As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mass Effect - 8 days until you already know what happens from the spoilers you read

• GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Klyka wrote: »
    Thread title should be "13 days until we exist in parallel dimensions"
    That's not a quote. Not a quote at all.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm debating buying two copies of this game so I can have one to sleep with.

Seriously, that is an AWESOME feature.

Now you've made me think of a Saren plushie. And I can't decide if that would be awesome or really, really weird.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Goomba wrote: »
    Klyka wrote: »
    Thread title should be "13 days until we exist in parallel dimensions"
    That's not a quote. Not a quote at all.

I think that thread title would suit the new info.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It's an amazing feature, but it kind of irked and worried me to read the description of "light side" and "dark side" characters.

Grid System on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    I think that is a sideeffect of the thing being a trilogy. Im sure they have shown at some point that the character creation isnt creating a character but recovering data files, so for the first game no files can be found cause you have no saves, but in ME2 it will load your character from ME1 and you start that game with a premade.

But this is actually two different saves. A character save and a progress/location save.

Do we know we're playing Shepard in ME2?

captaink on
    edited November 2007
    Yep.

Grid System on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    The problem with KOTOR is that while being dark side gives you some of the better powers and lets you do some cool things, most of the story can only be unlocked by being nice to people and being a douche gets you nowhere. This seems to fix that.

DarkWarrior on
    edited November 2007
    I'm waiting to see the thing that's going to make me dislike this game. I know it's there just waiting to peek out and shit all over my face.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm waiting to see the thing that's going to make me dislike this game. I know it's there just waiting to peek out and shit all over my face.

It's actually set during the Crusades and the sci-fi part is just a simulation

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

I'm sure you will find something to bitch abo- I mean.... dislike.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    edited November 2007
    mojojoeo wrote: »

I mean, the most that I've found is that the graphics are perfect. Like the armor is mirrored so scratches on one side are exactly the same as the scratches on the other side.

But I doubt that'll come up when I play it at all.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

I mean, the most that I've found is that the graphics are perfect. Like the armor is mirrored so scratches on one side are exactly the same as the scratches on the other side.

I did not know that... that is kinda lame. Any explaination for it? Why did the make armor that way?

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »

iceburn.gif

The_Scarab on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »

Dammit! Why can't they just make a fucking science fiction game anymore?

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I don't even know why I bother torturing myself with fantasies about this when it's not coming to the PC, either ever or more likely not for a few years, but I can't help speculating. One of my beefs with games is that those tough moral choices generally aren't so tough. One of the gameplay videos for Mass Effect (the one highlighting conversations I think) features (TINY TINY TINY SPOILER):
    You and whatshisface (the Spectre/Specter/whatever guy who looks like Saren but isn't evil) arguing about rescuing some miners. He wants to ignore them and go focus on the main objective, recovering some nuke, and you get to choose whether you want to go out of your way and try to save them, or just get the nuke.

In just about every video game, if you make the "good guy" choice you can be 99% sure that you'll both
    save the miners and get the nuke back

because otherwise it'd be game over or whatever. This is dumb because it's never really a difficulty choice. You can have the best of both worlds: be a good guy but still accomplish the objective. It would be nice if sometimes you can't do both: winning requires you to make tough choices, and sometimes things go wrong. I think The Witcher does this but I haven't played it, and some games do it once or twice, but I think that's one of the biggest immersion breakers for something like KOTOR or Bioshock, where you know the game is going to be winnable even if you ignore everyone's advice and try to save the world two times over.

TychoCelchuuu on
    edited November 2007
    edit: lol double post

TychoCelchuuu on
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Che (formerly of 1UP, now works from Turn 10) posted his mini-review on GAF
    If I had to rate the different aspects of the game, I would put it in this order:

1). Story/characters
    -- both of these play into each other and combined makes Mass Effect one of the most immersive RPGs ever made -- and think about it, RPGs are many things but they're not typically "immersive" like an action shooter. The characters are quite memorable, especially your own party, who do offer up exchanges with each other at random moments, but mostly when you're in elevators for some reason. But when it happens, it's pure gold.

I'm at the 23 or so hour mark and I'm still pretty obsessed. The story is very well done, although there is the occasional melodrama that doesn't quite click (actually, I'm only really referring to one scene in particular that was like suddenly seeing B movie quality acting and lamenting in what's been so far a triple-A experience -- I dunno, some of you may not have a problem with it).

There is so much rich characterization and dialogue and exposition in this game. Bioware is really not afraid of giving you a ton of backstory (all of it is optional, and if you do explore the satisfyingly meaty dialogue trees, you gain a small amount of XP as incentive) to a very interesting universe. There is so much I could say here, but it's hard without giving up some spoilers so I'll refrain.

2). Graphics and ambience (including soundtrack) -- The graphics continue to be fucking insanely next-gen, despite occasional problems with slowdown and tearing, something Gears of War didn't really have much of a problem with if memory serves correct.

One thing to note is that I am playing Mass Effect off a "green disc", which is a pre-retail DVD that is sent to journalists. Green discs load much slower than retail discs and they have contributed to some of the jerkiness I've experienced. We ran into the same problem with the greens we sent out for Forza 2 as well, to the point where we actually considered sending them discs they can install to their debug HDDs.

Anyway, the game is jaw-droppingly gorgeous, and like I said in my earlier posts, you really can't do the sort of ambitious space opera type of scripts (where you're staring at character's faces all day while they emote) without really good graphics that can express subtle emotion.

Another really nice thing about Mass Effect, and still amazing to me when I think about it is the fact that all of you will have a vastly different image of the game in your mind, simply based on your custom avatar charater's face. You do spend a lot of time staring at it, so my advice is to create a face you really like and one that you would like to see in an epic sci-fi movie or serial.

Personally, I really like my character Mako and when I think Mass Effect, I see Mako's face in my mind, much like others would see Master Chief or Sam Fischer's face in their mind when they think Halo 3 and Splinter Cell.

It's too bad the cover art for Mass Effect is so generic in terms of the leading character. He's just such a square-jawed Biff-type. In reality, the game, both visually and narratively, allows you so much leeway for customization, it makes the cover sleeve a little misleading. In fact, when I saw it earlier in this thread, it was almost jarring for me because that's not the Mass Effect I'm currently experiencing.

3). Combat System
    -- This aspect of the game will definitely be the most controversial. To put it in very rough terms, the action-oriented combat system in Mass Effect (and yes, it's very fast, very chaotic, and sometimes very unforgiving) is more fun, and works better than say, the melee (or ranged) combat system of Oblivion.

Strip away the stats and powers and modifiers and you've got a 3rd person shooter a la GRAW and it's pretty fun. Add in all the customization you can do and the character stats/evolution and party management/pausing action and you've got a pretty unique marriage of KOTOR and something like Gears of War (it's pretty obvious Bioware played a ton of Gears).

Right now, I'm playing a soldier class, and since I did quite a lot of "grinding" (i.e., random exploration of planets and leveling up by finding loot or killing enemies), my character is pretty handy with guns, allowing me to engage combat more like a straight shooter affair (take cover, pop out, fire off a volley, throw grenades). Meanwhile, I've got 2 "biotic" experts who use decent pistols but they're deadly with all these crazy powers. As soon as we get into a skirmish, these biotic guys are lifting fools and throwing them across the room and casting gravitational blackholes, etc. Anyway, the combo works.

There are two negatives about combat so far -- one of them you can workaround and the other doesn't happen that often but it's definitely noticeable.

First of all, since there's really no slowing down time or anything, combat is fast and furious and you will die often if you get gangbanged from all sides while your shields are down. This isn't that big a deal since, like a good shooter, every time you reload the game, the action happens differently and you learn various tactics depending on the layout of the room/environs to not get caught with your pants down again. The important thing to do is to save often -- as often as you would in any PC shooter or RPG. The other more annoying aspect of combat is the occasional framerate chug when the action gets insane, like there are 8-10 guys shooting you in the room, and your biotic characters are lifting enemies and furniture and all sorts of crap into the air with these crazy plasma effects AND you're firing like crazy, trying to survive. If you're a framerate whore, consider this your warning.

Anyway, I'm going to get back to the game now. It says volumes about the game at 23 hours in when I've got an unopened copy of COD4 on my desk and have no real desire to turn off Mass Effect.

Sounds fucking great, except for the framerate drops. But whatever.

edit - Also,
    The friendly AI is adequate -- again, they will get raped if you send them into a horde with fire from all directions, just like you. If I die during an encounter, I reload and take a different approach. Bait the enemies into a narrow corridor where you have some cover and make them come to you, although enemies can be surprisingly smart.

As for the planetary exploration -- there are "plot" planets and then there are just either random planets or sidequest planets. Plot planets are elaborate set pieces with lots to do and lots of folks to talk to (and lots of combat too), whereas sidequest or random planets are almost always huge desolate (but atmospheric and at times a little unnerving) places with usually one or a handful of outposts to explore (and they usually pack a lot of good loot) with some combat to boot. Vehicular combat is surprisingly satisfying (zoom in on some dude and blast him with your Scorpion Tank-like cannon) and there's enough of it sprinkled throughout.

As for the number of these random planets... I have no idea. I have spent 10+ hours visiting random places (basically the equivalent of doing sidequests and "grinding") and I probably visited maybe 15% of the systems out there. In terms of how many planets you can actually land on, a rough estimate could be 20 or more. I honestly have no idea. It's probably not as much as some of you are fantasizing it to be, but then again, there's definitely enough here to pull off the illusion.

bruin on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007

THAT'S IT I'M CANCELLING MY PRE-ORDER

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited November 2007
    I want real tough choices.
    I hear you, man. However, I think it would be incredibly frustrating if random "good" choices wound up leading to Game Over situations. There you are, presented with what you would think are two or even three different paths, and you invest anywhere from 15 minutes to a few hours going down that path only to find out that it dead-ends. That's not fun.

I think games just need to make doing the right thing harder sometimes, and make doing the wrong thing really rewarding (in the short term at least) sometimes. Like, you choose to save the miners, but that means using up a bunch of your valuable medpacks or something, and you come out of it with low health and a major bass to deal with.

Also, damn that review makes exploration sound awesome. Do we know if there's any randomization in the non-plot areas? Or will they always have the same stuff in the same places?

Grid System on
    edited November 2007
    It's just a guess, but from what we've been shown, you can be a "bad guy" and still get the job done. I assume that you can be a good guy and miss out on some stuff. At least I'm hoping for that.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    I think I am going to be unoriginal and make my first run through using my Mal Reynolds character.

Sole survivor...looks normal and cocky enough on the outside except for the haunted eyes...

"When I start fighting a war, ill' guarantee youll' see somethin' new"

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
    edited November 2007
    It's just a guess, but from what we've been shown, you can be a "bad guy" and still get the job done. I assume that you can be a good guy and miss out on some stuff. At least I'm hoping for that.

The ideal solution is just that - to have parallel plotlines for the choice which are equal in content and quality. That way, yes, you're missing out on the other line, but you're compensated for it fairly.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
    edited November 2007
    arod_77 wrote: »
    I think I am going to be unoriginal and make my first run through using my Mal Reynolds character.

Sole survivor...looks normal and cocky enough on the outside except for the haunted eyes...

Okay, but on your second playthrough you have to be Jayne.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Has there been any information and/or images of the Batarians? Many of them play an important part in the novel, and they are referenced in the Xenological Threat article from Kotaku, but they don't have their own entry. Then again, neither do the Krogan. But given that the Batarians are supposed to be one of the Alliance's most open rivals, I would like to know more about them.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
    edited November 2007
    Batarians are not in the game at all.

Grid System on
    edited November 2007
    darleysam wrote: »

And you have to always wear your helmet, even if it makes you look like an idiot.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Which is pretty ridiculous, considering it's a common race in the game universe. It just seems really odd to exclude an entire race just because. They've been very frank about the Batarians exclusion from the game, but I never understood why. Just make a model and put it in the game somewhere; you don't even have to be able to talk to them. It just seems really weird and out of place that they're not in there.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
    edited November 2007
    darleysam wrote: »

And you have to always wear your helmet, even if it makes you look like an idiot.

And yet somehow make the look work.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • ThreelemmingsThreelemmings Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I hear you, man. However, I think it would be incredibly frustrating if random "good" choices wound up leading to Game Over situations. There you are, presented with what you would think are two or even three different paths, and you invest anywhere from 15 minutes to a few hours going down that path only to find out that it dead-ends. That's not fun.

I think games just need to make doing the right thing harder sometimes, and make doing the wrong thing really rewarding (in the short term at least) sometimes. Like, you choose to save the miners, but that means using up a bunch of your valuable medpacks or something, and you come out of it with low health and a major bass to deal with.

Also, damn that review makes exploration sound awesome. Do we know if there's any randomization in the non-plot areas? Or will they always have the same stuff in the same places?

I think they really are going for a hard line approach; where your choices truly mean something.
    in Tycho's example, if you do go for the nuke, I wouldn't be surprised if the miners end up dying without giving you a chance to save both.

Threelemmings on
    edited November 2007
    Cherrn wrote: »

Which is pretty ridiculous, considering it's a common race in the game universe. It just seems really odd to exclude an entire race just because. They've been very frank about the Batarians exclusion from the game, but I never understood why. Just make a model and put it in the game somewhere; you don't even have to be able to talk to them. It just seems really weird and out of place that they're not in there.
    I agree. It's odd to go through the trouble of talking about and expanding on the Volus or the Hanar, but completely leave out the race that is supposed to be the Alliance's most serious adversary. Perhaps they'll play a more important role in the episodic content (are they still planning to do that?) and/or sequels.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    edited November 2007
    I thought that they got fucked up just a few years ago. I could be wrong, though.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Cherrn wrote: »

I agree. It's odd to go through the trouble of talking about and expanding on the Volus or the Hanar, but completely leave out the race that is supposed to be the Alliance's most serious adversary. Perhaps they'll play a more important role in the episodic content (are they still planning to do that?) and/or sequels.

They were the Alliance's most open rival. 18 years have passed since then.

I was never under the impression that the batarians were some major race. They were just trying to settle the same area of space that the humans were, which led to conflict.

The volus and the hanar have a sizable presence on the Citadel. There's no saying that the batarians do and the volus and hanar are, most likely, more important to galactic politics than the batarians would ever, ever be.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited November 2007
    I thought that they got fucked up just a few years ago. I could be wrong, though.
    Ah, really? Well, that might explain why we don't see any of them. But then why would the Kotaku article's entry on Turians say, "While the Batarians are more openly hostile, they are a second-rate power." I mean, if they've been gang-banged to the point that they're a non-factor, why mention them?

Maybe I'm just being a pissant.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The answer is obvious - Bioware's employees are racist against the Batarians. That kind of behavior is unacceptable. A class action lawsuit is in serious order.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    edited November 2007

I think they really are going for a hard line approach; where your choices truly mean something.
    in Tycho's example, if you do go for the nuke, I wouldn't be surprised if the miners end up dying without giving you a chance to save both.

Right, but if you save the
    miners
    , are you still able to recover the
    nuke
    ? Because if you are, that's not really a choice. You can be an ass and
    let the miners die
    , or you can be an angel and save everyone and make everyone happy. The choice is between whether you want to be awesome or a jerk, whereas in a game like Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines or (maybe?) The Witcher, you're faced with choices where you can't make everyone happy.

TychoCelchuuu on
    edited November 2007

Right, but if you save the
    miners
    , are you still able to recover the
    nuke
    ? Because if you are, that's not really a choice. You can be an ass and
    let the miners die
    , or you can be an angel and save everyone and make everyone happy. The choice is between whether you want to be awesome or a jerk, whereas in a game like Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines or (maybe?) The Witcher, you're faced with choices where you can't make everyone happy.

You seem to be missing the point of the whole thing.

First off, there was no nuke.
    Second of all, the whole interaction's choice was choosing how to deal with your squadmate. How you react to them and whether you choose to put them in back in their place or agree with them or try to reason with them, they'll respond differently and it can change how they feel about you.

And BioWare has stated that you will be faced with hard choices this time, at any rate. They've used examples where you're going to have to decide who lives and who dies and what you might think sounds like the best idea, might actually end up killing the most people.

Whether that's true or not, we'll have to wait and see.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Heh, Pancake, I was playing Gears last night as well. That's funny. Anything to fill the gap, eh?

Houn on
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited November 2007
    Tell me this isn't a hard goddamned choice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMRi8tYYnEs

Knob on
    edited November 2007
    Pancake wrote: »
    Second of all, the whole interaction's choice was choosing how to deal with your squadmate. How you react to them and whether you choose to put them in back in their place or agree with them or try to reason with them, they'll respond differently and it can change how they feel about you.
    If that's true, then I wonder if your options would be different if you had Kaiden instead of Garrus, or Liara instead of Ashley.

Grid System on
    edited November 2007
    Pancake wrote: »
    If that's true, then I wonder if your options would be different if you had Kaiden instead of Garrus, or Liara instead of Ashley.

Considering that different squadmates are their own people and have different opinions and beliefs, I'd imagine that the options either would be different or absent depending on who it is as they'll react differently to the situation. And Ashley probably wouldn't argue that Kaiden just wants to ignore the miners because they're human or some such thing.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
This discussion has been closed.