As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pre-PAX Boardgame Night: Ep. 2016, THE DICE AWAKEN

• DeathJest3rDeathJest3r Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    ishtra wrote: »
    as it looks like we're gonna miss this, hopefully we can use this thread to find players/games in our own hotels then. Like set up a list for anyone playing at their hotel looking for others. will have to see, but agreed regarding tabletop time. I have quite a lengthy list of games I want to try while I'm there :D

The PAX tabletop room has used twitter as a fairly successful way of coordinating "looking for more" groups so maybe we can use a similar #TTLFG tagging system for Pre-PAX in the hotels. Obviously some extra precautions will have be taken since there is no central playing space, but we can have groups meet in the hotel lobbies rather than broadcasting room numbers out to the public. Any thoughts on whether this is a good idea?

Honestly I'm surprised the hotels are not providing at least some basic lounge space for the PAX attendees at a discounted rate because all we need are chairs and tables. And without an organized Pre-PAX event, all the attendees are just going to start playing games on any unclaimed surface in the lobby / bar / lounge areas anyway.

DeathJest3r on
  • AppleguysnakeAppleguysnake Registered User regular
    I got called back about the Lawn on D today. Unless I misunderstood, that other tent apparently isn't enclosed. Not sure. Either way, the Lawn should be open to the public on Thursday until 10pm. As of right now, we're planning to set up JS Joust there around 7pm until it closes at 10pm. Everyone is welcome to join, sorry we couldn't save tabletop :(

P.S. I don't use the forums much, should I make a separate thread for Joust, or is that breaking rules somehow?

• MrGone1980MrGone1980 Registered User regular
    Not sure, but I feel like adding a JS Joust night to the parties post might be in order.

• punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I'm just catching up and, even though it sounds like many of you have given up, I'm going to throw out a couple more ideas. None of them will work on their own, but they may work in conjunction with a bit of hotel space, like Lexicongrrl was initially saying.
    1. Knight Moves in Brookline: a gaming cafe right off the T (green line, C branch). They generally have a fee but may be nice and waive it for the night. It is also a bit of a trek from BCEC, but not the worst. From my experience, I'd put it at 30-45 minutes by train, depending on your wait times (silver line->red line->green line).
    2. JJ Foley's: a bar in the financial district. They hosted our monthly Boston PAXers gamenights for free (until it sort of fizzled out) and have hosted our our pre-pre-PAX gamenights when we had them the Tuesday before PAX (for the early arrivals). Even though we haven't been there in months, I think Papa Foley would still be amenable to having us. Of course, it is a bar, so it'd be only for the 21+ crowd. But I think that's ok as long as there are other places without that restriction.
    3. This one is going to sound really off the wall, but here it goes: Harpoon Brewery. They have a large "beer hall" with long tables that would be great for gaming. They have food and drink there too and I know they do events there sometimes. If they are willing to work with us, and could make it an all-ages event, I could see this working as the "main" gamenight for the evening.

Edit: I might also have a couple business contacts I can try to ask to fund if we do want to try the corporate funding option.

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    The second 2 options sound good. Esp Harpoon, b/c that room is Huge!

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • darksteelreaprdarksteelreapr Registered User regular
    I like the harpoon idea as well! Mainly cause they have some great beer!

I am contacting Harpoon and Knight Moves now. JJ Foley's will need either a phone call or an in-person visit. I can do that, but not until Saturday, so if someone else wants to do it before then, have at it.

HI3789R.png
  • iltailta Registered User regular
    Foley's and Harpoon sound really promising. God speed to you, sir. Best of luck! Please let us all know if/how we can help.

• LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Shit, if you can score Harpoon, that'd bloody rule.

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    As someone travelling with minors in tow the Harpoon option sounds promising

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
    punzie wrote: »
    I am contacting Harpoon and Knight Moves now. JJ Foley's will need either a phone call or an in-person visit. I can do that, but not until Saturday, so if someone else wants to do it before then, have at it.

For Harpoon I would be okay with a small cover charge (if we get approved for all-ages) or a 1 drink minimum (if they request 21+) if they are looking for a venue fee to keep the place open late on Thursday for us. I see on their website that they normally close the beer hall at 7pm on Thursday, have they done extended hours for PAX in the past?

• Lady AmaltheaLady Amalthea Registered User regular
    Harpoon would be AMAZING!

Who is going to PAX South?
  • rtm416rtm416 NYRegistered User regular
    I'd totally be ok with a cover charge at Harpoon, and would certainly prefer all ages.

SK3ozR5.png
  • KaronethKaroneth Elder Scrolling Online Co-Host Lakehurst, NJRegistered User regular
    Although I won't have a little one with me this time, I fully agree, and hope that's not a problem with Harpoon which is, after all, a drinking establishment. Next year I hope to bring an 11 year old along with me and so that would be essential.

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Hey all - I've surfaced for air and I'm in Boston this week! I'm going to spend some time tomorrow with hotel managers. @punzie - Harpoon is a brilliant idea. Where do things stand with that? Do you need any help?

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
    It looks like kids are okay at harpoon if they're with their parents. That's s little restrictive for the unaccompanied teens but it's a start. Maybe we can work something out with them for this event.

http://www.harpoonbrewery.com/breweries/boston

• nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    Really glad to hear people are still trying to keep this going. I'm not local to mass but let me know if I can help make this happen!

I heard back from Harpoon today. They sent me their normal event rates and info. The full beer hall holds 140 sitting/300 standing people. However, they normally only allow half the hall to be reserved on a Thursday night. And they require a minimum of $6000 in drink and pretzel sales for a 3hr rental. I wrote back to explain our event better and see if we can get the whole hall. @LexiconGrrl, do you have any idea how much the group has spent on food and drink in the past? Also, if you want to visit me in person, I have no doubt you can explain and negotiate this better than I can!

HI3789R.png
    The hotels usually pull on waaaay more than six grand for game night, but hosting it differently this year presents two wild cards:

A) we don't know if we can do that in 3 hours, or which 3 hours would be most likely.

B) a lot of the night's attendance comes from the convenience of having the event in the main hotel, and walk-ins who join spontaneously. I'm sure the Westin will let us put up signage that night directing people to alternate game night(s), so we'll definitely do that but it's hard to predict how many people will actually go over to Harpoon. It could be hugely successful... Or not.

The important takeaway here is that we need to communicate an understanding of the nature of the event to the Harpoon management and try to convince them to be flexible for this first time since there are some unknowns.

My gut tells me this would be really successful. Do you want to meet for coffee or something today? I'm in Deadham but will be driving up to the city later. @punzie

Yamskar wrote: »
    I talked to the people at http://thecastlebeverly.com/ and they would love to host a game night for Pax Attendees. I'm working through the logistics with them at the moment and would be willing to be the correspondent for that location (If anyone wants to help. I'd appreciate it.) Here's the thing though, Beverly is considerably far from the convention. 30 Minutes by car and maybe an hr by train BUT the Beverly Station is exactly 419 steps from the cafe so its a straight shot from the T to the cafe. So to summarize:
    • "The Castle: A Board Game Cafe" has verbally agreed so far to let Pax Attendees hold a game night in their Beverly Cafe for free. (Working logistics atm, whether its free just to Pax Attendees or free to public etc)
    • This event will require a commute from convention location to venue site of about 30mins to an Hr depending on how you travel.
    • This is a Board Game Cafe. I've been there. Its Amazing. 300+ Different board games.

In the coming days after I finalize most things with them, ill make a new thread on the forums with more concrete details. I hope people would be willing to go/this inspires more people to keep finding locations and volunteering to help.

Actually, this sounds like a great option. If we can't get one big space nearby, getting multiple spaces elsewhere is the way to go (yes, you did read that right :)

I know it's pretty far out but there are always people with cars or people who don't like crowds who will want that. Obv it can't handle everyone but it's unlikely anybody can this year.

We would need to get the location posted early in the thread, and have maps and directions available both ahead of time and in the Westin lobby on the night of, to help let people know about it and get there easily.

I think any boardgame stores/cafes with seating could be approached for this event. Punzie suggested Knight's (the benefit of being local is that she knows all teh spotz) and maybe there are more...?

I talked to the Seaport hotel management group today, they own and operate the Seaport, the World Trade Center in Boston, the Aloft and the Element. They're taking another look at the event. I'll keep everybody posted.

Honestly I'm surprised the hotels are not providing at least some basic lounge space for the PAX attendees at a discounted rate because all we need are chairs and tables. And without an organized Pre-PAX event, all the attendees are just going to start playing games on any unclaimed surface in the lobby / bar / lounge areas anyway.

Nail, meet hammer. This is the leverage that is the most successful in convincing hotels to assist.

Also, if you want to visit me in person, I have no doubt you can explain and negotiate this better than I can!

PS- I meant if you want to visit THEM. Because you can explain it better :p

HI3789R.png
    Also, if you want to visit me in person, I have no doubt you can explain and negotiate this better than I can!

PS- I meant if you want to visit THEM. Because you can explain it better :p

No worries, we'll meet up and hash out a plan.

• ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    would love to see this happen ... hate being an out-of-towner and watching/hoping

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • GhostDanGhostDan Registered User regular
    ishtra wrote: »
    would love to see this happen ... hate being an out-of-towner and watching/hoping

It's all about the love for this event. I wont' even be there till Friday night and I'm still hoping this can happen!

• jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    I think this year will probabably find every hotel lobby full of people just playing games. Since we know the Weston probably won't be doing what they did before anymore, we might have to wait till after this pax and start in earnest looking afterward.

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Another option I thought about this weekend was The Elephant & Castle. They have rooms downstairs which they typically use for Out-of-Office meetings or Fantasy Football draft nights. I can check with them on that. The only thing is that they aren't huge and will probably be 21+; even with serving food, they probably are going to put the smack down on the 21+ because it'd be impossible for them to regulate the drinking going on down there.

Want me to look into this?

I've been trying to work some other things out, but Thursday nights in Boston are kind of a big drinking night (aka Thirsty Thursdays). Lots of college partying, so it's proving to be more difficult than I imagined. I've kind of been shot down a few times.

EDIT: just thought of another good place. I'll have to check with them on this one. Jacob Wirth's in the Theater District has huge tables in their large eating area. I can see what that would be like.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • bluebombardierbluebombardier Registered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    Jacob Wirth's in the Theater District has huge tables in their large eating area. I can see what that would be like.

Jacob Wirth's won't be great for this. They're a restaurant and will be looking to turn over tables ASAP. They're also located in a relatively high-traffic area and hold a regular piano singalong on Thursdays that's pretty popular.

Microsoft in Kendall Square has held pre-PAX game nights in the past at the NERD Center. I can check with some pals who work there whether they'll be planning to do it again this year. There's a bunch of tech offices in the Seaport district who might also be glad to host auxiliary game nights, but security is obviously going to be a concern. I'll pull on some strings, see what I can find.

VqOf6Tv.png
    An organized event at Harpoon is kind of a bust. They want the $6000 minimum all paid out by 1 person and that seems like too much of a headache. That said, the beer hall is open to the public that night 5-11pm, so feel free to go game there anyway.
    I never got a response from Knight Moves.

HI3789R.png
    An organized event at Harpoon is kind of a bust. They want the $6000 minimum all paid out by 1 person and that seems like too much of a headache. That said, the beer hall is open to the public that night 5-11pm, so feel free to go game there anyway.
    I never got a response from Knight Moves.

Damn. At this point we'll just have to list out places that will be friendly towards tabletop players without having a centralized event. Good to know that Harpoon will be open at least, so even if we are not guaranteed the full venue it can be a meetup point for attendees to grab a drink and set up a few games. Its not like its hard to spot the PAX attendees within a public crowd :P

So for Thursday night options we have:
    Harpoon Brewery- open to public 5pm to 11pm
    Aloft Lobby / Garden Area- There is the Johann Sebastian Joust freeplay being held on the lawn, weather permitting.

Unknown Status:
    Aloft XYZ Bar- Lets confirm with the hotel management group that they will not try to kick out tabletop players.
    Element Lobby / Lounge- Same
    Seaport Lobby / Lounge- Same
    Renaissance Waterfront- I do not remember the lobby having much table space, but maybe someone can get in touch with them and see if they are okay with tabletop games at their restaurant or bar tables?.
    Westin Waterfront- Is there any open lounge / bar area for the public or did everything get reserved for private events?

UPDATE! UPDATE! This information is also posted in the OP.

The Big Westin Boardgame Night is DEFINITELY HAPPENING

I just got off the phone with the hotel just a few minutes ago, and they really love this event so they've worked out a space for us. Not only "a space", but potentially THE BEST SPACE EVER! They have a 21,000 square foot exhibition hall in the basement that they're giving us for game night this year. There will be 350 seats (ie: 35 10-top round tables) and tons of floorspace for JS Joust or floor gaming. 350 seats is not definitive - if it looks like we'll need more tables, they'll give them to us.

Changes for this year:
    - Outside food ordering is permitted
    - We're unclear if there will be a bar in the space but we're working on it
    - Zero gaming will be allowed in the upstairs lobby, anywhere. If you're upstairs, you'll be asked to come downstairs
    - I would like to participate in game night for the first time, so will not be staffing an info table. Instead, we'll try to provide comprehensive signage.
    - I will be leaning on the Cookie Brigade to act as the info table. You have been warned. Cookies are coming.

There is one particular manager at the Westin who has championed this for us this year and there will be some sort of thank you effort for everyone to participate in.

• aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    [insert colourful explicative here] great !!!!!!! Awesome job ... sure psyched now !!!

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    **** **** **** ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The explicative switch for me typing was on, but I think I may have come close to frying it :) This is so awesome. I was going to be really bummed if it couldn't happen. As for signage and other info/instruction, I may be able to help with some of the printing. Just let me know.

• The_MadHatter_The_MadHatter_ Registered User regular
    Amazing news! Out of curiosity, do you know if the Westin will have tables throughout the weekend this year like usual? Or is the no gaming in the mezzanine a weekend long policy?

PSN ID, Steam: The_MadHatter_
    jdixon1972 wrote: »
    **** **** **** ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The explicative switch for me typing was on, but I think I may have come close to frying it :) This is so awesome. I was going to be really bummed if it couldn't happen. As for signage and other info/instruction, I may be able to help with some of the printing. Just let me know.
    Yes please! We'll need foam mounted or cardboard mounted signs, professionally printed. Usually I just go to Office Max and have them do it but if you have a hookup, please send me a PM. We'll need like 4 or 5 signs this year so it would really help to save $$.
    Amazing news! Out of curiosity, do you know if the Westin will have tables throughout the weekend this year like usual? Or is the no gaming in the mezzanine a weekend long policy?
    The mezzanine tables will be up again this year for the weekend, but won't go up until Friday, I think. The mezzanine is booked for Thu-Fri - I'll post more specifics to the OP when I get them.

• surettesurette kill the switch Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Excellent news!

• rtm416rtm416 NYRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Awesome news! If I can give you a hand that night lmk, I should be in by 5 hopefully!

rtm416 on
    SK3ozR5.png
  • nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    This is excellent news can't wait for pre-pax gamenight again! I was really worried it wouldn't happen!

• iltailta Registered User regular
    YAYYYYYYYYY