As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[CoH/CoV] Chat: Big patch! Spring Fling event! ITT we plan Accualt's wedding.

• Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Reminder..Hess in 30 minutes..7cst

Gear Girl on
  • LepLep Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    They said the entire dev team minus Jack is coming over.

Lep on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Night Devil is parked in front of Hess.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • ProfessorPolycarpProfessorPolycarp Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Gear Girl wrote: »
    Positron wishes he could be Doc Q.
    Yeah, that TF just needs to be burned.

If I was going to do a quick fix on Posi, I'd have them just rip all the Vahz/Vahz missions out and make it a 2 faction TF (along with fluff text changes). Maybe retexture the substation mission, even some of the stuff from Faultline would be better than tech map.

ProfessorPolycarp on
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Lep wrote: »
    They said the entire dev team minus Jack is coming over.
    ...well, Marvel deserves him, don't they?
    Keeping Cap dead is hard. :b

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    My first thought at NCSoft buying CoX was a "holy shit!", but since it sounds like they're bringing over almost everyone that's still involved with it, I'm willing to see where this goes. Statesman hasn't had much directly to do with it for a while now.

My second thought is that, whenever this takes effect, Cryptic will be entirely without any live products or revenue for at least a year and a half.

Scooter on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well, it's pretty obvious that MUO and CoH weren't going to coexist really well together. They don't need an active product or revenue now that I am sure they just got a fat check with CoH. They are banking on the fact that MUO is going to be more popular to the general populous (because of the name Marvel) and are willing put their money where their mouth is.

NCSoft saw an opportunity to buy a competing franchise that they already work closely with, and grow it as a game. This can be done, EVE was not nearly as popular as it is now even a year ago. Older games can bring in new players.

I would expect a first major step to be an upgrade to the CoH graphics engine, to be inline with the competing Marvel and DC products (as more video and screens of those come together).

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • ColdbrandColdbrand Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Well, it's pretty obvious that MUO and CoH weren't going to coexist really well together. They don't need an active product or revenue now that I am sure they just got a fat check with CoH. They are banking on the fact that MUO is going to be more popular to the general populous (because of the name Marvel) and are willing put their money where their mouth is.

NCSoft saw an opportunity to buy a competing franchise that they already work closely with, and grow it as a game. This can be done, EVE was not nearly as popular as it is now even a year ago. Older games can bring in new players.

I would expect a first major step to be an upgrade to the CoH graphics engine, to be inline with the competing Marvel and DC products (as more video and screens of those come together).

Could you link to said screens and videos?

Coldbrand on
    edited November 2007
    Coldbrand wrote: »

I don't know of any, I was assuming there were some, somewhere, but I could be wrong. I know there isn't much though.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

I don't know of any, I was assuming there were some, somewhere, but I could be wrong. I know there isn't much though.
    Only one teaser trailer, released last year.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2007
    So is there any explanation how the Hell that's going to work? Will there be eighty other people playing Daredevil aside from me?

Coldbrand on
    edited November 2007
    So is there any explanation how the Hell that's going to work? Will there be eighty other people playing Daredevil aside from me?

I would imagine, much like CoH, you won't be able to play story characters. The game will be based on the "you are a new hero, trying to join the (insert XMen/Justice League here), you must prove yourself to (insert Wolverine/Batman here)!" kind of concept.

GnomeTank on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It's probably a lack of imagination on my part, but I don't see it being all that different from CoX was in the early beta (where origin appearently altered the way your character developed/powers). The other main alteration being the Marvel license. IE, instead of listening to the police radio tell you to go beat up Nemesis, mutants can receive psychic mission prompts from Professor X. Natural origin heros could get there missions from SHIELD etc... Toss in a few missions where well known characters show up as NPCs and a graphics upgrade to the engine...

I only hope they keep the costume designer, because I don't think it's an overstatement to say that it made CoX. Really, the game wouldn't be nearly as fun if everyone was running around with hair styles 1-6 on face 1-7.

Of course, I would love to be proven wrong and have the game be completely unique from anything that's been released before but I'll not hold my breath on that one.

Beaten by Gnometank... /em Grief
    Oh well, at least I know that Justice League and Batman are not marvel characters, and thus won't be appearing (At least, until some player decides to make them and gets promptly banned)

see317 on
    edited November 2007
    see317 wrote: »

Beaten by Gnometank... /em Grief
    Oh well, at least I know that Justice League and Batman are not marvel characters, and thus won't be appearing (At least, until some player decides to make them and gets promptly banned)

Well, I listed Justice League and Batman to point out that DCO will be exactly the same, basically. Or very close to the same.

GnomeTank on
    edited November 2007
    Hahaha, a blind hero just starting, that'd be entertaining.

Coldbrand on
  • Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So just to be clear..

Soon debt will be gone forever, no more exp debt on penalties? or just a wipe of the current debt you had? And I heard more hairstyles? + dual blades

this is probaly going to get me playing again. it's too hard to resist. though I would think it'd be cool if they merged some of the servers with virtue and freedom, so that it might be easier to find pugs and stuff.

Asamof the Horrible on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    They are wiping current debt.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    edited November 2007
    Virtue is already one of the most crowded servers. It's yellow just on normal nights. Adding a few hundred/thousand more players online every night could be a pain.

Scooter on
  • Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I used to play on freedom (which used to be yellow often), and I had trouble finding groups a whole bunch. maybe my playing hours were just off or something

Asamof the Horrible on
    edited November 2007
    Well, as a PAer, I'm on teams every night, so a dozen people on is all I need. :P

Scooter on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I used to play on freedom (which used to be yellow often), and I had trouble finding groups a whole bunch. maybe my playing hours were just off or something

Since Freedom is the most popular server in the game, yeah.

Also:

Woah.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
    edited November 2007
    I smell a paid expansion.

Or are Cryptic just that efficient? If the past few issues are what 1/3rd a team is giving us...

Scooter on
  • Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I love CoH, but I'll love Marvel more if it turns out to be what CoH was originally planned to be, with open power choices and stuff. That said, CoH will only get better from here.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Scooter wrote: »

Seems likely. But would that neccesarily be a bad thing? As it is CoX is pretty much off the shelves everywhere I go, which means it's not getting any new subscribers. Put a paid expansion out on the shelves and maybe more people pick it up.

see317 on
    edited November 2007
    If it's like CoV, great. If it ends up as a replacement for free issues, then suck.

Scooter on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hey, Uh, can I get a free trial to reactivate my account or something?
    I'm suffering from WoW burn out :/

Rizzi on
    edited November 2007
    PM me your email.

Scooter on
  • HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Scooter wrote: »

Or are Cryptic just that efficient? If the past few issues are what 1/3rd a team is giving us...

Yes, I'm sure a paid expansion in some form is in the works. I agree with see317 though -- that's not a bad thing overall. I mean, I don't enjoy spending more money, but if it's good stuff and helps the game then I have no problem with it.

And in addition, yes, I think Cryptic has been a very efficient developer. Erring on the side of being too spartan, unfortunately... but the subscriber numbers have been OK so being stingy worked out for them. Since CoV, what they've done in issues has been pretty high-quality, but very limited in scope. IE: doable by a small team. And they're supporting a base of, what, still 130k subscribers? I bet Cryptic looks good on a balance sheet.

Of course, that's purely from a business perspective. Any of us could easily write out a list of things Cryptic could have done to make existing players happier and add more new players. Hopefully at NCSoft they are making those lists now.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If they produce a CoV-level paid expansion I'll pay for it gladly. I'd kill for a sequel though.

Glal on
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    With double or triple the team, they could start working on power customization without slowing down other progress? >>

INeedNoSalt on
  • MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Sara Moore Signups

Character Name/Level/Archetype/What can you bring to this organization?

Gear Girl/50/Blaster/Ambiguous Gender
    Geocyde/40/Tanker/punchypunch, flameyflame
    Sonna/41/Controller/Confuse and Healzors
    Glaciater/50/Blaster/Level 50 mentor for above two slackers
    Class Action/47/Scrapper/MA-Regen, the quality choice
    Mordrack/50/Controller/That sweet, sweet Speed Boost.
    My main needs money.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Mysst wrote: »
    I get off work at 6 on saturday, CST.
    Sara Moore Signups

Gear Girl/50/Blaster/Ambiguous Gender
    Geocyde/40/Tanker/punchypunch, flameyflame
    Sonna/41/Controller/Confuse and Healzors
    Glaciater/50/Blaster/Level 50 mentor for above two slackers
    Class Action/47/Scrapper/MA-Regen, the quality choice

How fast can you be home?

I should be home by 6:15, unless I get a retarded call, but I try to guard against that.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    dudes..plan things that villains can do! make me happy!!!!!!

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Wait for i11. Then bitch at them again after those new dual blades brutes are abandoned two weeks later.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hrm. I may do the Sara Moore TF. I'll check back with you guys.

(On DM, of course. Though Mister Generic just got new enhancements and he might actually be more useful...)

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
    edited November 2007
    Sara Moore Signups

1. Gear Girl/50/Blaster/Ambiguous Gender
    2. Geocyde/40/Tanker/punchypunch, flameyflame
    3. Sonna/41/Controller/Confuse and Healzors
    4. Glaciater/50/Blaster/Level 50 mentor for above two slackers
    5. Class Action/47/Scrapper/MA-Regen, the quality choice
    6. Mordrack/50/Controller/That sweet, sweet Speed Boost.
    7. Blau Maschine/40/Scrapper/You know you love shockwave

Blau should be 40 by TF start (if not I can always pop over my 41 DM/DA scrapper or my 43 Ice/Rad troller).
    If nobody wants to grab the last slot with a level 50 I'll help you guys get it started.

ProfessorPolycarp on
    edited November 2007
    BEAST!: I'd happily do a LRSF (new badge practice!). We actually had a run of the 15-20 villain TF last weekend as well.

edit: hahah, nice Cyber. If we actually got an all PA team together we might be able to convince Scoot to come. PUG LRSFs have apparently traumatized him.

ProfessorPolycarp on
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Thinking about this merger, I really wish I lived in California because this seems like a very good opportunity to break into the game industry. NCSoft has a Jr. SW Engineer position listed for the new studio that I actually meet the qualifications for.

t Beast: I've been wanting to do the Recluse SF for a long while, but you're right that the folks around here pretty much never play villains.

EDIT: Woah, weird timing.

CyberJackal on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    They said we'd still be getting the 3-4 Issues each year but hinted at a boxed expansion as well. I'm all for a boxed expansion. Hell I've sent /bug suggestions saying I'd spend $20 for a map pack that adds more variety to warehouses and offices. I'm really rather excited about what is going to happen with this, all of the new content we'll be seeing should be huge.
    I'd love to see full on power customization, but I'm not sweating it that hard.
    I REALLY want more texture and layout variety in the most common missions.
    And I'd love to see an option for all PvP zones to have a server wide instance. Enter that one and compete against players from every single server, it would be a great way to bolster PvP.

Oh, and as for the Marvel MMO this thread contains almost all known information about it. I'm really rather excited for it, I imagine it will play somewhat like Hellgate: London. Really fast paced with lots of enemies. If it does, oh lord, I'll be hooked like I've never been hooked before.
    Sara Moore Signups

1. Gear Girl/50/Blaster/Ambiguous Gender
    2. Glaciater/50/Blaster/Level 50 mentor for above two slackers
    3. Class Action/47/Scrapper/MA-Regen, the quality choice
    4. Mordrack/50/Controller/That sweet, sweet Speed Boost.
    5. Blau Maschine/40/Scrapper/You know you love shockwave

I had to pull Sonna and I from the list, turns out we have a wedding to go to that day. :(

Accualt on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Thinking about this merger, I really wish I lived in California because this seems like a very good opportunity to break into the game industry. NCSoft has a Jr. SW Engineer position listed for the new studio that I actually meet the qualifications for.

If you don't apply for that position I will gut you. You apply, you get hired, you move, you buff Defenders. Shit, I was tempted to apply for secretary.

Castle: "Morning Accualt, any messages."
    Accualt: "Yes sir...but you aren't getting them until you buff Defenders."

I would also chastise whoever's idea it was to not include Hide as a Stalker inherent because that is just mean.

LRSF? I'm game. Let us do this thing...Friday night?

Accualt on
This discussion has been closed.