As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The People v. Castle [Daredevil Season 2]

ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
vvq5rqlk3osn.jpg

Daredevil Season 2 has been released on Netflix. Featuring the return of everyone's favorite (surviving) characters, Matt Murdock, Karen Page, and Foggy Nelson.

Joining them this time around are newcomers Elektra:

DD_s2_elodie_young_elektra.jpg?1444664470

And Frank Castle:

Screen-Shot-2015-07-28-at-12.57.49-PM.png

This thing is probably my favorite Netflix original series right now and I want to talk about PEOPLE GETTING PUNCHED

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Episode 1 and a half-ish thoughts so far:
    I did not expect Castle to be straight up the villain. They are not going soft on him at all and this is one of my favorite roles for him to be in.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    I did not expect Castle to be straight up the villain. They are not going soft on him at all and this is one of my favorite roles for him to be in.

Your thoughts on the above may slightly adjust on each consecutive episode.

I'm on ep 4 right now.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

Your thoughts on the above may slightly adjust on each consecutive episode.

I'm on ep 4 right now.

Well, that's dissappointing, but hopefully it's handled well.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Episode 2, minor dialogue
    the guy who's talking about the authorities building a profile on Castle and then gets to say "they're calling this one.... the Punisher" is clearly so jazzed that he's the one that gets to say it

Grey Ghost wrote: »
    the guy who's talking about the authorities building a profile on Castle and then gets to say "they're calling this one.... the Punisher" is clearly so jazzed that he's the one that gets to say it

That line was pretty rough

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Well I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1

It was hilarious

• LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    I love both Elektra and the Punisher so far.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.

It was hilarious

Well yeah but I dont think that was on purpose

• MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    It's pretty dead around the office today, should I skip out at noon and spend the afternoon watching this?

• HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    That was a good first episode, I'd forgotten how great Karen is

PSN- AHermano
    Episode 3
    yo this talk between Matt and Frank on the roof is real good

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Just a yes or no answer on what people have seen so far:

Am I going to be missing out if I haven't started Jessica Jones yet?

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    Ringo wrote: »

no

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Midway through Ep 4, thoughts so far (not really spoilers, but just in case)
    I really liked the organized crime angle last season, but all the crime/Frank stuff so far is kinda boring. Can't wait for Elektra and the Hand, hope it gets real mystical and weird

I'd forgotten how much I like Foggy. This show needs all the levity it can get and Elden Henson's delivery is great

For some reason I had a strong impression last season that Melvin was mentally handicapped and Fisk was taking advantage of that, but the actor is not playing it that way at all this season, dude suddenly seems perfectly lucid

Jimothy on
    Jimothy wrote: »
    I really liked the organized crime angle last season, but all the crime/Frank stuff so far is kinda boring. Can't wait for Elektra and the Hand, hope it gets real mystical and weird

I'd forgotten how much I like Foggy. This show needs all the levity it can get and Elden Henson's delivery is great

For some reason I had a strong impression last season that Melvin was mentally handicapped and Fisk was taking advantage of that, but the actor is not playing it that way at all this season, dude suddenly seems perfectly lucid

yyyyyeah I think that might have gotten written out because he 100% was

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular

there's a tiny reference, but it's kinda vague and has no impact on anything. Really just establishes the timeline (which is the same as the order of release)

Episode 8
    I like how there's just this fucking random ass dude driving Stick's car that is never explained.

Episode 4
    aw come on evil Irish dude don't kill this fucking dog

• SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Boy howdy, but I would love to see Steve Rogers beating the shit out of this Punisher.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

Well you are missing out, but not necessarily for reasons related to daredevil. JJ is a good show.

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    S2E2
    I LOVE watching Foggy do his thing, and Karen in the background making "Oh Shiiiit!" faces is just awesome.

Episode 9
    So much blood

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I only wish JJ had been edited to be cut down like 3 episode and to take out or seriously rework 2-3 characters

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Ep 3
    I like how the hospital scenes make the point that Frank's rampage is setting off a gang war, endangering God only knows how many random bystanders. What a putz.

• masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Ep 4
    The decision to give Frank a serious brain injury is a pretty good way to make me juuuuust a little more sympathetic

Still not an excuse and all, but it's more than "MY FAMILY DIED" which Matt has already called bullshit on

edited March 2016
    as of episode 3
    I am still loving the show but I'm actually again pretty irritated that daredevil can't fucking beat anyone in a fist fight. He should be able to beat frank when frank doesn't have guns.

Also the DA is slimy in a not fun way

Chincymcchilla on
    S2E3
    Matt Murdoc, Ghost Rider

edited March 2016
    Elektra just mentioned going to the Yakatomi Building, and for a second I thought she said Nakatomi, and now I want Die Hard with Daredevil and Elektra

Grey Ghost on
    S2E3

The idea that we have a tv show where a WHOLE EPISODE is 2 vigilantes discussing their reasons for doing what they do is so damned cool

Christ

Punisher is an absolute monster

• masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Christ

Punisher is an absolute monster
    There's a reason that a comic book arc included Frank Castle as a literal reanimated undead monster and it actually worked

His worst/best quality is without a doubt his persistence

ending of ep 3
    holy SHIT this fight

Jimothy wrote: »

yyyyyeah I think that might have gotten written out because he 100% was

General-ish spoilers
    Melvin
    Melvin isn't mentally handicapped per-se, but he has mental problems. In the comics he's alternated between hallucinations and complete mental breakdown. I'm hesitantly excited with how hard they're pushing his alter ego, the villain Gladiator.

This episode I'm watching is directed by Andy Goddard

Coincidence, poorly thought out pseudonym, or brother with uncreative parents?

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    ending of ep 3
    holy SHIT this fight

Yeah, that's all I really have to say about that part too.

Also end of ep3
    I'm guessing he won't be wearing it on his shirt, but I think the x-ray is a neat way of having the Punisher symbol in the show. And I guess Frank has survived being shot in the head.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    "Just... be careful."

"You don't get to say that!"

The new mask seems to fit his face way better

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I gotta say, some of the writing and the plotting seems a lot more... suspect, this time around

Like (spoilers up to episode five)
    this whole thing starts because this guy who survives a massacre immediately goes to these two poor-ass lawyers as opposed to the police? I mean it turns out yeah that was probably smart because the DA immediately uses him as bait for the Punisher, but that guy wouldn't know that!

further, the black cop they press for information basically gives them information because Matt says... he already knows that a guy was wearing body armor? and then later on he lets Daredevil go because... Daredevil told him to take the credit for it? And the ADA gives Karen a bunch of files because... his boss might theoretically throw him under the bus maybe?? And then the guys in the ER stop fighting because Foggy gives a speech that takes the long way around to "there's cops right there and you'll go to jail forever if you fight now" as if these guys didn't already know that!

Like some of these character motivations almost seem almost like non-sequiturs to move the plot along

I even thought "how does she know that x-ray is frank???" until I thought about it and well, I guess it had to be because it was for a John Doe and it was an x-ray, and everything else in that file would have been a corpse with a name attached I guess (though that leads her to a guy who's a janitor now who used to be a nurse I guess? who took Frank home and presumably smuggled him out of the hospital because he told him to?? even though he knew that would cost him his job??? huh???)

Anyway, show's alright, pacing feels a bit weird and writing seems off but the fight choreography is arguably better than ever. All the fights with Frank have been spectacular so far. The sequence from episode three doesn't top the hallway fight (it's a bit less artful I think and it obviously cuts in several places) but it's still a fucking incredible fight sequence with a ton of really creative choreography, so I don't fault it one bit

Oh and one last thing: I did not expect this season to somehow be even more explicitly violent last season, but boy they do not cut away at all, even when someone has a shotgun pointed at another guy's face

That face was just gone

It was awesome

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Episode 2
    Karen's smirk as Foggy railroads the DA is delightful