As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Straightzi is the Settings Whisperer in the [Tabletop Thread]

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    It looks like my regular 5e game is about to fall apart :( My friend that brought me into the group has been frustrated and wants to quit, so he emailed everyone today and told us that he's busy indefinitely and to retire his character. Total bummer.

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    I've actually been playing D&D for the first time with a group my girlfriend found.

Since then we've had the DM drop out on us with her taking up the role, and she's been going way over the top with it in the best way. Apparently, there are like 4 or 5 more quests we didn't manage to stumble into in the town we just went through.

It is loooaaaads of fun and I really wish I'd gotten into it ages ago.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    There's nothing quite like a few hours around a table with friends, throwing spells at bad guys.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    GyFxCFn.jpg

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    My group dissolved about a year and a half ago due to one couple moving away and another party having his depression get the best of him. I miss it sooo much, but I cant really find anyone in my area who plays. I have literally zero hobby friends now and it bums me out to no end.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    So bad news, my real-life gaming group has been on hiatus for so long the GM got burned out on running Star Wars for us so the Age of Rebellion campaign that never materialized is now indefinitely on hold.

Good news is that we're going to be starting a 5e D&D campaign, since the GM already had an established setting for it and has been running a game set in it with another group of friends for a month or two.

So we're going to be playing in the same setting as the other party, and I don't think we're the evil party trying to thwart them?

I showed up late so everyone already had their backstories kind of figured out so I figured mine out to go along with them. We're all some sort of chosen one.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    NeoToma wrote: »
    Is there somewhere where I can read up on all the stuff the dice roller can do

http://orokos.com/roll/?action=dicehelp

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Oh my this roll20 thing is certainly a thing.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Yeah, roll20 is pretty cool. We use it for our maps and dice rolling for our games. Their roll parser is a little more limited than I would like, but it gets the job done.
    Also I've never had to deal with it because I haven't DMed any of our games, but apparently getting the roll20 grid to line up with any existing gridlines on an image you import is a colossal pain in the ass.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Our group tried roll 20 when our DM moved away...it was super easy and really good for players but for him as a GM it seemed super labor intensive and he really struggled. If even I find somebody confident in its use I would definitely be all aboard giving it another crack as a player.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Roll20 has a hidden thing in it called align to grid that lets you highlight a 3*3 area on your image and it auto adjusts the scale to fit the on screen grid

You can do lots of fun stuff with roll20 with a bit of work. GM layer lets you hide trapdoors etc and make notes on things and then if you are a sub there is dynamic lighting that can do some cool atmospheric stuff

• Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    i am trying to learn to DM now! i am learning by listening to adventure zone and getting tips from @As7 and looking at what some other folks have written

but i have decided that first i need to get all my stupid adult responsibilities out of the way so i can focus and not feel guilt when i try

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Oh I finally got to play Funemployed this weekend

that game is pretty dang great

I managed to argue for the wet nurse position by saying that because I cannot lie I can definitely lactate, I have a license in male lactation, I will literally breastfeed ANYTHING, and I forget what the last one was.

Also I got the position for Dictator by arguing that I have a very contagious disease but I also have the cure for it, so

• Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    i just ordered funemployed
    thanks for alerting me to its existence

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    My OCD is sated. Save for one box set that I'm loaning out, my entire collection is here and in numerical order.

HutGeHZl.jpg

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Are those shelves bending under the weight or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Are those shelves bending under the weight or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

Very much bending under the weight. This is why I keep my biggest hardcovers on this particular shelf, because it can bear more load than my cheap-o Wal-mart shelves.

Edit: For the record, these are the parts of my collection my friends hate to move. It's part of why I'm hiring a professional moving company in the future.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I can attest to the fact that RPG books are heavy. Really, really heavy. When I moved, outside of one large box with way too many CCG cards, my small RPG book boxes were by far the heaviest. I've also had cheap shelves not handle the weight well.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    When I went to GenCon in 2003, I made the very stupid mistake of bringing all my 3rd edition core books with me in case I needed them. I almost died of heat exhaustion at times.

When I went in 2014 I brought a laptop with a ton of PDFs on it. :) That's also why I am so sad that the Star Wars RPGs aren't in PDF form, because they are ALL hardback and ALL heavy.

Athenor on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I posted this in another thread, but I've been watching a lot of Person of Interest and it occurred to me today that it would make a really good modern action RPG setting. It's a team of heroes with diverse skills solving a new problem every week. In the show, they work in New York because they're only tapped into the New York feed, so what if the machine has other agents in other cities?

And then I was thinking that a good system to run that would be New World of Darkness (or, as it's called now, Chronicles of Darkness).

And then it hit me that this could be a Demon: the Descent game.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Sign me the fuck up

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Ohhh sounds found

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    is this also the tabletop thread

cuz I've ordered 2 new board games and our collection is bursting at the seams and I wuvs it

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »

cuz I've ordered 2 new board games and our collection is bursting at the seams and I wuvs it

Cool! What games?

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    Vivixenne wrote: »

Cool! What games?

Mafia de Cuba and Coup: Rebellion G54

pretty excited for more quick games like that as warm-ups prior to the big events on game nights

also we are planning a PAX getaway in Western Australia this year so I fully intend to coerce others into multiple games of 2 Rooms and a Boom, since we only got to play that a few times at PAX last year

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I've got a copy of Dead of Winter still in its shrinkwrap because we haven't played games with friends since baby was born, and I'm still kicking myself for missing out on a sale price on Mage Knight that was almost 40% off in January. I saw it sell slowly during the week and thought I could wait until the weekend but the last handful of copies all went in the space of a few hours. Damned fool me.

• Options
    I enjoy Dead of Winter, it's definitely worth playing! You've got a fair amount of downtime in between turns iirc, but not overmuch since it IS a (mostly) co-operative game - maybe that's helpful?

• Options
    I have Mage Knight, but have yet to play it.

• Options
    We'll probably start up gaming evenings again after Easter, but I think the immediate focus will be on continuing our Pandemic Legacy game.

• Options
    oh crap yeah, we're still on August or September

we will need to finish that soooooon

• Options
    I wish it was easier for us to schedule gaming evenings

but with the kids' bedtimes being weird and Rachel and I just being exhausted in the evenings (I typically don't get home till around 7:30 PM, and then after putting kids to bed we have to do chores and such)

we typically wouldn't get to start on a game till around 9-10 PM, which is... pretty difficult for a in-depth game.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited March 2016
    I just found this cover I made years and years ago for an adventure log I'd written for the 4E Eberron mystery game that forumer MrAnthropy and I met in. I wish I had made more of these.

3851488231_ac1ca0f2d7_z.jpg?zz=1

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I just found this cover I made years and years ago for an adventure log I'd written for the 4E Eberron mystery game that forumer MrAnthropy and I met in. I wish I had made more of these.

I really, reaaaaalllly liked the Eberron setting...unfortunately none of my groups ever liked it even a little bit.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Hawkstone wrote: »

I really, reaaaaalllly liked the Eberron setting...unfortunately none of my groups ever liked it even a little bit.

Get cooler friends! Eberron is too great not to play in at least once.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Hawkstone wrote: »

Get cooler friends! Eberron is too great not to play in at least once.

I don't even have gaming friends now...they all moved away sadly. If I find more...it will be an interview question.

• Options
    I love everything about Eberron.. except the engine. And that's not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. :)

So today was a painful day for my wallet, all aimed squarely at Fantasy flight. I managed to stop myself from buying ALL THE THINGS, but I did pick up:

Warhammer 40k: Conquest - What Lurks Below war pack
    Star Wars Force & Destiny - Nexus of Power
    Star Wars X-wing - Ghost expansion pack

Last week two packs dropped for Star Wars LCG and Netrunner.
    This week, I passed on getting the X-wing Punshing One, Inquisitor's TIE, and Mist Hunter - those will be coming soon.
    Next week, Special Modifications for Edge of the Empire comes out.

Damnit, Fantasy Flight! STOP IT!

(I don't have a problem...)

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    We just had two party members try to both use Mage Hand to cooperatively pick the lock of an obviously booby-trapped chest from across the room.

Spoiler Alert: It didn't work.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    That's such a silly idea, I love it

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I need gaming friends that I don't have to lead kicking and screaming into new things. No, I don't want to play Catan. No, I don't want to do more D&D.

Any of you folks in the chicagoland area? I'll make the fanciest campaign just for you. You'd be doing me a favor.

Farangu on
This discussion has been closed.