As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Daylight Satans Time

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    I don't care which schedule we are on, but we should pick one and never swap.
    darleysam wrote: »
    Pi day isn't until the 31st of April.

Today's American Pi day

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Switching between the two is fine. Don't change a thing!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5q77MQzU2Q

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »

Ahhh dammit, I was just looking for this, but got lost down a youtube rabbit hole.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    We should be on Standard Time all the time. That's why it's called Standard Time.

This is hilarious!

They should observe DST in Iceland!

Not here though.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

This is hilarious!

Not here though.

The hours of daylight during the winter in Iceland are so narrow that DST would be pretty worthless. Here, they're the perfect length for it to actually accomplish something.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    I was at work until 10pm, then had to start the next day at 8am during DST. I got no sleep.

Fuck Daylight Savings.

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

This is hilarious!

Not here though.

The hours of daylight during the winter in Iceland are so narrow that DST would be pretty worthless. Here, they're the perfect length for it to actually accomplish something.

The only thing switching accomplishes is heart attacks and car crashes. I'm good without.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Larlar

This is hilarious!

Not here though.

But DST is used in summer, not winter.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    We should be on Standard Time all the time. That's why it's called Standard Time.
    My birthday is the 10th, so that means that under current legislation, my birthday is always the weekend of, or is just before, DST begins.

I consider that... less than ideal.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Man this DST has been brutal on me. I just can't seem to get out of bed. This is way worse than it usually is.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    I like waking up to darkness and having the sun shine until late in the evening. Get on DST and stick with it!
    Man this DST has been brutal on me. I just can't seem to get out of bed. This is way worse than it usually is.

Same here, and we've not even changed the clocks yet.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    My birthday is the 10th, so that means that under current legislation, my birthday is always the weekend of, or is just before, DST begins.

I consider that... less than ideal.

That's a lost birthday every 24 years!

Quid on
  • Options
    Daylight savings time: still utter donkey doo doo

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Larlar
    Gotta wait another two weeks to get it out of the way boourns

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Nah daylight savings is rad.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I don't care which one people pick, I just hate the switching.

edit: Clearly, my opinion has changed in the last year. Don't care.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Daylight savings is dumb and literally kills people. Abolish it and make suggesting we go back to it a felony offense.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I am the evil which is pro-DST.
    I am the evil which is pro-DST.

Oh so it's your fault huh?!

Yup, this whole "sunrise at 5 am and sunset at 6 pm in the summer and sunrise at 9 am and sunset at 4 pm in the winter" was just bullshit that I would not tolerate.

My views have not changed in a year.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I like waking up to darkness and having the sun shine until late in the evening. Get on DST and stick with it!
    I don't remember my vote.

edit- that is a weird vote past me.
    editedit-
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Whoops, I meant to vote that I like the change.
    That makes more sense. I really don't notice. If I were to pick one over the other, I'd prefer having dark evenings. Easier to sleep and it's annoying when you want to do night stuff and it's still bright.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I worked late last night and early this morning

I don't give a fuck which one we stick with, but switching back and forth is terrible, especially if you have a part time job where you actually have to work weekends

• Options
    My kids were dragging ass this morning, and every year when this happens it makes getting them ready for school a total pain in the anus

The benefits do not outweigh the drawbacks, if morning people hadn't somehow convinced the entire human race that getting up at 6 AM was totally normal and wanting to sleep until 8-9 AM means you're a freak I would probably care less

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Stupid DST making my one day off shorter.

Also now I'm back to going to work in the dark, thanks a fucking bunch.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    dragging myself out of bed an hour early one day a year is infinitely better than dragging myself out of bed in pitch dark for 6 months

Jars on
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Give me all the evening light. Part of my work is windowless. I don't give a shiiiiiiiiit about what the sun is doing or not doing while I'm there. I want my after work sun though. I need to bask, lizard like.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Working a night shift the night we swing back to normal time is like being the shittiest time traveler.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Whatever meager benefits come from changing time do not out way the costs, both money and human life, of keeping this stupid system.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    I like later sunsets, but I really don't care which one we pick. Just stop this damn switching.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    A pox upon daylight savings time. We have lights for when it's dark.

• Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    Well, last night was the time switcheroo and now I'm home from work after a bout of vertigo. Coincidence? I think not!

(unfortunately my family doctor is closed on Sundays so alls I can do is go to a walk-in where I doubt they'll do much more than give me a doctors note. This is my second bout in the last 4 or 5 weeks. Hooray dizzyness!)

• Options
    Jars wrote: »
    dragging myself out of bed an hour early one day a year is infinitely better than dragging myself out of bed in pitch dark for 6 months

You should buy a lamp.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Larlar
    how the fuck do i vote on this thing help

i am staunchly anti-larlar

Beasteh on
  • Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    how the fuck do i vote on this thing help

Your vote has already been counted. No taksie backsies.
    Quid wrote: »
    Jars wrote: »

You should buy a lamp.

I've been living in my new house for 3 months and can already get from my bed to my bathroom and then down the stairs and to the kitchen with the lights out at 4am.

My nose is bleeding and there's pee on the wall, but I make it to the kitchen ever time!

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    hot take:

daylight savings crime

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I wonder how opinions on DST would change depending on the latitude of the person in question.
    Maybe if you're in a place further south, where summer or winter you're looking at 10-12 hours of daylight no matter what, you hate this as an inconvenience that doesn't benefit anything.

But if you're in a place like, say, montreal where without DST for you're either going to be driving to work in the dark or driving home in the dark (or for the winter months - both), you would have passionate beliefs regarding the benefits of DST.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    So let the people who live in those places that benefit from it keep it

Why should the rest of us who live in civilized places that were meant to sustain human beings have to suffer with them

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I wonder how opinions on DST would change depending on the latitude of the person in question.
    Maybe if you're in a place further south, where summer or winter you're looking at 10-12 hours of daylight no matter what, you hate this as an inconvenience that doesn't benefit anything.

But if you're in a place like, say, montreal where without DST for you're either going to be driving to work in the dark or driving home in the dark (or for the winter months - both), you would have passionate beliefs regarding the benefits of DST.

I dunno. Minnesota must not be far enough north for this theory, because I'm tired of the clock changes.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options

Fixing that problem doesn't require shifting clocks. It only requires people to not try and follow poorly made schedules in the first place.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Fixing that problem doesn't require shifting clocks. It only requires people to not try and follow poorly made schedules in the first place.

I mean, days do get shorter than 8 hours if you get far enough north. There isn't a schedule that avoids commuting in the dark eventually.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

I mean, days do get shorter than 8 hours if you get far enough north. There isn't a schedule that avoids commuting in the dark eventually.

Sure. But neither does waking up an hour later.