As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii U] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    darren66 wrote: »
    Hmm, lots of activity in the thread.. Did something happen?

Oh.

*cries*

I totally expect Nintendo to double down on the Wii U mistake with another Gamepad.

Well, I mean, they kinda need some kind of gimmick or something. Nintendo probably can't afford to make a console on par with whatever Sony might put out next because they don't have the gorillions of cash Sony and Microsoft do. A Nintendo console is probably going to need to do SOMETHING beyond standard.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular

So that's why that guy had no backstory in the movie, they were saving it to add value to the Lego spinoff.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »

Oh.

*cries*

I totally expect Nintendo to double down on the Wii U mistake with another Gamepad.

Well, I mean, they kinda need some kind of gimmick or something. Nintendo probably can't afford to make a console on par with whatever Sony might put out next because they don't have the gorillions of cash Sony and Microsoft do. A Nintendo console is probably going to need to do SOMETHING beyond standard.

IIRC they have gorillions of cash. They just prefer to save it rather than spend it.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I think the often-quoted, rarely-cited quote is that they have enough money to suffer at least 3 failures on the level of the Wii U before they'd need to worry.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I like how the new thread title continues to be apt, even on rumors.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Serious question here, did Nintendo actually lose money on the WiiU? I mean, obviously by typical console standards it was a flop, but they moved 10+ million units and sold a bunch of Nintendo-developed software. It was never going to aspire to greater things, but I suspect they still made back their R&D costs and more.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Serious question here, did Nintendo actually lose money on the WiiU? I mean, obviously by typical console standards it was a flop, but they moved 10+ million units and sold a bunch of Nintendo-developed software. It was never going to aspire to greater things, but I suspect they still made back their R&D costs and more.

Nintendo has been operating at a loss ever since the Wii bubble popped.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Remember guys label your confidential property.

Nobody could be this stupid for some internet cred.

Nintendo labels devkits confidential.

See, that looks like a prototype there though, which those "leaks" do not, and rather look like finished products that are coincidentally 1:1 mirrors of the one patent sketch for some reason.

And honestly for dev work? Portability is irrelevant. They'd probably not bother with form factor for pre-release dev kits and just smack on convenient ports (USB, etc.) regardless of what they intended the final look to be (and as a bonus, nobody will assume the kit looks anything like the final product).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

Part of that was due to currency problems, though.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    reVerse wrote: »

I don't think that's true. For example unless this information is incorrect their net has only been in the red twice since 2011. Additionally, a net loss doesn't necessarily indicate money lost on specific projects like Wii U. In the past much of their gain or loss was attributed to the value of the dollar or yen at the time.

Plus, what years did they spend their money on R&D for Wii U? Probably during the Wii years when they showed profits way up, but you wouldn't say R&D cost them nothing just because they were operating with a surplus. And some of the losses currently shown could be due to R&D for the next console and handheld, not specifically Wii U-related losses.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    Hmmmmmmmm.

My considered reaction to all this tomfoolery.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Also uh

There's trees like...everywhere?

• Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular

Oh.

*cries*

I don't think they need a gimmick. What makes Nintendo console stand out from other consoles are Nintendo's games.

Just come out with a games console at a reasonable price. I can't look at the screen of the 3DS and think I got a good deal (money wise) when compared to a phone/tablet. I can't look at the cost of the Wii U vs a PS4/XB1 and think I got a good deal (money wise).

Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options
    Also uh

There's trees like...everywhere?

Hey, you tell me. These people probably have a 10-year stock on tinfoil.

• Options

Oh.

*cries*

I don't think they need a gimmick. What makes Nintendo console stand out from other consoles are Nintendo's games.

Just come out with a games console at a reasonable price. I can't look at the screen of the 3DS and think I got a good deal (money wise) when compared to a phone/tablet. I can't look at the cost of the Wii U vs a PS4/XB1 and think I got a good deal (money wise).

If they are joining the rest of the industry in embracing VR, it sure seems like a good way to make the headset cheaper - just slot your controller into it. That way you don't have to sell people a "VR focused" console and lose a big chunk of them in the process, but your VR peripheral suddenly becomes so much cheaper, or even something you could include with the base console.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I picked up DKC Tropical Freeze now that it's a Nintendo Selects title. Boy that game sure is pretty... and boy I sure don't enjoy playing it. Maybe I'm not remembering how Donkey Kong controlled in DKC Returns but it feels like he's carrying a little extra weight and can't quite jump the way he should. With the Amazon Prime preorder discount I only paid $17.29 but I still feel like I paid too much because its just going to sit on my shelf. Now more than ever I'm salty that Retro worked on this instead of Metroid. God damn shame.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    I'm sorry it failed you.

• Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    DK himself has always been slow. To perform longer/faster jumps you need to roll. It's a lot like classic Sonic in that the characters have weight and momentum that you can use to your advantage. Once you get good enough you're able to do things like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYIZAyNaixk
    (I'm not that good)

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I understand that there's a certain level of technique to it but I'm just not willing to deal with a platformer when it's that frustrating so early on. It's a Nintendo platformer so I'm going to be judging it next to the high standards of Mario. Mario games are easy to control and a blast to play early on. There's a lot of challenge but Mario's momentum always feels right so it's a joy to play. DK isn't.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    Yeah. You might as well sell it back, then. You don't owe the game any more than the attempt you gave it.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    I'm going to Japan in April. I'll plan a break in at Nintendo and report back.

Joking aside, I'm still not convinced by all this.

edzepp on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    For me, the game finally clicked when I figured out how to boost jump off enemies. A staple in platformers for ages and something that should be simple, but I had a 50% success rate with it, and it was pissing me off extremely. Then I figured out it's almost exactly like Cranky's cane jump, and pressing and holding the button at least a second before impact worked every time.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Somehow yet another pic has surfaced. About the same as the rest.

http://i.imgur.com/YsGkiV7.jpg

You know it's a Nintendo controller because it's gathering dust.

HEY-OOOO

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2016
  • Options
    Someone posted an image of a GCN dev kit a while back (it may have been in SE++), but that had the actual confidential sticker, and it was detailed (it even had a dedicated support number on it). The sticker is a dead giveaway on it's own.

• Options
    ...so, that means that the confidentiality sticker's design is known and out on the internet, yes?

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Eh, I'm too tired to give anything any more credence today. Real, fake, doesn't really matter to me now. Back to waiting for actual news.

edzepp on
  • Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    ...so, that means that the confidentiality sticker's design is known and out on the internet, yes?

I mean that a white sticker that just says "confidential" without anything else on it is so blatantly fake.

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Saying that Nintendo can stand out on the strength of their games alone seems ironic. It was just three weeks ago that we were discussing how Nintendo seems to be making a lot of lackluster sequels and spin-offs to some of their long running series lately.

You can't sell your console on goodwill if you start squandering it all the time.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Saying that Nintendo can stand out on the strength of their games alone seems ironic. It was just three weeks ago that we were discussing how Nintendo seems to be making a lot of lackluster sequels and spin-offs to some of their long running series lately.

You can't sell your console on goodwill if you start squandering it all the time.

I mean, it's obvious the majority of what they are putting out right now are cheap cash-ins so the bulk of development dollars can go to NX titles... so...

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »

I mean, it's obvious the majority of what they are putting out right now are cheap cash-ins so the bulk of development dollars can go to NX titles... so...

So we say.

I'll be surprised if the NX has >= 5 titles at launch.

• Options
    Well yes, the cash-ins are the 'squandering the goodwill' part. Too many of them can be damaging.

Hopefully they have some juice left in the tank.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited March 2016

So we say.

Eh, I think there will be a decent lineup. Zelda is guaranteed to be there. I feel like this is a lesson that Nintendo certainly has learned after they fucked it up twice - they were even able to save 3DS by putting out some quality stuff later on but were just a bit too late on Wii U.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options

So we say.

Eh, I think there will be a decent lineup. Zelda is guaranteed to be there. I feel like this is a lesson that Nintendo certainly has learned after they fucked it up twice - they were even able to save 3DS by putting out some quality stuff later on but were just a bit too late on Wii U.

"guarantee" is a strong word.

• Options
    GrebnuGrebnu Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    If the product was shaped like that, there would absolutely be grips. Nintendo has changed the ergonomics of it's controller from devkit to final product before.

I don't know, I'm ingreasingy sceptical about this. Something seems off.

One thing that comes to mind, what if that had good motion controls? I mean, Splatoon with motion assista is a lot better than without. If you had a proper motion controls within small controller, those at least one of the nipples could be used to act like AXBY buttons? Right? And if the stick is a nubby nub, movement is so small that you could rapidly chance directions.

I just love how the internet is exploding right now. Everyone is shouting how they hate that controller, nobody has even tried it. I'd trust Nintendo in controller stuff, they know how it's done properly.

Grebnu on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Grebnu wrote: »
    If the product was shaped like that, there would absolutely be grips. Nintendo has changed the ergonomics of it's controller from devkit to final product before.

I don't know, I'm ingreasingy sceptical about this. Something seems off.

One thing that comes to mind, what if that had good motion controls? I mean, Splatoon with motion assista is a lot better than without. If you had a proper motion controls within small controller, those at least one of the nipples could be used to act like AXBY buttons? Right? And if the stick is a nubby nub, movement is so small that you could rapidly chance directions.

I just love how the internet is exploding right now. Everyone is shouting how they hate that controller, nobody has even tried it. I'd trust Nintendo in controller stuff, they know how it's done properly.

Well I mean

Obviously they differ from you on the opinion that they know how it's done properly

It's not difficult to see why the same reasons you're excited would be seen as detrimental for others

For example, everything you just put in that post!

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Valid conserns is one thing. I can understand that and for example here people are reasonably calm. That is how the discussion should go. The meltdowns are hilarious, but now they start to approach the "Ninty should go 3rd party" -mentality and that sucks.

And, as always, I'll wait and see and preferably try the controller before judging. Gamepad looks pretty uncomfortable at first, but when you use it everything clicks. I like it more than XB360 or PS controllers. Those are too small for me.

I just hate that my thumb start hurting pretty soon if I use controllers, it became dislocated once while working and I just put it in place and continued (big worksite, I'm all alone, my responsibility and deadline was soon). Now it likes to try to pop out every once in while.

And my thumbs look like Arnold Schwarzenegger at his peak, very slim at the bottom and quite wide from the upper part. People used to call my thumbs shovels in school.

EDIT. I think that if Nintendo intends to have a screen in the controller, it will be used more like an inventory or map or something else like that. If they are aiming for a smaller controller this time, it would make sense. And it would be really nice, the convenience of having your inventory open all the time and/or map is just so great.

Grebnu on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

If a bunch of those development dollars go into Bayonetta 3, I'd be OK with that.

(Also a Metroid game starring Samus. Maybe a console Fire Emblem. A new IP of some sort would also be nice, I guess.)

• Options
    Someone with suitable equipment could make something like that. The glass is also really rough at the edges. I am becoming more and more suspicious about this...

Didn't they say something like "if we're going to make a Metroid game, it will be on NX rather than Wii U"? And they were speaking about 2D and 3D Metroids, I believe. Can't remember the source right now, I may be talking from somewhere between my butt cheeks too.