As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fear [The Walking Thread]]: Also fear SPOILERS, of which there are many in here!

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Things of note from the last episode:

Daryl of all people needing help wrt driving stick in a beat up truck? I don't buy iiitttt.

Daryl holding his shotgun in such a manner that he was prepared to obliterate his own face? Whyyyy.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Taking her out to scavenge with them was colossally stupid and out of character for everyone involved.

Maybe her a little less but still a really dumb way to move the plot forward.

steam_sig.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Taking her out to scavenge with them was colossally stupid and out of character for everyone involved.

Beats the comic book alternative.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

It's been forever since I read it.

care to remind me in a spoiler?

steam_sig.png
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

It's been forever since I read it.

care to remind me in a spoiler?
    Abraham gets the arrow?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    So at the beginning of the episode when Carol started asking about losing the crossbow and Daryl was all "I shoulda killed those people, you hear that audience, remember that shitty episode where I let those people live?" it was super obvious we were getting Abroham's comic death in the ep. After Kirkman has said he regrets not keeping Abraham alive for All Out War I figured the death goes to somebody else though.

Then after they immediately started giving Doc McSoda way more screen time than she usually gets, it became pretty obvious what was coming. Didn't really care for the character so I was meh on the whole thing.

Really the only thing I loved in this episode was Eugene saying "You don't spit game, you are game," and then talking about how he's levelling up in real life just like in tabletop and video game RPGs.

• MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I'm just glad Eugene tied back that horrid mullet

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    I'm just glad Eugene tied back that horrid mullet

Eugene is an awkward weirdo and the mullet's part of that! He's one of the best characters on the show and the mullet totally fits his personality.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    So for me last episode should have been called "we change the entire tone of the show by having every single character on-screen do the opposite of what they've done the last five seasons, all at once"

I mean it was a good episode, heartbreaking, well written, but nothing happening made any goddamn sense whatsoever. It's like every single character woke up after a bender and just didn't get moving until 3:00 PM and forgot where they parked the car.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    So for me last episode should have been called "we change the entire tone of the show by having every single character on-screen do the opposite of what they've done the last five seasons, all at once"

I mean it was a good episode, heartbreaking, well written, but nothing happening made any goddamn sense whatsoever. It's like every single character woke up after a bender and just didn't get moving until 3:00 PM and forgot where they parked the car.

Are you saying it was like watching people behave unprofessionally for 60 minutes?

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Honestly it feels like there are different writers writing characters, Carol's retcon alone just feels out of sorts with how she'd been prior to this.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Fuck that whole Carol thing.

reVerse wrote: »

I just don't understand what happened to her. It really feels like in that time skip there was an entire season's worth of dialogue and positions that radically effected the characters and we had zero indication about it.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Preacher wrote: »
    Honestly it feels like there are different writers writing characters, Carol's retcon alone just feels out of sorts with how she'd been prior to this.

This. Like I don't understand what the writers were doing.
    Everyone is just gliding over Denise's death because they didn't care about her character or it wasn't the same person from the comics or whatever, but what you don't understand is Denise represents a LOT of people watching this show. She's not particularly skilled, she hasn't had time to adapt to be a seal team six member like Rick and crew, she's just trying to find her place in a hard, broken world. My wife, last night, spent five minutes telling me how much she identifies with Denise because in the zombie apocalypse that would be her, but without the medical training, so even less useful. She beamed with joy about how the writers could craft a genuinely believable character in a fictional world. Then, Denise was shot through the eye, gruesomely, mid speech, to the point where the writers even had her keep talking as the brain ceased function. That literally broke my wife. She cried over it and had trouble sleeping because of it. It was just so damn unnecessary.

Five minutes after this happened, she was in a hole so we could focus on Carol getting in an RV so she can go find herself.

You know what, on further reflection. Fuck last night's episode. It wasn't particularly well written. It was shock and awe for the sake of moving the plot further and to quote Dewey Cox's father...

..."The wrong kid died..."

amateurhour on
    It's funny the first half of the season nothing of interest happened, the back half too many stupid things are happening. COME ON!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    The first few episodes, all the stuff set on the same day, were the best the show has ever done, IMO. If they'd managed to keep up that pace, would've been something really special.

Oh brilliant
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

I just don't understand what happened to her. It really feels like in that time skip there was an entire season's worth of dialogue and positions that radically effected the characters and we had zero indication about it.

I guess
    Maggie being pregnant was the tipping point or something? If so it was poorly written

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular

She's not a prisoner. Going out was her decision. In fact she said she'd do it herself if they weren't going to help.

Also, everyone seems to be missing the fact that she was a psychologist and was using the whole outing as a means to both get medicine and also help 3 people out emotionally (including herself). I really don't see what was stupid about the whole thing. I don't want to watch a bunch of Left4Dead bots set to expert run around the apocalypse.

edited March 2016
    So It Goes wrote: »

I guess
    Maggie being pregnant was the tipping point or something? If so it was poorly written

Carol spoilers.

I'm just at a loss as to what happened that Carol went from the wolf murdering at all costs psycho in sheep's clothing. To someone who is radically affected by killing more dangerous people to protect alexandria and then just leaves because she can't kill anymore? Like who is this Carol? Where was this Carol in any of her previous alexandria discussions. Did she get a brain injury when she got knocked out?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    can't open it, put it in a new post Preach

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular

She's not a prisoner. Going out was her decision. In fact she said she'd do it herself if they weren't going to help.

Also, everyone seems to be missing the fact that she was a psychologist and was using the whole outing as a means to both get medicine and also help 3 people out emotionally (including herself). I really don't see what was stupid about the whole thing. I don't want to watch a bunch of Left4Dead bots set to expert run around the apocalypse.

Nope but
    she was the doctor

Which means it was stupid on a galactic scale.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Carol spoilers.

I'm just at a loss as to what happened that Carol went from the wolf murdering at all costs psycho in sheep's clothing. To someone who is radically affected by killing more dangerous people to protect alexandria and then just leaves because she can't kill anymore? Like who is this Carol? Where was this Carol in any of her previous alexandria discussions. Did she get a brain injury when she got knocked out?

So that you guys can click the spoiler

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Thanks Bowen, stupid weird spoiler things. Probably because I didn't close the tag as I was in the lazy habit of letting the board do it for me.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I don't have a problem with Denise going outside the walls with them
    I do have a problem with how Rosita and Daryl handled it, which was to be complete dicks to her, have no semblance of a detailed plan, to insult her as stupid as much as possible instead of maybe, maybe, teaching her some shit about how to be outside the walls. Instead, let's make fun of her for puking.

Like, fighting about which route to take? Are you 12? Fucking work together when your life is on the line.

Buttcleft wrote: »

Nope but
    she was the doctor

Why? Just because she's a doctor? Should she be locked up then or something?

• GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

She was a psychiatrist, not psychologist. Basically it means she was fully trained as a doctor. That puts a much higher value on her for a number of reasons, but mostly nit picking cause it's my field.

Carol spoiler
    I think it was the kid dying that broke her. They have done a lot to establish in the back half how she is kind of torn up over how it went down, and possibly blames herself. Note the cookie on the grave. The problem is these have mostly been like half second scenes that they don't really connect at all.

Well ok the absolutely snapping point was meeting what's her name savior and realizing she was going down the same path. She is choosing not to be the person who sacrifices kids for the greater good and I can't say I blame her.

Nope but
    she was the doctor

Sort of? I mean she's an extremely limited resource in a world where any long term injury can not only kill you but everyone else.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Yeah the doctors of a collapsed society would basically be royalty. No reason to risk yourself, we'll send out 18 people instead.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular

Nope but
    she was the doctor

Nah you're right.

Let people with irreplaceable skills go get killed. Not like we really need them anyway, what with all the functional colleges and other myriad institutions churning out new people every where.

Oh right..

they don't..

because its the fucking apocalypse.

• JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Well they have a bunch of trained and well equipped scavenging soldiers to go to pharmacies and get medicine. They should've just told her "you're not going with us." If she wanted to leave Alexandria alone she could've, but she had no business out there doing what they were.

She demonstrated over and over during the episode why that was too. Insisting on stopping to try to find soda in a cooler when they all know that Negan's people are around the area. Poking around the pharmacy instead of playing it safe. They got what they came for. The only thing more stupid than the stuff she did was Daryl forgetting why they didn't take the tracks on the way to begin with, or agreeing to take the short way back.

Be careless, get killed. It's how it works in that world.

Joshmvii on
    edited March 2016

Nope but she was the doctor

No one is saying she should be locked up, but it was just completely out of character to the point where it didn't make sense, i.e. the writers were just throwing darts at a board.

this hamfisted "I'm a shrink so this is therapy" thing was stupid. She can have therapy inside the walls, where she can also do her other job, which is keeping people alive.

Here's my issue.
    It's pretty obvious Tara is going away, the actress was pregnant and the fact they weren't even attempting to hide it and just had her fly off with rando #1 who has had five minutes of screen time over 13 episodes pretty much proves that. So it's like they all said "hey this character with the potential for a real connection to others since she's one of the few that's normal, yeah let's just kill her off since Tara won't be around. We'll keep Abraham instead cause he's all funny and shit"

I dunno, it just seemed pretty weak to me, and this show hasn't really had that problem before.

edit: okay, I closed the spoiler tag, so fuck if I know why that isn't showing correctly.

amateurhour on
    Gnizmo wrote: »

She was a psychiatrist, not psychologist. Basically it means she was fully trained as a doctor. That puts a much higher value on her for a number of reasons, but mostly nit picking cause it's my field.

Carol spoiler
    I think it was the kid dying that broke her. They have done a lot to establish in the back half how she is kind of torn up over how it went down, and possibly blames herself. Note the cookie on the grave. The problem is these have mostly been like half second scenes that they don't really connect at all.

Well ok the absolutely snapping point was meeting what's her name savior and realizing she was going down the same path. She is choosing not to be the person who sacrifices kids for the greater good and I can't say I blame her.

My issue with that is that Carol wasn't there when Sam died, so I have no idea why she blames herself for what happened to him. Also she literally killed a child and wasn't that affected by it.

The comparison to the saviors she ran into was so ham fisted and tacked on. Like Carol was older and more hardened than any of them, her worry about becoming one of them is ridiculous if anything she was the thing they should have wanted to ascend to.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    You need to remove all previous spoilers in your post, even quoted ones.

Nope but
    she was the doctor

No one is saying she should be locked up, but it was just completely out of character to the point where it didn't make sense, i.e. the writers were just throwing darts at a board.

this hamfisted "I'm a shrink so this is therapy" thing was stupid. She can have therapy inside the walls, where she can also do her other job, which is keeping people alive.

Here's my issue.
    It's pretty obvious Tara is going away, the actress was pregnant and the fact they weren't even attempting to hide it and just had her fly off with rando #1 who has had five minutes of screen time over 13 episodes pretty much proves that. So it's like they all said "hey this character with the potential for a real connection to others since she's one of the few that's normal, yeah let's just kill her off since Tara won't be around. We'll keep Abraham instead cause he's all funny and shit"

I dunno, it just seemed pretty weak to me, and this show hasn't really had that problem before.

edit: okay, I closed the spoiler tag, so fuck if I know why that isn't showing correctly.

it's all wonky

lets see if quoting you changes anything

Fixed. Thanks Bowen.

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    I don't think I agree with the general consensus here on Carol.
    In that this whole thing is badly written or unjustified. Experiencing trauma isn't rock paper scissors. Just because something doesn't break you the first time around means experiencing something similar or lesser will have no effect on you. In reality this shit is cumulative.

People who deal with real life bad shit typically don't just put it down after it happens. You carry it around with you. And if you're lucky you have ways to lighten your load from time to time that are healthy. Or you drink, or lose your temper or become depressed if you're not so lucky.

The point is that Carol is now a woman who has had four children die that she feels partly or wholly responsible for. And after the first time her response was to harden herself. To become someone who was willing to kill two of her own people in order to stop the spread of a disease. The second time she was willing to kill a child, with all caveats aside is still just that. Now a child she did her absolute best to terrify in order to avoid suffering repercussions for theft is dead after he came undone surrounded by the walkers she used to put the fear in him.

And then she goes on a kill first, ask questions later mission and Maggie and her unborn baby almost get killed while shes watching over them. And she gets to meet the ghost of Zombie Christmas future. And after getting Maggie to safety she decides she can't kill anymore.

Sometimes people just have enough.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I am confused by the people who don't understand Carol.

Like, the last episodes have made it pretty clear that this wasn't "oh, she never used to care, and now she suddenly does." It was "she's always cared, but never let herself show it because she needed to be strong."

You can complain it's a retcon, but it's not exactly complicated. Why's she conflicted? Because she's always been conflicted. Why did recent events suddenly push her over the edge? Because that's how shit works - your cup fills, and once it's full it's full. Doesn't matter if the next thing you add is a bucket or a droplet, shit is going to start spilling out.

I'm not wild about her decision at the end here, but it's not like it was hard to follow.

As to Denise:
    It's funny that some people are arguing that she should basically be locked up because she's a valuable asset, because that's basically the antithesis of both her arc in the last episode, and the whole season.

Her point was specifically that you can't just shut yourself in a box and refuse to live life, because then what's the point? She needed to get out and do stuff because she wasn't living. She would rather risk death if it meant she got to do the little things that were important.

Meanwhile, the season is about the Saviors, and their philosophy that you do whatever you need to do to survive, period. Someone has what you need? Kill them and take it. You have a doctor? Then you lock them in a box and make them doctor and fuck em if they want to do anything you deem dangerous. Because they're not a person, they're an asset.

Civil War! I'm on Team Denise.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.

Nope but
    she was the doctor

Nah you're right.

Let people with irreplaceable skills go get killed. Not like we really need them anyway, what with all the functional colleges and other myriad institutions churning out new people every where.

Oh right..

they don't..

because its the fucking apocalypse.

So if you have important old world skills you should be shut away from everything? Hell, why not keep them in a prison? Granted, that's pretty short sighted as nobody would ever want to be a doctor again.

My point is that regardless of who you are or what you do, you're going to want to eventually do something that is meaningful to you as a person. If you just "fill your role" what's even the point?

In fact, the idea of locking up skilled people to "protect" them sounds like an interesting plot point. It shouldn't be the norm however.

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    As to Denise:

Civil War! I'm on Team Denise.

Also I think its no accident that her and Eugene's arcs were paired with each other this episode.
    Eugene once was believed to be a valuable asset to his group. And he took that belief and wrapped himself up in it and people died protecting him and it was toxic. He never would have grown if he wasn't found out to be a fraud, he'd still be that Eugene.

But Denise wanted to be more then that after seeing that it was possible to change. Eugene is now trying to change because he has no other real option.

Now luck has a huge part in how it played out for the two of them, but it was always going to be a factor anyway.

RedTide on
    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
    The character changes feel outside meddling to me. Like they were told they couldn't keep a large cast so they are killing/removing them. It doesn't feel organic at all.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.