As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Superheroes] Superman inadvertently snaps neck of Rotten Tomatoes score.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    "In the tradition of Spider-Gwen, we just made another book out of a pun we came up with in a bar," he said.

God, I am pumped for the Brian Michael Gwendis miniseries.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Rainfall wrote: »
    So I watched Ant-Man, and maybe it's because I'm sick, maybe it's because I'm depressed, but that was the most generic pablum superhero movie I've watched in a long time.
    Baskin Robbins always knows was good, but it was straight downhill from there, the tank was the only clever thing use of powers in the whole thing, and it continually veered wildly between EPIC ADVENTURE and shit comedy, with a small interlude near the end for them to say "love is the only thing that transcends time and space."

All the characters felt like paper thin caricatures, the soundtrack was awful, and almost none of the jokes landed for me. Guardians was better and more fun, really. And I fucking hate Guardians.

I enjoyed it when I saw it, but less when I saw it again. I think it's better than Guardians in that it's an okay but shallow movie with some cool bits as opposed to being just terrible. It's definitely not something I'd really laud the storytelling and characters of, though.

I found Guardians a lot more visually interesting, and they did some really good things with the soundtrack, it was just the writing that infuriated me(oh jeez did it ever.)

Visually, Ant-Man spent too much time on CGI rollercoasters, with only one sequence that was really unique (right near the end) and it's a movie that should have felt really creative and fun with the visuals. The writing was better than Guardians, albeit unpalatably bland.

Since I'm an audiovisual person and writing takes a back seat for me, at least Guardians looked good, and sounded great.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    steve dillon's art really puts me off any book that he's on; it's like fingernails on the chalkboard

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    So I watched Ant-Man, and maybe it's because I'm sick, maybe it's because I'm depressed, but that was the most generic pablum superhero movie I've watched in a long time.
    Baskin Robbins always knows was good, but it was straight downhill from there, the tank was the only clever thing use of powers in the whole thing, and it continually veered wildly between EPIC ADVENTURE and shit comedy, with a small interlude near the end for them to say "love is the only thing that transcends time and space."

All the characters felt like paper thin caricatures, the soundtrack was awful, and almost none of the jokes landed for me. Guardians was better and more fun, really. And I fucking hate Guardians.

I enjoyed it when I saw it, but less when I saw it again. I think it's better than Guardians in that it's an okay but shallow movie with some cool bits as opposed to being just terrible. It's definitely not something I'd really laud the storytelling and characters of, though.

I found Guardians a lot more visually interesting, and they did some really good things with the soundtrack, it was just the writing that infuriated me(oh jeez did it ever.)

Visually, Ant-Man spent too much time on CGI rollercoasters, with only one sequence that was really unique (right near the end) and it's a movie that should have felt really creative and fun with the visuals. The writing was better than Guardians, albeit unpalatably bland.

Since I'm an audiovisual person and writing takes a back seat for me, at least Guardians looked good, and sounded great.

I didn't enjoy the Guardians soundtrack. It did have some really cool costume and set design though.

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    steve dillon's art really puts me off any book that he's on; it's like fingernails on the chalkboard

I put him in a big pile of artists I like a great deal on creator owned books, but I want to stay away from my childhood. I like classical representations of characters I grew up with...but get as crazy as you like when you aren't playing in that particular toybox.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    I'm not even sure how a Spider-Gwen Venom storyline works when Gwen has ready access to people who can tell her the symbiote is a bad idea

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Well it's an alternate universe, so they gotta flip it. The Symbiote will just be a min wage lower class goo blob trying to survive, when suddenly he's possessed by the Gwen

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Symbiotes are a good thing now though!

Like, why wouldn't she want to be like Inter-Galactic Hero Flash Thompson?

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Furu wrote: »
    I'm not even sure how a Spider-Gwen Venom storyline works when Gwen has ready access to people who can tell her the symbiote is a bad idea

If they go with venom being like venom, probably something SHIELD tries to take down Spider-Woman with.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Apparently Tom Brevoort confirmed that a Kate Bishop solo series will be happening at some point. It isn't in development right now but a lot of creators have asked about it and he said that if it hasn't debuted by March of next year there will have at least been an announcement.

Also, Brian Bendis is considering returning to Jessica Jones for a new solo book that will likely launch after Civil War 2 has wrapped up, Brevoort says it is even likelier than the Kate Bishop book which was also seemingly confirmed.

Where the fuck is Death's Head.

A cyborg bounty hunter originally created by Simon Furman and introduced in Marvel's Transformers comics.

More recently, there was a collection of alien robots in Planet Hulk called Death's Heads.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Apparently Tom Brevoort confirmed that a Kate Bishop solo series will be happening at some point. It isn't in development right now but a lot of creators have asked about it and he said that if it hasn't debuted by March of next year there will have at least been an announcement.

Also, Brian Bendis is considering returning to Jessica Jones for a new solo book that will likely launch after Civil War 2 has wrapped up, Brevoort says it is even likelier than the Kate Bishop book which was also seemingly confirmed.

A cyborg bounty hunter originally created by Simon Furman and introduced in Marvel's Transformers comics.

More recently, there was a collection of alien robots in Planet Hulk called Death's Heads.

Also one of Kieron Gillen's favourite characters, so he puts him in a lot of his things.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Where, not what.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Yall really didn't see that he posted "where," not "who" huh

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Can someone explain Gwenpool to me

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    well you see in the olden times, the ancient greeks were too stupid to know how to end plays, so they had to have the gods just come in at the end like "you're done! you're done here! everything that just happened is whatever." they were real dummies, those guys

also Stephen King

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

I don't think any explanation will satisfy, frankly

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

"We are making Gwen-everything, because we can."

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

No it's cool, I just saw that horse move

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular

Marvel is following DC in going all in on one popular thing

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2016

Hey, we're doing a alternate universe spider-man event; let's do a universe where Gwen got bitten by the spider instead of Peter!

Oh shit, that was really popular, lets give her an ongoing.

Hey, it's pretty crazy how Spider-Gwen took off; let's make fun of it with a Deadpool Gwen. Only let's make it even zanier by making her not actually related to Gwen Stacy or Deadpool at all! And instead of breaking the fourth wall, she's from a universe where all the Marvel crap is fictional, so she thinks she can do whatever she wants there and not worry about getting hurt even though she has no actual powers.

Oh shit, that was really popular, lets give her an ongoing.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    This isn't even close to the most over saturated deadpool has been

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    This isn't even close to the most over saturated deadpool has been

Very true

It's starting to feel about as reactionary, though

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Maddoc wrote: »
    well you see in the olden times, the ancient greeks were too stupid to know how to end plays, so they had to have the gods just come in at the end like "you're done! you're done here! everything that just happened is whatever." they were real dummies, those guys

also Stephen King

My favorite example of this

Under the Dome
    Almost the entire town has been killed off by noxious poison stemming from air not getting into the dome. The surviving cast finds the dome generator. Julia Shumway communicates with the aliens children who have placed the dome as a source of entertainment.

She goes, "Please take the dome away."

And they're all, "Nah," and they all wander away except for one.

"Please?" Julia asks again

and the last one shrugs and does it. The end.

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Gwenpool is from an alternate reality as Scottsman mentioned (I can't recall if it was implied to be our reality, but that would make sense). She saw the battle over the Abundant Glove in Howard the Duck and decided she wanted to be a superhero, so she walked into the costume store behind her and had an outfit done up.

She has no actual powers, but she is a fast study, unpredictable and has a remorseless, gleeful approach to violence.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Cooperation furthers mutual goals @Goatmon.
    Warned @Goatmon (0 points for 1 week) for "Kicked from thread: Not welcome"

• Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    It's implied Gwenpool is from the real world but Jordan D. "Wario" White explicitly stated it at C2E2

Furu on
  • Options
    Earth-1218

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    When Warner Bros.' The Flash speeds into theaters in "Justice League Part One," he won't be played by Grant Gustin, who has appeared in the role on The CW's hit television show "The Flash." During an interview with Daily News, director Zack Snyder -- who oversees the development of the expanded DC Cinematic Universe -- explained why Ezra Miller, and not Gustin, will play the Scarlet Speedster.

"I'm very strict with this universe and I just don't see a version where...that [tone is] not our world," Snyder explained.

"Even if Grant Gustin is my favorite guy in the world and he's very good, we made a commitment to the multi-verse (idea), so it's just not a thing that's possible," he added.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    BvS has been getting mostly positive reviews so far.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    When Warner Bros.' The Flash speeds into theaters in "Justice League Part One," he won't be played by Grant Gustin, who has appeared in the role on The CW's hit television show "The Flash." During an interview with Daily News, director Zack Snyder -- who oversees the development of the expanded DC Cinematic Universe -- explained why Ezra Miller, and not Gustin, will play the Scarlet Speedster.

"I'm very strict with this universe and I just don't see a version where...that [tone is] not our world," Snyder explained.

"Even if Grant Gustin is my favorite guy in the world and he's very good, we made a commitment to the multi-verse (idea), so it's just not a thing that's possible," he added.

i keep clicking but there's no spoil-oh

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Eh, that sucks, but it's been known about for a year and a half. The bigger dick move was WB announcing Ezra Miller's casting about a week before the The Flash had it's tv premier.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »

Rotten tomatoes says it has no reviews so far. What are they saying?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular

Rotten tomatoes says it has no reviews so far. What are they saying?

I'm going by Twitter stuff from the premiere. WW being great is a consistent talking point.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular

it's been getting no reviews so far as the embargo doesn't lift until tomorrow

what you're seeing are early impressions which are usually pretty positively skewed

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    There is a batman quote on the rotten tomatoes page for the movie that is the worst thing I've ever read, and I read the webcomics thread

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    There is a batman quote on the rotten tomatoes page for the movie that is the worst thing I've ever read, and I read the webcomics thread

You can't just say stuff like this and not share it with the rest of the class.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

Ahahahaha oh lord

The whole quotes page is horrendous. And those are presumably things that people who liked the movie found memorable!

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

I assume he means this one:
    Bruce Wayne/Batman: You're not brave. Men are brave. You say you want to help people, but you can't experience their pain...their mortality. It's time you learned what it means to be a man!
    ‐ Submitted by Todd F (4 days ago)

But then, they're all bad

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »

I assume he means this one:
    Bruce Wayne/Batman: You're not brave. Men are brave. You say you want to help people, but you can't experience their pain...their mortality. It's time you learned what it means to be a man!
    ‐ Submitted by Todd F (4 days ago)

But then, they're all bad

That's the one

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    The actual end of the oldest lie line ain't terrible and I don't hate the idea of "you're not brave, men are brave" even if the rest of the quote is pretty bad and fuck that sentiment

Quire.jpg
This discussion has been closed.