As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fighting Games] Discussion Round 3 - Fight!

• ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Shingo originally wasn't in 2002. He was added to a japanese Dreamcast port along with King and the Ex Neo Blood characters Moe and Oogami.

He must be in the Live/PSN re-release.

EDIT: I want Eiji. Need more ninjas.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    I know I say this a lot, but...

Momoko.

SnK pls ;_;

• cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    God I loved Last Blade so much.

I had no idea it existed for the longest time and discovered it kind of at random. I played the bajesus out of it. I wonder if there is a home or updated version like they did with MoTW.

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    last blade got a PC port in one of the SNK humble bundles i think? check humble bundle i think it's there here it is

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I can't recommend that port. There's no real versus mode and there's no controller re-mapping. Very sad.

If you have a Japanese PS2, you should get the collection they released of Last Blade 1 & 2. I realize it's a horribly inconvenient prospect, but this is the best version of the game out there.

EDIT: Never mind. The PS2 versions added slowdown.

Rex Dart on
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Last Blade 2 is a fantastic game that everyone should play.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Anyone in here getting Pokken Tournament? Just curious.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    you must be lost, this is the fighting game thread

boom, got em

I am picking it up tomorrow, though.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    We got our copy this Wednesday (the shop we order from ships them ahead of time so it arrives on release day. However, it's 1-3 day shipping and it usually arrives early), been having a lot of fun with it! I did discover the D-pad on the knock-off Wii U Pro gamepads we have are terrible for fighting games though, luckily the game supports Wiimote+WiiPro pads. Thanks, Monster Hunter investment, you're paying forward!

Walt wrote: »

That's the one on SE++. This one is a mere shadow.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I ordered an 8 gate thingy so my EX Legs stop becoming EX Spinning Bird Kicks. I'm really grateful for the new TE2+ modability.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    Walt wrote: »

boom, got em

I am picking it up tomorrow, though.

He just got prank'd.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    i picked up pokken

i like it alot

machamp and gengar are dope

game has rock paper scissors for attacks/grabs/parries

you can dash cancel parries ala sf4 fadcs

zoning and pressure characters exist

nacho libre pikachu is op as fuck

J3qcnBP.png
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Yea, I am liking Pokken a lot. I think I am 4-2 or so online (unranked). My two losses were frustrating as fuck though. Gengar I just couldn't handle. Kept spamming fireballs. And the fire fox did the same. Apparently I can't outrun them going to the side? Bleh.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    The online Yomi community just had its KBR vs FChamp at Winter Brawl X moment last night. I may never stop smiling!

"This is JUSTICE!"

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    played a bit of yatagarasu earlier

pretty smooth and responsive

the sprites take me back to the days of playing dreamcast stuff

the menus were fucking killing me though

i couldn't handle it and peaced out pretty quickly

• DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    I ordered an 8 gate thingy so my EX Legs stop becoming EX Spinning Bird Kicks. I'm really grateful for the new TE2+ modability.

I swapped out the 4 gate I was using for MKX for an 8 gate for SFV. The 8 gate just feels MUCH better for Street Fighter.

Pokken looks fun. I would pick it up if I had a Wii U, and I've never played a Pokemon game.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

That was amazing. Arturo's sim is just so crazy. All the options available.

But lets be honest. That commentary is the real champ.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Yea, I am liking Pokken a lot. I think I am 4-2 or so online (unranked). My two losses were frustrating as fuck though. Gengar I just couldn't handle. Kept spamming fireballs. And the fire fox did the same. Apparently I can't outrun them going to the side? Bleh.

I've been told that one method to counter projectile pressure is to use your counter attack at range to eat the projectiles, and then do the cancel-dash towards your opponent to close the gap.

• TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

I've been told that one method to counter projectile pressure is to use your counter attack at range to eat the projectiles, and then do the cancel-dash towards your opponent to close the gap.

Pokken is fun but man I feel so stupid. I really cannot understand Tekken controls for some reason. It seems so alien compared to Street Fighter. Probably doesn't help I pretty much never play 3D (as in movement) fighters.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I feel the same way. I suppose one advantage I have is that I just cannot grasp the Street Fighter-style games (or at least, not Skullgirls, which seems super combo-heavy), but something like Pokken, with what appears to be a focus on power hits and brief combos, feels like something I can eventually learn.

• mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    [awesome video]

Damn.

That was amazing. Arturo's sim is just so crazy. All the options available.

But lets be honest. That commentary is the real champ.

God I love fighting games. When you see a sick match like this, and people are losing their minds? I. Fucking. Love. It.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    I feel the same way. I suppose one advantage I have is that I just cannot grasp the Street Fighter-style games (or at least, not Skullgirls, which seems super combo-heavy), but something like Pokken, with what appears to be a focus on power hits and brief combos, feels like something I can eventually learn.

So, something like street fighter?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    the phase shifting of pokken interests me

so there's this one segment of poking and positioning and trying to stay mobile and catch dudes out

then there's the shift into a more close-up, traditional kind of arcade fighter thing where you're controlling a much smaller amount of space and trying to engage, get some combos in there, and disengage safely

the whole idea of shifting when it favors you and not the opponent really adds something to all of this

throw some other nifty mechanics in there and i kind of wish i had a wii u, though something about online play seems kind of jittery and wonky

at least that's what i've gathered from the streams i've been watching i dunno maybe it's a lot better as a personal experience

Liquid Ghost on
  • fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    i have been playing so much pokken

rip sf5

J3qcnBP.png
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Haitani vs. Tokido.
    Possibly the best match I've ever seen.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    It depends on the speed of the projectile and the speed of the pokemon doing the evading, you can lose them by just running sideways, just not in all match-ups. However, if you don't want to do counter-dash cancel you can also just double-tap to the side, it will break the lock of homing projectiles.
    You can also use your homing attack while holding to the side, the rush will happen in an arc rather than a straight line.

I've had the AI rush me, then grab me instead of hitting me. Need to figure out if their rush just simply ran out of juice right before the hit landed and they queued up a grab instead or if you can cancel into a grab (which would be fantastic, as it's really easy to counter a rush when you know it's coming).

Alex Valle is great. I remember being on SRK way back in 2001 reading about him and B3 when I was working my first post college job at night. I love that not only his he a great player. But even after all this time he's been doing work to keep the scene going.

• TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    It depends on the speed of the projectile and the speed of the pokemon doing the evading, you can lose them by just running sideways, just not in all match-ups. However, if you don't want to do counter-dash cancel you can also just double-tap to the side, it will break the lock of homing projectiles.
    You can also use your homing attack while holding to the side, the rush will happen in an arc rather than a straight line.

I've had the AI rush me, then grab me instead of hitting me. Need to figure out if their rush just simply ran out of juice right before the hit landed and they queued up a grab instead or if you can cancel into a grab (which would be fantastic, as it's really easy to counter a rush when you know it's coming).

Grabs seem really slow, as if there is a several frame delay between when you initiate it and when it connects. Are the grab speeds/range normalized? The normal level cpu kept canceling the grabs with normal attacks even when it looked like I connected (I was using Gengar). Maybe I'm just too used to 1 frame grabs from Street Fighter 2.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
    edited March 2016
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Alex Valle is great.

I need to finish watching the episode. I detest it when Mike and Ryan try to be cocky.

Rashido!

EDIT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHmn8bMD8uc

Good stuff.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

Uh. Isn't "Mike being cocky" the entire Excellent Adventures shtick?

(With either "and then getting destroyed" or "and then barely eking out wins" as modifiers of that? And occasional breaks of "Mike being salty.")

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular

(With either "and then getting destroyed" or "and then barely eking out wins" as modifiers of that? And occasional breaks of "Mike being salty.")

All the time!
    Basically they're both old men getting angry at the younger generations that have fleetingly passed them by.
    Ryan/gootecks will usually admit that he's not playing too well, Mike, however, refuses to admit fault and will always blame the player that just absolutely trounced him.
    Still entertaining to watch if they have the right guests on.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    evilthecat wrote: »

All the time!
    Basically they're both old men getting angry at the younger generations that have fleetingly passed them by.
    Ryan/gootecks will usually admit that he's not playing too well, Mike, however, refuses to admit fault and will always blame the player that just absolutely trounced him.
    Still entertaining to watch if they have the right guests on.

He's also totally hamming it up for entertainment though. Valle was on the last ep, though, and since the game is still new (as of that recording) it's cool to see everyone on the couch learning and feeling stuff out, too.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
    That explains guests being used to compensate. I know it's not fun seeing them crush online, sometimes new, players. But the 'I took some acting classes' attitude is what I don't like.

Zhi's Excellent Adventures are more of my thing. Must the Red Bull overdoses.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    That explains guests being used to compensate. I know it's not fun seeing them crush online, sometimes new, players. But the 'I took some acting classes' attitude is what I don't like.

Zhi's Excellent Adventures are more of my thing. Must the Red Bull overdoses.

Oh, Christ, I've never rheard Zhi on the mic without some kind of sexual harassment. I mean, at least Infiltration seems into it?

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    zhi's commentary is actually really informative and good when he isn't making jokes (so, . . . rarely)
    at least in SF4 it seemed like he was super knowledgeable about the game and knew about all sorts of weird character specific setups and tech (from hanging out with top japanese players and talking with them? idk)

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whPsb6o9muM

Gaaaaaddam.

Tokidoes what America doesn't.

XBL - ArchSilversmith