As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can I get THE WITNESS (oh can I get a Witness)

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Houk wrote: »
    discrider wrote: »
    forty wrote: »
    Did Day9 really do the challenge in around an hour of attempts? Bastard.

?
    I got this like second or third try?
    At an hour I completed it within the sound-track rather than in the weird silence after the second track?

Is this really incongruous to how everyone else experiences the challenge?

Nope, everyone experiences things in games exactly the same. Nobody else had any problem with what is basically the final challenge in the game.

Anyway, I would say it took me a little over an hour, but I got a suuuper friendly run, and was basically having a heart attack the entire time I was doing the column puzzles (I hadn't gotten that far, didn't know they were even there, and the Mountain King was like 3/4 over). It was super intense and if I hadn't gotten it on that run I'm not sure if I would have had the heart to keep going with it.

See, this is what I mean.

Don't other people get the minute of silence after the Mountain King finishes?

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    I should also note he did it without ever realizing how the maze room works. Naturally, he got some rather easy triangle and pillar puzzles on his winning attempt, which seems to be the biggest factor in most people finishing it.

• Options

?
    At an hour I completed it within the sound-track rather than in the weird silence after the second track?

Nope, everyone experiences things in games exactly the same. Nobody else had any problem with what is basically the final challenge in the game.

Anyway, I would say it took me a little over an hour, but I got a suuuper friendly run, and was basically having a heart attack the entire time I was doing the column puzzles (I hadn't gotten that far, didn't know they were even there, and the Mountain King was like 3/4 over). It was super intense and if I hadn't gotten it on that run I'm not sure if I would have had the heart to keep going with it.

No. It's maybe 5-10 seconds.

• Options
    edited March 2016

?

No. It's maybe 5-10 seconds.

I'm pretty sure I completed the last triangle puzzle and the two column puzzles in my silence time.
    That's why I completed the challenge in like my third try and why I don't understand everyone's trouble with it.

Just timed it.
    I get like 3 and a half minutes extra time after the Mountain King.

discrider on
  • Options
    Now I'm stuck wondering why I got so much time :(

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    That is SUPER weird.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Yeah that is 100% not normal. You should only be getting a few seconds of time before it stops and the puzzles go dark.

• Options
    This doesn't appear to be tied to my game file's completion.

• Options
    Has anyone else here completed Braid? Do you experience the same longer time in the challenge?

This could also be because I reset The Witness with the elevator to get a +1.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Has anyone else here completed Braid? Do you experience the same longer time in the challenge?

This could also be because I reset The Witness with the elevator to get a +1.

I did that too before finishing the challenge.

I think your copy is just haunted.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Challenge took me like a week and I only got it once I stopped caring and learned to restart at the slightest delay (and then got it in like 10 minutes).

Dunno, it's weird. I'm real good at this triangle puzzles now.

• Options
    I timed it like a month ago, and I think you get about 6 and a half minutes to do the challenge. A 10 minute, seemingly glitched version would be a whole hell of a lot easier. What platform are you playing on, discrider?

• Options
    I timed it like a month ago, and I think you get about 6 and a half minutes to do the challenge. A 10 minute, seemingly glitched version would be a whole hell of a lot easier. What platform are you playing on, discrider?

Computer.
    The record keeps playing for all intents and purposes. You can hear the white noise from the end of the record for the entire 3:28, and the record needle stays in the center of the player.

• Options
    That is so fucking weird. I wish my game was broken too! :(

• Options
    I don't think it's broken...
    I just found the timer to the puzzle at the roof of the record cave.
    Does this start empty and then go to 9 9 7 for everyone else?

• Options
    997 should be the end of Mountain King (it starts around 600).

• Options
    edited March 2016
    I'll try and dropbox my savefile tonight but yeah. Mountain king starts around 300 iirc.
    Somehow my timer is out of sync with the music.

Could be the same thing that's making TF2 hard to play.
    In there my taunts are slowed.
    And enemy players are teleported every half second to where they should be.

discrider on
  • Options
    997?

• Options
    997?

9 square tetris, 9 squares opposite colour, 7 pips

• Options
    Looks like 8 square Tetris segments to me. Anyway, that means something?

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Looks like 8 square Tetris segments to me. Anyway, that means something?
    The puzzles count up as the music plays (or in my case as it doesn't) and I uploaded the wrong image :S

discrider on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    That's what those are about?!

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    So here's a link to my most recent savefile: 2016.03.15__time_20.50.55.witness_campaign?dl=0
    And here's a thumbnail I changed for it.

Might work on other people's computers?

Although I still have the same time limit on my pre-reset savefile. So it doesn't seem like this is attached to the particular savefile.

discrider on
  • Options
    So it looks like my multiple cores on my PC have some sort of timer drift.

In any case, running this command "bcdedit /set {default} useplatformclock true" in my Windows 7 cmd prompt fixed it (after a restart).
    So now my challenge music matches the timer.

• Options
    @discrider when looking at our troubles with the challenge

nJ82ER6KYTW2J.jpg

@discrider after trying the challenge with the appropriate time limit

12063115_474629932698626_565199825_n.jpg

• Options
    Nah. I already completed it in the timelimit previously, when I thought something was up.

• Options
    So... what's the opposite of that command so I can get more time? :)

• Options
    Wanted to upload a video of how unperturbed the proper timelimit has made me.
    I now have a black 30 minute video of the challenge music.

• Options
    Completed the challenge a couple of times:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpTFfSr8Skg

• Options
    That video is private, private!

• Options
    Mayday wrote: »
    That video is private, private!
    Well, the little world icon is now next to the video thumbnail thing.
    So I'm guessing that it should be viewable now, although preview didn't really inform me last time.

• Options
    Yeah it works now! Looks like you really have no problem with these, wow! Though the puzzles looked pretty easy in the first one, but it's easy to say when you're not the one solving them on a time limit...

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Mayday wrote: »
    Yeah it works now! Looks like you really have no problem with these, wow! Though the puzzles looked pretty easy in the first one, but it's easy to say when you're not the one solving them on a time limit...

I had 3 or 4 failed attempts followed by two successful on the prior 'tape'. So I didn't come into this cold.

I tend to get stuck on the harder dual path puzzles and triangle puzzles if I get stuck. The columns take time to try and piece together into a whole picture too.

discrider on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    So I been playin' this here game for the last couple weeks (inasmuch as I have any time to play games, which... I don't seem to.)

Tell me other people are taking pages of notes. Because I am.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I had all kinds of scribbles, mostly for puzzles like those in the swamp.

I miss this game. Hopefully he doesn't take 7 years on the next one.

• Options
    I branched out and took down 2 envelopes of notes.

Joking aside, the amount of notes you need to take down would either depend on how well you internalise the game rules and/or how many puzzles you need to map out.
    Like, half my notes are for the shipwreck puzzle where I was trying to map that one out. The rest are all puzzle solutions where it was easier to make a map than try to keep the whole solution in my head.

Though I also have screenshots. Lots of screenshots. Of anything that might be useful later in the island.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I had about... I think four pages of notes, plus maybe a little more for the final challenge.

• Options
    I had lots of screenshots and lots of puzzle drawings. No real word-type notes to speak of. I generally spent forever in 'I don't understand this puzzle rule at all' mode, then would suddenly just have it click pretty fast, so I didn't spend much time having to try and work it out.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Yeah I've been mapping down puzzle solutions and "oh here's the rule for this" stuff for the most part

But I'm playing it on the PS4 so I ain't screenshotting, hope that doesn't bite me in de butt

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    crazy conspiracy theorist scribblings (spoilers for puzzles)
    lzwi6S5.jpg
    that middle page has some on the back, as well. seeing if the powercord color in the village was consistent for puzzle type throughout the island (no .. well, not entirely), the shipwreck puzzle notes (heh)

lfchwLd.jpg