As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fear [The Walking Thread]]: Also fear SPOILERS, of which there are many in here!

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    All of their ears are ringing from the gunshots at close quarters so they don't notice the zombies sneaking up on them.

:rotate:

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I was thinking that, jesus those metal hallways without any kind of loud noise would just be maddeningly loud.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Exhibit B: Sasha being all "OMG ABRAHAM Y U KILLING ZOMBIES" when you should be killing every zombie you see as soon as safely possible, because zombies are only a threat in numbers or when they surprise you, so the best way to preempt that is to kill them when you see them in small numbers.

This exhibit doesn't work because the context of the scene(s), IIRC. Street scene, they were eluding potential road bandits, leaving a trail of recently dispatched zombros would lead them right to them. Office hide out scene, the zombro poised no danger, heck in a way building with no zombie sounds coming from it could be an indicator of survivors being there, and he would be putting himself in danger to dispatch it, which showed she cared about him.

Now if they were patrolling in and around Alexandria when that was said, yeah, it wouldn't make a lick of sense but within the scenario they found themselves in, yeah, it should make sense. No different to when they were all just dog tired at the bridge on the way to Alexandria and the smart move wasn't to just kill the zombies but instead push them with as lil effort as possible down the embankment but Sasha put them all in danger by expending the last of her energy to try to destroy them instead.

Oh hey, look at that, she favours destroy over leave em be and then comes to realize that is needlessly putting not just herself but others as well in harms way and tries to impart that experience to someone she cares about getting too close to the fine razors edge they all live by. Consider the context of her character development as well and it does make some sense why she would say that.

steam_sig.png
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    That whole subplot and the characterization of both Sasha and Abraham was across the board meh. Suffice it to say that if they wanted to make it an issue of character development, the dialogue would have been less ambiguous and their behavior would have been less inconsistent. Her line for that scene was basically, "We don't do that!", which I assume was intended to highlight Abraham's growing recklessness as contrasted to her own burgeoning reclusion. A generous reading would argue that wanted to leave them alone for the sake of not going out of your way to do something, while taking it at face value has weird undertones regarding the morality of killing zombies. The point about the dead zombies leaving a trail for bandits to follow wasn't even made in the show.

• Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    You guys all totally missed the point of the last episode.
    It's an allegory of the Republican presidential primaries.

Donnie represents Marco Rubio. He's shot, he's injured... to be honest, he's dead. He just doesn't know it yet. This episode aired before Rubio dropped out, of course.
    Michelle represents John Kasich. She's the reasonable one. She's willing to talk. She wants to find common ground with Maggie and Carol, who represent the American public. Yeah, she's part of the Saviors (Republicans... note the religious terminology) and shares their philosophy, but ultimately she's a relatively sane person who's just been influenced by a bad crowd.
    Paula represents Ted Cruz. Her philosophy is all about looking out for number one. She joined the Saviors because being part of a ruthless group is the best way to survive, but she's willing to burn personal connections as they become inconvenient. Her boss? Oh, he was just an asshole and she had no problem killing him when he became inconvenient. Donnie? He represents Marco Rubio but in this case the analogy extends to Republican Senators as a whole--he's just a warm body, a bedmate out of convenience rather than because of any real feeling of camaraderie.

The two guys burnt to death in the kill room were Chris Christie and Ben Carson. They had their time as big shots, they thought they were hot stuff (and that literally becomes true in the show) but never really stood much of a chance. Once the heat was turned up (whether by gasoline or by media scrutiny) they went out quietly and without really inconveniencing others. Importantly, the characters in the show weren't shot in the head--they'll likely become walkers. They'll be shells of their former self. And, honestly, could the allegory become any clearer at that point?

And Molly? Molly is straight up Donald Trump.

• JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Except for in that example Carol would be Trump. Down to the part where she shot somebody dead and we'd still vote for her.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Ech, cringing. Classic DND rule, never split the party.

• jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Really hoping they deviate from the source material on tonight's episode.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    Really hoping they deviate from the source material on tonight's episode.

Welp.....
    they deviated a little.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Yeah, that was a shock.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Yeah, that was a shock.

I thought the speech was really eye opening.

Also, Christian Serratos. :heartbeat:

I'm glad she got a lot of screen time in this episode.

• 411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    It can't be just me who thinks the Saviors are coming off as extremely incompetent at this point, right? Like, maybe they'll eventually reveal a crushingly ridiculous advantage of numbers (which would make it weird that a settlement that big hasn't either been discovered by Alexandria scavengers or found Alexandria yet), but at this point, they keep getting wiped out every time they meet Rick's group, with no important losses.
    Hell, Darryl even got his bike and crossbow back with minimal fuss.

Also, I assume this is how they subtly write Tara and Heath off the show, since neither has a reason to exist, either never pointing out that they don't come back, or they just become part of the nameless Alexandria citizens and aren't mentioned anymore.

411Randle on
    1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I know Abroham is going to call Eugene his new nickname a lot now.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    411Randle wrote: »
    It can't be just me who thinks the Saviors are coming off as extremely incompetent at this point, right? Like, maybe they'll eventually reveal a crushingly ridiculous advantage of numbers (which would make it weird that a settlement that big hasn't either been discovered by Alexandria scavengers or found Alexandria yet), but at this point, they keep getting wiped out every time they meet Rick's group, with no important losses.
    Hell, Darryl even got his bike and crossbow back with minimal fuss.

Also, I assume this is how they subtly write Tara and Heath off the show, since neither has a reason to exist, either never pointing out that they don't come back, or they just become part of the nameless Alexandria citizens and aren't mentioned anymore.

I was wondering about that, but they could have quite a few. Hilltop in the comics has ~200 residents. If we assume the TV is about the same, the Saviors could have a pretty solid number of their own--enough that the 30 or so Saviors we've seen killed so far strings but isn't crippling.

Comics:
    In the comics, there's also another colony that's been subjugated by the Saviors called The Kingdom. Assuming something similar in the show, that gives an even higher count for potential Saviors. Plus we know they do their own foraging, which might increase their numbers still further.

They and Alexandria probably haven't run across each other because the scouts probably take a long fucking time to really fully explore an area. They're in a pretty urban region, and Alexandria in particular was only sending out a small handful of scouts until Rick's group showed up fairly recently. A radius of only a few miles adds up quite a bit.

In the comics, the Saviors do have a large base. But if it's off a main road and it's more than a few miles away from the Alexandria colony, then we should expect them to take a while before they stumble into each other.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I am not a fan of how this episode went. :I
    was really hoping they were pulling the ol misdirect by giving Denise a buncha screentime. It's usually the kiss of death for the side characters, spent the whole episode braced for it. Was really hoping we'd just get a sudden Abroham death instead. And it happened while Tara was away? So we don't get any kind of reaction from her on it. So I'm guessing that means Tara is dead already, killed off screen. Probably Heath too. Pfffff.

Oh brilliant
  • AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Last night:
    I don't know why but that one hit me hard. :(

On the other hand:
    You didn't have to bite a dick.

Aiserou on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Aiserou wrote: »
    Last night:
    I don't know why but that one hit me hard. :(

On the other hand:
    You didn't have to bite a dick.

Woah, you got both a classic spoiler and an ellipses spoiler. How'd you do that?

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Took the spoiler stuff to the bug forum. So to replace that post; is Eugene's new leadworks necessary? From the little I know about bullet making, it's a pretty small scale operation, you need a couple tools, not a huge shop, right?

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    I'm not a gun guy but a friend of mine is into it to the point of making their own ammo, and you're right it absolutely is a bench scale setup.

I can only assume that the huge machine shop and forge is for some industrial scale mass production, churning out bullets by the thousands?

Or, y'know, it's more writer's room physics knowledge lol ;-)

• mollehmolleh Registered User regular
    lol, the other cringe-worthy part was watching Daryl driving stick in an old pickup and just randomly upshifting and downshifting like he has no idea what he's doing...

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Took the spoiler stuff to the bug forum. So to replace that post; is Eugene's new leadworks necessary? From the little I know about bullet making, it's a pretty small scale operation, you need a couple tools, not a huge shop, right?

What if Eugene becomes Zombie Q and The Walking Dead becomes the show we have all wished it was.

This knife explodes.

This pen has a knife in it.

This is a giant spring that will launch zombies lured by the juke box with a satisfying "boing" sound.

Man, forget Bond gadgetry, I'd just be happy if they started wearing armor again.

Anyway remember this scene when Glenn just casually walked straight through a massive crowd of walkers because they literally could not hurt him through the riot gear? Apologies for the poor quality, best I could scrounge up on google, but yea he just shoves right through them as it turns out zombies can't bite through kevlar!

Why isn't this the scavenger teams every day attire, lol?
    kiLg1ST.jpg

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular

It's been a long time, but Lanlaorn has the right idea.
    Home ammo is as simple as gun powder and such things, a scale, and a few pieces of hardware for packing the bullet. But doing it manually would get old pretty fast if you're trying to work in the hundreds to thousands.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    Man, forget Bond gadgetry, I'd just be happy if they started wearing armor again.

Anyway remember this scene when Glenn just casually walked straight through a massive crowd of walkers because they literally could not hurt him through the riot gear? Apologies for the poor quality, best I could scrounge up on google, but yea he just shoves right through them as it turns out zombies can't bite through kevlar!

kiLg1ST.jpg

Yeah at this point they should have a really basic process and tools in place for killing zombies, but they never get beyond "walk up and stab them and 50/50 chance you die lololol" because apparently they just can't be bothered or something. Like, when you see a still-living zombie stuck on the stakes in front of their gate, it just makes you roll your eyes. It's clearly there for the show aesthetic, because otherwise it would be fucking stupid for them to leave it there, let alone leave it there alive. See also: Why they never seem to find or use suppressors for guns even though they are incredibly common (yes, the difference is "minimal", but in that kind of environment every little bit counts). Why everyone doesn't have a spear and headstabs literally every zombie they come across, even if it's on the floor. Why they don't carry noisemakers like egg timers with them all the time. Why people don't tie themselves to a bedpost every time they go to sleep. Why they let anyone walk around alone at all, considering there's a chance that person will simply keel over and die and turn into a zombie with ninja-like powers.

Bad joke incoming.

I used to be a doctor and then I took an arrow to the Eye!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

kiLg1ST.jpg

Yeah at this point they should have a really basic process and tools in place for killing zombies, but they never get beyond "walk up and stab them and 50/50 chance you die lololol" because apparently they just can't be bothered or something. Like, when you see a still-living zombie stuck on the stakes in front of their gate, it just makes you roll your eyes. It's clearly there for the show aesthetic, because otherwise it would be fucking stupid for them to leave it there, let alone leave it there alive. See also: Why they never seem to find or use suppressors for guns even though they are incredibly common (yes, the difference is "minimal", but in that kind of environment every little bit counts). Why everyone doesn't have a spear and headstabs literally every zombie they come across, even if it's on the floor. Why they don't carry noisemakers like egg timers with them all the time. Why people don't tie themselves to a bedpost every time they go to sleep. Why they let anyone walk around alone at all, considering there's a chance that person will simply keel over and die and turn into a zombie with ninja-like powers.

Why they took their doctor on a stupid trip in which she was unnecessary instead of saying "no, that is dumb. Why are you so insistent on going? Oh, that self affirmation stuff, that is also dumb."

But yeah, the trades they made with the riot gear and just leaving it behind were mental. The fact that they haven't made getting riot gear form every police station they come across is bad.

• MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I'm not a gun guy but a friend of mine is into it to the point of making their own ammo, and you're right it absolutely is a bench scale setup.

I can only assume that the huge machine shop and forge is for some industrial scale mass production, churning out bullets by the thousands?

I took that as he needs to melt lead and make his own bullets, not just pack pre-made stuff.

The Z with molten metal on its head gave that away I thought.

Mulletude on
    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    The Zombie with the metal head was silly as the molten metal would have burned through the skin and bone with ease into the ever so soft tissue of the brain

• ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    Maybe if they would practice a little fire discipline they might not need to make more bullets. They blaze away like the shit grows on trees. For me it's one of the more constantly irritating things they do on this show.

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    Apostate wrote: »
    Maybe if they would practice a little fire discipline they might not need to make more bullets. They blaze away like the shit grows on trees. For me it's one of the more constantly irritating things they do on this show.

They've mentioned a few times that they have lots of ammo, it was never entirely clear where they got it. Making a plot point of running out of ammo sort of invalidates that though.

Mulletude wrote: »

I took that as he needs to melt lead and make his own bullets, not just pack pre-made stuff.

The Z with molten metal on its head gave that away I thought.

Lead has such a low melting point though, you can melt and cast lead off a frying pan on your stove. Bullets are typically copper jacketed right? So that's another metal that's easy to work with. People custom cast lead for a lot of hobby stuff, I'm not an expert or anything but I think he definitely could have had a garage setup at home easily cover this project and I hope the big industrial digs are for some large scale bullet farming (and not a contrivance for future plot purposes).

• MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    No matter how much they have, it's a finite resource. Manufacturing their own to either use or trade isn't a bad idea.

Only so many sporting goods and gun stores to be looted.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    No matter how much they have, it's a finite resource. Manufacturing their own to either use or trade isn't a bad idea.

Only so many sporting goods and gun stores to be looted.

Fishing sinkers and old plumbing are both common enough to find and easily passed over by other scavengers.

Once they get the process down, going to the facility with a team and banging out a crate full of bullets every once in awhile isn't too large of a task. And it gives you something to trade as well.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Man god dammit come on show

Sigh

Also

The ending of the episode.
    Carol leaving and also having a sad

Yawn, retreading two previous plot points at once. *fart noise*

I am also pretty curious as to how the industrial manufacturing shop got overrun by zombos such that a guy got crowned like Viserys Targaryen.

There isn't a clear order of events there.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    I am also pretty curious as to how the industrial manufacturing shop got overrun by zombos such that a guy got crowned like Viserys Targaryen.

There isn't a clear order of events there.

The order of events was:

1. It looked cool.
    2. The scene was a little funny.

No further explanations needed.

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Rosita and Daryl spent the entire episode acting like complete shitbirds. If you didn't want to take Denise out on the town, talk to Rick about it and have him talk her down. Tromping around like a pair of petulant teens with the group's only doctor in tow...fuck you both.

Yeah they were way too casual with leaving her behind to almost get zombo'd. Which can be spoken of how much Daryl and Rosita don't care about others, but good lord. Even Abro ham didn't leave Eugene behind even when Eugene told him to get lost.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.