As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Magic: the Gathering] Uguu~~ The Spiwit Dwagon

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'm thinking of selling off some (or perhaps even most) of my collection, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions in that regards?

I mean, I've done the usual cursory Google'ing, read people discussing doing so via eBay, site buylists, going to a GP (there's one somewhat nearby next month), local listings, etc, but I thought I'd ask the forums as well.

It's... hefty. Like, all told, it's easily tens of thousands of cards. 3 giant multi-column boxes, 3 binders, another medium sized box, and maybe a dozen fat pack boxes full, and that's before accounting for the 18 sleeved EDH decks sitting in 6 more fat pack boxes.

I'm starting with the organizing, to at least get an accounting of what I do own. I've pulled aside a full Fat Pack Box worth of land that I'm going to donate to my local game store, as I know stores that run tournaments are almost always looking for land, and I don't care about getting $5 or whatever for it in a sale.

For the really choice items, I may end up on eBay. Stuff like a few full sets I have may also go there; Ice Age and some shitty ones like Homelands/Fallen Empires, The Dark, whereas ones like Alliances and Unglued I'll have to weigh out full set versus just saving myself the trouble and parceling off the individual choice items (Force of Will and full art lands, etc).

Then it's just piles of C/U/R/M. Obviously the chaff I won't worry much about. Even sold by the foot, I doubt I'd get much out of it, but admittedly I'm a bit wary of relying so heavily on eBay that an unscrupulous buyer or two make it more of a headache than it's worth. Aside from the Force (I think it's just one) and some stuff I'll probably keep in my built EDH decks, it's mostly about clearing out some space and recouping a little cash. I love the game, but I'm just not interested in going to stores to play random people, so it's slowly become less of a priority to have it laying around 'just in case'.

Thoughts? I suspect I'll be putting hours in over the next few weeks to get it all figured out, so it's not a particularly time sensitive matter.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    I'm thinking of selling off some (or perhaps even most) of my collection, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions in that regards?

My usual advice here is "don't; you'll regret it when you inevitably get back into it."

Failing that, talk to your FLGS if you have one about taking the bulk stuff off your hands.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

My usual advice here is "don't; you'll regret it when you inevitably get back into it."

Failing that, talk to your FLGS if you have one about taking the bulk stuff off your hands.

I very much regret selling my collection.

Started setting up a R/B Boggart Auntie edh deck on tapped out. 59 cards over so far. So hard to cut stuff, so much of it looks like fun to use.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Yeah I hear LOTS of stories about people selling their collection because they were done with Magic... then inevitably getting sucked back later on and regretting it.

BUT if you're insistant on offloading them might I suggest a Charity I know of? It's called Gamers Helping APODs. It's a really good group. You just send all the cards to me and I'll make sure they go to needy APODs.

• KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    BR Devoid Aggro, after rotation. Not sure if the deck is there with stuff like Wasteland Stranglers as decent body plus removal etc (cheap, reliable exile is the domain of White, not black or red).

The hard part is knowing what to leave out. Reader Drones are in, obviously, and probably some number of Sludge Crawlers (mostly for ingest to fuel Stranglers). Bearer of Silence is Dominator Drone and Vile Aggregate are also in, though I think Aggregate is better in RU for the scion generation. Flayer Drones, in. Nettle Drone? Dust Stalker? Thought-Knot? Reality Smasher?

The removal isn't great, which is surprising. Transgress the Mind looks like it's needed for early exile.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
    Kay wrote: »
    (cheap, reliable exile is the domain of White, not black or red).

With enough cheap ingest guys (which you have) and removal to clear their path you'll be fine.

If you can manage colorless mana you also have access to Warping Wail but I think that might be asking too much on an aggro manabase.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    That's the thing, the removal isn't so good for BR after rotation in constructed.

Grasp of Darkness, Ultimate Price, Touch of the Void...

ew9y0DD.png
    That's the thing, the removal isn't so good for BR after rotation in constructed.

...plus whatever SoI brings to the table. You can't evaluate "after rotation" without considering the ins as well as the outs.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular

With the loss of Khans and FRF, Ultimate price is a million times better than it is now.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated

With the loss of Khans and FRF, Ultimate price is a million times better than it is now.

It still doesn't hit anything with devoid, but yeah.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    True, true, but I think it gets a lot better still. SoI is bound to have plenty of mono-colored bombs.

edited March 2016
    On the subject of SoI and bombs, I find the rules changes to DFCs interesting. Well, really only one of them because the others are just corner-case obscura, but the back sides having the same CMC as the front side is a dramatic change. I wonder if Ratchet Bomb is being reprinted in the set or something, because I bet having a colorless card that would otherwise read "kill all transformed cards" would be a little strong in limited.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular

I mean, I've done the usual cursory Google'ing, read people discussing doing so via eBay, site buylists, going to a GP (there's one somewhat nearby next month), local listings, etc, but I thought I'd ask the forums as well.

It's... hefty. Like, all told, it's easily tens of thousands of cards. 3 giant multi-column boxes, 3 binders, another medium sized box, and maybe a dozen fat pack boxes full, and that's before accounting for the 18 sleeved EDH decks sitting in 6 more fat pack boxes.

I'm starting with the organizing, to at least get an accounting of what I do own. I've pulled aside a full Fat Pack Box worth of land that I'm going to donate to my local game store, as I know stores that run tournaments are almost always looking for land, and I don't care about getting $5 or whatever for it in a sale.

For the really choice items, I may end up on eBay. Stuff like a few full sets I have may also go there; Ice Age and some shitty ones like Homelands/Fallen Empires, The Dark, whereas ones like Alliances and Unglued I'll have to weigh out full set versus just saving myself the trouble and parceling off the individual choice items (Force of Will and full art lands, etc).

Then it's just piles of C/U/R/M. Obviously the chaff I won't worry much about. Even sold by the foot, I doubt I'd get much out of it, but admittedly I'm a bit wary of relying so heavily on eBay that an unscrupulous buyer or two make it more of a headache than it's worth. Aside from the Force (I think it's just one) and some stuff I'll probably keep in my built EDH decks, it's mostly about clearing out some space and recouping a little cash. I love the game, but I'm just not interested in going to stores to play random people, so it's slowly become less of a priority to have it laying around 'just in case'.

Thoughts? I suspect I'll be putting hours in over the next few weeks to get it all figured out, so it's not a particularly time sensitive matter.

If you find an efficient way, I would love to hear it. I have been attempting to get rid of my collection since future sight. I haven't played a game of magic since regionals that year, and it the piles of cards are just taking up too much space. Spent a long time putting things into binders by block (mostly) and then anything potentially valuable elsewhere but short of just dragging a truckload of stuff to the nearest SCG event and getong what I presume will be Gamestop level prices I haven't found a good option. Craigslist/eBay don't really seem to be effective at this point. I guess I could offload the high end stuff and then just donate the rest.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    As I said, I've got 18 EDH decks built, and probably won't be leaning towards selling those off. I could see myself maybe snagging some cheap new cards online now and then in the future to update them, but I haven't bought cards in years, haven't played more than once or twice a year for maybe half a decade. I'm not looking to zero myself out, just moving some of the chaff and excess. Stuff that may have value, but not sitting in a bin in my closet for years on end. With the years and money spent on the decks, I'll probably hold onto those at least a little longer.

Obviously the random crap I won't worry much about, the bulk would either go the easiest path, I'm not going to spend hours milking extra pennies out of this.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Aktn BstrdAktn Bstrd Registered User regular
    I am going to get back into magic after not playing for ~8 years. I sold off all of my card apart from a few older decks last year. My local card shop is starting a pauper game. Because it is so cheap to get into, and the fact that I have no cards, I went ahead and ordered the cards to make a Delver deck.

I used some decks that I saw online and modified them slightly. If cloud of faeries wasn't banned I would make an esper familiar deck because reasons.

I'm going to run:
    20 Creatures
    4 spellstutter sprite
    4 faerie miscreants
    4 ninja of the deep hours
    4 delver of secrets
    4 spire golem

22 Spells
    4 counterspells
    2 vapor snag
    4 preordain
    4 snaps
    4 mana leak
    4 ponder

1 Artifact
    1 bonesplitter

Lands
    17 islands

Thoughts, advice, recommendations?

I just realized that I didn't order Delver of Secrets... I accidentally ordered ludevic's test subject... damnit I will miss the pauper games for another week.

Aktn Bstrd wrote: »
    I am going to get back into magic after not playing for ~8 years. I sold off all of my card apart from a few older decks last year. My local card shop is starting a pauper game. Because it is so cheap to get into, and the fact that I have no cards, I went ahead and ordered the cards to make a Delver deck.

I used some decks that I saw online and modified them slightly. If cloud of faeries wasn't banned I would make an esper familiar deck because reasons.

I'm going to run:
    20 Creatures
    4 spellstutter sprite
    4 faerie miscreants
    4 delver of secrets
    4 spire golem

22 Spells
    4 counterspells
    2 vapor snag
    4 preordain
    4 snaps
    4 mana leak
    4 ponder

1 Artifact
    1 bonesplitter

Lands
    17 islands

I just realized that I didn't order Delver of Secrets... I accidentally ordered ludevic's test subject... damnit I will miss the pauper games for another week.

Spire Golem should probably be anything else. Looter il-Kor, or more ninja action with Mistblade Shinobi maybe. I have a similar deck and it really wants a good flow of lands, so I'd recommend dropping Mr. Splitty for another island.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    Vyolynce wrote: »

I'm going to run:
    20 Creatures
    4 spellstutter sprite
    4 faerie miscreants
    4 delver of secrets
    4 spire golem

22 Spells
    4 counterspells
    2 vapor snag
    4 preordain
    4 snaps
    4 mana leak
    4 ponder

1 Artifact
    1 bonesplitter

Lands
    17 islands

Spire Golem should probably be anything else. Looter il-Kor, or more ninja action with Mistblade Shinobi maybe. I have a similar deck and it really wants a good flow of lands, so I'd recommend dropping Mr. Splitty for another island.

I was reading that the Spire Golem can be great because they can block the majority of things that you will come across in pauper. I was thinking that 17 lands would be enough almost everything has a casting cost of U or UU. Looter il-Kor and Mistblade Shinobi are both very nice. I really like the ninjitsu ability, that came after I quit playing before. Hmm... once the cards arrive I will test to see if I have mana problems. I will definitely drop bonesplitter if I am having problems.

edited March 2016
    I was reading that the Spire Golem can be great because they can block the majority of things that you will come across in pauper. I was thinking that 17 lands would be enough almost everything has a casting cost of U or UU. Looter il-Kor and Mistblade Shinobi are both very nice. I really like the ninjitsu ability, that came after I quit playing before. Hmm... once the cards arrive I will test to see if I have mana problems. I will definitely drop bonesplitter if I am having problems.

This deck doesn't want to block. It wants to get in evasive hits and counter or bounce things before they need to be blocked. Spire Golem is fine, but will cost you three mana (admittedly dwindling down to zero as you find more lands), not U or UU. Stuff him in the sideboard by all means, although be aware that if you're up against forests (and/or eldrazi tokens) that there are common 8/8s and worse out there that will just laugh at him.

And you're not JUST spending U or UU on a given turn. You're casting a creature and/or a card draw spell and/or using Ninjutsu in addition to wanting to keep mana up for counters and bouncing. This deck is deceptively hungry for mana. Proxy up some Delvers and see for yourself.

I run Gitaxian Probe in mine and it still wants more lands than I have in it. But it's like my 4th-tier deck (behind Orzhov, Affinity, and Burn) so it's not a high priority for me at the moment.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    There are some pauper article series on puremtgo if you wanted some starting points. The online pauper meta varies from paper I think as a result of some thing shifting rarities (hymn to tourach comes to mind). I know spire golem was run before in delver/fairy lists, but that was a while ago and probably to combat specific archtypes. Not sure if it still sees the field.

Okay, thanks for the input. It's been such a long time since I played. I'm glad pauper exists. It is so much cheaper than standard to get into.

I wish I could use my old decks still. I have some great ones... Tradewind riders deck, oath of druids, discard and a few others. No one at my card shop wants to play against them though.

Are there some recommended resources to read up on? I will check out puremtgo.

starcitygames has free articles, but mostly focusing on standard/modern. channel fireball i think is the same way.

while tradewind rider hasn't been competitive in a long time, oath of druids is still seen in vintage games, although probably not the form you may be thinking of when when it actually was available from packs.

• TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Spire Golem is insane and a must-have. You may need another land though, so I would swap out a vapor snag for an island.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Dang. Didn'the realize there was a Grand Prix here in DC last weekend. Now that my son is playing a little, it would have been fun to take him.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    So what's the best place/way to sell Magic cards I'm not going to use? I'm working on something and needed a good variety of generic current staples of all colors and got a deckbuilders toolkit to further round out the stuff I already own but the thing ended up more than paying for itself(and the Oath fatpack I grabbed mainly for the lands) when the one booster of Origins it had landed me a Jace.

I have no plans for playing Standard and don't expect to luck into more Jaces so the best thing I could do is sell it and buy more cards.

I also have a full set of Odyssey from when I played ages ago. Is there much market for that?

(She/Her)
    edited March 2016
    eelektrik wrote: »
    So what's the best place/way to sell Magic cards I'm not going to use? I'm working on something and needed a good variety of generic current staples of all colors and got a deckbuilders toolkit to further round out the stuff I already own but the thing ended up more than paying for itself(and the Oath fatpack I grabbed mainly for the lands) when the one booster of Origins it had landed me a Jace.

I have no plans for playing Standard and don't expect to luck into more Jaces so the best thing I could do is sell it and buy more cards.

I also have a full set of Odyssey from when I played ages ago. Is there much market for that?

Ebay or Craigslist are probably the best for selling. Selling to a card store only nets a percentage of the cards worth in cash depending on their need and they will also do store credit for a higher percentage usually but you can't generally use store credit to buy anything but singles.

Stragint on
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

Does anyone know if there is a way to get an EDH deck made into the large version of the cards? I want my entire deck to be huge.

• Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    There's only a few oversized cards, and I don't think any of them are lands.

Honestly, having your whole deck be oversized cards would be INCREDIBLY obnoxious. Itd be hard for you to hold your hand (and god forbid your running a no limited hand size card and the draw to make it a thing). Plus, from what Ive seen of EDH the board states can get massive and you'd be just taking up a stupidly unfair amount of table real estate. Seems liek a good way to have your play group really hate you and make you a target before the game even begins.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Oh, yay, an excuse to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJGBnZ74PG8

We are all going to do it if we can. Won't just be me.

edited March 2016
    Pretty sure there are actually multiple sizes of oversized cards. I know I had a lotus and juzam that were one size and I think a mountain (mirage art) that was another. Definitely had the mountain but cant recall the size.

Didn't finkel and Garfield do a show match a number of years ago with entirely oversized cards? At a pro tour or something?

WingedWeasel on
    Didn't finkel and Garfield do a show math a number of years ago with entirely oversized cards? At a pro tour or something?

Yeah they've ("they" being "WotC") done that a couple of times in the past IIRC.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Oh, yay, an excuse to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJGBnZ74PG8

LRR is the best

I think I am going to remove the 5 planeswalkers I have in my deck. I can never get their final ability off.

Now I just need to figure out what to add in their place. I might go with more creatures.

Stragint wrote: »
    I think I am going to remove the 5 planeswalkers I have in my deck. I can never get their final ability off.

Now I just need to figure out what to add in their place. I might go with more creatures.

I think you're meant to judge Planeswalker ultimates as 'nice if they go off, but like, look at the other abilities more'.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Just a pity Oath of Gideon can't be played in multiples…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited March 2016

I think you're meant to judge Planeswalker ultimates as 'nice if they go off, but like, look at the other abilities more'.

Yea, I can see that. My planeswalkers have some pretty good stuff getting up to the final. I am currently running Liliana Vess, Liliana, Defiant Necromancer, Chandra, Flamecaller, Sorin Markov, and Ob Nixilis Reignited. I got the defiant necro to 9 last night and then my friend outright killed her.

I am gonna see what 5 creatures I could run instead of those planeswalkers and see if they would fit better and decide what to do.

For reference this is what my EDH deck looks like right now: RBW EDH V2

Stragint on

Yeah, Ults are just gravy on Walkers but should never be the plan.

You judge walkers on the other abilities. The only Walker I've ever seen REGULARLY Ult is Elspeth, Suns Champion but she was A) an insanely good card in Standard and B ) in her Standard, fit perfectly in the best Control deck in the format, which meant the deck could play her and just spend the rest of the game countering, Verdicting, and Rev'ing until she Ultimated - and when she did it was either for lethal or with enough loyalty to live and spew out more tokens.

Yea, I can see that. My planeswalkers have some pretty good stuff getting up to the final. I am currently running Liliana Vess, Liliana, Defiant Necromancer, Chandra, Flamecaller, Sorin Markov, and Ob Nixilis Reignited. I got the defiant necro to 9 last night and then my friend outright killed her.

I am gonna see what 5 creatures I could run instead of those planeswalkers and see if they would fit better and decide what to do.

For reference this is what my EDH deck looks like right now: RBW EDH V2

planeswalkers also have the benefit of eating up damage you would have otherwise taken yourself

9 damage is a good chunk!

• eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I either have horrible luck or just suck at limited deck building. Went to the midnight prerelease for Shadows, only stayed for three of the five rounds after a win, draw, and loss. The win was a first round bye... The set looks awesome so far. Was totally jealous of someone pulling an Arlinn Kord prerelease promo(Mine was a meh Welcome to the Fold). But I did get a couple Mythics in my six packs and The Gitrog Monster makes me want to make a Commander deck with it, if I knew anyone that played Commander.

(She/Her)