As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] RIP Jo Cox

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    Just tories being unspeakably evil tories as ususal. Besides, corporation tax cuts don't really matter, they don't bother paying them anyway.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Not particularly noteworthy, but still amusing

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I'm not sure I'm keen on the implications of the Life ISA, if the running pattern of laying the groundwork for later shenanigans holds firm.

Also the example they have in the five page document explaining Life ISAs assumes an interest rate of 4% ahahahahahahahaha

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    You know what really gets me about the Brexit vote? If we looked at the figures we'd probably see that the large majority of the exit side is... old. In other words a lot of young and working age people are going to be dragged out of the EU by people who have no stake in it now, and will likely be dead before having to deal with the consequences of exit. Lets face it if you're retired now what impact does the EU have on your life at all?

This whole thing is just another opportunity for boomers and their parents to get one last kick in at their kids and grandkids. If the odds are good you're going to be dead ten years from now you should have the decency to leave the decision alone.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Wouldn't matter much if young folks voted. They have abysmal turnout rates, and get what they're given by old folks because I guess democracy is too hard.

I don't subscribe to the idea that millennials are lazy wasters, but they fail to turn up and vote in their own best interests.

• Options
    Norn Iron has problems, but I think it certainly encouraged me to vote more as a youngster. I don't think I've missed a single election or referendum.

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    It was a similar story in the Scottish indy ref, I believe. The trend was the older the demographic, the more support there was for staying in the Union. The youngest demographic were overwhelmingly in favour of a split, the eldest were the opposite. The largest of the 'No' voters saying pensions were their biggest concern in the debate. 'Yes' voters attributing it to dissatisfaction with Westminster.

You could argue it's older people being selfish, not considering the needs of the youth but alternately, it could be experience in age, that after 50+ years of observing politics, they know it's far better to stay within the Union.

• Options
    Norn Iron has problems, but I think it certainly encouraged me to vote more as a youngster. I don't think I've missed a single election or referendum.

It's a pity the result is always the same.
    *Hello darkness my old friend*

On that note, the appeals court sided with the DUP on the gay blood ban. The judge stated:
    "There is no basis for the conclusion that the minister's decision in this case was pre-determined by his Christian beliefs, and there is ample evidence to indicate that the minister approached the decision-making by evaluating the competing factors before adopting on a precautionary basis the status quo."

"We do not consider that the fair minded and informed observer could conclude that there was a real risk of apparent bias."

I mean, really? You could have bloody fooled me. Deciding that it was a weighted decision when they import blood donated (and undifferentiated) by people in the rest of the UK who would fall foul of the same ban? How do the DUP keep getting away with it?

• Options
    altid wrote: »

On that note, the appeals court sided with the DUP on the gay blood ban. The judge stated:
    "There is no basis for the conclusion that the minister's decision in this case was pre-determined by his Christian beliefs, and there is ample evidence to indicate that the minister approached the decision-making by evaluating the competing factors before adopting on a precautionary basis the status quo."

"We do not consider that the fair minded and informed observer could conclude that there was a real risk of apparent bias."

I mean, really? You could have bloody fooled me. Deciding that it was a weighted decision when they import blood donated (and undifferentiated) by people in the rest of the UK who would fall foul of the same ban? How do the DUP keep getting away with it?

The Shinners are politically powerful?

• Options

I'm half hoping they get largest party and with it First Minister, not because I particularly agree with them, but because the DUP meltdown would be hilarious. Especially seeing how quickly they could backtrack on their opposition to "join first minister" titles.

• Options

I'm half hoping they get largest party and with it First Minister, not because I particularly agree with them, but because the DUP meltdown would be hilarious. Especially seeing how quickly they could backtrack on their opposition to "join first minister" titles.

I've actually seen no polling for the Stormont elections. What's the prognosis? I recall 2011 being basically no changes.

• Options

I've actually seen no polling for the Stormont elections. What's the prognosis? I recall 2011 being basically no changes.

I have no idea if I'm honest, I haven't seen any polls either. It's very strange - the election is on the 5th May (yes, I had to look that up) and yet I've heard practically nothing about it.

• Options

I have no idea if I'm honest, I haven't seen any polls either. It's very strange - the election is on the 5th May (yes, I had to look that up) and yet I've heard practically nothing about it.

The biggest thing is how Arlene Foster and the DUP do after stimulating the mountain construction industry using the finest molehills, and whether the UUP can flank them on the right.

I see very little shifting with the other three parties.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    It was a similar story in the Scottish indy ref, I believe. The trend was the older the demographic, the more support there was for staying in the Union. The youngest demographic were overwhelmingly in favour of a split, the eldest were the opposite. The largest of the 'No' voters saying pensions were their biggest concern in the debate. 'Yes' voters attributing it to dissatisfaction with Westminster.

You could argue it's older people being selfish, not considering the needs of the youth but alternately, it could be experience in age, that after 50+ years of observing politics, they know it's far better to stay within the Union.

I'm pretty sure there was only one age bracket in which Yes beat out No in the Scottish independence vote; I think it was 35-39. All the other age brackets, No won, although with the exception of 65+, it was all very close.

So you're right that a bunch of old people voted no, but that's about it. The youngest voters didn't vote overwhelmingly in splitting from the UK.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    FFS Osborne. You can't carry on complaining about budget deficits and required cut backs whilst also handing out tax cuts.

He's just physically incapable of understanding my view that I'd rather other needier people were helped than I in my comfortable middle class living get a small handout, isn't he?

Fucking tax me more! Then look up empathy in a dictionary.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    Wouldn't matter much if young folks voted. They have abysmal turnout rates, and get what they're given by old folks because I guess democracy is too hard.

I don't subscribe to the idea that millennials are lazy wasters, but they fail to turn up and vote in their own best interests.

I'm not just talking about 20 year olds who don't give a shit. From what I've seen the 30-40 year old people are more in favour of staying in. And if we do get dragged out it'll be by a group of coffin dodgers who are confused by the brown man who sells them their copy of the Daily Mail. The polls I've looked at shows a straight correlation between age and likleyhood to vote leave, it isn't until you hit around 50+ where it goes to a 50/50 split and at 60+ a majority want to leave.

In other words even if after the expected decade of turmoil the economists turn out to be wrong and the UK magically reverts back to the "good old days" of whenever, the people who wanted it will likely be dead and their kids who didn't will be stuck with the result.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    You know what really gets me about the Brexit vote? If we looked at the figures we'd probably see that the large majority of the exit side is... old. In other words a lot of young and working age people are going to be dragged out of the EU by people who have no stake in it now, and will likely be dead before having to deal with the consequences of exit. Lets face it if you're retired now what impact does the EU have on your life at all?

This whole thing is just another opportunity for boomers and their parents to get one last kick in at their kids and grandkids. If the odds are good you're going to be dead ten years from now you should have the decency to leave the decision alone.

But Fooooooooooooooooooooooooreigners!!!!

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Nigel Farage was speaking about a ten minute drive from my place this evening.

For a second, I toyed with the idea of going to "protest" with a placard saying "Well, at least you're not Donald Trump."

Maybe I should've roped in a friend and had them say "Careful now" and "Down with that sort of thing".

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Jazz wrote: »
    Nigel Farage was speaking about a ten minute drive from my place this evening.

For a second, I toyed with the idea of going to "protest" with a placard saying "Well, at least you're not Donald Trump."

Maybe I should've roped in a friend and had them say "Careful now" and "Down with that sort of thing".

His post budget statement was about how growth was a result of immigration. So either he's left ukip or that party have now accepted that their brand of xenophobia and racism would also tank the economy

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    SkuntySkunty Registered User regular
    FFS Osborne...

Sociopaths know what empathy is, they fake having it every so often to maintain the illusion that they aren't in fact monsters. The problem here is these particular monsters have a mandate from the electorate, and with that the freedom to act as they like.
    I'm just glad that this budgt I wasn't subjected to IDS gleefully cheering like demented nutter.

• Options
    Skunty wrote: »
    FFS Osborne...

Sociopaths know what empathy is, they fake having it every so often to maintain the illusion that they aren't in fact monsters. The problem here is these particular monsters have a mandate from the electorate, and with that the freedom to act as they like.
    I'm just glad that this budgt I wasn't subjected to IDS gleefully cheering like demented nutter.

Personally I reject any claim of a mandate that doesn't have more than 50% of the electorate behind it. The coalition, whatever its faults, actually had that, though it's quite a rare phenomenon in British Politics.

They have a majority in the Commons. They have the legal right to do what they want, but morally they don't, and they sure as hell don't have a mandate.

Funny, the Ex-Soviet thread was talking about controversial Polish Reforms, and the news article in question had the Government claiming "a strong mandate for reform", so I looked up the most recent election results and it was eerie: Razor thin majority of around ten, 37% of the electorate. I psyduck'd.

• Options
    Speaking of Razor Thin majorities, I also read that there are some Tory Backbencher Murmurs about the PIP cuts. It would be nice if that led anywhere.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular

You could say exactly the same thing about the IndyRef vote. The Young voted Yes the Old vote No.

Everyone gets a vote, you can't just arbitrarily deny the legitimacy of someone's vote because you don't like it.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »

I'm pretty sure there was only one age bracket in which Yes beat out No in the Scottish independence vote; I think it was 35-39. All the other age brackets, No won, although with the exception of 65+, it was all very close.

So you're right that a bunch of old people voted no, but that's about it. The youngest voters didn't vote overwhelmingly in splitting from the UK.

There were a few post referendum polls on the subject that showed a variety of figures but the subsequent Edinburgh University study is by far the largest (which allows for statistically valid cross-breaks) and most rigerous

http://centreonconstitutionalchange.ac.uk/sites/default/files/Scottish Referendum Study 27 March 2015.pdf

2j1pusl.jpg

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

• Options
    Maybe I'm just being optimistic, but criticism of this budget seems to be sticking a bit more than normal.

There's been open reporting of how Osborne has consistently failed to meet his own targets and how it's very blatantly a "fuck the poor" budget. It has been strong enough this time that he's had to actually respond to criticism! The question is how much longer will it go on before endless austerity is unpopular enough to get it stopped? We must be getting past the time limit for "blame the last government" now. They've had 6 years and the only thing that has been consistent with the budget is that austerity doesn't really work. Then again, they aren't doing it because it might work, they're doing it out of ideology .

Corbyn actually managed a reasonably decent response to the budget:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18Pfx4sAMfg

You can see though how little regard for democracy the current tories have throughout. They don't even bother letting him speak. The commons has a tradition of jeering, but not to this level.

• Options

There were a few post referendum polls on the subject that showed a variety of figures but the subsequent Edinburgh University study is by far the largest (which allows for statistically valid cross-breaks) and most rigerous

http://centreonconstitutionalchange.ac.uk/sites/default/files/Scottish Referendum Study 27 March 2015.pdf

2j1pusl.jpg

That's far closer to an even split across the board than the EU vote is. I have a hard time calling age a factor at all looking at that, only 70+ has a significant swing.

• Options

2j1pusl.jpg

That's far closer to an even split across the board than the EU vote is. I have a hard time calling age a factor at all looking at that, only 70+ has a significant swing.

If you look at page 7 then you see that 16-19 year olds voted almost as heavily for Yes as 70+ did for No. There is a perfect grading sweep from young to old from Yes to No only spoilt by the (still yes voting) blip at 20-24 caused by lots of rUK and oUK university students.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Disability cuts 'a suggestion'
    Oh shit we've pissed off our own people too much.
    Quick, backtrack while pretending we were always doing this!

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    It looked extraordinarily bad when set against the cuts for rich douchebags in the very same budget. I'm not surprised a few Tories are nervous about it. I'm also not surprised Osborne wanted to do it, as he's an inhuman monster who probably views disabled people as not profitable, and therefore not worth anything.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Seems that the cuts have gotten shelved fucking sharpish.

Which, I guess, leads to the question of where the money for tax cuts is going to come from now.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    IDS resigns:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35848687

It comes after mounting controversy over £4bn of planned cuts to Personal Independence Payments, expected to affect 640,000 people.
    Mr Duncan Smith said the cuts were "not defensible" within a Budget that "benefits higher earning taxpayers

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »

IDS taking the moral high ground and quitting? What the shit?

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    A budget too shitty even for IDS.

Well I suppose this means I'd better take my umbrella tomorrow, because I don't want any pig shit to fall on me.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    That's the first thing IDS has done that I've actually approved of.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Euro referendum causing Tory civil War?

Never saw that coming!

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Remember this considerably reduces the complications involved in campaigning for an "out" vote in the EU referendum

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    What I mean is I wouldn't attribute a high-minded motive to IDS when there's a perfectly good sinister one right there

• Options
    Good riddance

• Options
    japan wrote: »
    What I mean is I wouldn't attribute a high-minded motive to IDS when there's a perfectly good sinister one right there

It's absolutely about the Euro referendum but it is also about multiple times IDS has clashed with Osborne and lost over the last 5 years.

• Options
    I could have been ruder about the thread title, but I thought better of it.