As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Most Artisanal of Cozies [Artsy Farts and Crafty Asses]

DedwrekkaDedwrekka MetalHell adjacentRegistered User regular
edited March 2016 in Social Entropy++
By day I paint in beige and brown,
By night I paint the sun,
I find myself in the joy of working,
Only when the working day is done.
-Aaron Wilson

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
-Pablo Picasso

Building a bed?
Painting a pond?
Drawing a dog?
Crocheting a cravat?
Vectoring your way to victory?
What are you making?

Post your projects and feel free ask for advice or help.

Got any secret weapons, favorite sites, advice on crafting? Share them and feel free to @ me and I’ll post them on here in the OP.

Dedwrekka on

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    9h2gxlprbzqf.jpeg

Ive been making this guy lately

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    that's fucking cool

BahamutZERO.gif
    With how many times I stabbed myself with the wire im suprised it isnt red

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    Double post, but this photo shows how simple the thing actually is

x0cgs5rwdgi2.jpeg

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    So, I'm trying to branch into limited lapidary. Extremely limited, actually, given that the tools needed for the majority of what falls under the term are super expensive and have a large workspace footprint. Also messy.

so for now, I just have a temporary mess containment rig (modified cardboard box lined with plastic), a dremel and a couple of diamond bits. And lots of water. Anyway, below are my first two test cases: the left one, I thought I might be able to cut in half, but I quickly realized just how much of a pain in the butt that'd be without a proper tabletop tile saw. The other is a first attempt at making runes.

the stones are onyx

fdsrfwtdwc3g.jpg

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    double post

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Some designs for custom Netrunner tokens. Advancement tokens, (5x) credit tokens, and (1x) credit tokens. The advancement tokens are on the back of the credit tokens and form a single pattern when put together.
    0edc8c54-bfa8-4781-845a-7b4f2f09b136_zpsmuidgjbd.jpg

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Also thanks for the help in the other thread guys. The coping saw did a great job on my coffee grinder and if fits great under the counter now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgoGJ7ekppY

It's not perfect, but it's something in an animation style I would never have tried before. I'll stop there, because the more I say about it the more anxious I am about showing it to anyone.

xibnvdmrbzq3.jpeg

Making one of these

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    That music makes it sounds like the beanie is going to go over his head and suffocate him.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    oh my gosh I'm glad I found this.

I need knitting help.

pattern is for a little vest.

Using main color, work in stocking st for rem (beg with knit row), dec one st at each end of 3rd row, then in every foll 6th row until 75 sts rem, then in every foll 4th row until 65 sts rem.
    Work 1 row/s.

I understand everything except for the italics parts. stocking stitch for remaining.... what?
    and then the last line work 1 row/s? what does the /s mean?

@tynic @Usagi @ceres @Cello

anybody else that does knitting as well.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I think it just means work in stocking stitch for the remainder of the vest, from that point on. I assume the pattern was different before that point.

I can't really parse the work 1row/s bit

Do you have a link to the pattern perchance?

Edit: that last bit might be just added on to get to the correct side for whatever you're supposed to do after it?

Like, blah blah blah, work in stockinette, do the decreases, and then when you hit 65 stitches do one more row before moving on to the next section

knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    it's from a book that I picked up at the local artsy store

but I took a photo of the first page of it.

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp188/lonelyahava/Mobile Uploads/20160401_174650_zpsk0fjevvw.jpg

Bluebottle where do you get your plans for your paper craft thingies? I kinda want to give a go at trying one.

Oh ok. Yeah, it means work one row. The instructions are written so you can make multiple sizes if need be. That's what the numbers in parentheses are for. So when it says "work (1,3,1,7) row/s" it's worded strangely to account for the possibility that people will be making one row or multiple rows at that point. If you were making the next size up it would be more rows.

And because just prior to that section you were working in garter stitch, it says work in stockinette "for rem." Or remainder in this context. Because sometimes pattern writers like to use dumb abbreviations.

but remainder of what? it doesn't give a number of rows to work there's no 'work 7 rows in stocking" or anything like that.

unless that graph/chart thing at the beginning is how long to work the vest to? like work until it's 35cm for newborn size? is that what it means?

edited April 2016
    oh my gosh I'm glad I found this.

I need knitting help.

pattern is for a little vest.

Using main color, work in stocking st for rem (beg with knit row), dec one st at each end of 3rd row, then in every foll 6th row until 75 sts rem, then in every foll 4th row until 65 sts rem.
    Work 1 row/s.
    anybody else that does knitting as well.

Ok so you've worked the 5 rows of garter stitch. Now you change needle sizes and start working in main color. You have 87 stitches.

Knit one row
    Purl one row
    On row 3, decrease 1 at start, knit to 2 stitches from end, decrease 1 at end. 85 stitches remaining
    Work 5 rows of stockinette
    Repeat row 3. 83 stitches remaining
    Work 5 rows of stockinette
    Repeat decrease row. 81
    Work 5 rows ss
    Repeat Decrease row. 79
    Work 5 rows ss
    Rep dec row. 77
    Work 5 rows ss
    Rep dec row. 75
    Work 3 rows ss.
    Decrease row. 73
    Repeat those last two things until you hit 65
    Work 1 row.

If my math is right, your decrease row will always be a knit row

The chart at the beginning is to help you decide which size to make it.

knitdan on
    now see. if they'd just written it like that!

urgh.

Thanks @knitdan

hey y'all.

So Hancock Fabric is closing down.

so everything is 20+50% off.

including their website.

fabric, yarn, everything.

best of luck for your wallets

edited April 2016
    REWHGZs.jpg?1

Progress!

Bluedude152 on
    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Just so you know, @Bluedude152

That image is 2.6 megs

Might want to put it behind a link or edit it

IKknkhU.gif
    Dangit forum upload you are suppoused to fix these things

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    It shows a thumbnail at the bottom, also it says it's 1.1 M, FYI. Too big for these here forums.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    You can still click on the thumbnail if you wanna see the cool fox.

There all fixed

I didnt realize Clive made it into the photo!

Someone in Print Club started making these cool owl plushes. That thing has bottle cap eyes and newspaper sewn in. Its rad

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I've still been on my gunpla kick, my latest builds:

rtE4Lac.jpg

LPMcn9M.jpg

I just got a respirator in the mail the other day so now I'm going to try airbrushing the next kit I build.

I've been quilting!

well Mom and I have been quilting.

Made a whole 2.5 sets of placemats so far! Just need to put the other one together and sew them up.

and then onto a table runner present for some friends.

and then... I dunno. Maybe a baby blanket

I made a thing! These are a really simple thing called Egyptian Coils.
    3aihayb3h4pd.jpg

I recently realized that I hadn't actually made anything outside of class, for a while. So I decided to try making at least one project a week. This is week one.

jnij103vqi2i.png
    Arts friends!

I am just about finished with the table runner and placemats for friends. just need to handsew the seams shut on the placemats and have mom show me how to sew the binding on for the table runner (silver metallic! cause who doesn't want some bling?).

I've got another quilt project started, have my design on paper, my cut list figured out and all the fabrics, just need to cut the pieces and then go from there. This is going to be just the quilt top and a backing, as it's destined to become a duvet cover.

And I've just started on a crochet blanket for a coworker. He and his wife are having their first child after many many many tries and 3 goes with IVF. I've known they were expecting almost as long as they have since my coworker was talking to me about pregnancy all the way through the process. I could not be more excited for them. So I'm working on a hexagon baby blanket in yellow, tan, grey, white and I'm trying to find a stuffed bee to go along with it since the colors remind me of bees and honeycomb.

I've also got some good quality dk/8ply wool sitting and waiting to go on my needles for that vest pattern for my little lady, and just found another knit cardigan pattern.

Sometimes insomnia has its benefits!

Crochet is so much faster than knitting, oh my gosh.

Here's the first go at my Week 2 project (probably going to be earrings). The next step involves figuring out how to make it in bulk and reduce the time spent in production. Pretty fun to make, regardless, though.

hep4c3zuntah.jpg

jnij103vqi2i.png
    New pencil box!

10e836a6-1fd7-4fe3-9082-b0bb0f4894a1_zpsvs07hekz.jpg
    e9539ee7-20b8-4315-9b90-ec74300d2740_zpskdjogwpx.jpg

What's the cover design of?

jnij103vqi2i.png
    How do the pens not fall out when it is closed? of is there a lid?

Blake T wrote: »
    How do the pens not fall out when it is closed? of is there a lid?

Yeah, you can kind of see it in the second image at the top. It's a piece that separates when open and is tightly fit while closed.

edited April 2016
    Table runner all done!
    5mnaq48almaf.jpg

Decided to make matching placemats
    siy281wfyzzc.jpg

All together
    nfzaunr0rzh1.jpg

And now a sneak peek at the next quilt, a duvet cover
    puyl5c8pfe1n.jpg

Edit: Christ those things are big. Are they too big filesize wise?

lonelyahava on
    edited April 2016
    Have you heard of Fordite? It's pretty neat!

The place I work at produces a whole bunch, so I've been collecting it while on patrol (with permission from one of the team leads). Here's a starter piece I've been working on, to get used to it. This is after some light sanding with 320 grit and some car polish applied with a microfiber cloth.

It's coming out pretty well.
    994mmw8dxrmo.jpg
    whlsqptrbosd.jpg

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png