're still working on features, so that might be coming), but she's decent at reminders.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    It's called British Summer Time anyway.

(Insert joke about the weather being shitty during a UK summer)

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    We should be on Standard Time all the time. That's why it's called Standard Time.
    I work early mornings.

This makes the Daylight Savings switchover the devil.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    We should be on Standard Time all the time. That's why it's called Standard Time.
    I work early mornings.

I have a feeling work schedules are pretty much responsible for most of the split on this particular poll

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I work early mornings.

I have a feeling work schedules are pretty much responsible for most of the split on this particular poll

Like I said a few ago it's going to be a night of more idiocy at work as I highly doubt they will give us a straight answer if we work an extra hour or leave at 7am or what
    as if the past holds true a lot of people will take off at the new 7 as there will nothing to do since it's already how bored can you get past lunch

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    The dumbest thing we do every year and this is a country that has a golf channel.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I don't care which schedule we are on, but we should pick one and never swap.
    I've actually thought about it both ways a bunch, and I think the human brain is better adapted to the concept of dawn is at 11 AM in New Jersey and 2 PM in New Mexico than it is to the constant changing times of the precisely located stuff.

Say you need to get to work at 9 AM, but you live about 20 miles west of where you work. It will take you thirty minutes to drive there, what time do you leave your house?

Yeah, you'd be able to figure it out through repetition easily enough, but it would be a huge pain in the ass every time you needed to go to a new place.

The digital assistant in my phone already tells me when to leave my house to get to work on time, factoring in traffic.

Cortana. She's not too good at helping me kill alien soldiers (although they're still working on features, so that might be coming), but she's decent at reminders.

I'll have to download that app when I get home then. Could use some reminders and that one feature in particular you mentioned about letting me know when to leave taking into account traffic is nice.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    The dumbest thing we do every year and this is a country that has a golf channel.

There are people who livestream chess tournaments

I love chess, but

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Fuck this change. For some reason it takes me about a week or more to get used to the hour change so I'm not a zombie at work.

• Options

I'll have to download that app when I get home then. Could use some reminders and that one feature in particular you mentioned about letting me know when to leave taking into account traffic is nice.

Doesn't Cortana come standard on all the newer iPhones

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I like waking up to darkness and having the sun shine until late in the evening. Get on DST and stick with it!
    I like the extra daylight in the evenings.

I get up at 5am though, so this is gonna be balls for a little bit.

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Larlar
    I don't see why we don't just fall back an hour twice a year instead of alternating

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options

I have Android.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Chess tournaments are way more fun if you take a drink everytime someone captures a piece.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I like waking up to darkness and having the sun shine until late in the evening. Get on DST and stick with it!
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    I don't see why we don't just fall back an hour twice a year instead of alternating

Are you an insane person or just bad at math?

• Options
    Chess tournaments are way more fun if you take a drink everytime someone captures a piece.

tbf almost everything is more fun when you play a drinking game

• Options

Cortana is Microsoft.

Siri is Apple.

• Options
    Oh I was thinking of Windows 10 for some reason

Don't mind me

• Options
    Cortana's available on all three platforms though.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Larlar
    BlueBlue wrote: »

Are you an insane person or just bad at math?

nyoro~n

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Oh, neat.

I didn't realize it was available for the iPhone.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Uuuggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Monday will be the worst

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

I had a chess set that was all shot glasses once

We had to either set up teams or load them with wine or beer (which actually worked pretty well)

Otherwise people got way too fucked up

• Options
    Polling update: Larlar is tied with the people who are okay with DST in one form or another

• Options
    My only objection to Daylight Savings is that Savings Accounts aren't really worth much. We'd be better off investing in Daylight Mutual Funds Time

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    This Sunday marks the start of DST in many states across the US.

Arguments for DST:
    • More natural light. This is dumb
    • Energy usage reduced (theoretically, I'm not sure how this holds up in practice). Ehhhhhhh
    • Fewer car accidents on poorly lit roads (again, in theory). This is why God invented headlights
    • Better times for football games (seriously...). Ok this might matter
    • People who play golf get more time in the day to do that. Haha no fuck those people

Arguments against DST:
    • Disrupts sleep patterns (allegedly). Yuuup
    • Changing all the clocks is a goddamn hassle every year. Yuuup
    • Potentially makes you late on the Sunday of the change, if you forgot about it. Or way early on the other day, which is sometimes funny for coworkers
    • Causes health problems (according to several studies).
    • Cows hate it. Not the cows too!

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    knitdan wrote: »
    • Fewer car accidents on poorly lit roads (again, in theory). This is why God invented headlights

To be fair, fatal car accidents at night occur at four times the daylight rate, headlights aren't a panacea to that

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Headlights are actually kind of garbage for seeing in pitch black areas because they don't reach far enough fast enough.

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    I recall when I first learned about DST

I was just a boy, no taller than a sapling tree

I turned on Pokemon Gold, and it asked me for the time. So I provided it. It was about 2:15 PM. I waited until the minute changed so I could be as accurate as possible.

Then it asked another question. I paused. The world seemed to stop, as if it had just drawn a sharp intake of breath.

"What," I whispered, "is Daylight Savings Time?"

• Options
    I recall when I first learned about DST

I was just a boy, no taller than a sapling tree

I turned on Pokemon Gold, and it asked me for the time. So I provided it. It was about 2:15 PM. I waited until the minute changed so I could be as accurate as possible.

Then it asked another question. I paused. The world seemed to stop, as if it had just drawn a sharp intake of breath.

"What," I whispered, "is Daylight Savings Time?"

A miserable pile of secrets

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Larlar
    Headlights are actually kind of garbage for seeing in pitch black areas because they don't reach far enough fast enough.

Is the speed of light not fast enough for you?

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Larlar
    So far these threads have helped me learn all the things I disagree with Josh about.

so that's helpful.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    So far these threads have helped me learn all the things I disagree with Josh about.

so that's helpful.

Fortunately they mostly seem to be largely inconsequential bullshit things

• Options
    Kadith wrote: »

Is the speed of light not fast enough for you?

I do not react at the speed of light. Driving on a winding road in pure darkness aside from some jackass behind me with his brights on blinding me is a harrowing experience.

• Options
    Larlar

so that's helpful.

YET ANOTHER THING YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT!!!!!

• Options

so that's helpful.

We can still be friends, tynic

Can't we?

bi7ZHRpl.jpg

• Options

so that's helpful.

Didn't realize how strong of a proponent of Larlar Standard Time you were, Tynic.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Larlar
    I dunno, Josh

we're probably gonna have to sit down over some vegemite toast and hash things out.

• Options
    I've never tried vegemite

• Options
    Larlar
    Well heads up this could be a make or break taste testing.