As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Superheroes] Superman inadvertently snaps neck of Rotten Tomatoes score.

• Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    Wait. Mark Waid originated the concept of the S being a Kryptonian sigil? F that. It is an S. As in for Super. As in Clark is a dork and that's why we love him.

The problem with that being that he would never call himself SUperman.

That's a good point, but there's an easy fix

Just have Martha Kent come up with the name/costume

Clark's not the sort to disagree with his mother, so he'd wear it

• FCDFCD Registered User regular
    Wait. Mark Waid originated the concept of the S being a Kryptonian sigil? F that. It is an S. As in for Super. As in Clark is a dork and that's why we love him.

I thought it was the first movie that established that? Like, that it was the crest of the House of El.

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Whoever came up with it needs to go to continuity jail.

aGPmIBD.jpg
    I like it being a Kryptonian symbol, a link to his past. But I also like his mom actually making his costume for him. I think both things are fine as part of Supes backstory.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    c17.png

Anything that makes Superman less of a good-hearted goober from Kansas is stuff that I'm not a fan of.

aGPmIBD.jpg
    I don't feel it makes him less of a Kansas farmboy if it's a Kryptonian symbol. It just means that he's an immigrant, and that it's a tie to his past, while his present and his upbringing in Smallville is still very important.

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited March 2016

Superman popped up in 1938.

The concept of the symbol as a coat of arms or family crest came up in 1978.

It is now 2016.

In another two years, that concept will have been around for half of Superman's existence.

How long does it take for it to stop being a "continuity crime"?

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »

It is now 2016.

In another two years, that concept will have been around for half of Superman's existence.

Gustav never forgets.

Gustav never forgives.

TrippyJing wrote: »

It is now 2016.

Till the sun goes out.

Which Superman won't let happen.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    The movie made it the symbol for the House of El. Mark Waid made it stand for 'hope.'

Gvzbgul on
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I think it is a fun, neat little nod to Superman's sci-fi origins.

I do, however, prefer the Ma Kent outfit over the House of El battle suit.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I thought the S came from the blanket that Clark was wrapped in, which Martha later turned into his costume since it was Kryptonian and therefore way more durable than earth cloth.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Man, fuck Batman vs. Superman, look at the first pictures of LEGO Batman instead!

The flames coming out of the Batwing, oh my god

Those can't be real. Batman's smiling

steam_sig.png
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    The movie made it the symbol for the House of El. Mark Waid made it stand for 'hope.'

Think you have that backwards.

Im confident that they mention it being the symbol of the house of El in birthright and Im certain that the symbol isn't literally hope in Birthright. Sups just notices that the people fighting to help people are wearing that symbol in Krypton history.

Quire.jpg
    edited March 2016
    Sorry, I meant the Christopher Reeves Superman movie. It is "A symbol of hope." in Birthright.

Gvzbgul on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    That isn't the same thing as literally meaning hope though

That just means the House of El was a noble one that people were inspired by

CYpGAPn.png
    It is deliberately ambiguous since Clark is just guessing.

• MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Man of Steel is hot garbage but g-d dang does Hans Zimmer know how to make a really inspiring theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX3coWDnTrU

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
    edited March 2016
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    It is deliberately ambiguous since Clark is just guessing.
    I really don't think it is

Something being a symbol of hope is, like, a pretty common thing

It does not mean that it actually means hope

Like the exact quote is "At first I thought it was a family crest if some sort-but if it was, it certainly came to mean more than that to these people. Wars were fought over it. Entire cities were built on it. Over the course of time it became a...a promise. A sign of people fighting to make a better world. A symbol of hope."

Man of Steel is the only place they actually went NO IT LITERALLY MEANS HOPE and that is because David Goyer doesn't know the word subtlety.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Having it literally mean hope is kind of meaningless since of course clans and factions will take on symbols that mean good things. What house would use a symbol that means cowardice or stupidity for their family crest? Zod's house symbol probably means courage or honor or something like that. Unless Zod actually means Bolton in Kryptonian, in which case his symbol probably means genocide or exsanguination or smooth jazz.

KingofMadCows on
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Having it literally mean hope is kind of meaningless since of course clans and factions will take on symbols that mean good things. What house would use a symbol that means cowardice or stupidity for their family crest?

House Rincewind takes umbrage, good sir! Cowardice just means living to not fight another day.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    so that batman v superman

man, what a fucking mess of a movie

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

You saw it?

I was expecting a fucking mess! I want details! Also pictures of Spider-Man.

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular

I would like to know more, please.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
    XRJzw.gif

I'm curious because along with their largely accurate Rebirth scoops Bleeding Cool said that one of the reasons the creative team and plot details of he relaunch are being kept hidden till the end of the month is that a major part of it is modeled after a big spoiler from Batman vs Superman

So

I guess that means
    Clark dies in Rebirth?

CYpGAPn.png
  • Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

You saw it?

batman racks up a higher body count than most schwarzenegger movies. it's not even subtle "car gets hit in such a way that would kill someone in real life but movie logic means they're ok" stunts you would see in the TDK trilogy. full-on cars blowing the fuck up with people still inside them, not to mention outright shooting and blowing up kgbeast in an awful reference to a dark knight returns scene that snyder of course misinterpreted

lex is fucking awful. i know a lot of folks around here thought he looked bad from the trailers, but i was willing to give the interpretation of the character a shot, and i think because of that it ended up being even more of a disappointment at just how terrible it was. he makes it clear from his very first appearance in the movie that he is not the "lex" in the lexcorp name, that's his father, and boy does his character set out to prove that in every way he can throughout the movie. he's not a genius, he's not a savvy businessman, he's not even really a good socialite. he's a stunted child acting out against his dead abusive father, which i thought had potential once he started to make it clear that that was what was motivating him, but once it's brought up it's dropped just as fast in the rush to get to the next plot point and by the end of the movie he's left a literal gibbering lunatic

it's also revealed that he's behind a whole subplot involving illegal weapons that are somehow supposed to make superman look bad but it's never really elaborated upon why, and also apparently lex knows who batman is and uses an employee of bruce to instigate him into fighting clark but it's never actually explained how he knows any of this!

and the hints at the justice league stuff is honestly laughable. bruce has a bad dream about superman working with darkseid (you don't see him but there's the omega symbol and parademons and apokolips furnaces all over the place so it's obvious) and then after the dream motherfucking flash shows up OUT OF NOWHERE in an awful looking costume screaming some shit about not letting lois die and realizing he went back too far. it's the most inane, out-of-left-field shit i've ever seen and it honestly makes no sense other than to be a thing for marks to clap at in the movie theater (which of course they did, despite how fucking random it was) and then it turns out lex has a bunch of files regarding metahumans on his computer, each handily already sporting their own logo! it's basically a bunch of security footage feed of flash, cyborg and aquaman that isn't exciting in the least and, in my opinion, goes over like a wet fart

the movie is such a huge mess, it's honestly kinda astounding. i went into it not exactly enthused about it but willing to give it a shot, and came away from it ready to write off the DCEU altogether

the only highlights for me were jeremy irons as alfred, who was perfect, and gal gadot who did a pretty good job with wonder woman. i did find it odd that she still has her israeli accent, but that's likely something not a ton of the moviegoing public will pick up on and will instead just sound "exotic". other than that she's got the physicality and look down pat

oh and there's also a scene with a naked amy adams in a bathtub, but that's neither here nor there

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited March 2016

You saw it?

batman racks up a higher body count than most schwarzenegger movies. it's not even subtle "car gets hit in such a way that would kill someone in real life but movie logic means they're ok" stunts you would see in the TDK trilogy. full-on cars blowing the fuck up with people still inside them, not to mention outright shooting and blowing up kgbeast in an awful reference to a dark knight returns scene that snyder of course misinterpreted

lex is fucking awful. i know a lot of folks around here thought he looked bad from the trailers, but i was willing to give the interpretation of the character a shot, and i think because of that it ended up being even more of a disappointment at just how terrible it was. he makes it clear from his very first appearance in the movie that he is not the "lex" in the lexcorp name, that's his father, and boy does his character set out to prove that in every way he can throughout the movie. he's not a genius, he's not a savvy businessman, he's not even really a good socialite. he's a stunted child acting out against his dead abusive father, which i thought had potential once he started to make it clear that that was what was motivating him, but once it's brought up it's dropped just as fast in the rush to get to the next plot point and by the end of the movie he's left a literal gibbering lunatic

it's also revealed that he's behind a whole subplot involving illegal weapons that are somehow supposed to make superman look bad but it's never really elaborated upon why, and also apparently lex knows who batman is and uses an employee of bruce to instigate him into fighting clark but it's never actually explained how he knows any of this!

and the hints at the justice league stuff is honestly laughable. bruce has a bad dream about superman working with darkseid (you don't see him but there's the omega symbol and parademons and apokolips furnaces all over the place so it's obvious) and then after the dream motherfucking flash shows up OUT OF NOWHERE in an awful looking costume screaming some shit about not letting lois die and realizing he went back too far. it's the most inane, out-of-left-field shit i've ever seen and it honestly makes no sense other than to be a thing for marks to clap at in the movie theater (which of course they did, despite how fucking random it was) and then it turns out lex has a bunch of files regarding metahumans on his computer, each handily already sporting their own logo! it's basically a bunch of security footage feed of flash, cyborg and aquaman that isn't exciting in the least and, in my opinion, goes over like a wet fart

the movie is such a huge mess, it's honestly kinda astounding. i went into it not exactly enthused about it but willing to give it a shot, and came away from it ready to write off the DCEU altogether

the only highlights for me were jeremy irons as alfred, who was perfect, and gal gadot who did a pretty good job with wonder woman. i did find it odd that she still has her israeli accent, but that's likely something not a ton of the moviegoing public will pick up on and will instead just sound "exotic". other than that she's got the physicality and look down pat

oh and there's also a scene with a naked amy adams in a bathtub, but that's neither here nor there

Im not happy we were right.

At least I got my son off the planet before this hit.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    In my opinion, Siegel and Shuster were the only ones who could cry in anguish over any of the changes made to Superman and it not be an over the top reaction.

Everyone else has been tripping over themselves with remixes and reinventions since. It's gunna happen again with every iteration of the character.

It wasn't over "changes made to superman" it was because they fucked up his specific superman story

I know you hate when artists use preexisting characters but you can still have ownership over a story even if you didn't invent the character, and they used it without even asking him, he got excited they were using it, and then they turned it into something that was the exact opposite of what he believes superman should be.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Fucking fuck

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

You saw it?

so all that stuff about how they want the same level of payoff as the MCU without wanting to put in the time to develop it was pretty spot on basically

hurgh

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    So it really, really is that summary I read the other day

Fuck

That didn't even sound like a trainwreck, it just sounded boring as hell

6F32U1X.png
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited March 2016

You saw it?

But did you get it Diablo

Did you get it though

You probably didn't get it

Ceno on
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »

You saw it?

But did you get it Diablo

Did you get it though

You probably didn't get it

Yeah man, you probably even like comic books. Goyer doesn't write for nerds.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

You saw it?

dghfgfd1hgdft.jpg

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular

I've always heard it was Marlon Brando's idea.

Actual quote from a BvS featurette released today

Superman: "Superman was never real. Just the dream of a farmer from Kansas."

Baaaaaaaaaarrrrrffff

CYpGAPn.png
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Eheheheh

Ehehehehe

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
This discussion has been closed.