As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Superheroes] Superman inadvertently snaps neck of Rotten Tomatoes score.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Do big superhero movies typically withhold reviews this late

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Not good ones.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'm expecting BvS to review reasonably well and do okay for itself and also for it to be complete rancid garbage

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

Well they're still coming out 3 days ahead of the movie

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    In my opinion, Siegel and Shuster were the only ones who could cry in anguish over any of the changes made to Superman and it not be an over the top reaction.

Everyone else has been tripping over themselves with remixes and reinventions since. It's gunna happen again with every iteration of the character.

It wasn't over "changes made to superman" it was because they fucked up his specific superman story

I know you hate when artists use preexisting characters but you can still have ownership over a story even if you didn't invent the character, and they used it without even asking him, he got excited they were using it, and then they turned it into something that was the exact opposite of what he believes superman should be.

he doesn't own the story - warner brothers does

he doesn't own the characters - warner brothers does

he wrote the story, i'm sure, ignoring decades of things he didn't feel fit with his vision of the character

who am i talking about?

david goyer or mark waid?

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Yeah it isn't that unusual for reviews to go up only a few days before the film comes out

Usually there are early international releases that have reviews a week or two prior but BvS isn't doing that

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Not good ones.

I can see why they would do that. That way they avoid having a studio come back at them saying they tainted the audience.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    In my opinion, Siegel and Shuster were the only ones who could cry in anguish over any of the changes made to Superman and it not be an over the top reaction.

Everyone else has been tripping over themselves with remixes and reinventions since. It's gunna happen again with every iteration of the character.

It wasn't over "changes made to superman" it was because they fucked up his specific superman story

I know you hate when artists use preexisting characters but you can still have ownership over a story even if you didn't invent the character, and they used it without even asking him, he got excited they were using it, and then they turned it into something that was the exact opposite of what he believes superman should be.

he wrote the story, i'm sure, ignoring decades of things he didn't feel fit with his vision of the character

who am i talking about?

If David Goyer wants to be mad because someone decides to make a good version of Man of Steel he is totally within his rights to do so

Just because you wouldn't be mad if someone took a story you wrote starring characters you didn't create and twisted it into something you actively hated and disgusted doesn't mean that it is ridiculous for other writers to feel that way

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I was hoping for really positive reviews of bvs so that I would go and see it. I guess I'll skip it though, it'll be on netflix sooner or later.

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    I really like how BvS junkets has become the MoS Justification Tour 2016. It's just quotes day after day and Snyder having to defend his shitty Superman.

And thus, there's this.

BVS DIRECTOR ZACK SNYDER DEFENDS MAN OF STEEL DEATH TOLL BY POINTING TO STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS

"They destroy five planets with billions of people on them."

It's pretty much him getting snippy when someone says MoS has the highest collateral damage in a recent movie and oh, Zack.

You're not wrong but you just don't get WHY people keep bringing this up, do you?

• Options
    I'm pretty sure everyone said the TFA thing was the dumbest part of the movie.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I was hoping for really positive reviews of bvs so that I would go and see it. I guess I'll skip it though, it'll be on netflix sooner or later.

Have the Nolan Batman films ever been on Netflix? They aren't on there currently.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Have the Nolan Batman films ever been on Netflix? They aren't on there currently.

I don't think so, but I'm pretty sure Man Of Steel is.

• Options
    Man of Steel isn't as far as I know

It was on HBO Go for a while

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Either way, the fight scenes will end up on Youtube, which is pretty much all I'm curious about.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm keen to check out all the scenes that involve Wonder Woman, maybe a few others if additional context is needed to support those scenes. Happy to give the rest a miss though.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I'll eventually rent it on Redbox and enjoy the ability to pause and skip things.

I want to see it just to be able to make up my own mind, but I'm not buying a movie ticket.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular

I honestly thought Man of Steel would show up by now, but DC seems to be pretty stingy with their non-animated stuff.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular

Begins occasionally shows up, but the other two haven't, as far as I know.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm not paying for a movie ticket to this

Which is not something I ever ever ever ever EVER thought I would ever say about a movie with Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman in it.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I really like how BvS junkets has become the MoS Justification Tour 2016. It's just quotes day after day and Snyder having to defend his shitty Superman.

And thus, there's this.

BVS DIRECTOR ZACK SNYDER DEFENDS MAN OF STEEL DEATH TOLL BY POINTING TO STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS

"They destroy five planets with billions of people on them."

It's pretty much him getting snippy when someone says MoS has the highest collateral damage in a recent movie and oh, Zack.

You're not wrong but you just don't get WHY people keep bringing this up, do you?

Does he get that in TFA the heroes werent Superman?
    The resistance and the Rei/Finn group had no ability to stop Starkiller base until after it fired hell only one of them knew about it and he was going through some stuff

Snyderman deliberately endangered lives throughout that movie when he was perfectly capable of minimizing that risk

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Hey guys

Could we please cool it on the Star Wars spoilers

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I thought the review embargo ended today?

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular

who am i talking about?

I also don't think it was an adaptation of Birthright. Like Birthright it drew on previous iterations of the character. But it's largely dissimilar. And I couldn't find any quotes of the writers of the film stating that it was based on Mark Waid's story.

Also I don't necessarily hate artists using pre-existing characters. There's more nuance to it than that. I get annoyed when artists act like they own those characters. Especially if they (and Mark Waid must) know the history of how DC and WB own that character. I find a lot of the stories of what happened to Siegel/Shuster/Kirby/Ditko/Finger absolutely hideous. And to work on those characters while knowing that history can be problematic enough, it's far back enough in history that it's possible to shrug it off and claim things have change. But to then claim they didn't do your version justice is just rather disingenuous to me.

Would a direct Birthright adaptation have been better? Probably. Frankly though, I don't like MoS, but I also don't find it's interpretation any less valid than any other version of the character save the Siegel and Schuster original.

Granted, they'll never make a Superman movie of my favorite iterations of the character, so I've never been terribly upset by which version they chose. Just wish they'd make a good movie.

(also ugh, yelling in movies is the worst)

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

That's region dependent, I guess. I'm in Denmark and Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are currently on Netflix and Dark Knight Rises and Man of Steel used to be.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Question if a supposed BvS spoiler is actually in the movie:
    A guy gets paralyzed by the Zod fight from the last film, and is portrayed as a completely bitter and hateful person as a result of it, all the way up until Lex turns him into a suicide bomber in a courtroom full of people.

Does that happen or was that a fake spoiler?

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »

That's region dependent, I guess. I'm in Denmark and Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are currently on Netflix and Dark Knight Rises and Man of Steel used to be.

Yeah, I know on mine (Canadian) I saw Batman Begins on there the other night. Didn't look to see if any of the other Nolan-verse ones were though.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    I thought the review embargo ended today?

6 PM, EST.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    A guy gets paralyzed by the Zod fight from the last film, and is portrayed as a completely bitter and hateful person as a result of it, all the way up until Lex turns him into a suicide bomber in a courtroom full of people.

This happens

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Well at least the assassins creed trailer is supposed to be attached to bvsdoj

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

This happens

Hah!

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    I have to see BvS for the whole radio review thing.

I'm basically only asking for a beautiful garbage fire at this point.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    I really wish this movie wasn't going to make all the money.

I'd like for a really good live-action Superman movie to come out during my lifetime, and that's apparently not going to happen as long as WB keeps pursuing their current cinematic universe.

• Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    Well

I can't say I didn't expect this

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    In my lifetime they've released Superman 4, Superman Returns, and Man of Steel

And if those, Superman Returns is probably the "best" and that is just tragic

• Options
    I quite like Superman Returns

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Marvel's June 2016 solicitations just came out. Civil War 2 is 7 issues with issues 1 and 2 out in June.

I'm assuming Bendis and Marquez can get this out in 3 and a half months baring illness.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Superman 3 also came out during my lifetime, but I'd have trouble calling any of those "really good."

• Options
    I really wish this movie wasn't going to make all the money.

I'd like for a really good live-action Superman movie to come out during my lifetime, and that's apparently not going to happen as long as WB keeps pursuing their current cinematic universe.

It won't, necessarily. If all the people who know they're going to hate it resist the temptation to go and see it. Amazing Spider-Man 2 showed that these movies can fail.

• Options
    But until they make a full movie of Fleischer's Superman and the Mechanical Monsters, they'll never make a Superman movie I find great.

aGPmIBD.jpg
This discussion has been closed.