As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CoH/CoV] Chat: Big patch! Spring Fling event! ITT we plan Accualt's wedding.

• Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    A_ccualt wrote: »
    Thinking about this merger, I really wish I lived in California because this seems like a very good opportunity to break into the game industry. NCSoft has a Jr. SW Engineer position listed for the new studio that I actually meet the qualifications for.

If you don't apply for that position I will gut you. You apply, you get hired, you move, you buff Defenders. Shit, I was tempted to apply for secretary.

A lovely thought, but I'm pretty sure there are enough young programmers in northern California that they won't feel the need to read resumes from the other side of the country.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Thinking about this merger, I really wish I lived in California because this seems like a very good opportunity to break into the game industry. NCSoft has a Jr. SW Engineer position listed for the new studio that I actually meet the qualifications for.

If you don't apply for that position I will gut you. You apply, you get hired, you move, you buff Defenders. Shit, I was tempted to apply for secretary.

A lovely thought, but I'm pretty sure there are enough young programmers in northern California that they won't feel the need to read resumes from the other side of the country.

You never know. When I applied at SoE to work on the original EverQuest team, I was a junior programmer with no experience in the field, and they still flew me from Texas to San Diego to interview. I didn't get the job, but they still took interest.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Dude, they will at the very least read your resume. The fact that you've been playing the game for X of years may at least get you an interview. It doesn't hurt to try. Of course if there is no way you'd move for the job I guess don't bother.

Is it sad that one (okay two counting MUO) games make me wish I'd gone into programming insted of politics? That and Illinois politics are so damn dirty it makes me ill.

Accualt on
  • Options
    ProfessorPolycarpProfessorPolycarp Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm down with a Friday LRSF. If we can get some more interest, let's start a signup.

Cyber: If you're actually interested in the job, send a resume. Especially at the junior developer level enthusiasm, intelligence/speed to spin up and fit with the team count for a lot. With the basic tools and a good impression, you could get your break.

If you've never been involved in the hiring process, you might be surprised at how hard it is to find quality people.

ProfessorPolycarp on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Ok, you guys have a point. Wouldn't do me any harm to shoot them a resume.

Also, I could be interested in LRSF on Friday.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    Chad SexingtonChad Sexington Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007

Dude, they will at the very least read your resume. The fact that you've been playing the game for X of years may at least get you an interview. It doesn't hurt to try. Of course if there is no way you'd move for the job I guess don't bother.

Is it sad that one (okay two counting MUO) games make me wish I'd gone into programming insted of politics? That and Illinois politics are so damn dirty it makes me ill.

It's not too late! Shit, it's not like politics pays well.

(Senior Poli Sci major here trying desperately to get a job anywhere else but politics.)

Chad Sexington on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Well, don't go tightly wrapping your resume into a gun or launcher of some kind and you're good.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Septus has issues with things shot out of guns (guntron guntron lol).

ProfessorPolycarp on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Septus wrote: »

Well, don't go tightly wrapping your resume into a gun or launcher of some kind and you're good.

But how else am I going to get it to the west coast?

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It's not too late! Shit, it's not like politics pays well.

(Senior Poli Sci major here trying desperately to get a job anywhere else but politics.)

Politics would be paying me extremely well if I wasn't moral.
    But, yeah, I guess I could take classes for programming...or maybe take drawing up again, become a concept artist. I do like the problem solving aspect of programming I just don't think I'd enjoy doing it day in and day out. I'd love building new zones or, even better, balancing and creating powers. The only thing is I'd want to work for Cryptic or...nobody else, except maybe NC NC. I don't have any interest in banging out game after game, I'd much rather work on MMOs.

Accualt on
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Thought I'd post this again a few pages later incase anyone missed it. We especially need a tank...looking at you DM.

Saturday November 10th

Sara Moore TF
    <--Link

Where: The Shadow Shard with occasional missions back in Paragon City somewhere

When: Starting at 7est, 6cst, 5mst, 4pst and going until it is finished..it requires 8 to start but we may be fewer..if so we will borrow PAers or PuGers to start..hell the PuGers can come if they want I don't care. If you could park yourself in Cascade Archipelago near some Nemesis that would be great as the first mission is a Nemesis hunt there. We may start a few minutes later then those times due to trying to get 8 or what have you..be prepared for that.

What: 15 missions. 7 defeat all. 6 objective(could be hidden defeat all). 2 hunts. AV at the end. Mostly Nemesis/Rularuu with a smattering of CoT. This may be a bit off obviously. I have no idea how long this is but keep in mind we did a shard TF Ghost had said was 8 hours long in 3 1/2. So Ghost..let us know how long Sara Moore took you.

It is for levels 40-50 though we will need to work out the sk/mentor thing as there will be 50s.

Why: Because I am total badge whore..and I only have one left to do.

Who: Me...and you...

How: By the collective power of our massive dongs. If you don't have one..then you can count your bewbs.

I am giving a fair bit of advanced notice so you can plan a bit for it. It's 1 hour after scheme night so you can have a bit of a break before we start if you participate in that. Signups are below..do the whole quote thing..just quote the part below this not the entire post.

Gear Girl wrote: »
    Sara Moore Signups

Character Name/Level/Archetype/What can you bring to this organization?
    1. Gear Girl/50/Blaster/Ambiguous Gender
    2. Glaciater/50/Blaster/Level 50 mentor for above two slackers
    3. Class Action/47/Scrapper/MA-Regen, the quality choice
    4. Mordrack/50/Controller/That sweet, sweet Speed Boost.
    5. Blau Maschine/40/Scrapper/You know you love shockwave

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hmm, I could have my kat/inv up to 40 by then, but...man, those are the three villain groups that render my secondary pretty much useless, I'll probably pass on this one.

flammiebc on
    Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
    PSN: LucidStar_BC
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Dude, bring the Kin. Nobody's gonna complain about 2 speedboosts :P

Alternately, get Sanguine to 45 by friday.

ProfessorPolycarp on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Septus has issues with things shot out of guns (guntron guntron lol).

:lol:

D:
    Septus wrote: »

But how else am I going to get it to the west coast?

Build a little birdhouse in your soul to house a pigeon to fly the thing.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

t Beast: I've been wanting to do the Recluse SF for a long while, but you're right that the folks around here pretty much never play villains.

EDIT: Woah, weird timing.
    wow, i looked at that job description and crazy, i'm also qualified for that...i'd love to do it, i used to live in orange county but the move to the bay area wouldn't be TERRIBLE..if only i wouldn't have moved to NYC for a job a year ago..sure i really like it here but yeah, crazy having a software engineer position open for a game company that DOESNT need game programming experience

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Man, the official forums are crazy sometimes. Its amazing the number of people who seem to feel that they're owed compensation because they bought CoV and now the devs are giving it away to accounts that don't have it. The sense of entitlement some folks have is disgusting.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    CitrusCitrus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I haven't had a chance to play my tank in awhile, so I'll do Sara Moore.
    Sara Moore Signups

2. Lime Tank/50/Tank/I like pain.
    3. Glaciater/50/Blaster/Level 50 mentor for above two slackers
    4. Class Action/47/Scrapper/MA-Regen, the quality choice
    5. Mordrack/50/Controller/That sweet, sweet Speed Boost.
    6. Blau Maschine/40/Scrapper/You know you love shockwave

Also with the merger, wonder what will happen to all the posters promoting cryptic around paragon city and the isles.

Citrus on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Corvus wrote: »
    Man, the official forums are crazy sometimes. Its amazing the number of people who seem to feel that they're owed compensation because they bought CoV and now the devs are giving it away to accounts that don't have it. The sense of entitlement some folks have is disgusting.
    That said, I wouldn't mind a badge for owning both.

Glal on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You kinda sorta do... wait... nevermind (was thinking about the CoV/CoH anniversery badges)

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Corvus wrote: »

Yeah, I've seen this exact situation in a couple games before, and it's a bit annoying. But there was no other compensation in those cases, either, and it wasn't like there was a player revolt or anything. The people who were upset got over it.

I mean, just think of EQ and EQ2 -- you have the option of buying each new expansion at full price, or waiting a while (even less than a year at times) and buying bundles. And there are a LOT of expansions. For CoH/V, it's even harder to make a case to be annoyed... I mean, they long ago released the GVE pack, and were people upset at the newcomers who got CoV for "free" then?

But anyway, Glal's idea of a "I really bought CoV" badge couldn't hurt. (But it's not straightforward... do you give it just for boxed single copies of CoV or for GVE too?)

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Sara Moore Signups

7. Sieve/50/Scrapper/Broad Sword lolz. Also I can bring my 42 Defender if you need Mad Healz instead

Citrus wrote:
    Also with the merger, wonder what will happen to all the posters promoting cryptic around paragon city and the isles.

I'd think NCSoft would keep the Cryptic name around, at least as a brand identifier, like how Vivendi keeps trotting out Sierra's corpse - Weekend at Bernie's-style - every so often.

The only people I feel kind of sorry for are us poor saps who bought CoV for $50 at retail, when it was like $30 only a month or less later.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Let's not forget that Sharkhead has a giant 3D Cryptic logo in it. :P

Scooter on
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, no go with the Sara Moore TF this weekend. I apparently signed up to go to my brother's girlfriend's party. Poo.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Interesting summary of some Positron interview on w00t radio (from the official boards). Spoilered for long.
    Neutra wrote:
    The following is from the Interview with DJ Jester tonight. All of this information is mixed and taken from both Lighthouse and Positron. I didn't note who said what while I was writing all of this down, my apologies.

NC Soft Acquisition

* The original NC Soft Production Team, that was working alongside Cryptic in the past, will also be moving into the new NorCal Studio, along with all of the current CoH Developers.
    * Brian Clayton will be the actual Studio Head at the new studio, HOWEVER, as far as anything Design wise goes, Positron will be in charge of that.
    * Positron has always had a lot of ideas for the game, but in the past, they had to ultimately pass through Jack, and thus some weren't always agreed upon. With the new studio and arrangement, this will not be the case. Now...
    * ...as Posi said, "The buck starts with me."
    * The biggest reason for giving all current players access to the Villain side, who did not previously have it, boiled down to simply wanting more people to be able to play with more of their friends. In the end, people should remember that these people will only have access to the Villain content. They do not get the bonuses that came with the GvE, Collector's or Pre Order boxes that other people paid for.

Plans for NorCal Studio

* One of the goals at the new studio is to hire a lot more Engineers to come in so that Bases can be worked on and fixed. Base Raiding, IoPs, everything is going to pushed to get working.
    * Manticore, aka Sean Fish, left Cryptic last December and is now working with NC Soft at their Austin office. However...
    * ...because Manticore works -with- NC Soft and NC Soft now owns CoH, dun dun dun, the Devs will be able to access Manticore and that juicy brain of his, and tap into the giant living story of CoH that resides in it. Because of this, ideas from him will have great potential to be an occasional part of the game later on.
    * IF, and this is -IF- in-game advertising is ever done, it will be done -RIGHT- and will be done in such a way that it will be immersive. According to Brian, Customers -WILL- have a way to opt out of it if they choose. Also, according to Positron he -WILL- find a way to give players the option to turn it off.
    * As for how the Development team will work internally, they really love the way they do things now, how the flow of issues is going and so forth. They will continue to work in this way at the new studio.
    * In the future, when more talent comes into the studio, they will try and maintain this style. No one can predict how the extra manpower will ultimately work into what they have now, but the vision of quality that has always been present within the game will not change whatsoever. It will be maintained and to do so, they will streamline things as they come up with all the new people.
    * They have a lot of goals for the future, and they will most definitely organize their future manpower as best as they can to meet those goals.
    * With more manpower later on, the "glass ceiling" on the Development Team will be raised and a lot more stuff will be doable.
    * There is a lot of stuff planned that will be coming Soon.

Issue 11, Winter Event and Beyond

* Issue 11 has been in the works for a really long time. There was something it correlated with by chance, but I forget what they said it was.
    * Weapon Customization in Issue 11 has -NOT- brought them any closer to Power Customization, contrary to what some people may think or say.
    * There will be more weapons with every Issue.
    * The Winter Event will be reopening the Ski Chalet, however, it will be improved "in a way the players would appreciate."
    * There will still be no clowns. Something else was said about clowns, but I had a phone call, so I missed it.
    * There was some joking around about killing Statesman off because of the move, but there are no plans to kill him or any of the other key figures anytime in the "near" future. Who knows about later on though....
    * There was some other stuff about the boards that Lighthouse commented on, but I missed it.
    * I think I may have missed another thing that Positron talked about since I was on the phone, but this was after the main interview was over and they were just talking.
    Perhaps with Posi in charge he'll finally fix his TF. Also, Lighthouse posted that I11 is likely to be post Thanksgiving at this point.

ProfessorPolycarp on
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I11: Posi TF changed to a single blinkie mission with a Pool D drop confirmed.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Actually, they're gonna make it so the Positron TF (and only that TF) allows you to select the pool drop you want from a list.

Also, saying "Positron is AWESOME" in outdoor broadcast will triple xp for the next 10 minutes.

ProfessorPolycarp on
  • Options
    ReaperSMSReaperSMS Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So, last night, I ding 18, and get Divine Avalanche on my kat/reg scrapper finally (long story, mostly involving some suspect picks earlier)

Dear god, how the hell did I go 10+ levels without this?

Time to bump the slider.

ReaperSMS on
  • Options
    deke55555deke55555 regular
    edited November 2007
    [QUOTE=korodullin;3481306
    Sara Moore Signups

7. Sieve/50/Scrapper/Broad Sword lolz. Also I can bring my 42 Defender if you need Mad Healz instead
    [/quote]

I'd be interested in showing up, I'd be happier bringing my 41 blaster, but if the group needs it more, I've got my 50 Kin defender. (Superjump in the shard makes me cry though)

deke55555 on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    The blaster is fine, we already have one kin. Sign up though..THE LIST MUST GO ON.

Edit: Here I signed you up..
    Sara Moore Signups

2. Alex Vaughny/41/Blaster/Recall Friend!
    3. Lime Tank/50/Tank/I like pain.
    4. Glaciater/50/Blaster/Level 50 mentor for above slacker
    5. Class Action/47/Scrapper/MA-Regen, the quality choice
    6. Mordrack/50/Controller/That sweet, sweet Speed Boost.
    7. Blau Maschine/40/Scrapper/You know you love shockwave
    8. Sieve/50/Scrapper/Broad Sword lolz. Also I can bring my 42 Defender if you need Mad Healz instead

Post your blaster's actual name and I'll fix it.

Also that reminds me..does anyone on this list have recall friend?

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    My Dark Defender does if you'd rather me bring her.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    deke55555deke55555 regular
    edited November 2007
    The blaster is fine, we already have one kin. Sign up though..THE LIST MUST Also that reminds me..does anyone on this list have recall friend?

Oops, I'm sorry, I suck. Alex Vaughny 41 blasterer. With recall friend!

deke55555 on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Don't hesitate to sign up people. We do have 8 people but things can always be worked out.

deke55555 what is your global name anyway? Are you in the Penny Arcade channel?

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    hey guys, i'll bring my 39 brute along..alright, cool rad!!!!

:D

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, I might be able to bring my 42 kin def along.

It largely depends on how long it takes me to get settled in on Saturday, it's still uncertain as to whether I can make the start time or not.

flammiebc on
    Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
    PSN: LucidStar_BC
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I was thinking today (shocking, I know), about the SG roster size increase in I11. Do we want to set a policy on how many characters a person can have in the main SG? At least two each seems like a natural, but do we want to go higher? Three seems reasonable. We could have fifty active members with three characters each in the main SG with the new limit of 150.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Since nobody commented on my post last page about the interview, I figure some of you may have missed one particular bullet (maybe it's just cause Scoot hasn't shown up since the post :P).
    Positron wrote:
    One of the goals at the new studio is to hire a lot more Engineers to come in so that Bases can be worked on and fixed. Base Raiding, IoPs, everything is going to pushed to get working.

ProfessorPolycarp on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    New Content >>>>> Bases

3 weeks after i11 drops we can start salivating over bases and pvp and such

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Oh, agreed. But the last round of discussion was about the repercussions of the acquisition. Thought this added a bit more info to that.

ProfessorPolycarp on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Mostly I'll wait for when they actually hire people. Right now it's, "Well we want this and we want that and we were thinking about Gear's mom...." which isn't really more than a bunch of hot air.

The talk that is, Gear's mom isn't that hot.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Cue "Gear's mom is so ugly..." jokes.

Even if all the pipe dreams do come true, it's a fact that getting the talent hired & spun up is going to take some time. Maybe they'll pick up the dude that did Battlecruiser 3000AD? That'd be hawt.

ProfessorPolycarp on
This discussion has been closed.