As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mass Effect - 8 days until you already know what happens from the spoilers you read

• Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well, yeah. I'm just wondering how different. Like, will there always be one person saying, "stick to the mission" and one person saying, "save the miners" or will the squad make-up dictate whether or not there's even a question?

Grid System on
  • Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm sure it'll be much like KOTOR in that respect, where incidental conversations will happen at different points entirely based on your squad makeup, and if you have a squad which doesn't have a conversation at that point, it won't happen.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • JimJimBinksJimJimBinks Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Houn wrote: »
    Heh, Pancake, I was playing Gears last night as well. That's funny. Anything to fill the gap, eh?

I played Oblivion for about an hour last night. Mostly just messing around with the character creation.
    Then I decided that was really sad, jumped on my PC, and shot a bunch of people on 2fort.

JimJimBinks on
    steam_sig.png
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Knob wrote: »
    Tell me this isn't a hard goddamned choice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMRi8tYYnEs

I hadn't seen that before, but it's amazing.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • VranaVrana Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Pancake wrote: »

I've been on a blackout for this game for months, but I was weak and watched that.

Oh my god.

Oh. My. God.

My head is about to explode with anticipation.

Vrana on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    That Wrex confrontation video is pretty God damn awesome. I don't know what choice I'd make. Bloody Hell!

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Massive Spoilers ahead, by the way.

Taramoor on
  • Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I don't get it, it seems like you don't actually have much of a direct choice in whether or not you're going to help him out. It's more like, flip him off or just try to break it to him a little softer.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Vrana wrote: »

I've been on a blackout for this game for months, but I was weak and watched that.

Oh my god.

Oh. My. God.

I was literally speechless.

Grid System on
  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    I don't get it, it seems like you don't actually have much of a direct choice in whether or not you're going to help him out. It's more like, flip him off or just try to break it to him a little softer.
    Well the person playing stuck to the two top options. It probably went (from top to bottom) "Yes!" "Eh, okay" "No!".

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Vrana wrote: »

Oh my god.

Oh. My. God.

I was literally speechless.

That was pretty fucking excellent. There are bits where the various actors seem to take slightly too long to begin speaking again, and just standing and talking to a person isn't much more interesting, simply because it involves a lot of standing in one place anyways. But man. When it's seamless, when someone's angry at you and emphasizes it by pulling a goddamn gun?

It's like Cutscene Stupidity Disorder has been excised!

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Goomba wrote: »
    Well the person playing stuck to the two top options. It probably went (from top to bottom) "Yes!" "Eh, okay" "No!".

Yeah, I've got a feeling I saw (later on) "what do you want from me?" or something like that. I would imagine that earlier, there's a more compliant option, where you can ask Wrex what he thinks you should do, that will give you more conversation options down that path.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited November 2007
    He was generally picking the least extreme options, not once did he go for the bottom which is always the insensitive route. It just seemed like different levels of reasoning with him.

Maybe it's not until the end of the confrontation that you get the chance to turn it around.

Alucard6986 on
  • Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Taramoor wrote: »

What was a spoiler about that?

Amazing, btw.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I love how at the very start Sheperd basically swaggers up the beach and is all 'ok, what the fuck is going on here. sit-rep'

so badass.

The_Scarab on
    edited November 2007

I thought all of this was pretty predictable even from the original snippet we saw of it back in the first character spotlight.

Alucard6986 on
  • UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'd think it's a pretty big spoiler for someone on total blackout.

...I still don't know all that much about going on, but I did assume that at some point you'd get to attempt to cure Wrex' species at some point in some way...the whole
    "Saren's trying to gather an army of Krogan"
    might be a bit more spoilerish...plus it also kind of sounds like it's at least in the middle of the game.

UltimaGecko on
    The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Amazing, btw.

I thought this was a different clip when I saw the start of it.

250px-VB218.jpg
    IGNORE ME!

Taramoor on
    edited November 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    I love how at the very start Sheperd basically swaggers up the beach and is all 'ok, what the fuck is going on here. sit-rep'

so badass.

Is it Wrex sauntering through the background? Because there's someone in the back of that shot who's just mincing along like a hero.

edit: about 25 seconds, it's not Wrex, but that walk is just amusing to me.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited November 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »

so badass.

Is it Wrex sauntering through the background? Because there's someone in the back of that shot who's just mincing along like a hero.

edit: about 25 seconds, it's not Wrex, but that walk is just amusing to me.

It's one of the Salarians with a funky helmet on.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
    edited November 2007
    And a funky strut to match.

See the Salarians they be walkin' like this: doot doot doot...

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I really hope the dialogue selection blurb doesn't interfere too much with my actual dialogue choice. Like if it says, Geth, and then my character says something like, "I fucking love those guys, let's go have a picknick" I'mma be a little upset.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
    edited November 2007
    I wonder if your "alignment" will affect how you say that stuff.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The youtube preview leaves me wondering one thing, though.
    Is Wrex to be the official Whining Bitch of my party? Is he going to shuffle around, grudgingly, bellyaching "my people" this and "my people" that for the whole time? That type of sci-fi character (think Constable Odo from DS9) is unbearable. Fuck your people, dude. They were bent on wiping everyone else out, they had to be stopped. Now stop crying about it.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Shoggoth wrote: »
    I really hope the dialogue selection blurb doesn't interfere too much with my actual dialogue choice. Like if it says, Geth, and then my character says something like, "I fucking love those guys, let's go have a picknick" I'mma be a little upset.

From what I've seen, they are pretty good at getting the idea of the contents of the selection across.

Also, if in doubt, they have a very logical set up going on there.

The right side of the radial interface is direct responses and the options are set up like so: top: positive response, middle: neutral response, bottom: negative response.

The left side are inquisitive responses, which you generally are able to select to gather more information than would be available by selecting the options on the right side.

So without even looking at the options, you'll be able to get the general attitude of the response based simply by its position on the radial interface.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited November 2007

From what I've seen, they are pretty good at getting the idea of the contents of the selection across.

Also, if in doubt, they have a very logical set up going on there.

The right side of the radial interface is direct responses and the options are set up like so: top: nice response, middle: neutral response, bottom: negative response.

The left side are inquisitive responses, which you generally are able to select to gather more information than would be available by selecting the options on the right side.

So without even looking at the options, you'll be able to get the general attitude of the response based simply by its position on the radial interface.

I've no doubt the system is easy to use and well designed, the videos I've seen look pretty good. There could be a scenerio where I'd have picked nice on principle but seeing the other options I might pick something else.

I'm sure it'll be fine though.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
    edited November 2007
    I think that video showed that the agreeable option can be negative to someone else nearby. Such as "Yeah fuck them Krojan" would be cool with that guy, but then that might piss Wrex off.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    onnoticephppu4.jpg

Always great to post this image. I save everything I see.

The_Scarab on
    edited November 2007
    I have no idea what that is supposed to mean. I don't watch the colbert report.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Is Wrex to be the official Whining Bitch of my party? Is he going to shuffle around, grudgingly, bellyaching "my people" this and "my people" that for the whole time? That type of sci-fi character (think Constable Odo from DS9) is unbearable. Fuck your people, dude. They were bent on wiping everyone else out, they had to be stopped. Now stop crying about it.

Generally the correct response to that sensation would be to not actually partner with a person who does that. You're not actually required to.

I mean, if you can't stand a Native American crying a single tear for his land and people, don't bother taking him with you on a road trip.

On the other hand, you could always partner up with him and constantly respond with "Look, fuck you and fuck your people jeez." There do seem to be a good number of "Screw off" options.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    edited November 2007

Frankly, a Geth Picnic subplot would be the best thing ever. I imagine it to be much the same as the beach vacation section from Persona 3.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • S0upS0up Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I am so making Captain Malcolm Reynolds.

I just wish you could edit your two buddies as well...

Just imagine Mal, Zoe, and Jayne, struttin' up that beach. Hot damn.

S0up on
    edited November 2007

Frankly, a Geth Picnic subplot would be the best thing ever. I imagine it to be much the same as the beach vacation section from Persona 3.

Hahaha

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
    edited November 2007

Generally the correct response to that sensation would be to not actually partner with a person who does that. You're not actually required to.

I mean, if you can't stand an Native American crying a single tear for his land and people, don't bother taking him with you on a road trip.

On the other hand, you could always partner up with him and constantly respond with "Look, fuck you and fuck your people jeez." There do seem to be a good number of "Screw off" options.
    That's when he turns around and says "Fuck you" while destroying the rest of your party because he's a fucking Krojan.

Also, he's Wrex, and Wrex is the coolest motherfucker.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    the youtube link a page back.... so many Mass Effect vids I have not seen....

I want this game so gd bad now.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    edited November 2007
    So is it a bannable offense to call Wrex a "whiny bitch"?

Seriously, beardo.

Alucard6986 on
    edited November 2007
    So is it a bannable offense to call Wrex a whiny bitch?
    It should be! Wrex is the coolest,

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2007
    No wait, I forgot, any character who's ever had a chip on their shoulder can't possibly have a good reason. Even if they're an endangered species that can no longer successfully reproduce, they are whiny bitches because they don't have a positive outlook on the inevitable doom of their entire race.

Alucard6986 on
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    No wait, I forgot, any character who's ever had a chip on their shoulder can't possibly have a good reason. Even if they're an endangered species that can no longer successfully reproduce, they are whiny bitches because they don't have a positive outlook on the inevitable doom of their entire race.

I agree about this.

If I felt responsible for my race in the way that Wrex apparently does, I would not stop at anything to give them another chance. If there is no reproduction, there is no hope of rehabilitation. That's not excusing what the Krogan did or what they may do, but Wrex is at least some kind of proof that they aren't homocidal maniacs who cannot stop themselves from trying to take over the galaxy.

devoir on
    edited November 2007
    Well, for all the fretting over that character swap feature, it turns out it's not... anything exciting, at all really.
    Tarmack wrote:
    The character system does not allow for swapping in new characters on an existing campaign.

Basically if you create a character (customized face, name, background etc.) then that character has dedicated save games. So you can create numerous characters and each has their own save games much like a gamer profile.
    Yep, as Tarmack mentioned it is a matter of loading in anotehr saved game and then catching up to the same point.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
This discussion has been closed.