As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Here a Kid, There a Kid, Everywhere there's a [Kids] Thread

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Gave my son his first Indian food yesterday at lunch. 3 poops in the afternoon and 2 more in the morning, I didn't know he could have that much poop in him. The first one burst everything, but luckily I was on a movie date with my wife so grandma had to clean it up. :biggrin:

But he really liked it, he's currently very much into spicy stuff. The Papadum they give you in the beginning, which isn't really bread, but more roasted spices held together by a bit of crunchy dough? He ate like one full disc before I stopped him.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    i have turned into "that" parent. The one I wasn't going to be. The one that shares ALL the photos on the facebook.

I do not care. She is so amazing and beautiful that I can't help myself. I thought I understood the changes and the love and the "life will never be the same".

nope. I never understood it. you probably never really can. they're cliche for a reason.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    i have turned into "that" parent. The one I wasn't going to be. The one that shares ALL the photos on the facebook.

I do not care. She is so amazing and beautiful that I can't help myself. I thought I understood the changes and the love and the "life will never be the same".

nope. I never understood it. you probably never really can. they're cliche for a reason.

Right on. I'm unrepentant sharing photos and videos, as I have the cutest kid in the universe. Haters gonna hate.

I mean look at this kid.
    6d2w7b7ynigc.jpg

Sidenote: Journal from this week told us that apparently he pushes in the chair for all the girls after they get in (and only the girls). We're in big trouble.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    our best friends 4 month old is fascinated by Ellie. We went to their place for dinner on Sat night and every time he saw her, his eyes lit up nd he tried to jump from his mum's rms to get to Ellie.

We got them to fistbump. He then tried to hold Ellie's hand, but she pulled back in horror. She's still in the "cooties" phase at 3 weeks old. lol

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Well, I last posted here about the enthusiasm we had with our positive pregnancy test, but things did not go well. Had a miscarriage and then found out that my wife's uterus has an congenital abnormality known as a 'bicornicate' shape. Essentially, rather than having a single triangular shape space she has two separate sections in a heart-shaped pattern than is separated by a midline septum. This puts her at a much higher risk of spontaneous abortion and high risk pregnancies.

We've got an appointment with some reproductive guys to see how this all shakes out, but it's looking like we may end up not being able to have kids together. Specifically, I'm not for trying repeatedly if a term birth puts my wife at such a health risk for late term spontaneous abortion / hemorrhage risk.

We're still unpacking our feelings about all of this and where to go from here.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    This is inadequate but I'm very sorry to hear that, I hope you guys can figure something out that makes you both happy.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Anyone with older kids have issues with a parent feeling upset or left out? My wife and son are at a point where he just seems to argue with her more than me and she feels like she can't really have a conversation with him anymore. A big part of it is that she hates Minecraft and doesn't play the games he plays but I do see where she's coming from too. I try not to be fun dad all the time but it's hard...I can't expect him to change his interests for her either.

Any tips?

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Who's been doing most of the discipline?

With our toddler we found that having me step in and handle the discipline during the weekends and when I'm home helped. It made him more responsive to me and he doesn't see his mother as the only one who makes him stop dragging the cats around all the time.

• Options
    I need to unpack some thinking. I'll spoiler so nobody needs to read the thoughts of a tired new mom if they don't want to.
    It's 1230am. I'm on the couch, quiet music in the background, dim lights setting the mood, and my almost a month (in about 13 hours or so) old daughter is asleep on my chest. I'm looking down at her, with her head turned ever so slightly to the side, Hey face tilted upwards, and her hands nestled up under her chin, and I just am overwhelmed. Not with exhaustion, although that is cropping up. Not with love, although they does still happen. Often. But with confusion. This child is part of me. She nestles herself up against my chest, burying her face on my cleavage and covering me with drool, and rests hey little fists against my collar bone. She breathes so softly and her legs twitch. But something in how she is resting fills me with confusion.

In this moment, these moments, she loves me completely. Totally. Without question or thought or reservation. She listens to my heartbeat and she smiles (or farts). And she loves me. And she will love me. As she gets older she Nadu not fit on my chest as easily, she will not curl up and hear my heartbeat, but she will smile when she sees me. And she will still hug me. She will still come to for comfort. There is no reproach from her. And when I make a mistake like feeding when I should be changing, or vice versa, she will still settle in my arms. She loves me.

And I have no idea how to handle it. This love that is unending. This Trust and reliance on me, will I ever get used to it? How did I end up with her? I don't know how to be loved like this. It's frightening. It's nerve wracking. It's wonderful.

How do I stop crying?

• Options

With our toddler we found that having me step in and handle the discipline during the weekends and when I'm home helped. It made him more responsive to me and he doesn't see his mother as the only one who makes him stop dragging the cats around all the time.

Truthfully, there isn't a lot of discipline to be done. He's 11 and we don't have a ton of issues that require it. Occasionally he'll be rude or snap back at one of us (like a pre-teen might do) and he gets grounded from technology for a day or so, but when we do that it's usually split between us who ends up punishing.

Last night is a good example though - he wants to grow his hair out. So right now, his hair is in that awkward stage of too long for short hairdos, too short for long ones - and looks pretty messy most of the time. The wife wanted to look into options with him for what they can do while it grows out and he reacted poorly - upset that she wanted to change how he looks, upset that he can't just leave it how he feels the best, and just overall was super difficult.

I was able to explain it's just to make him look more presentable for stuff like school concerts and used the comparison of the "changes" they discuss in health class, that his hair is sort of in the same phase, not a kid, not an adult, and he calmed right down and was laughing about it. But in the meantime it pissed off the wife that he reacted so differently to us - it's like he's more willing to sit and listen when I explain stuff, and certainly wants to do more with me than her during free time.

I tried to convince her she really needs to spend more time in his interests - that if we had a daughter that went through boy band mania or something similar that the roles would be reversed entirely - but it still feels like it'll be an issue for awhile.

• Options
    Eh, it's tough throughout the middle/teenage years as interests get pretty far apart. I would also work on him on helping him understand WHY his Mom cares so much to be a little more sensitive on his side too.

Oh, and apparently we're having a baby girl in July. I am so screwed. I will be wrapped around her finger in like 3 days.

• Options
    schuss wrote: »
    Eh, it's tough throughout the middle/teenage years as interests get pretty far apart. I would also work on him on helping him understand WHY his Mom cares so much to be a little more sensitive on his side too.

Oh, and apparently we're having a baby girl in July. I am so screwed. I will be wrapped around her finger in like 3 days.

if you're anything like hubby, it won't take eve that long. Congrats!

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

Truthfully, there isn't a lot of discipline to be done. He's 11 and we don't have a ton of issues that require it. Occasionally he'll be rude or snap back at one of us (like a pre-teen might do) and he gets grounded from technology for a day or so, but when we do that it's usually split between
    us who ends up punishing.

Last night is a good example though - he wants to grow his hair out. So right now, his hair is in that awkward stage of too long for short hairdos, too short for long ones - and looks pretty messy most of the time. The wife wanted to look into options with him for what they can do while it grows out and he reacted poorly - upset that she wanted to change how he looks, upset that he can't just leave it how he feels the best, and just overall was super difficult.

I was able to explain it's just to make him look more presentable for stuff like school concerts and used the comparison of the "changes" they discuss in health class, that his hair is sort of in the same phase, not a kid, not an adult, and he calmed right down and was laughing about it. But in the meantime it pissed off the wife that he reacted so differently to us - it's like he's more willing to sit and listen when I explain stuff, and certainly wants to do more with me than her during free time.

I tried to convince her she really needs to spend more time in his interests - that if we had a daughter that went through boy band mania or something similar that the roles would be reversed entirely - but it still feels like it'll be an issue for awhile.

How did she approach it? It sounds like she decided it needed to happen and kind of brought him in afterwards. You get to coast because you are doing the ground work here in explaining the logic and treating him as if he had a bit more autonomy. This is the same problem my spouse has where she just kind of assumes she can still dictate what is going to happen rather than working through the options.

His brain is starting to transition out of kid brain and into a more adult one. Consequently he is more able to reason and understand than before, including understanding how few options he sometimes has. Even the illusion of power and control can be critical, and that includes the illusion that he doesn't have any. Taking him along for the ride when reasoning through even sometimes obvious stuff can be helpful. Of course this goes along with having to accept some of the decision he makes that, while not dangerous or harmful, aren't what you or your wife would like. I know you guys are starting to do that already from what you have posted, so it shouldn't be a terrible transition.

Other than that yeah bonding over something would be really helpful. Sadly that is probably going to mean more her trying to find something enjoyable in what he likes at first but there is no telling where it will go. It helps alleviate some of that adolescent angst to know your parents do show some understanding as to why you act the way you do.

• Options
    I tried to convince her the solution was clearly her own 2DS and Pokemon Yellow but I failed on that front.

And yes, I think it's because I can slow down and explain things to him better. I think (much to her chagrin) that he is far too much like me in how he processes things. It makes me somewhat better at understanding why he is reacting poorly (like last night, I realized he doesn't mind his hair looking better, he didn't want other kids thinking he was "doing his hair").

I tried to give comparisons - like the boy band comparison - or how my mother watched WWF with me every single Monday, even taking me to a live event. It seemed like she feels she's already so busy that she can't squeeze in something like Pokemon or the Clash Royale game I've been playing with him. It's too bad - I think it would go a long way. It's hard though - I get that currently our lives feel hectic.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Leah has inherited her father's car dancing skills:

https://youtu.be/EiT-S7S2hQY

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    HA! I love it when the binkie comes out for some serious dancing.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Does anyone want a blond-haired, blue-eyed 11 month old

Edit: I posted too soon.

WHO NEVER SLEEPS

Also I really, really wish he took a pacifier, I am soooo touched out. He nursed almost constantly until 10 pm last night. Then he was up every 20 minutes until 3 am. I didn't get to work until 10 am! Of course Anya woke up several times, too, and I eventually managed to snag a few hours of broken sleep in between these two kids who just wanted to TOOOOUUCCCCCCCHHHH MOMMMYY. My skin is crawling.

Janson on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    ffn3e6r7nq07.jpg

Someone was not impressed with Spirited Away last night. :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    every hour from 11pm-4am she was up. Sh would take about mls of formula and then whinge about being awake. and then go back to sleep.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    We should really change this to the no sleep thread. James is getting his last molars in and he's super cranky and sleeping like crap.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    No sleep club!

Since switching to a bed Freddie has started playing a really fun game at bedtime where he'll get snuggled up in bed, wait for you to shut the door then run and open it and shout at you. Then when you come back he runs back to bed, climbs in and pretends to be asleep with full on fake snoring

His best so far is 23 times

Kids are great!

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    No sleep club!

Since switching to a bed Freddie has started playing a really fun game at bedtime where he'll get snuggled up in bed, wait for you to shut the door then run and open it and shout at you. Then when you come back he runs back to bed, climbs in and pretends to be asleep with full on fake snoring

Kids are great!

After the first time, I'd be like "f it" and let him yell. Even though he's only 18 months and can't talk yet, ours likes to yell at bedtime to try to get more snuggles. Luckily it's easy to hear if he's serious or just whining.

• Options
    Pouring one out for my sleepless homies, may you escape the dark prison soon and be soothed by the king of dreams.

Guys yesterday my nearly 3 year old pooped in the potty for the first time, and of her own accord. I am so so close to never changing my kids' diapers again, I don't even know how to deal.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    Does anyone want a blond-haired, blue-eyed 11 month old

Yeah sure let me check with my wife

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    We had a torrid night a couple nights back, where he was just gassy and uncomfortable all night (baby gets really bad wind), but then he followed that up with a night where he slept for 6 hours, fed on one side only, then slept for another 4 hours. Guess he needed to catch up.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Peen wrote: »
    Pouring one out for my sleepless homies, may you escape the dark prison soon and be soothed by the king of dreams.

Guys yesterday my nearly 3 year old pooped in the potty for the first time, and of her own accord. I am so so close to never changing my kids' diapers again, I don't even know how to deal.

You know what the best part of potty training was for us? You'd think the lack of poop. You'd think the lack of getting sprayed during a change. For me, the best part was that (unless your child has some specific dietary needs) we no longer had to plan for every outing. Bottles are gone, diapers are gone, wipes are gone, therefore the diaper bag is gone along with the need to plan and pack for just a trip to the grocery store. It was crazy how liberating that felt at the time.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Next big step for us was once our kids got old enough to be past the random-sleeping phase, past the need-a-nap-in-the-afternoon phase, and were able to be awake and functioning all through normal daytime hours. All of a sudden we can go and do things together that take all day, rather than having to split the day in two to give an opportunity for a nap. We'd made that happen in a pinch by planning things so we'd be driving for long enough to allow for a nap, but not having to worry about it at all is a big change.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Other signs of progress: school photos. We get the fridge magnet version every year, and it's neat to see the changes, and from time to time get an idea about which is the kids' favorite smart shirt..
    VocoFbt.jpg

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    After the first time, I'd be like "f it" and let him yell. Even though he's only 18 months and can't talk yet, ours likes to yell at bedtime to try to get more snuggles. Luckily it's easy to hear if he's serious or just whining.

That works if your child doesn't regularly cry himself sick. Then you have to deal with changing him, scrubbing the gate down, cleaning the carpet, calming him down and then starting again.

Turns out what works is just standing at the door and yelling at him to go to bed. When his only interaction with you is shouting he gets bored pretty quickly.

This, of course, is after we weaned him off us lying on the floor next to him whilst he dropped off to sleep. That got old super quick

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    My wife is over the moon about not having to use her largest purses anymore.

• Options
    Peen wrote: »

AWESOME!!!

I can't wait for that day.

I'm thinking of giving Niko a bottle before bed tonight, to see if that helps.

@djmitchella - I love seeing that progression! How neat!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    No sleep club!

Kids are great!

kids-and-duct-tape_5-jpg.jpg

• Options

See, I post a ton on facebook, as any of my friends know, but for a different reason.

I'm so dang sleep deprived that it's the best way for me to retain memories; my most used app on my phone is timehop. I truly don't have many memories of Anya's childhood thus far.

That, and it's for the benefit of my family in the UK.

My kids are often not beautiful. Niko was born looking as if he'd been in a few rounds with a boxer. He then had baby acne for ages, and he was a snotty, drooly mess all winter.

But he is *my* kid.

I never 'fell in love' with my kids, either. Though they're pretty cool kids a lot of the time.

Niko has 5-6 words now!

Bye bye - this actually sounds like bye bye
    Mama
    Ball - he LOVES his balls. All balls. Big balls, small balls, knobbly balls. He says 'bah' for ball.
    Up - he lifts up his arms and asks to be held. He kind of pops the 'p' in up, so it comes out as an almost silent 'puh' 'puh'
    Dada - maybe? I don't think he has said this consistently.
    Grandpa - sounds like 'uh-pah'

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular

See, I post a ton on facebook, as any of my friends know, but for a different reason.

I'm so dang sleep deprived that it's the best way for me to retain memories; my most used app on my phone is timehop. I truly don't have many memories of Anya's childhood thus far.

That, and it's for the benefit of my family in the UK.

My kids are often not beautiful. Niko was born looking as if he'd been in a few rounds with a boxer. He then had baby acne for ages, and he was a snotty, drooly mess all winter.

But he is *my* kid.

I never 'fell in love' with my kids, either. Though they're pretty cool kids a lot of the time.

Niko has 5-6 words now!

Bye bye - this actually sounds like bye bye
    Mama
    Ball - he LOVES his balls. All balls. Big balls, small balls, knobbly balls. He says 'bah' for ball.
    Up - he lifts up his arms and asks to be held. He kind of pops the 'p' in up, so it comes out as an almost silent 'puh' 'puh'
    Dada - maybe? I don't think he has said this consistently.
    Grandpa - sounds like 'uh-pah'

Since my son is almost two he has more words and even some word groups ("mama again", "banana Karl" etc) but his sound for up is the same as Nicos. Which is funny because the German word for up is something completely different, I don't know how that works.

Also his first word was "Papa" (Dada) and he still says it in a whispering tone. Every other word he says is loud but Papa is always very quiet, it's weird. Probably difficulties with the p sound.

• Options

That works if your child doesn't regularly cry himself sick. Then you have to deal with changing him, scrubbing the gate down, cleaning the carpet, calming him down and then starting again.

Turns out what works is just standing at the door and yelling at him to go to bed. When his only interaction with you is shouting he gets bored pretty quickly.

This, of course, is after we weaned him off us lying on the floor next to him whilst he dropped off to sleep. That got old super quick

Ugh, that sucks. Thankfully ours is GENERALLY pretty good at going to sleep and understands why he needs it. Unless he's overtired, in which case he whines all the way until he gets his go-to-bed milk, at which point he basically passes out.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Booo pumping.
    The room my work has set up is pretty far away, so I generally just co-op a meeting room.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Ball - he LOVES his balls. All balls. Big balls, small balls, knobbly balls.

@Moriveth you ARE the father.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I hate to sound like I'm bragging, but at 3 1/2 months old, Mini- Muzz now (almost) sleeps through the night. She goes to bed around 7, wakes up around 2 for a boob/change, then sleeps until 8. And as an added bonus, due to her babbling, she doesn't automatically start screaming when she wakes.

This isn't going to last is it?

• Options
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    I hate to sound like I'm bragging, but at 3 1/2 months old, Mini- Muzz now (almost) sleeps through the night. She goes to bed around 7, wakes up around 2 for a boob/change, then sleeps until 8. And as an added bonus, due to her babbling, she doesn't automatically start screaming when she wakes.

This isn't going to last is it?

Just wait until teething. That's the gift that keeps on giving.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Teething is the worst.