As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

100 days review

RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000Administrator, ClubPA admin
We are coming up on the 100th day of the new forums, and I'd like to hear how you think they are being handled.

Try to factor in everything:
- how the boards look, features/bugs/annoyances in the code
- choice of who moderates
- how the moderators/admin acts and their availability when needed.
- ban policies
- freedom to speak and act as you choose/supression of spammers and trolls
- adequate forums/topics to meet your interests
- Mods / Admin (me) acts in your interests and/or in the interests of all.
- uptime/responsiveness
- overall entertainment value

Feel free to discuss your reasons in this thread. I've not looked at anything code-wise in a while because of other projects I am busy with, but feel free to mention anything code-wise that you think would improve the forums. Also discuss any of the above stuff or other things if you can think of them. Try not to go too far off topic.

Ramius on

• GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2003
    I voted good - better than any boards ive ever put together - ezboards and php, but not the best i've seen.

Grath on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2003
    I think the choice of moderators is pretty good, mainly concentrating on SE++, though it seems like they don't all pull the same amount of weight. This seems to occur in each of the different branches. It's not really a problem, more of an observation. I'd say that so far Boddah and Nads have been pretty damn good moderators. Fast on locks on crap topics, etc.

I also prefer the more recent layout of forums, Game On was useless and you did a good job scrapping it. Everything Else already has its own distinct identity.

Dynagrip on
  • AnatoleAnatole Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2003
    SE++ is good. G&T could use some work. Is RX73 never on, or does he just lurk?

Anatole on
  • JetGrindEggyJetGrindEggy Registered User regular
    edited May 2003
    Too many idiots, and very few topics that hold my interest. I voted bad, but you should have included a so-so choice, I would have picked that.

JetGrindEggy on
  • BrinkBrink Registered User regular
    edited May 2003
    No problems at all, great forum.

Brink on
    ;)
  • MachineHeadMachineHead Registered User regular
    edited May 2003
    Mod coverage is an issue sometimes in SE++, particularly in the mornings.
    Other than that things are going well.

MachineHead on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2003
    Too many idiots, and very few topics that hold my interest. I voted bad, but you should have included a so-so choice, I would have picked that.
    How many worthwhile topics do you contribute?

Dynagrip on
  • Iridium_apeIridium_ape Registered User regular
    edited May 2003
    I pretty much stick to the art forum, but I think we run a pretty damn good forum over there.

Iridium_ape on
  • GimpyBoyGimpyBoy Registered User regular
    edited May 2003
    Running great. Of course I'm in the Artist forum so it's like our own little world over there, but everything seems awesome so far.

GimpyBoy on
    GimpyBoy.gif
  • ShiosaiShiosai Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2003
    Member forums are great. And the others are pretty good. I have this strange feeling that SE++ is going to explode and cause some real damage to the forums if it remains the way it is. People there are just plain mean. To new people, to old people. Sometimes it is kidding, but other times I see honest to god hate and threats posted. I know SE++ is unique for being the one topic that allows this type of freedom, I just see it as a powder keg waiting to go off. And I say this as a forumer of SE++ that does get flamed and does flame as well. I may sound hypocritical even posting this. But you did ask for an opinion. This is mine.

Edit: I do admit that SE++ is also the most entertaining...Hmm..

Shiosai on
    60353019xm5.jpg
  • BergyBergy Registered User regular
    edited May 2003
    SE++ is very diverse I like it.

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
    I've been trying to reach you, but your extension cord doesn't reach that far.
  • RBBBRBBB Registered User new member
    edited May 2003
    Although I've butted heads with moderators in the past, especially when I first started posting here, all in all everyone has been quite fair.

Keep up the good work, this is a great place to get information...and humor.

RBBB on
    Save the world, eat your young.

Just say NO to SPAM
  • KitschKitsch Registered User regular
    edited May 2003
    If I explained, I'd be killed, so.

Kitsch on
    The above post is filled with lies!
    maybe
  • H*RH*R Registered User regular
    edited May 2003
    I am very pleased.

These boards run rings around the IGN boards that i've recently started using. When i petitioned them to make it more like these forums and use this forum software.

Well let's just say that even the mods were flaming me.

I don't hang out there that often.

H*R on
    Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
  • JuanJuan __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2003
    I have a few problems with some of the administrative choices, such as locking long threads, but over all it runs as sexily as can be expected. I do note that evander has to mod himself way too often in se++ when none of the others are around.

Juan on
  • EffStarStarStarEffStarStarStar Registered User regular
    edited May 2003
    I voted Great. The invalid_session thing is my only major gripe. That, and I have a few issues with G&T moderation. But I don't post there enough for it to influence my personal opinion of the boards down a notch.

EffStarStarStar on
  • SlungsolowSlungsolow Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2003
    Everything is a-ok in my book. The speed problems will happen and I could care less. The mods do an alright job (I haven't been banned.. ) The rooms seem to work well... and god damnit its a board with readers of penny-arcade.. it can't go wrong.

Slungsolow on
    fuck your forums, fuck your administrator and fuck dynagrip for getting away with the long troll.
  • StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited May 2003
    This place is just fine.

I voted great

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • MongolHunterMongolHunter Registered User regular
    edited May 2003
    It's good but maybe have your post presented under the invalid_session notice so that it is still effective but no-one can get pissed off about losing a 1000 word essay on why Jermai needs to be whipped.

MongolHunter on
  • GOORSLYGOORSLY vogon poetry Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2003
    I voted good, if only because of the aforementioned invalid_session error and the somewhat repetitive nature of SE. The mods on SE and the Artist's Corner do a good job of keeping things in check; I can't comment on the others because I don't go to them regularly. I'm a fan of the established blue/grey style, there are always good threads running in some form or another, and uptime hasn't really been a problem. Between the two forums I visit there's hardly ever a dull moment.

Good work Ramius and good work mods, keep it up.

GOORSLY on
  • redkatanaredkatana Registered User regular
    edited May 2003
    i like how we are allowed to say fuck :x

redkatana on
  • CrimsonKingCrimsonKing Registered User regular
    edited May 2003
    These forums kick ass. uff said.

CrimsonKing on
    This sig was too tall - Elki.
  • The FallenThe Fallen Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2003
    SE++ and G&T hardly ever have anything worth reading in them... but the Art forums and the member forums are quite cool... yeah...

The Fallen on
  • CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited May 2003
    All hail the great Artist's Corner! With Social Entropy++ and Games and Technology in a close second. Maybe next year they'll get it, maybe next year.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited May 2003
    I voted great..but I work here..

Whippy on
  • WeekOldSushiWeekOldSushi Registered User regular
    edited May 2003
    I've seen 4 forums in my life... This one's (sadly) the best. I voted great.

WeekOldSushi on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited May 2003
    I will go on a murderous rampage to kill all of the insane non-homo sapiens that voted "Horrible!". How could a human being not be able to like these forums? The best I've been at (Followed by ComicToast and Eatpoo). Ah well, I'd better go and grab my knives so I can go on that rampage...

Unknown User on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited May 2003
    i voted good, because there were certain choices made to change mods in AC that i dint exactly agree with.

Unknown User on
  • poop onepoop one Registered User regular
    edited May 2003
    i voted for "good".

the invaild_session thing is a bitch. and the worst thing about it is it only affects you when you find links to back up your point and write out a thought out post. the retards who just vomit some words into the blank white space and submit never have to see it.

other than that, asside from and unhealthy obsession with TTP, i think this place is really pretty damn good. not for the faint of heart, i suppose, but thats really not my problem...

poop one on
    calvin.gif
  • Rogue_KRogue_K Registered User regular
    edited May 2003
    I like that the people on this forum keep me updated with the shit i don't know...especially the game side of it. Its actually here where i found out Sony was making a handheld. Not to mention all the E3 coverage i got from here.

Rogue_K on
    And through it all i gamed.
    ssig-654898.jpg
  • Blue Is BeautifulBlue Is Beautiful Registered User regular
    edited May 2003
    it still has some bugs in it. sometimes when i hit on submit, it brings up an error message saying something about an invalid email address and just stays there. so i just click on Forum Index and go back to the thread, and sure enough my post is there.

also, this it would really rock if you had a little "quick reply" window at the bottom of the thread like i've seen other versions of these boards have (no the PA boards, but same program).

Blue Is Beautiful on
    no, you can't.
  • SonicSonic Absentee Landlord Registered User regular
    edited May 2003
    I hardly ever wander out of the Artists Corner. Its kinda weird... its all the same board, but AC is really like an entirely separate place. But, that place alone merits a "great."

-Sonic

Sonic on
  • JetGrindEggyJetGrindEggy Registered User regular
    edited May 2003
    Sonic wrote:
    I hardly ever wander out of the Artists Corner. Its kinda weird... its all the same board, but AC is really like an entirely separate place. But, that place alone merits a "great."

-Sonic

I really like your avatar.

JetGrindEggy on
  • ApocronApocron Registered User new member
    edited May 2003
    The forums are good. However I feel the topics page is a little crushed. I''m not sure if it is the font or the spacing between titles but it just seems crowded.

Also, needs more pie.

Apocron on
  • JuanJuan __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2003
    it's probably just you.

Juan on
  • Auntie ShibbyAuntie Shibby Horrible Visalia, CARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2003
    I voted good, only because it leaves room for greater strides o be done.

Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
  • NineeyeeveNineeyeeve Registered User new member
    edited May 2003
    the moderators in here are great people, and i really like hte layout of the fourms , that linkomania topic tottaly rocks & games and technology is great for a game lover like me

Nineeyeeve on
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited May 2003
    Out of all of the other forums I've used (IGN, GameFAQs) I'd have to say this one is the best, and it's also the easiest one to use as well. I say that because you can make a clickable URL, and have pictures right in your post. I like having avatars too, I like keeping track of who it is posting. The art board is my personal favorite, mainly because I can see what other user's have done, and I'm impressed with some of them

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • 0ddball0ddball Registered User new member
    edited May 2003
    The boards themselves are fine. The mods do a good job, considering how hectic the whole thing is. There are a lot of idiots, but that's like every forum. I'd say 90 percent of everyone is pretty damn cool though.

Good.

0ddball on
    button.gif
  • FishbuFishbu Registered User new member
    edited May 2003
    Good. Not the best forum I've been to but it's way up there.

Fishbu on
This discussion has been closed.