As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - The Didactic Order

2»

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Today the jury awarded Hulkster another $25 million in damages, including $10m from Denton personally.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I think we can all agree that no one deserves to join the ranks of the super rich more than Hulk Hogan.

Except maybe Randy Savage, on account of the whole "dying to prevent Armageddon" thing. But barring that, we can give it to the Hulk.

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Daulerio only got dinged with $100,000, but that's okay given that his net work is $-27,000. The real victim here is the student loan program.

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    Daulerio only got dinged with $100,000, but that's okay given that his net work is $-27,000. The real victim here is the student loan program.

It really brings life into focus when you go to college, pay out the ass in student loans, never put anything away for a rainy day, and your best known work is describing Hulk Hogan's steroid abused body laying pipe, before it drives your publisher out of business.

Seriously, watching Hulk's attorney grill Denton was a thing of beauty. Apparently Denton had described the article as "sympathetic and humanizing" so Hulk's lawyer had him read it, verbatim to the jury, and even challenged Denton to use his most "sympathetic and humanizing" voice. I have to give Denton credit, he gave it his best effort.

It was still a god damned horror show.

Every Gawker employee they had on the stand seemed shocked to be exposed to people who exist outside of their sociopathic snark bubble. That the jury went into deliberations with the intent to wipe Gawker off the face of the Earth is no surprise what so ever.

Sadly, they did probably overreach. It's hard to believe it will stand up on appeal.

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    If there's one Gawker employee I hope lands on their feet from all this it's Charlie Jane Anders. Lady knows her sci-fi back to front and she's a great writer. Seems to be a good human being too from what I can tell, choice of employer aside.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Yeah, there's a few good/balanced writers on Gawker.

Denton finally responded to their loss in a post of his own today. It... is not particularly helpful, imo.

edit: also:
    The plaintiff’s lawyers, with the occasional assist from our witnesses, successfully painted Gawker as representative of an untrammeled internet that good and decent people should find frightening and distasteful.

I think it was more of an "own-goal" than an assist from Daulerio.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    JermsJerms Registered User regular
    Tigrerojo wrote: »
    Seriously tho, this comic seems rather... hypocrital from a guy that drew Game Developers as a Buddist Monk and Game Journalist as a FRICKING SCORPION...
    You forget, he had to actually work with Kuchera.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Jerms wrote: »
    Seriously tho, this comic seems rather... hypocrital from a guy that drew Game Developers as a Buddist Monk and Game Journalist as a FRICKING SCORPION...

Yeah, I hate working with people who are good at their job.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »
    Jerms wrote: »

Yeah, I hate working with people who are good at their job.

http://www.p4rgaming.com/the-penny-arcade-report-famed-satirical-video-game-journalism-website-shuts-down/

Opinions may differ on that. I think scathing satire points out his shortcomings best.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Cool.

I on the other hand enjoyed reading his articles at Ars as well as most of the stuff he wrote for PAR.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    This all seems to have fuck all to do with anything.