As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Superheroes] Superman inadvertently snaps neck of Rotten Tomatoes score.

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    Giving a bad review is a god dang art unto itself. You have to keep focus on it so it's not just saying increasingly hyperbolic insults. Those are the spices not the dang meal.

Roger Ebert's movie reviews of movies he hated are some of his best work, imo. The man was really great at tearing down movies that upset him in a way that was both critically sound and satisfyingly brutal.

I'll never get tired of reading those books

Sometimes I page through them just to make myself happy

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I'm looking forward to Half in the Bag myself

https://youtu.be/l4u-HLm8maE

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I would have to guess Fox, since he's a mutant and has led X-Teams.

Captain Britain isn't a mutant, though. Like, at all.

And Excalibur was more X-adjacent than a real X-book.

He refers to himself as a mutant throughout most of Excalibur. And his sister and brother are mutants. It may be retconned away by now but he definitely was considered one for a long time.

And Excalibur was the coolest X-Men team.

I don't recall him referring to himself as a mutant... He got his powers from Merlin and Otherworld. I don't see any mention of him being a mutant on his Wiki page either.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I would have to guess Fox, since he's a mutant and has led X-Teams.

Captain Britain isn't a mutant, though. Like, at all.

And Excalibur was more X-adjacent than a real X-book.

He refers to himself as a mutant throughout most of Excalibur. And his sister and brother are mutants. It may be retconned away by now but he definitely was considered one for a long time.

And Excalibur was the coolest X-Men team.

I don't recall him referring to himself as a mutant... He got his powers from Merlin and Otherworld. I don't see any mention of him being a mutant on his Wiki page either.

Marvel specifically identifies him as half-otherworlder, half-human. No x-gene.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    fucking shit Hans Zimmer's Superman theme is so good

it makes me so fucking mad

goddamn it

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Man of Steel looked so good from the trailers.

sig.gif
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Looks like Starbrand & Nightmask, Illuminati and Angela: Queen of Hel might be canceled. (their trade collections aren't volume ones and they have disappeared from solicitations)

Yyyyyyyyyyup.

Two more issues of Angela left. Hopefully Sera and her will begin popping up in other Asgard series, but I'm not holding out hope since I feel they could solve all the current problems very quickly and sensibly via stabbing everything.

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Believe it or not, I much prefer doing good reviews than bad ones. I think it's more fun to dig into a film's themes than try to tear them apart.

Granted I gave one bad review that I was exceedingly stoked about. Probably the most vicious I could have gotten. But I don't think I have that in me for more than like a movie a year.

EDIT- also a good review means I saw a good movie. So it's an inherently a better experience.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    and the hints at the justice league stuff is honestly laughable. bruce has a bad dream about superman working with darkseid (you don't see him but there's the omega symbol and parademons and apokolips furnaces all over the place so it's obvious) and then after the dream motherfucking flash shows up OUT OF NOWHERE in an awful looking costume screaming some shit about not letting lois die and realizing he went back too far. it's the most inane, out-of-left-field shit i've ever seen and it honestly makes no sense other than to be a thing for marks to clap at in the movie theater (which of course they did, despite how fucking random it was) and then it turns out lex has a bunch of files regarding metahumans on his computer, each handily already sporting their own logo! it's basically a bunch of security footage feed of flash, cyborg and aquaman that isn't exciting in the least and, in my opinion, goes over like a wet fart
    I just had a random thought about those BVS spoilers.
    Maybe it's just because of my personal take that "time travel has a well organized and obvious priority list" but going back in time and saying that you "went too far back", but still not being far back enough to stop the events of Man of Steel seems like crazy pants.

"We have to save Lois Lane! Oh no, I went too far back!"
    "This isn't 1930, 1950, 1965, 1973 or 2013, so I think you actually stopped too soon!"

If
    the Flash traveled to a time when Darkseid has already conquered the world, it would make more sense if he didn't travel back far enough.

Also, did Flash time travel into Batman's dream? Because it would be really dumb if Batman having a precognitive nightmare wasn't explained.

My guess about Wonder Woman giving the vision to Batman because she got it from the Oracle would have made way more sense.
    bruce wakes up after the darkseid dream and suddenly the flash is there and wakes up a second time after flash gives him the message so it's supposed to be taken as a dream i guess but it makes no sense as bruce shouldn't have any idea what lois has to do with superman at that point in the story

it's confusing and abrupt and i can't understate enough how bad the flash suit looks

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Positive reviews bore me to death, describe painful garbage to me

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I want you to waste your time, then let me waste my time reading about it

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Moviebob went on twitter a few days ago and basically asked for more Patreon contributions because his numbers were dropping; this was after he spent a couple months being late or skipping his petreon funded reviews (like films and MCU TV eps) while doing work for Screenrant and publishing compilation books of his old escapist articles.

It's like, come on dude.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    fucking shit Hans Zimmer's Superman theme is so good

it makes me so fucking mad

goddamn it

the theme is pretty much entirely absent from the movie, btw. there are a few instances of the sad piano version here and there but the sweeping theme from the first flight scene or the credits is completely gone

edited March 2016
    I think positive reviews often fail because people only go into what was good as opposed to why it was good. A lot of that is because it's a lot easier to recognize why something sucks.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Moviebob went on twitter a few days ago and basically asked for more Patreon contributions because his numbers were dropping; this was after he spent a couple months being late or skipping his petreon funded reviews (like films and MCU TV eps) while doing work for Screenrant and publishing compilation of his old escapist articles.

It's like, come on dude.

Still not as bad as Digital Homicide asking people to fund their lawsuit against Jim Sterling.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Moviebob went on twitter a few days ago and basically asked for more Patreon contributions because his numbers were dropping; this was after he spent a couple months being late or skipping his petreon funded reviews (like films and MCU TV eps) while doing work for Screenrant and publishing compilation of his old escapist articles.

It's like, come on dude.

Still not as bad as Digital Homicide asking people to fund their lawsuit against Jim Sterling.

Oh yeah, that's not even in the same league.

That's like comparing someone who didn't wash thier hands after pissing to someone who just shit on the floor.

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Man when are we getting more old thoe issues of Thor

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Looks like Starbrand & Nightmask, Illuminati and Angela: Queen of Hel might be canceled. (their trade collections aren't volume ones and they have disappeared from solicitations)

Yyyyyyyyyyup.

Two more issues of Angela left. Hopefully Sera and her will begin popping up in other Asgard series, but I'm not holding out hope since I feel they could solve all the current problems very quickly and sensibly via stabbing everything.

Well Angela is going to be a cast member in the new Loki series.

Vote_Loki_1_Schiti_Variant.jpg?1458404750

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to Half in the Bag myself

https://youtu.be/l4u-HLm8maE

Oh yeah, RLM will make a tremendous video about it, I'm sure

The ones for both Amazing Spider-Man movies are pretty good too

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »

Yyyyyyyyyyup.

Well Angela is going to be a cast member in the new Loki series.

Vote_Loki_1_Schiti_Variant.jpg?1458404750

Really digging the juxtaposition between her Asgardian armor and Secret Servician sunglasses.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

I'm still curious as to exactly how Standoff will lead into Civil War 2.

SB&NM was pretty much a foregone conclusion, that book tanked incredibly hard. Issue 3 sold under 10K, which is kind of amazing.

Was Illuminati any good?

SB&NM was pretty much a foregone conclusion, that book tanked incredibly hard. Issue 3 sold under 10K, which is kind of amazing.

The first issue was under 25k, IIRC, which for a first issue is TERRIBLE.

There are many things to be said about 1989 Batman but it does have one of the best Joker moments compared to all other versions of the character

https://youtube.com/watch?v=QiAonyJIV_A

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited March 2016

It's like, come on dude.

That's like comparing someone who didn't wash thier hands after pissing to someone who just shit on the floor.

Maybe if they're funded they can actually afford an attorney.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    DoctorArch wrote: »

It's like, come on dude.

Maybe if they're funded they can actually afford an attorney.

Here's how much they've raised so far
    $200 of $75k

Good luck fella.

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    it'll be a cold day in hell before i ever like a youtube film review

6vjsgrerts6r.png

Let's make one.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular

Let's make one.

a media empire built on talking about gorosaurs and being too drunk to figure out how editing software works

6vjsgrerts6r.png

Let's make one.

a media empire built on talking about gorosaurs and being too drunk to figure out how editing software works

Many say they like to write drunk and edit sober. The latter would require Gorosaurus to ever be sober.

aGPmIBD.jpg
    Uproxx posted their BvS review and it's not too kind

http://uproxx.com/movies/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-review/

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Yeah everyone is putting out their reviews and the reactions I am seeing as very much that it is a very average or below average movie

Entertainment Weekly gave it a C+ and they usually review the big blockbusters very kindly

CYpGAPn.png
    4 RT reviews in, all negative.

edited March 2016

I'm seing 6/7 negative on RT.

EDIT: 8/9 now. This is going to be interesting.

Undead Scottsman on

I'm seing 6/7 negative on RT.

Yeah they're starting to trickle out.

Slash Film gave it a 6 out of 10.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

I suddenly want us to force Rorshach to make a youtube review series reviewing other Youtube film reviews.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508

I suddenly want us to force Rorshach to make a youtube review series reviewing other Youtube film reviews.

I can make this happen.

I just need a box, some string, and some coors light tallboys.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
This discussion has been closed.