As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fear [The Walking Thread]]: Also fear SPOILERS, of which there are many in here!

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I kind of assumed that the head-murders involved shoving the knife through the ear canal. Technically, that may not kill you instantly, but I think that "knife into your brain means insta-death" is fair in terms of TV logic.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Even simpler reason: I and 99% of the rest of the audience don't want to see a guy with a knife in his eye running around the room screaming bloody murder like a chicken with its head cut off. Quiet, fast murders only plz.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Even simpler reason: I and 99% of the rest of the audience don't want to see a guy with a knife in his eye running around the room screaming bloody murder like a chicken with its head cut off. Quiet, fast murders only plz.

I'd prefer long agonizing deaths. More visceral and realistic than sticking a knife into a head, which many many many people survive with little issue..depending on location.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »

I'd prefer long agonizing deaths. More visceral and realistic than sticking a knife into a head, which many many many people survive with little issue..depending on location.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW9Q1cm_Tnw

Tonight's Episode:
    Do we blame Carol's aim tonight on Morgan?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    I love Alicia Witt :heartbeat:

• Options
    MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    ho lee shit

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    I wasn't really onboard with this episode until the last 15 minutes or so.

That had a really good payoff.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    It's funny because I totally though Carol was long-conning it. but honestly, Morgan really got to her.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I really hate that they've started showing Fear The Walking Dead after TWD.

I usually don't catch the first round of TWD and watch it when it repeats.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I thought this episode was awful.

Let's spend 45 minutes getting know characters that are going to die at the end of the episode for sure.

Bleh.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I dont think the point was to "get to know them", they were reflections of the characters we did care about, and just because they died doesnt mean it was pointless to flesh them out

Prohass on
  • Options
    This ep:
    The folks they introduced were useful as both reflections of Maggie and Carol - specifically the latter, and how her moral confidence has been shaken - and as our first real look into Neegan's group.

I thought it was pretty great. Great payoff at the end.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    yeah I forget the exact name but they had different words for people who fulfill different tasks within the neegan group, like there are the kind of enforcers/killers, then there would be other functions people would fulfill. Makes sense in a kind of brute pragmatism way and I think it makes the "new big bad" interesting as a force. Theyre not really marauders, they probably see themselves as "saving" humanity by being brutal, hence the saviours title

Prohass on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Hmm I guess it's a little better if I think of them as parallels to the characters we know. The pacing really threw me off.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    Xantomas wrote: »
    I love Alicia Witt :heartbeat:

"Fuckin D girl!"

;)

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I find it a little out of place that Morgan would be getting to anyone at this point.

You lived through some pretty crazy shit Carol, remember when there was people trying to eat you and crew? Yeah. Some people just can't be saved or reasoned with, and that's not wrong, so save yourself.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Well,
    That sure was a brutal kill.

Impaled next to a walker that then literally ate her face. Jesus Carol, just shoot her.

Also the whole burning people alive thing.

Carol's sudden crisis of conscience led to some of the most horrific deaths yet.

RT800 on
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    I heard "The floor is slick"

and immediately said oh fuck.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    What a great ending though.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I'm so scared for these last 3 episodes. I have no clue what to think as a comic reader. It is terrifying and exciting.

edit: 3 episdoes? 2? I forget.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    I thought that was a pretty good episode. It was interesting to get something that was completely isolated but still directly related to the story. I feel like eps like this in the past would have been going back to during the raid and seeing what happened to Maggie and Carol with the end of the episode being their capture (as a parallel to last week), but having it move forward was way better.
    The one thing that bothered me was the leader lady Paula. To me it really felt like she was acting "tough", I wasn't really buying that she was a cold/tough lady from all she's been through. But I don't know if that's just me and something about her mannerisms through me off?

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    I took Paula as
    The alternate version of Carol, and the logical extension of what happens when you successfully justify every kill as "well, gotta be tough." They each had killed a comparable number of people, and here the Alexandrians have arrived to preemptively murder some bad guys.

Maybe Paula was playing tough, and was a little torn up about it? Point is, it doesn't matter, because the people she's killed are just as dead.

Carol can feel as bad about it as she wants, but that doesn't mean she's not on the road to being Paula. And she gets that, and she wants to find a peaceful way, but she just can't. Which is why the ending is so tragic. She doesn't want to be what she's become, but she can't find another way to protect herself and her family.

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Carol
    getting all mind-screwed by Morgan... I can understand that a bit

but I don't get why she'd approach Paula(?)

Like, ok, you're not sure if you want to kill her... but why are you slowly walking forward and making yourself vulnerable!?

It seemed so out of character that I was mentally preparing for a hamfisted character death.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I took Paula as
    The alternate version of Carol, and the logical extension of what happens when you successfully justify every kill as "well, gotta be tough." They each had killed a comparable number of people, and here the Alexandrians have arrived to preemptively murder some bad guys.

Maybe Paula was playing tough, and was a little torn up about it? Point is, it doesn't matter, because the people she's killed are just as dead.

Carol can feel as bad about it as she wants, but that doesn't mean she's not on the road to being Paula. And she gets that, and she wants to find a peaceful way, but she just can't. Which is why the ending is so tragic. She doesn't want to be what she's become, but she can't find another way to protect herself and her family.
    Oh totally, I absolutely understand the character. I'm talking more about the acting specifically. Like rather than her feeling like a character within the world with a past that made her the way she is, it very much felt to me like a person acting out the script on the show...if that makes sense?
    You may be right that it could possibly have been an intentional choice for the show, so as to portray her as acting tough. But it really felt like she was actually supposed to be tough (like Carol is/was) to contrast will Carol now struggling with who she'd become.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    First, in chrome the spoiler tag thing is just completely messing me up.

Second, re carol from this week:
    I felt like everyone was an aspect of her. Paula, 'Chelle, Donny, and Molls. They all had an aspect of her. The toughness, the anger, the pessimism, and the lost future. I also felt like Chelle showed maggie what could have happened to her, if she had gone out to look for Glenn.

This episode was great because it showed them "there but for the grace of god, go I"

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    This episode was great.
    Carol has been one of the strongest characters for a long while, but in recent seasons she's been a kind of unbreakable demon with no weaknesses. It's nice to see her question the way she does things, makes her kind of vulnerable.

I wonder if that panic attack wasn't genuine. Knowing Carol and how she exploits the way people see her, figured it was fake, but as of the end of the episode? Not sure anymore.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I thought that was Carol just letting people assume she is "weak" so they would drop their guard to a degree, similar to how she let her Suzy Homemaker come to the forefront when they arrived at Alexandria.

If that is something that can't be said enough, Melissa McBride is absolutely doing amazing things with performing a character that the writers are allowing to be complex and the show is better off for it. The continuing arch of Carol is a delight.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I think the panic attack was a straight up performance but the rest of it was more her intentionally letting out the old personality she had pretty well snuffed up until then.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    I think the panic attack was a straight up performance but the rest of it was more her intentionally letting out the old personality she had pretty well snuffed up until then.

I think it is a major credit to her performance that nobody is sure.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Just had a chance to catch up. Loved the episode, I thought it was pretty slow going and I wasn't sure how it was going to play out for Carol. The entire time she had me going "She's faking, right? She has to be faking..." right up until the end. Great performance.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Carol's being introspective, finding romance, trying to better herself ... yep, after watching so many seasons of this show I can confidently say she's doomed.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    The one thing that makes me uncertain about the legitimacy of her panic attack is that I'm pretty sure she started when only Maggie was present. So if it was totally fake, either she was trying to fool Maggie too, or she's method acting.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Carol is taking her experience with the Wolf (which I'm sure includes just how his final actions went down) and the world view of Morgan to heart and trying to reconcile it with her own actions of late.
    The panic attack is text book Carol. It was absolutely a play to get their gags taken off so that they could start going to work and so that she could start playing her part of the meek housewife.

But I also think that her trying to reason with the Saviors was always completely genuine. She would have seen them go free (or at worst be taken prisoner) and genuinely meant that the only way the whole lot of them would walk away was if they cut a deal. The Terminians or Wolves didn't get that deal from her, but the Saviors would have.

What others have said about the Saviors being a reflection of her is spot on is well. The Carol that took down the Wolves and Terminians damn near single handedly would have fit right in with a group with their ethos. Carol is trying to both be the protector of her flock and trying to reclaim her conscience. As cliched as it gets in this thread, I think she's our next big character death.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    I can't believe AMC is still doing commercials for The Walking Dead that are nothing but huge spoilers for the last episode. Watching Better Call Saul now and just saw one that gives away absolutely everything that happened yesterday.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    About the Spartacus thing going on (also comic spoilers!)
    this whole deal where every individual Savior is Negan, that's a new addition for the show, right?

It's weird! Is it to fake people out? Like, does any average viewer actually think that random goon was Negan? Does it build tension to think that Negan is dealt with, only for him to show up out of nowhere?

Also, guy on the bike didn't seem to refer to himself as Negan...

Or heck, maybe there are a bunch of dudes called Negan in the Saviors. >.>

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    this whole deal where every individual Savior is Negan, that's a new addition for the show, right?

It's weird! Is it to fake people out? Like, does any average viewer actually think that random goon was Negan? Does it build tension to think that Negan is dealt with, only for him to show up out of nowhere?

Dude has an exceptionally large extended family.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

I think that the response to "Who the dick is Negan?" was "no questions, I am going to shoot you"

So that doesn't matter so much.

• Options

The "We are all Negan" thing was definitely in the comics.

• Options
    Rehab wrote: »
    I can't believe AMC is still doing commercials for The Walking Dead that are nothing but huge spoilers for the last episode. Watching Better Call Saul now and just saw one that gives away absolutely everything that happened yesterday.

They've been doing that since they came back from break. BCS gives no fucks about your pussy DVR habits, bitch.

• Options
    ExileExile Registered User regular
    Dose this group have an aversion to taking prisoners.? Or at least keeping them around long enough to get info from them?
    I mean Morgan and Gabriel had one of the wolves hogtied. Not a threat to anybody, before Carol just strolled by and murdered him. Which caused Morgan to capture the other wolf. And cause all the drama that followed.

And then on this weeks episode, after Carol and Maggie were saved. Rick just makes his derp face and shoots the hostage survivor. Gee maybe it would have been smart to learn more about the group you just killed a bunch of members of. Just kick that hornets nest and call it a day.

Maybe its just because I've been spoiled of the giant shitstorm they just kicked up. But they seem to be acting incredibly short sided.

I'm going to need a new Gun. Also one for the police girl.
    But I already have a gun.
    Get that bitch a cannon. Bitches love cannons.
This discussion has been closed.