As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Superheroes] Superman inadvertently snaps neck of Rotten Tomatoes score.

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    RT currently at 13%

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    The things that are going to drive me crazier than the negative reviews are the positive ones that can't compliment the movie without taking a swipe at the Marvel movies (see: Deadpool reviews)

6F32U1X.png
  • LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    The two reviews I saw seem to agree that BvS' biggest sin is that it's just plain boring.

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Uproxx posted their BvS review and it's not too kind

http://uproxx.com/movies/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-review/
    Once a colony of bats literally lifts Bruce Wayne up in the air as a Christ-like figure, you’re probably watching a movie that takes itself pretty seriously.

Holy crapbaskets.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Gotta hand it to them, dull was not a complaint I expected to see in reviews over and over.

I guess they really bought into their whole BS about making SUPER IMPORTANT MOVIE.

• BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    I like Man of Steel! (For crying out loud, I even like Batman Forever.) But Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice just lands with a big thud.

Those are... some really low standards BvS is failing to meet. Guess I'll skip this one.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
    I just remember leaving the theater from Man of Steel feeling like I had been assaulted by sound after the last 45 minute long shitstorm of a fight. It wasn't exciting, it wasn't compelling or tense or memorable. It was like being punched in the goddamn head over and over again by a jet turbine.

• Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    Uproxx posted their BvS review and it's not too kind

http://uproxx.com/movies/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-review/
    Once a colony of bats literally lifts Bruce Wayne up in the air as a Christ-like figure, you’re probably watching a movie that takes itself pretty seriously.

Holy crapbaskets.

it's literally one of the first things that happens in the movie and it's hilarious how terrible it looks

woof

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I'm still seeing this Thursday but for free. Hopefully I won't feel ripped off.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    I'm still seeing this Thursday but for free. Hopefully I won't feel ripped off.

i didn't pay money to see it and my ire for the movie grows with each passing hour

it's just such a mess in every way

IGN gave it a 6.8 out of 10.

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    It sounds like a lot of the fan theories for the movie are much better than the actual movie.

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    On the one hand, I'm getting tired of everyone in my extended friends group asking me if I'm going to BvS, if I've got tickets already, if I want to see it additional times with them so I can be their guide to all the nerd lore that they might not pick up on.

On the other hand, it means I have an opportunity to tell them why I don't intend to see it, and why I strongly recommend that they not see it either. This plummeting Rotten Tomatoes score is sure helping those arguments.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
    I wonder what the .2 was that kept it from a 7
    Decimal reviews are dumb

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Yeah everyone is putting out their reviews and the reactions I am seeing as very much that it is a very average or below average movie

Entertainment Weekly gave it a C+ and they usually review the big blockbusters very kindly

Entertainment Weekly gave Battleship a B+

Battleship

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    Giving a bad review is a god dang art unto itself. You have to keep focus on it so it's not just saying increasingly hyperbolic insults. Those are the spices not the dang meal.

Roger Ebert's movie reviews of movies he hated are some of his best work, imo. The man was really great at tearing down movies that upset him in a way that was both critically sound and satisfyingly brutal.

Reviewers and critics are at their best when they cover the excellent or the execrable.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Yeah everyone is putting out their reviews and the reactions I am seeing as very much that it is a very average or below average movie

Entertainment Weekly gave it a C+ and they usually review the big blockbusters very kindly

Entertainment Weekly gave Battleship a B+

Battleship

Honestly, I've seen worse movies in theaters than Battleship

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular

Hmm now I wish I could go back to saturday and just shake Mark Waid's hand for being a cool dude

RT now up to 37%

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    Being dull might be one of the worst outcomes, because that might stifle the entertainment value of some of the reviews.

Though based on what I've heard, there seems to be plenty of terrible to go into.

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    WB, you should know you fucked up when you can't get me to see a movie with Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman in it

I saw Deadpool opening weekend, and I don't even like Deadpool

Your avatar seems appropriate @Keith

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    http://variety.com/2016/film/reviews/batman-v-superman-review-dawn-of-justice-1201735801/
    Thomas and Martha Wayne have been killed so many times in so many different media that their deaths may as well be one of the stations of the cross

I'm not sure this vaguely pretentious simile really works

• NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    man

Cavill was so cool in UNCLE

just let him be a cool fun Superman guys

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Giving a bad review is a god dang art unto itself. You have to keep focus on it so it's not just saying increasingly hyperbolic insults. Those are the spices not the dang meal.

Roger Ebert's movie reviews of movies he hated are some of his best work, imo. The man was really great at tearing down movies that upset him in a way that was both critically sound and satisfyingly brutal.

Reviewers and critics are at their best when they cover the excellent or the execrable.

Makes sense, really. With movies that are really bad or really good, there's a lot to discuss. With a really dull movie, what can you really say? What's there to analyze in a competent but uninteresting movie that doesn't do anything remarkable one way or the other?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I'm hoping Rob Bricken from IO9 does one of his F.A.Qs, cause the MoS one was hilarious.

Oh my god thank you for pointing me to this
    Young Clark: So I’m kind of thinking I should use my powers for good, to help people and stuff.

Pa Kent: HOLY SHIT NO. You must never reveal your powers to anyone! People will figure out you’re an alien! The government will take you away? Got it? You must never help anyone ever.

Young Clark: Even if it’s a schoolbus full of children about to drown?

Pa Kent: Especially if it’s a schoolbus full of children about to drown! You just sit there, and watch them drown, one by one.

Young Clark: That doesn’t seem right.

Pa Kent: And if for some reason someone else saves the bus, IT IS UP TO YOU TO PUSH THAT BUS BACK IN THAT LAKE AND MAKE SURE THOSE CHILDREN DROWN.

Young Clark: Wait, what?

Pa Kent: YOU ARE GOING TO BE A BEACON OF HOPE WHEN YOU GROW UP, CLARK, A BEACON OF HOPE THAT WATCHES CHILDREN DIE WHEN HE COULD HAVE EASILY SAVED THEM.

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular

Makes sense, really. With movies that are really bad or really good, there's a lot to discuss. With a really dull movie, what can you really say? What's there to analyze in a competent but uninteresting movie that doesn't do anything remarkable one way or the other?

Movies that are only competent are a fucking nightmare to review.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Seems like BvS didn't even quite clear the bar of more of the same. I felt like Man of Steel was still fairly well made despite the whole Not My Superman, and missing logical plot sense issues that otherwise ruined the movie.
    Part of what made it look so good in trailers. Individual moments were strong, good music, good looks..often. New one has looked pretty iffy in most trailers. Wasn't sure if that was because I already experienced Man of Steel and that colored my view of BvS.

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I haven't really read reviews yet, but it seems the general opinion is that Wonder Woman is one of the few good things about the movie?

That makes me happy for some reason

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    That's...pretty good casting.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    God I hope he has the eye covering mask from the cartoon. I always hated the open face on the live action tick.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

Keith wrote: »
    I haven't really read reviews yet, but it seems the general opinion is that Wonder Woman is one of the few good things about the movie?

That makes me happy for some reason

she's fine for the like 5 minutes of screentime she has

Newsarama gave BvS a positive review.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    God I hope he has the eye covering mask from the cartoon. I always hated the open face on the live action tick.

As long as they keep the remote controlled antennae, I'm happy.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    we definitely don't need updates for each individual site that reviews batman v superman

we definitely do need updates for each individual site that reviews my big fat greek wedding 2 however

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    The Hollywood Reporter
    Frank Scheck
    Mar 21, 2016

That it all works to the extent that it does is due to its undeniably sweet depiction of a close-knit extended family whose members truly care for and help each other. It's cinematic wish fulfillment in this era of broken families and far-off relatives who keep in touch via social media.

PNk1Ml4.png
This discussion has been closed.