As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Salt and Sanctuary: A 2D Dark Souls type game thing.

Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
edited March 2016 in Social Entropy++
Salt and Sanctuary

It's a game for the PS4 that came out on March 15, 2016

It was made by Ska Studios

"Salt and Sanctuary seamlessly combines fast, brutal, and complex 2D combat with richly developed RPG mechanics. Discover, craft, and upgrade over 600 weapons, armor pieces, spells, and items as you explore a cursed realm of forgotten cities, blood-soaked dungeons, desecrated monuments, and the fallen lords they once celebrated."

This is a Souls game down to its core. Character customization, unforgiving gameplay, resource loss at death, traps that will instantly kill you, punishing bosses, etc...

The main difference is this is a 2D side scrolling action game so it's basically a SOULS METROIDVANIA with a kickass skill tree!!!

I know people here like Giant Bomb so here is their Quick Look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDAVitoJBig

I just started playing it today and it feels a lot like a Souls game.

It's very fun and it has multiplayer but I haven't looked into it yet.

Let's talk about it!

Raijin Quickfoot on

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    The multiplayer is apparently local coop?

Also I love this game so far

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I thought this thread title was what you had finally decided to name your kid

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I thought this thread title was what you had finally decided to name your kid

I would never make a thread specifically about my kid's name.

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    How many Pom Pom Beanies can I collect in this game, Raijin?

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Hermano wrote: »

I just started but I'm sure at least...500.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I don't know man, Temple is a pretty great name for a kid

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular

O-oh

That's very tempting

PSN- AHermano
  • Options

O-oh

That's very tempting

Tempted by your own question.

• Options
    Just got to the first boss aaaaaaaaaaaand... Died.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    PS4?! Pft. Looks cool though.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    JebusUD wrote: »
    PS4?! Pft. Looks cool though.

Cooler than you, that's for sure

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Binged a fair bit of this today.

This game is real good.

broken image link
  • Options
    I beat the mad alchemist on my first try.

This game is fun

• Options
    I've still only beaten the first boss but I've been grinding salt like crazy and I have myself up to level 22.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    I've still only beaten the first boss but I've been grinding salt like crazy and I have myself up to level 22.

Man I don't think I'm even at level 22 yet.

The second boss might end up being pretty easy for you.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Uriel wrote: »

I play this game like I play Souls games... I'm terrified of losing progress so I'm constantly afraid to move too far forward.

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »

I play this game like I play Souls games... I'm terrified of losing progress so I'm constantly afraid to move too far forward.

It's cool.

I just beat the 4th boss
    The False Jester

I got enough salt from that to go from where I was (Level 20) to level 24.

This greatsword is real good.

• Options
    What class did you start as? I went Knight but I was real tempted by Chef.

• Options
    Chef seems cool. I dig the hat.

I started Knight too.

Right now I'm using some mix and matched armor (two pieces of raiders gear 2 pieces of chain gear) the greatsword you can get near the beginning, sometimes 2handed sometimes with a that Tartus shield or whatever it is called. I also have a greathammer that does way more damage (like 80 attack) but can currently only hold it in both hands so I use it kinda rarely.

• Options
    I got a kick ass helmet drop but I need level 3 Plate to be able to wear it and I only have level 2 right now.

• Options
    Yeah I only have class 1 heavy armor still myself, haven't found much in the way of heavier stuff yet so haven't upgraded that direction.

Mostly been focusing on damage output and carry capacity anyway, that way I just try to avoid most attacks and deal plenty of damage when I can poke.

The jester was tricky because he really punishes you for trying to get away from him, gotta stick in close like in bloodborne.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Too bad this isn't yet out on PC, would be great to bridge the gap until Dark Souls 3

• Options
    I made it to the castle of storms.

apparently the real salt starts here.

• Options
    How long is this game? I should Google it.

• Options
    How long is this game? I should Google it.

Looking at a list of areas and bosses it looks like it's pretty long.

I don't even know if I'm about a 4th in.

• Options
    Beat the second boss!

• Options
    I killed a dragon.

Wasn't no big thing, just hit it with my hammer a bunch.

(Fire does a lot of damage though ouch.)

Now I have the wall jump

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    I transmuted my Magic-scaling greatsword to a Magic-scaling greatscissor.

It's heavy attack is now splitting the blade down the middle and cutting enemies like they're paper.

This game's pretty rad.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    I'm not sure of the boss order but I beat the Queen of Smiles yesterday then stumbled unprepared onto some Alchemy guy boss and died.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Oh this is a salt and sanctuary thread

That is a terrible title

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Oh this is a salt and sanctuary thread

That is a terrible title

You're a terrible title!

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    So this happened to me during a boss fight, spoiling it for the sake of not spoiling its weakness.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I'm not sure of the boss order but I beat the Queen of Smiles yesterday then stumbled unprepared onto some Alchemy guy boss and died.

that is the next boss after her yes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Balefuego wrote: »

Mainly I want sure if she was second or he was.

• Options
    I think SaS is about 25-30 hours long, for anyone curious. I seem to have had a whole "come face me" moment by what seems like the final boss.

Not bad for 18 bucks.

• Options
    Balefuego wrote: »

Mainly I want sure if she was second or he was.

Being a Soulslike, there's a fair bit of freedom to the order in which you tackle bosses.

broken image link
  • Options
    Disembowelled Husk
    certainly doesn't mess around.

broken image link
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Apparently, PC is coming later.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Disembowelled Husk
    certainly doesn't mess around.

He seemed scary at first but once I figured him out it wasn't that bad:
    I would suggest using a shield, that way you can block the gunshot. And when he does the bombardment just get away from him, it actually only hits a very small portion of the room around him.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    I can tell this is a Souls game because I love the aesthetics, I love the game play, and I have a ton of fun playing it.

But I also SUUUUCK at it.