As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Superheroes] Superman inadvertently snaps neck of Rotten Tomatoes score.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    That's a great Luthor line

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    There is a batman quote on the rotten tomatoes page for the movie that is the worst thing I've ever read, and I read the webcomics thread

You can't just say stuff like this and not share it with the rest of the class.

I assume he means this one:
    Bruce Wayne/Batman: You're not brave. Men are brave. You say you want to help people, but you can't experience their pain...their mortality. It's time you learned what it means to be a man!
    ‐ Submitted by Todd F (4 days ago)

But then, they're all bad

Did David Goyer play a superhero-themed World of Darkness campaign with a bunch of moody teenagers and then pass off the session logs as a movie script?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    There is a batman quote on the rotten tomatoes page for the movie that is the worst thing I've ever read, and I read the webcomics thread

Bruce Wayne/Batman: You're not brave. Men are brave. You say you want to help people, but you can't experience their pain...their mortality. It's time you learned what it means to be a man!

Did David Goyer play a superhero-themed World of Darkness campaign with a bunch of moody teenagers and then pass off the session logs as a movie script?

I'll have you know this movie was rewritten by an academy award winner

It's just too sophisticated for us plebs

• Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    everything about Batman in the movie seems to be playing specifically to the kinds of people who hate Superman and refuse to engage with the character

meaning it'll likely be a big hit??

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    everything about Batman in the movie seems to be playing specifically to the kinds of people who hate Superman and refuse to engage with the character

meaning it'll likely be a big hit??

Well you see, Superman is invincible and that makes him boring. Furthermore,

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    One day I'll be highbrow enough to grasp the nuance of Batman beating the asspiss out of Superman in mega-armor

Stay in school kids

Ceno on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    The actual end of the oldest lie line ain't terrible and I don't hate the idea of "you're not brave, men are brave" even if the rest of the quote is pretty bad and fuck that sentiment

The thing about Superman is, he should be the one to say "I'm not brave, men are brave" because that's the truth!

Or just take that whole line and give it to Luthor, that's exactly something he'd say

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    lol I just looked at the article that has the positive early impressions

it's basically a list of about a dozen tweets

four of which are from Carl Cunningham who is the film's PR rep

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    The actual end of the oldest lie line ain't terrible and I don't hate the idea of "you're not brave, men are brave" even if the rest of the quote is pretty bad and fuck that sentiment

The thing about Superman is, he should be the one to say "I'm not brave, men are brave" because that's the truth!

Or just take that whole line and give it to Luthor, that's exactly something he'd say

Sure the context is terrible but honestly I'm shocked they managed a somewhat unstilled idea even if it makes batman more of a grump and mouthpiece for idiots.

I just don't understand why anyone thought it was a good idea to hire someone who vocally hates superman to write for superman.

Also he keep referencing the worst superman stories with the exception of birthright.

Quire.jpg
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

Sure the context is terrible but honestly I'm shocked they managed a somewhat unstilled idea even if it makes batman more of a grump and mouthpiece for idiots.

I just don't understand why anyone thought it was a good idea to hire someone who vocally hates superman to write for superman.

Also he keep referencing the worst superman stories with the exception of birthright.

Reminder that the author of birthright involuntarily screamed during the film because of how betrayed and hurt he felt

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    That's a great Luthor line

Glad I didn't post before getting to this page because this was exactly what I was coming to say

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    I imagine BvS is going to be slightly better than your average Transformer movie and be a hit with all the people who pay money to see those on opening weekend.

It's also probably going to make more money than your average Transformer movie, because Batman is in it.

Amusingly, the Ninja Turtles sequel later this year will probably be a better film, and it's got Michael Bay's name on it.

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular

Reminder that the author of birthright involuntarily screamed during the film because of how betrayed and hurt he felt

Hahaha, so bad there is literal wailing and teeth gnashing in the audience

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Speaking of Kate Bishop, I met Annie Wu this weekend

Had her sign her volume of Hawkeye and told her that, in addition to me loving her work, I showed my dad Hawkeye, Black Canary, and Venture Bros, and he loves all of them, so she is 3 for 3 with 45 year old suburban dads

She pumped her fist and said "that's my core demographic!"

Annie Wu's cool

Wait fuck Annie Wu was at c2E2 and missed her? Fucccckkkkk

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

So Batman is helping Superman to empathize with humans, by beating him up so he could face mortality. Superman should thank him.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I had a sad conversation with some friends over the weekend where they kept going on and on about how "Gritty dark realistic Superman is perfect because thats what would happen in real life!" my argument that I don't always want to read comics or see movies to see a reflection of the real world was lost on them

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Man, fuck Batman vs. Superman, look at the first pictures of LEGO Batman instead!

The flames coming out of the Batwing, oh my god

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I had a sad conversation with some friends over the weekend where they kept going on and on about how "Gritty dark realistic Superman is perfect because thats what would happen in real life!" my argument that I don't always want to read comics or see movies to see a reflection of the real world was lost on them

I like how they're so sure that would happen "in the real world." It's like, we have so many cases of superpowered vigilantes to analyze, so of course we'd know what would happen. It's not like this would be a completely unprecedented event for the entire world!

• JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular

oh man

if i didn't love man of steel before

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I also love it when creators stories are twisted into something that causes them anguish

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    If you ever doubt that Mark Waid loves Superman more than anyone else: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=44987

edited March 2016
    You know the worst part of MoS that nobody ever talks about?

All the dumb genetics nonsense.

"Kal-El as the only natural born Kyptonian you are the only one who can choose your own fate- but just enact the exact plan I made for your life before I sent you to Earth. Also made you a costume"

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Mark Waid is known for having a ludicrous encyclopedic knowledge of superheroes, isn't he?

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    You know the worst part of MoS that nobody ever talks about?

All the dumb genetics nonsense.

"Kal-El as the only natural born Kyptonian you are the only one who can choose your own fate- but just enact the exact plan I made for your life before I sent you to Earth. Also made you a costume"

I loved the hamfisted symbolism of the codex

"Here is the genetic template for all Kryptonians; a dying race, our biological heritage is represented by a SKULL!

Now I will infuse it into our NEWBORN BABY, who will represent a new beginning!"

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Hey nerds
    https://youtu.be/I3WhdXPaUd8

Blizzard is doing superheroes real good

CYpGAPn.png
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    In my opinion, Siegel and Shuster were the only ones who could cry in anguish over any of the changes made to Superman and it not be an over the top reaction.

Everyone else has been tripping over themselves with remixes and reinventions since. It's gunna happen again with every iteration of the character.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
    Gustav wrote: »
    In my opinion, Siegel and Shuster were the only ones who could cry in anguish over any of the changes made to Superman and it not be an over the top reaction.

Everyone else has been tripping over themselves with remixes and reinventions since. It's gunna happen again to the next generation.
    I mean

Waid did so because Man of Steel was heavily cribbing from specifically his story, Birthright, and the marketing, specifically the final trailer, had been leaning into the good parts of Birthright so he was even more furious than he would have been if it was just a bad Superman movie

Like regardless of whether or not you think it was over the top dude had plenty of grounds to be pissed off and upset

CYpGAPn.png
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    I hated MoS so much that I talked about how much it sucked for weeks afterward

It got to the point where BugBoy asked me to stop, because I was irritating him

Something that he asks, oh, maybe once or twice a decade

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Did Waid literally scream in a cinema

Veldrin wrote: »
    I doubt it was an actual scream but some noise of disgust, probably

CYpGAPn.png
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited March 2016
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Everyone else has been tripping over themselves with remixes and reinventions since. It's gunna happen again to the next generation.
    I mean

Waid did so because Man of Steel was heavily cribbing from specifically his story, Birthright, and the marketing, specifically the final trailer, had been leaning into the good parts of Birthright so he was even more furious than he would have been if it was just a bad Superman movie

Like regardless of whether or not you think it was over the top dude had plenty of grounds to be pissed off and upset

I don't think the movie was particularly cribbing from Birthright at all. But it's been awhile since I read it. He flew over herds of wild animals. And the public sees the threat as Kryptonians, which in the book is in an illusion and in the movie it's actual. Beyond that I don't remember much drawing much from Birthright beyond what Birthright drew from every other Superman story.

Also don't remember the marketing all that well, but I thought it used the speeches that were drawn from All Star more than anything else?

And I dunno. Even if it took from Birthright. I just find it offputting for a dude who was doing stories of another's character (that he certainly knew was ill-gotten) to complain about how *his* story was handled. But my view of creator ethics is complicated in those situations.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
    edited March 2016

The way he tells it is when Superman kills Zod he stood up and screamed "WELL NOW YOU'VE LOST ME" and had to be persuaded to sit down and stop making a scene from his wife.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg

I mean

I don't think the movie was particularly cribbing from Birthright at all. But it's been awhile since I read it. He flew over herds of wild animals. And the public sees the threat as Kryptonians, which in the book is in an illusion and in the movie it's actual. Beyond that I don't remember much drawing much from Birthright beyond what Birthright drew from every other Superman story.

I don't remember the marketing all that well, but I thought it used the speeches that were drawn from All Star more than anything else?

And I dunno. Even if it took from Birthright. I just find it offputting for a dude who was doing stories of another's character (that he certainly knew was ill-gotten) to complain about how *his* story was handled. But my view of creator ethics is complicated in those situations.

MoS is explicitly an adaption of Birthright. That's from the mouths of the writers.

Quire.jpg

The way he tells it is when Superman kills Zod he stood up and scream "WELL NOW YOU'VE LOST ME" and had to be persuaded to sit down and stop making a scene from his wife.
    Then yeah Waid was being over the top

But being real pissed about it is okay

Just

Don't do it in a crowded movie theater you dummy

CYpGAPn.png

I mean

I don't remember the marketing all that well, but I thought it used the speeches that were drawn from All Star more than anything else?

MoS is explicitly an adaption of Birthright. That's from the mouths of the writers.

I'm poking around and I can't seem to find any source of that. Just that it used elements from Birthright.

Dark Knight using elements of Long Halloween kind of stuff pops up, but no explicit adaptation stuff. Was it a Snyder claim?

aGPmIBD.jpg
    Wait. Mark Waid originated the concept of the S being a Kryptonian sigil? F that. It is an S. As in for Super. As in Clark is a dork and that's why we love him.

aGPmIBD.jpg
    Wait. Mark Waid originated the concept of the S being a Kryptonian sigil? F that. It is an S. As in for Super. As in Clark is a dork and that's why we love him.

The problem with that being that he would never call himself SUperman.

Quire.jpg
    His mama would. And Clark ain't about to tell Ma Kent that she's wrong.

aGPmIBD.jpg
This discussion has been closed.