As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Netrunner: Live out all your dorkiest cyberpunk fantasies through the medium of card games

Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchscritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
1436348535200.jpg
Pictured above: a Netrunner player

some assholes watched ghost in the shell and decided to make a card game out of it and that's how Netrunner got made

Netrunner is a very cool asymmetrical LCG where one player acts as an evil cybercorporation and the other plays as a hacker that wants to steal the corporation's secrets

The corporation wins the game by either advancing enough of their agendas by installing them in remote servers protected by security software called ICE, or by murdering the runner

The runner wins by stealing enough of the corporation's agendas before they can score them, or else surviving until the corporation runs out of cards

it's really fun, and you can play for free online using a service like jinteki.net. which is good, because the game's been around long enough that getting up to speed with the current metagame can be expensive

When it comes to corporations, you have the following choices:

Jinteki is a corporation that works in genetics, cloning, and biological androids like in Bladerunner. They generally focus on traps and ways to deceive the runner into triggering negative effects for themselves.

Haas-Bioroid is a competitor of Jinteki, working on mechanical robots instead of biological ones. Their focus is on establishing strong ICE to defend easily advanceable agendas.

Weyland Consortium has diversified assets, focusing on industrial machinery and private security. Their main focus is on doing "meat" damage, that is, physically harming the runner.

NBN is a news and entertainment conglomeration. Their focus is on "tagging" the runner, putting a target on the runner's back that allows them to hit them hard with powerful effects.

The runners are meanwhile divided into three factions:

Anarchs just want to buck the control that corporations exert on society. Their focus is on viruses, targeting and destroying corporation cards to leave them defenseless

Criminals are in it for the cash. They have a lot of cards that can make or even steal money, which they dump into running constantly.

Shapers just like to run for the fun of it. Their focus is on building up lots and lots of resources, so they can deal with anything the corporation can throw at them.

You can read the rules of how to play here. If you're interested in buying some physical cards, the best place to start is the Core Set. Unfortunately, there's a real dumbshit quirk to the core set, which is that it doesn't give you 3 copies of every card. In fact, it only gives you 2 copies of a whole bunch of them, and there's no easy way to fill out the missing cards. None of the expansions work like this. Also I'm new to the game but I've heard that they're gonna start phasing old expansions out of legal play, so if you're buying expansions maybe tend toward the more recent ones?

If you have any questions about the game, building decks or how rules work or something, feel free to ask in here. I've only been playing for a week, and we have a lot of other relative newcomers too. Actually on that note, if more experienced players could maybe avoid using a ton of esoteric acronyms and lingo, that'd be great.

I'll probably add other shit here when I'm not on my phone?

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Anarchs are jerks and I hate them.

That is all.

EDIT: Also I made an Adam deck that's probably garbage, but I really love his gimmick.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Posted Bounty + Double Scorch is the one true light and one true combo

e: also playing runner against @Poorochondriac is the single most frustrating experience I have ever had in my life

YaYa on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    netrunner is my favorite thing

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I actually tend to shy away from Scorch strats.

Scorching a runner to death on turn 4 is funny as hell, but I honestly far prefer beating the runner thoroughly at his own game.

Which may be why my first decks were both Weyland and HB glacier decks that build huge fuck-off walls of ice.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I haven't really landed on any Runners or Runner factions that I instantly loved and wanted to make a deck around the way I instantly took to Jinteki

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

Scorching a runner to death on turn 4 is funny as hell, but I honestly far prefer beating the runner thoroughly at his own game.

Which may be why my first decks were both Weyland and HB glacier decks that build huge fuck-off walls of ice.

counterpoint: staring the Runner right in the eye, flipping your Posted Bounty, dropping two Scorches on the table, and walking away without another word

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

I dunno if there is anything that feels better than winning on turn 2 with scorched earths.

Usually I don't try to win through flatlining the runner, but I like having the threat there to make them play worse allowing me to score out on agendas more easily.

But man reducing a runner to a red smear is always fun.

• Options
    scorch is also not hugely viable right now

it's hard to make decks that can win with both scorch and points and you kind of have to have a backup plan for those decks that are playing film critic or double plascrete

• Options
    Also I am always sad that PSF will never be a good card because man its alt art is the best:

Netrunner-Private-Security-force-PSF-Alt-Art.jpg

Actually I'm going to be running a shadowrun campaign soon, I wonder if the art from netrunner is up any where with the gameplay art ripped out because man the art in this game is great.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I like Criminal decks.

Right now the one I've got built has Iain though.

I can't seem to get him to work well.

• Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    Woo, Netrunner thread! I'm just now kind of coming out of a phase of Netrunner fatigue caused by the tournament season, and made a Palana Foods deck in response.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    Posted Bounty + Double Scorch is the one true light and one true combo

e: also playing runner against @Poorochondriac is the single most frustrating experience I have ever had in my life

My super power is to give you the same goddamn piece of junk card every time you try to steal from my hand.

This is a super power of limited utility, but intense satisfaction.

• Options
    are you still playing, pooro?

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    are you still playing, pooro?

Not anywhere near as often as I'd like. My roommate and I pick up the decks maybe once every other month.

• Options
    you oughta consider pokin' around in your area for a game store that does a regular night

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I haven't really landed on any Runners or Runner factions that I instantly loved and wanted to make a deck around the way I instantly took to Jinteki

I want to build a Jinteki deck very badly but BOY you don't get shit for them in the core deck

Was hoping I could get some critiques?

Right now I'm running an older HB Glacier Deck, seen here:
    http://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklist/5438/the-red-coats

And a pretty old but very, VERY fun shaper deck based on Monolith:
    http://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklist/808/big-girls-play-with-monoliths

If anyone had some tweaks I'd be open to listening, the reason I'm using older decklists is to limit the sets I have to buy right away, I might branch out into newer stuff later as I get more cards, but if people have absolute must-adds let me know!

(This game is super fun and I like playing with @Speed Racer even though he is much better at card games and beats my butt and makes me sad

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Also I am always sad that PSF will never be a good card because man its alt art is the best:

Actually I'm going to be running a shadowrun campaign soon, I wonder if the art from netrunner is up any where with the gameplay art ripped out because man the art in this game is great.

I don't think so, but NetrunnerDB and Jinteki both have all the alt art

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    For card art your best bet is to look on the sites of individual artists. For example, Matt Zeilinger does a TONNNNNN of art for the game. @Lexxy also did some work for it, including the art for Nisei Mk. II, the best Jinteki agenda in the game!

• Options
    For card art your best bet is to look on the sites of individual artists. For example, Matt Zeilinger does a TONNNNNN of art for the game. @Lexxy also did some work for it, including the art for Nisei Mk. II, the best Jinteki agenda in the game!

Awesome thanks!

I'm a little sad to see that my old favorite IDs have fallen by the wayside (Gabe and GRNDL). After my class today though I'm on my spring break so maybe I'll try to get playing online over jinteki figured out, make some new decks and get my feet wet again.

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    I have not been able to play this since my job that started a year and a half ago prevented me from getting to my FLGS, and none of my friends like the game, and I don't get nearly the fun out of Octgn that I got from RL games

I'm still kinda sad about that

• Options

I don't think so, but NetrunnerDB and Jinteki both have all the alt art

nrdb took down the promo versions of cards, I think

jnet has them but only for people who donate

• Options
    edited March 2016

I want to build a Jinteki deck very badly but BOY you don't get shit for them in the core deck

If anyone had some tweaks I'd be open to listening, the reason I'm using older decklists is to limit the sets I have to buy right away, I might branch out into newer stuff later as I get more cards, but if people have absolute must-adds let me know!

(This game is super fun and I like playing with "Speed Racer" even though he is much better at card games and beats my butt and makes me sad

our very own @Cerberus took 3rd at worlds playing a more modern HB glacier deck, which you can see here

http://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklist/28592/food-coma-3rd-place-at-worlds-2015-

it is a better platform from which to launch a new HB deck

I'm the wrong person to provide input for any deck revolving around monolith because I think it's a garbage card (even with an ideal use of its ability it is nothing more than +3 MU for about 4 credits! which will never happen because you need those programs to provide early server pressure! it's super dumb!)

Shorty on
  • Options
    Shorty wrote: »

(This game is super fun and I like playing with "Speed Racer" even though he is much better at card games and beats my butt and makes me sad

our very own @Cerberus took 3rd at worlds playing a more modern HB glacier deck, which you can see here

http://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklist/28592/food-coma-3rd-place-at-worlds-2015-

it is a better platform from which to launch a new HB deck

I'm the wrong person to provide input for any deck revolving around monolith because I think it's a garbage card (even with an ideal use of its ability it is nothing more than +3 MU for about 4 credits! which will never happen because you need those programs to provide early server pressure! it's super dumb!)

With that deck I've gotten monolith with 3 programs out on turn 2, usually nlt turn 4

I dont think its the best card ever but it works most of the time in this deck

Thanks for the link though!

• Options
    Oh I actually looked up that deck, it needs like upwards of 9 data packs I dont have

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular

I dunno if there is anything that feels better than winning on turn 2 with scorched earths.

Usually I don't try to win through flatlining the runner, but I like having the threat there to make them play worse allowing me to score out on agendas more easily.

But man reducing a runner to a red smear is always fun.

I'll tell you what feels better:

winning on turn 2 with Punitive Counterstrikes (in the quarter finals of a regional tournament)

• Options
    Punitive counterstrike is one of my favorite cards so far

• Options
    It's a shame the deck doesn't work so well anymore. It was out of HB so it was totally unexpected, but now most of my local meta know about it and tend to be cautious against any HB deck I play. And glacier can be touch and go enough against current meta trends without trying to also kill someone through Ive Had Worse or Film Critic.

So I play a more traditional style HB Glaicer now. Here's the deck I played at a store championship last weekend if you're curious about a more current version of that archetype, Chincy.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    are there any runner cards that increase the cost of scoring agendas somehow

• Options
    There's a few. There's The Source, which is a neutral (2 influence) resource that increases the advancement cost of an agenda by 1. But it is trashed when an agenda is scored or stolen and puts a 2c tax on the running stealing an agenda.

There's Chakana, a Shaper Virus that gets tokens from R&D runs. If it has 3+ tokens it increases the advancement cost by 1.

And there's also Clot, an anarch virus of cost 2, which prevents an agenda from being scored on the turn it is installed.

• Options
    Traffic Jam is a current event that kind of does that. It increases the advancements needed to score an agenda by 1 for each copy of that agenda in the corp's score area.

• Options
    Anzekay wrote: »
    It's a shame the deck doesn't work so well anymore. It was out of HB so it was totally unexpected, but now most of my local meta know about it and tend to be cautious against any HB deck I play. And glacier can be touch and go enough against current meta trends without trying to also kill someone through Ive Had Worse or Film Critic.

So I play a more traditional style HB Glaicer now. Here's the deck I played at a store championship last weekend if you're curious about a more current version of that archetype, Chincy.

Err I appreciate it but that one I listed, (which don't get me wrong I'm sure isn't as good) only needs 3 data packs I don't have and that one needs nine and an expansion

I super can't dump that kind of money all at once

I'm going to have to build up a lot slower than that

• Options

Err I appreciate it but that one I listed, (which don't get me wrong I'm sure isn't as good) only needs 3 data packs I don't have and that one needs nine and an expansion

Oh of course, but it's at least something you can look at to see the sort of core build you'll want to be looking at for building a deck with what you do have. Ice makeup, econ engine, agenda spread are all stuff that can transition from deck to deck even with a smaller card pool. It's just a matter of looking a the numbers on stuff and what sort of potential holes in a deck they cover.

• Options

Yeah, I'm gonna have to buy at minimum Honor and Profit, but as soon as I looked through the core set and saw Snare I was in love

• Options
    core set + honor and profit can make a pretty credible blacktree deck

it's a good idea to also get Trace Amount and Future Proof though

• Options
    Yeah, those were immediately the next two I was looking at for for Fetal AI and Ronin, maybe Future Proof earlier just because it has kind of a nutty amount of good stuff in it

• Options
    future proof is a crucial pack, yeah

RDI, Faerie, Eli, Indexing, Ronin, Beale, Midseason

lotta good stuff

• Options

Oh of course, but it's at least something you can look at to see the sort of core build you'll want to be looking at for building a deck with what you do have. Ice makeup, econ engine, agenda spread are all stuff that can transition from deck to deck even with a smaller card pool. It's just a matter of looking a the numbers on stuff and what sort of potential holes in a deck they cover.

I'm really not great at that kind of stuff, I'm not really a deck builder

I like playing a bunch though

When I get closer to having the cards I need ill definitely look some of those lists back up. I'm going to my shop tonight so ill be grabbing some things.

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Some of my happiest memories (and my only tournament win) involved a Nisei Division deck built solely on the Psi game.

My first opponent that day - a guy who was utterly convinced he had solved Netrunner at that point, and was quickly growing bored - ran into my Snowflake(I think that was the name, the cheap psi barrier that is almost inconsequential to deal with). His face lit up like it was Christmas. "Yo, I'm not even gonna break it. LETS GO!"

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Hi Netrunner thread. I only have the base set and have played a few games as Shaper and HB. What's some other fun/decent stuff I can get out of the core set?

• Options
    You can build a solid wetland economy deck and a strong aggressive noise deck