As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mass Effect - 8 days until you already know what happens from the spoilers you read

• Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Goomba wrote: »
    Well, no, I mean, he's saying he hates shooting, but the only thing he hates more than shooting is the class who can't shoot for shit O_o
    Just shooting is lame. I mean, look:

Blahblah look at me I can shoot stuff blah blah.

Does that look fun? No, it doesn't.

I....what?

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well dual pistols is preciesly what I was talking about.

That kinda sucks, you could do it with blasters in KOTOR

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Well dual pistols is preciesly what I was talking about.

That kinda sucks, you could do it with blasters in KOTOR

This isn't KOTOR. They're going for a more functional approach than the swashbuckling adventure/fantasy of star wars.

Sort of like how Biotic powers are something you learn after horrible experimentation and intensive training, not being in tune with the energy around you and bacteria in your blood stream.

Alucard6986 on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Not as cool as warping the very fabric of the universe, causing your enemies to collapse in on themselves.

Frankly shooting someone seems less likely to accidentally open a warp in spacetime and get yourself killed. I mean, if this was real life or something I'd feel safer blowing someone's head open rather than, say, manipulating the very essence of reality just to do the same thing.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Not as cool as warping the very fabric of the universe, causing your enemies to collapse in on themselves.

Frankly shooting someone seems less likely to accidentally open a warp in spacetime and get yourself killed. I mean, if this was real life or something I'd feel safer blowing someone's head open rather than, say, manipulating the very essence of reality just to do the same thing.

Safer, yes. More entertaining at children's parties, no.

Houn on
  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    But people have been doing it for years. Decades. Centuries.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    But people have been doing it for years. Decades. Centuries.

Exactly! And not once has it caused them to enter an alternate dimension where they are torn apart, where every millisecond is an eternity of pain and torment and their screams echo endlessley through the ages forwards and backwards in time. And you don't have to wave your arms like a LARPer.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    What? No, I never said that. I said Sentinel was the bitch class. Soldier is just under it because shooting is lame. Unless you get better gun skills or something.

Every weapon type has special abilities attached to it too in addition to simply becoming more effective with the weapons.

Assault rifles have Overkill, shotguns have Carnage, and pistols have Marksman. I don't know that they've shown was sniper rifles get. There may be more than the one for each now, but I would be somewhat surprised.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • S0upS0up Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Is there any good guide online of the character creator? Simply reading,

"Soldiers use weapons! And thiefs steal stuff!" Doesn't help much. I have a general idea what each class is, but I need it broken down.

S0up on
    edited November 2007
    Pancake wrote: »
    What? No, I never said that. I said Sentinel was the bitch class. Soldier is just under it because shooting is lame. Unless you get better gun skills or something.

Every weapon type has special abilities attached to it too in addition to simply becoming more effective with the weapons.

Assault rifles have Overkill, shotguns have Carnage, and pistols have Marksman. I don't know that they've shown was sniper rifles get. There may be more than the one for each now, but I would be somewhat surprised.
    But they all look like the same thing; autofire.

And the OP has a general list that needs to be updated, probably. Or maybe not, Pancake loves to update it.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ChildrenChildren Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think I'm gonna go adept and just max out my pistol.

Children on
    360 tag: A Blue Mushroom
    skate, halo 3
    edited November 2007

Pretty sure that's just the assault rifle.

Alucard6986 on
    edited November 2007

And the OP has a general list that needs to be updated, probably. Or maybe not, Pancake loves to update it.

Carnage definitely isn't just autofire. It overcharges the shotgun and fires a powerful burst of energy at a single target. I also somehow doubt that sniper rifles will be autofiring.

And the OP was updated.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited November 2007

Carnage definitely isn't just autofire. It overcharges the shotgun and fires a powerful burst of energy at a single target. I also somehow doubt that sniper rifles will be autofiring.

And the OP was updated.
    Okay, let me rephrase: It uses the gun to the full capacity. As in the heat goes all the way up.

I call it autofire you call it whatever the hell.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2007

And the OP was updated.
    Okay, let me rephrase: It uses the gun to the full capacity. As in the heat goes all the way up.

Except Autofire has a specific meaning: to fire shots in rapid succession while the trigger is held down. You can try to pretend it has another meaning, but you'd be WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

Houn on
  • Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've never seen Goomba post in a thread without being involved in some sort of argument.

Regicid3 on
    edited November 2007
    Regicid3 wrote: »
    I've never seen Goomba post in a thread without being involved in some sort of argument.

Houn on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

And the OP was updated.

That would be true, except the exact opposite is what actually happens.

All of the weapon specials cause the gun to produce less heat in addition to whatever else they do.

Taramoor on
  • Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

It is all part of his rogueish allure.

Edit: It's been a while since I posted something useful, so here for anyone who hasn't read it is the Mass Effect Alien Primer. It's far, far from new but it gives a great overview of what the different races are like for anyone who can't get their hands on the novel.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I found information! I contributed to the thread!

also what sentinels aren't pussies you jerk

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited November 2007
    Is it my fault people insist on being so wrong?

Wait, pussies? No, they're bitches. Like you.

Bitch.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2007

Your information sucked.

Oh look, they changed the name of a couple talents. Oh boy, everyone worship me because I'm so great.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Your information sucked.

Oh look, they changed the name of a couple talents. Oh boy, everyone worship me because I'm so great.

Don't try to take credit for his work.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007

Your information sucked.

you're just jealous you didn't find it first. jealous.

also goomba how is the ground these days

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited November 2007
    I don't know, good, I guess. At least I'm not a bitch.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2007
    I think you have asperger's, though.

Alucard6986 on
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think you have asperger's, though.

no one has aspergers.

Angry on
    edited November 2007
    shit's made up

sup angry

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • King_DoucheKing_Douche Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I wonder if there are going to be any specific benefits for pursuing a specific alignment? I know in KOTOR you had stat bonuses for going entirely light/dark.

Shit, I hope not. My problem with KOTOR was that your class was pretty much determined by what your ethical alignment was. Going to make a Primary Force User? Be a Dark Side. Wanna be Swanky McBeatstick? Make a Light Side douche.

Oh - and an obligatory "Hooray alien boobies"

King_Douche on
    edited November 2007
    That's not obligatory. Not at all. Almost the opposite, even.

And what I've seen so far, your alignment comes into play with how people see you.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It's not really "Alignment", as the meters are cumulative. It's theoretically possible (but unlikely in game terms, I presume) to get high on both Paragon and Ruthless meters on the same character.

Alignment comes into play with how you are viewed and possibly certain events in the game - I've heard tell that one of the endings is affected by how you are on the meters. But they set out to do something different than KOTOR's light/dark alignment.

Tomanta on
  • BoutrosBoutros Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Shit, I hope not. My problem with KOTOR was that your class was pretty much determined by what your ethical alignment was. Going to make a Primary Force User? Be a Dark Side. Wanna be Swanky McBeatstick? Make a Light Side douche.

Nah, light side was better for force users. The light side only items are so much better than the shitty dark side only items that it more than makes up for the minor difference in FP cost for the dark side powers, which can be largely mitigated by charisma anyway.

But I would be surprised if maxing a reputation meter gave a stat bonus, especially since it might be possible to fill both as adding to one doesn't subtract from the other.

Boutros on
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Report from the launch party
    http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=554994

Most interesting parts are these.
    We did get a sneak peek or the main screen on the dev kit and the size of the game is 6.74 GB – well within the contstraints of a dual layer DVD-9. When you see how huge this game is, you’ll see that even future iterations like Mass Effect 2 and 3 with their upgrades will not have a problem with disc space.

They also changed the way the game saves are handled. There is an autosave setting as well as being able to do manual saves. But most importantly, you can go back and forth between characters of your creation and game save points. To illustrate, let’s say you have a light side Jill Shepard and a dark side Jack Shepard. You play a point in the game as the light side character. You want to see how the same point would play out as a dark side character, all you do is change characters and replay the point. This is HUGE over only having the option to just replay the whole game again as “the other side.”

bloodyroarxx on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

They also changed the way the game saves are handled. There is an autosave setting as well as being able to do manual saves. But most importantly, you can go back and forth between characters of your creation and game save points. To illustrate, let’s say you have a light side Jill Shepard and a dark side Jack Shepard. You play a point in the game as the light side character. You want to see how the same point would play out as a dark side character, all you do is change characters and replay the point. This is HUGE over only having the option to just replay the whole game again as “the other side.”

Wow! That's really neat!

Magic Pink on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think that is a sideeffect of the thing being a trilogy. Im sure they have shown at some point that the character creation isnt creating a character but recovering data files, so for the first game no files can be found cause you have no saves, but in ME2 it will load your character from ME1 and you start that game with a premade.

The_Scarab on
  • Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Report from the launch party
    http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=554994

Most interesting parts are these.
    We did get a sneak peek or the main screen on the dev kit and the size of the game is 6.74 GB – well within the contstraints of a dual layer DVD-9. When you see how huge this game is, you’ll see that even future iterations like Mass Effect 2 and 3 with their upgrades will not have a problem with disc space.

all my dicks

this last two weeks is going to take forever.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    That is probably the best gameplay option I ever read concerning an RPG.

Really, really amazing and it will benefit me GREATLY.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • JimJimBinksJimJimBinks Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

I'm debating buying two copies of this game so I can have one to sleep with.

Seriously, that is an AWESOME feature.

JimJimBinks on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2007
    I've always wanted that to be in a game.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Thread title should be "13 days until we exist in parallel dimensions"

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
This discussion has been closed.