As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX OFFICIAL DVD DISCUSSION!

Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
edited August 2004 in PAX Archive
Our good buddy, Geoff Richardson (the guy who did the Necrowombicon Video), has volunteered to do the official Penny Arcade Exposition video, which will hopefully be available for a DVD release. I'm sure Geoff has more to say, but to start, we're looking for ideas on what to include, what specific events to film (*cough* OMEGATHON *cough*), etc. etc.

Discuss!

-robert

Some guy.
Robert Khoo on

• terrixterrix Registered User regular
    edited June 2004
    Reality TV show about 5 guys/girls living in a hotel room for 3 days, and have to play as many games as possible in that amount of time, all while dealing with relationships, disputes, bathroom privilages, and who gets the floor.

This would of course be a spoof to make fun of Reality TV shows with attractive people who have emotional issues and can't get over their insignificant issues.

At least do an after hours segment :)

I know Gnomedex/Geeks Gone Wild is supposed to be shown on Comedy Central http://www.gnomedex.com/ which is done by Chris Pirillo of LockerGnome and formally techTV.

I think we could out do them.

I think pretty much all the big events should be covered, some small ones and of course the panels.

terrix on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited June 2004
    Hello, First I would like to thank everyone @ PA for letting me do the 2003 event that was up here in Vancouver. If you havnt seen the vid goto my web page.

For Pax 2004 event, I would like to do a bigger and better video production. But in order to do that. I need the creative feedback from people who might be interested in viewing it. Be it people who attend the event or people who couldnt make it to the event.

Unknown User on
  • OknarkOknark Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2004
    I think you should follow me around after hours one night. Who wouldn't want to see that?

Oknark on
    skelesign.jpg
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited June 2004
    Me.

Whippy on
  • GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2004
    Me.

Grath on
    edited June 2004
    ya well you guys don't count.

or you could get some footage of me hardcore dancing. that would be neat.

Oknark on
    skelesign.jpg
  • Red Machine DRed Machine D __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2004
    What would rule is if you could fly down to one of the start points for the West Coast Caravan and join in on that insanity...

Red Machine D on
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited June 2004
    Or at least have SOMEONE videotaping one of the caravans... Hmmmmm

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2004
    I'll be on one of the caravans. I will take pictures along the way.

Grath on
    edited June 2004
    I wanna see Gabe and Tycho wasted, that should definitely be a highlight of the DVD. Or it could be an Easter Egg. Like, you have to go through a series of useless menus only to find a dead-end, but a stumbling Div is in the corner and you have to manipulate the remote until you can select him, and then there is a video of Gabe and Tycho singing drunkenly in the shower or something to that effect.

Unknown User on
  • JiommJiomm Registered User new member
    edited June 2004
    -An interview with Tycho and Gabe
    -At least a glance at their wives
    -Gameplay of some of the special guests stuff
    -Yes some OMEGATHON
    -Some of the special guests
    -Anything else that would capture the mood/spirit of the whole show. Whatever that turns out to be
    -A super special something that Gabe and Tycho do just for the DVD. Tell a secret or something. Tycho could verbally destory someone while Gabe hits them with a piece of wood. Or Gabe could flip a table full of Games Workshop stuff. That'd be funny. Act out the D&D comic strips. Super Special something.

Jiomm on
    "Tell them I don't suck just because I'm level one"
    "I'm awesome"
    edited June 2004
    Evaluation of serious ideas presented thus far:
    1) Deffinitly video of any PA specific panels (in their entirety)
    2) Wives- That seems a little stalkerish
    3) Deffinitly video of some of the finals for the console tournaments
    4) Video of some of the good developer panels
    5) Mood stuff....... eh, random floor shots as a way of transitioning or something wouldn't be bad
    6) Easter eggs would rule.
    7) Drunken interview, might be interesting, doubt it'll happen.

Other thoughts:

As nice as table top games are, they wouldn't work because they take forever to play

Avoid crazy camera angles and fast motion to try and simulate action, its mostly just annoying (I know you probably aren't filiming this yourself, but it might be something that you can influence if they ask what type of visuals you want)

Damn, now I don't feel as bad that I can't make it. I'm leaving Seattle after visiting like a week before. How cruel fate is.

Unknown User on
  • PucSpifoPucSpifo Registered User regular
    edited June 2004
    By the way, who is doing the filming? Are we looking at a one man roving camera, or multiple videographers?

PucSpifo on
    signature.png
    edited June 2004
    PucSpifo wrote:
    By the way, who is doing the filming? Are we looking at a one man roving camera, or multiple videographers?

I'd love to see multiple cameras all day, but it's really up to Geoff.

-robert

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • FallFall Registered User regular
    edited June 2004
    Just focus on offering reasonable time to all things of interest. Most of these event videos tend to either focus on one element too much or one small group of people. As a result, it tends to be more about what the camera person was interested in than the event itself.

Fall on
    edited June 2004
    tourney vids.

i don't know how feasible this would be for halo/splinter cell, but for the fighting games (smash, GGXX, and SC2) it's definitely possible. granted, it probably won't be all that big of a deal for the tabletop/card games, but the fighting game community <3s their tourney vids.

edit: also, i'm pretty sure that the area's ub3r DDR playarz wouldn't mind getting on film.

Unknown User on
    edited June 2004
    It would be super sweet if we could get video of each screen on the Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow Finals and then play all four simultaneously in quarter-screens on the DVD.

-robert

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Johnny SmashJohnny Smash Tucson, AZRegistered User regular
    edited June 2004
    post signer

post signer

Johnny Smash on
    cFhq9lX.jpg
  • TIE FighterTIE Fighter Registered User regular
    edited June 2004
    PC TOURNAMENT VIDS.

Have a spectator or three in each game, capturing the action from various angles. Put it together, and wham. Instant coolness.

Hell, even just get someone to make a demo file (FPS) or replay (RTS) and post it somewhere with plenty of hosting.

TIE Fighter on
    edited June 2004
    I wouldn't mind seeing the entire process, but since that probably takes atleast an hour if not more, how about a few of the highlights involved in a penny arcade strip being put together and being uploaded?

Unknown User on
  • TripMachineTripMachine Registered User regular
    edited June 2004
    I'd get it if it was 10 bucks or less.

TripMachine on
    edited June 2004
    Am I mistaken or did Tycho once say they made a PA cartoon demo but got screwed by the publishers or just found it too complicated to remain emotionally sound? Id sure as hell like to see that if it ever existed. Maybe it could be an easter egg?
    You know Div has to be the narrator of the con tho

Unknown User on
    edited June 2004
    Some of the other ideas posted like the explanation of how the strip was created would be really cool.

In terms of price, I think I'd pay up to about $25 for a single disk, and up to about $40 for a double disk, depending on how much was on it and stuff like that.

Unknown User on
  • ThaiboxerThaiboxer Registered User regular
    edited June 2004
    I think it would be nice to include a healthy dose of Random Hotties. (should any decide to show up)

Thaiboxer on
    Playing WoW "only when you are bored" is like smoking "only when you are drinking".
  • KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited June 2004
    All the big events, or at least most of them, perhaps ends of tournaments, you know. All the people that go there, like, get everybody to get together to see how many went, and gangster signs. I'll represent the Bloods. :P

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
    edited June 2004
    I would love to see Optimus Rhyme. I've previewed their music, and it would definately kick ass on any dvd, randomly inserted. Of course, please follow all the rules that go along with random insertions.

Unknown User on
    edited June 2004
    What I would REALLY like to see is some video of Gabe actually drawing one of the strips. We all see the finished product and some of the sketches, but the process would be pretty cool to see. That is, unless he is like me and takes a long ass time to draw anything.... :)

Unknown User on
  • SoulFurySoulFury Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2004
    An offical DVD would be sweet.

SoulFury on
  • NightingaleNightingale Registered User regular
    edited June 2004
    Definately need to cover the major events, but instead of just showing the winner - maybe a brief statement from those that win the tournament would be neat. Could do a spoof-thank you like an award ceremony. Also, interviewing some of the Omegathon contestants and asking how they prepared for the event with only a few week's notice could be really interesting.

Interviews of some of the guests would be nice - but not just the same ol' FAQ stuff that are going to be thrown at them at the convention anyhow. It'd be nice to get their idea on PA, what they think it has done for the gaming community, if any, and what they think about the convention. I'm sure those questions will be thrown at them anyhow but that's something that you won't be able to find in every other interview that they're asked to do.

We should get some footage of Tycho singing, definately.

Also, some random footage of PAX - such as how the panels are set up or just giving an overview from a fan's point of view of walking through the crowd's and what the hotel looks like and then having Tycho & Gabe give a director's commentary on it could be amusing.

Nightingale on
    finalnightsig.jpg
  • AndrewgeddonAndrewgeddon Registered User regular
    edited June 2004
    I think going around the hotel afterhours would be cool, seeing the gamers in their "natural enviroment"... or as natural as a bunch of strangers hanging around together in a hotel can get. You could also keep a tally of how many drunk people you can find wandering the halls. Chances are i'll be one of them.

Andrewgeddon on
    Mastadons beware.... The AndrewgeddoN is coming for yoooooou!
  • PRDPRD Kristin Lindsay I am a meat popsicle.Registered User regular
    edited June 2004
    Woohooo! Great to see that you'll hopefully be back, Geoff!

- Kristin

PRD on
    edited June 2004
    If it was all region that'd kick arse.(Notice the arse not ass) 'Cause I won't be going 'cause I live in the land of Aus. Stats on the torneys, footage of the finals, the Omegathon, Gabe and Tycho interview 'bout whatever really. Arrr lets see, arrr the panels, some of the bands if your allowed to that is. arrr Geeks getting down to said music(hahahaha). And yeah all thats been posted before 'cept the wives part thats creepy.

Unknown User on
  • DarkmoogleDarkmoogle Registered User regular
    edited June 2004
    Yeah, if you post nothing else in the way of game replays, get the entire final round of the Omegathon in there.

And as for Tycho singing, I've just now realized how silly it is that The Fine Print isn't on the list of musical guests. What the hell? I like them, and not just because it's Tycho.

Darkmoogle on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited June 2004
    I second the motion to have a camera follow the West Coast caravan. I'd volunteer for it, but I'm up in Sacto so I'm going to miss the first half of the trip. If you want a Road-rules style video, the West Coast caravan's going to be the place to get it. I'd be very interested in watching that video, it'd be like a reality show except not... well, staged. =) lol =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • ben184ben184 Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    Watching the video from 2003, this is what I would like to see more of:

-Behind the Scenes (set-up, planning, before and after the event)
    -More of Gabe and Tycho (interviews, guided walk-through of expo)
    -Gabe drawing (maybe even a "how-to")
    -Follow a tournament from beginning to end (Omegathon!)
    -Follow people outside of the expo, back to the hotels/restaraunts (there may be something interesting/familiar about gaming peeps)
    -More interviews, with a wider variety of people
    -Record ALL the forum speakers
    -Record ALL of the music performances

Also:
    -Following the West Coast SuperTrip from beginning to end (both back and forth) could be a documentry by its self.
    -Get someone who is coming from out of the country to document their journey.
    -Put some "Fine Print" music on the DVD
    -Every Penny Arcade comic on the DVD-ROM portion? (maybe even high resolution versions) <--That would be awesome

I think behind the scenes stuff is most important. A lot of people that were at the 2003 event already knew about everything inside that video. Show stuff that even people that attend wouldn't know about.

I'd pay up to $25 for a DVD that contains most of the stuff listed.

P.S. - I'm traveling in the SuperTrip from Los Angeles on. I would be missing the Arizona portion of the caravan, but I would still be willing to cover that. I just don't have the camera :->

ben184 on
    edited July 2004
    I'm coming from Canada, film me, the maker of a off shot PA site.

Oknark on
    skelesign.jpg
  • ben184ben184 Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    Maybe a "Darren's Dance Moves" type instructional video for DDR, with the wicked-good DDR players/dancers?

ben184 on
  • SnowGhostSnowGhost Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    Dedicating a portion of any PAX DVD to DDR would be mandatory. I think some organized teams are going to be 'representing' and I definitely want footage of that. Large amounts of 'flow' may be present. There are dozens of Bemani FAQ's online so I don't know how useful an instructional video would be. However if bar jumping, knee dropping, perfect attacking heavy's are going to be on hand I'd pay $25-$30 for a DVD of that alone.

Anyone know if there going to have any ParaPara at PAX?

SnowGhost on
  • KyleGKyleG Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    For Pax 2004 event, I would like to do a bigger and better video production. But in order to do that. I need the creative feedback from people who might be interested in viewing it. Be it people who attend the event or people who couldnt make it to the event.

I have a few suggestions, mostly based off of stuff that would be interesting to watch after the whole show is over. While the whole event will probably be exciting, you'll probably only want to focus on things that are watchable more than once if you're lacking the ability to be in too many places.

"Must-Haves":
    1) The PA Q&A.
    2) Every round of the Omegathon.
    3) The "Pitch Your Game Ideas!" panel.
    4) A dash of the musical performances. Perhaps one performance per artist, and maybe some highlights.

"Secondary Stuff":
    1) An interview with the Red VS Blue guys.
    2) The "Development Process" panel.
    3) The "Breaking into the Industry" panel.

"Stuff to Avoid if You're Pressed for Time":
    1) Focusing too much on the misc. tournaments. The final rounds of each tourney might be interesting, but other than that, it could get a bit boring to watch.
    2) The exhibition room. Chances are that by the time this film is released, the information found therein will be old.

KyleG on
  • Thug LifeThug Life Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    one thing thats gotta be in the video (like a special feature or whatever) is the crazy parties in the hotel.

Thug Life on
    gretzky_cup1984.jpg