As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Superheroes] Superman inadvertently snaps neck of Rotten Tomatoes score.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I bought the Big Hard Sex Criminals hardcover.

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Steve Dillon is a good comic artist.

He's just not generally the right fit for superhero comics. Punisher works though.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    Steve Dillon is a good comic artist.

He's just not generally the right fit for superhero comics. Punisher works though.

Yeah just don't have Dillon draw anything other than Punisher. He did a great job with PunisherMAX.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I disagree

Steve Dillon is a competent artist but a terrible comics artist because his work has absolutely no sense of motion to it and instead of feeling like a flowing story it is just jarring still images arranged into panels

Also all of his male characters have the same ugly face

CYpGAPn.png
    Practically all of the big two comic artists have one male face.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    dillonface was perfect for punishermax, tho

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    you know who drew a good Punisher was Marco Checchetto

A lot of them do but they are usually less blatant and recognizable than he one face Dillon uses for everyone

That shit works for The Punisher

It does not work for Peter Parker

CYpGAPn.png
    What if Peter Parker was just ugly as sin.

aGPmIBD.jpg
    What if Peter Parker was just ugly as sin.
    He canonically isn't!

He's a handsome boy!

CYpGAPn.png
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

If I'm reading that right you're saying that most of the artists at DC and Marvel only have one male face that they draw?
    Which...nope. Spider-Man, Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Woman, Spider-Gwen, ANAD Inhumans, Uncanny inhumans, Thor, Captain Marvel, Web Warriors, Ms Marvel... and those are just the comics I've got next to me at the moment, and all of them have a variety of faces in them for both men and women.

What if Stan Lee was lying to you

aGPmIBD.jpg
    Stan Lee? Lie?

never.

CYpGAPn.png
    khf7yvdgn5au.jpg
    That is not my handsome boy and also The Punisher is Aunt May now

CYpGAPn.png
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

If I'm reading that right you're saying that most of the artists at DC and Marvel only have one male face that they draw?
    Which...nope. Spider-Man, Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Woman, Spider-Gwen, ANAD Inhumans, Uncanny inhumans, Thor, Captain Marvel, Web Warriors, Ms Marvel... and those are just the comics I've got next to me at the moment, and all of them have a variety of faces in them for both men and women.

I'm being a bit glib, but it's definitely better now a days. Especially with the influx of more cartooning. But historically speaking yeah, it's been a huge problem. Arguably more DC, but still both.

aGPmIBD.jpg
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Stan Lee? Lie?

never.

I think I literally heard Jack Kirby moan from beyond the grave.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Steve Dillon was fine for Preacher and Ennis' run on Punisher but even then it's pushing my tolerance for same-face.

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    i feel like steve dillon has some kind of secret real project that takes up all his time, so when he's called up to draw spider-man he just completely phones it in to collect the paycheck and get back to work

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    and also The Punisher is Aunt May now

Go on...

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Dillon wasn't even part of Ennis' best Punisher run

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2016

Go on...

Holy shit. Uncle Ben dies and while Peter becomes Spider-Man, sweet Aunt May decides to take down the kind of scum who killer her husband, so she becomes the Punisher. Story comes to a head when Spider-Man decides to stop the Punisher only to discover it's his Aunt.

Undead Scottsman on
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular

Go on...

Holy shit. Uncle Ben dies and while Peter becomes Spider-Man, sweet Aunt May decides to take down the kind of scum who killer her husband, so she becomes the Punisher. Story comes to a head when Spider-Man decides to stop the Punisher only to discover it's his Aunt.

Yeah I'd read that What If.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    it can be hard to read early miller because the shit he is satirizing in those comics are things he now currently believes

What if he was never actually being satirical at all

BahamutZERO.gif
    edited March 2016
    5epuwebophz0.jpg
    Daredevil, Deadpool and Power Man and Iron Fist are having a 4 issue crossover focusing on Deadpool having to protect a money launderer in the middle of Chinatown

Only the crossover will take place entirely in Deadpool #13 which will be the length of 4 issues and have the "issues" starring Matt, Luke and Danny be written by Charles Soule and David Walker respectively

Huh

All 3 writers say that they want it to be enjoyable entirely on its own and not rely on reading any of the other series beforehand. So it is basically a mini collaborative OGN, it seems.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited March 2016
    Apparently Tom Brevoort confirmed that a Kate Bishop solo series will be happening at some point. It isn't in development right now but a lot of creators have asked about it and he said that if it hasn't debuted by March of next year there will have at least been an announcement.

Also, Brian Bendis is considering returning to Jessica Jones for a new solo book that will likely launch after Civil War 2 has wrapped up, Brevoort says it is even likelier than the Kate Bishop book which was also seemingly confirmed.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I had almost

almost forgotten about that Dillon issue of Spider-Man.

Thank you for reintroducing that delightful memory back into the nightmare portion of my brain.

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    5epuwebophz0.jpg
    Daredevil, Deadpool and Power Man and Iron Fist are having a 4 issue crossover focusing on Deadpool having to protect a money launderer in the middle of Chinatown

Only the crossover will take place entirely in Deadpool #13 which will be the length of 4 issues and have the "issues" starring Matt, Luke and Danny be written by Charles Soule and David Walker respectively

Huh

All 3 writers say that they want it to be enjoyable entirely on its own and not rely on reading any of the other series beforehand. So it is basically a mini collaborative OGN, it seems.

who did the cover on that? I am really liking that art style

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    There is something really wacky going on with Deadpool's leg there but yeah I dig that style too.

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Apparently Tom Brevoort confirmed that a Kate Bishop solo series will be happening at some point. It isn't in development right now but a lot of creators have asked about it and he said that if it hasn't debuted by March of next year there will have at least been an announcement.

Also, Brian Bendis is considering returning to Jessica Jones for a new solo book that will likely launch after Civil War 2 has wrapped up, Brevoort says it is even likelier than the Kate Bishop book which was also seemingly confirmed.

Where the fuck is Death's Head.

• DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Dillon spider-art

Oh god, this is the same guy that did that one Hulk comic awhile ago isn't it?

This is the same goddamn face.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Not to bitch, but I get it Comixology, Daredevil has a new season. I don't need over half the sales to be Daredevil based.

I was super grateful to be able to get caught up on Sex Criminals though - the trades were missing the letters section and they are nearly as good as the book itself.

Is Just the Tips worth buying?

• Bear_thescondBear_thescond Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I started to read a Miller Daredevil trade and it began with Matt accidentally killing a prostitute

I tapped out on that one pretty fast

Spoilers that may make you feel better
    She doesn't die. That prostitute ends up being Typhoid Mary

On one hand, nice Gorillaz shirt

On the other Hahahahahahaha

On the third hand yeah okay that's not that bad

CYpGAPn.png
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Not to bitch, but I get it Comixology, Daredevil has a new season. I don't need over half the sales to be Daredevil based.

I was super grateful to be able to get caught up on Sex Criminals though - the trades were missing the letters section and they are nearly as good as the book itself.

Is Just the Tips worth buying?

I'd say yes, but I'd also want it in physical form

It's more like, a fun coffee table book (that happens to be about fuckin') than like, something you read cover to cover

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

is that supposed to be archie?

Eeeeeh I don't really like that, I dig the comic redesigns but thats real goofy

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group

is that supposed to be archie?

Eeeeeh I don't really like that, I dig the comic redesigns but thats real goofy
    The only really goofy part is his hair and honestly it ain't too far off from shit I saw at that Booze and Pancakes thing I told you about last weekend

CYpGAPn.png
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Well I mean, that's not Archie (on the set). It's just a paparazzi shot of the actor playing Archie after he got his hair dyed

edited March 2016
    Keith wrote: »
    Well I mean, that's not Archie (on the set). It's just a paparazzi shot of the actor playing Archie after he got his hair dyed
    Actually it was taken on their lunch break so that might be his costume and is almost definitely his hair

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    That's a bit of an unflattering shot.

It probably looks better that what we're seeing there.

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Oh well carry on

This discussion has been closed.