As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fighting Games] Discussion Round 3 - Fight!

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    This USA semi-meltdown over Japan and sharing tech etc is pretty funny. Fighting games always bring the drama.

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llGrnMP31uU

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    zhi's commentary is actually really informative and good when he isn't making jokes (so, . . . rarely)
    at least in SF4 it seemed like he was super knowledgeable about the game and knew about all sorts of weird character specific setups and tech (from hanging out with top japanese players and talking with them? idk)

Oh, yeah, he actually is super knowledgeable, but he spends 40% of his time resuscitating a dead joke.

I just... that ratio does not appeal to me.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
    edited March 2016
    peeling to the next layer of that drama onion

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Page- wrote: »
    peeling to the next layer of that drama onion

What's going on? I must have missed all this.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
    edited March 2016
    Americans were complaining about the insular culture of local scenes and pot monsters, while the Japanese have been openly streaming and sharing tech. Some pressure, I guess, since SF4 is over, and America didn't win a single EVO in that game (They barely made top 8 after the first couple years). So in a controversial move, Arturo said they should set up a discord room so Americans could share tech. Except it was invite only (ie. even more insular than before). Which is what this current drama backlash is about.

Page- on
    stream
  • MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    So Pokken...yeah, got this for my sons Bday and I kind of been playing the crap out of it. If anyone wants friendlies I go by Nocero on the Wii U, this game is fun as hell.

3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
    Thanks @Figgy for Shaowrun: Dragonfall!

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Man...I'm on PC and I haven't been able to find a match all night :sad:

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Grove wrote: »
    Thanks @Figgy for Shaowrun: Dragonfall!

No prob, glad it could find a home!

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »
    I feel the same way. I suppose one advantage I have is that I just cannot grasp the Street Fighter-style games (or at least, not Skullgirls, which seems super combo-heavy), but something like Pokken, with what appears to be a focus on power hits and brief combos, feels like something I can eventually learn.

So, something like street fighter?

Perhaps I've been using Skullgirls as my main point of reference too much. To be honest, I've very little actual experience with the various types of fighting games.

• ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    I feel the same way. I suppose one advantage I have is that I just cannot grasp the Street Fighter-style games (or at least, not Skullgirls, which seems super combo-heavy), but something like Pokken, with what appears to be a focus on power hits and brief combos, feels like something I can eventually learn.

So, something like street fighter?

Perhaps I've been using Skullgirls as my main point of reference too much. To be honest, I've very little actual experience with the various types of fighting games.

Skullgirls is a bit closer to Marvel vs Capcom, in that it has long combos that can rely on calling in other characters.

SFV *can* have some long combos, but they mostly aren't worth doing. The game has been designed more around getting 2-4 big hits on a punish or mixup. Even if you just get a few buttons worth of damage, and can block or throw when needed, you'll be in a good place.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    P10 wrote: »
    SFV March Update - Release Date and New Details
    tl;dr: monday (28th) for some stuff, alex + the rest on wednesday (30th). free ryu/chun story mode costumes for everyone. Free trial access for Alex/all DLC characters until real money shop launches (date tbd)
    Hey everyone!

We have some exciting news to share today: the long awaited March update that contains Alex will be releasing next week in two separate drops. Hit the jump for more details!

The first drop will take place on March 28 (MON) and contains the following content:
    Challenge Mode
    Demonstrations: Learn the ins and outs of Street Fighter V through helpful demonstration and tutorial content. Contains content for each of the 16 characters, as well as advice geared towards players of all skill levels:
    Beginner Tutorials: 12 lessons covering, movement, normal attacks, special attacks, V-System, throws, counter hits, chip/recoverable damage, etc.
    Intermediate Tutorials: 11 lessons covering projectiles, invincibility frames, armor and armor break, recovery, cross-up attacks, anti-air options, etc.
    Advanced Tutorials: 4 lessons covering back dashing, frame advantage/disadvantage, combo potential, button priority, etc.
    Character Tutorials: 16 lessons covering each individual character.
    Trials: Put your skills to the ultimate test with combo trials for all 16 characters, ranging from basic to pro combos. Completing Trials will also earn you some extra Fight Money.

Online Rematch Option
    Salty from a close loss online? Want revenge? Players can now play a 2/3 set in Ranked Match and Casual Matches, provided both players accept the rematch.
    Battle Lounge Improvements
    Enjoy up to 8 person lobbies, complete with match spectating.

Bug fixes and gameplay balancing
    Various game bugs have been fixed, along with minor gameplay balancing. For more details please see the previous post.

The second drop will take place on March 30 (WED) at 10AM PT and contains the following content:

Alex + related character story content
    In-Game Shop
    Fight Money Expenditure: Spend your hard earned Fight Money to purchase extra game content, such as DLC characters (100,000 FM each) and the Story Mode Costumes (40,000 FM each).
    One feature that will not be making it into the March update will be the Zenny (real money) functionality of the in-game shop. We have taken a long hard look at this part of the store, and after much review, have decided it is not ready to launch just yet. As Zenny is purchased with real money, we wanted to be extra careful and make sure it’s fully tested and optimized before launching it. There is currently no ETA on the Zenny store and we will release it as soon as it’s ready.

We realize that this causes an inconvenience to fans who want to purchase the DLC characters, such as Alex, but do not have enough Fight Money or own the Season Pass. To address this, we will be making Alex available for free as a trial period to all players, until the Zenny shop launches. This also will apply to any future DLC character that releases prior to the Zenny shop launching. Once the Zenny shop launches, the free trial for any DLC characters that released prior to the Zenny shop opening will end, and players will need to either use Fight Money, Zenny, or the Season Pass to access those characters.

Any DLC character related content (such as costumes) that is purchased with Fight Money during the trial period will remain in your account once the trial period ends, but you’ll need to purchase Alex to use that content. The same goes for colors and character progress, etc. that are earned during the trial period; everything will be saved, you’ll just need to purchase the character to resume your progress once the trial period ends.

As a special bonus to our Season Pass users, they will be the only ones who will be able to access the premium costumes of the DLC characters until the Zenny shop launches, and they also get to keep character access once the free trial period ends. Additionally, we will be giving all Season Pass users a free, brand new stage in the near future!

Finally, as a way of saying thanks for everyone’s patience and understanding throughout the beta phases and game launch we will be making Ryu and Chun-Li’s story mode costumes available for free to all users on March 30 as well. This is an 80,000 Fight Money value, almost the full value of a DLC character.

Thank you for continuing to support Street Fighter V and we promise that the game will continue to improve from here on out. More new updates, fixes and support for other pressing issues like rage quitters are in the works and we hope to have more information to share soon.

Until next time!

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • PacMan1979PacMan1979 Registered User regular
    is it too late to buy a season pass?

PacMan1979 wrote: »
    I wouldn't think so.

PacMan1979 wrote: »

Pretty sure you can still purchase it.

I like that they're making Alex free until the zenny shop is up.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    40k for a costume? Wow, that's nuts. Everything else is great news though.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    EDIT: woo free alex

capcom let me give u my usds

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
  • HyperionHyperion Registered User regular
    I'm good with all of that.

Is it stupid to hold out hope that they will eventually revamp the UI/friends system to make it not terrible, or is that just wishful thinking?

XBL: Jhnny Cash PSN: Jhnny_Cash Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/hypephb 3DS: 0619-4582-9630 Nintendo Network ID: DBrickashaw
    You might know me as D'Brickashaw on Steam.
  • DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Hyperion wrote: »
    I'm good with all of that.

Is it stupid to hold out hope that they will eventually revamp the UI/friends system to make it not terrible, or is that just wishful thinking?

I doubt they'll leave it unchanged for the game's entire lifespan, but who knows how many years it'll take.

stream
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
    Okay, that just pisses me off.

stream
    That's not Juri or Dudley, but it looks like a female version of Jhun Hoon (same stances and everything), an old Team Korea member. And a male version of Vanessa and Shen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKOkFPh-ko0

stream
    I was thinking of Heavy D also.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

bring back team u.s.a so we can get another version of slam no.5

XBL - ArchSilversmith

edited March 2016
    EDIT: Double-post.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

i like that infiltration is a giant baby

it makes him the best winner

J3qcnBP.png
    edited March 2016
    EDIT: doooooble

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    fRAWRst wrote: »

infiltration is a huge idiot in the greatest possible way and it is glorious

obF2Wuw.png
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

obF2Wuw.png

obF2Wuw.png
    ill agree that 3 times

cause u right

u right

J3qcnBP.png
    Seems Luong is Jhun's wife. r/kappa says that is in the leaked roster.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

The entire leaked roster has been around and basically confirmed for a long time now.

But it didn't have Vanessa, Shingo, or Shermie, so we didn't want to believe.

stream
  • WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    @Knob we gonna fight?

• WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    ggs Knob my in laws are here and I gotta run

• KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    Dang Walt, why you tryin' to get ahold of me in here, I ain't hardly ever come up here

Ggs man

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Would we even get Shermie in KoF anyway without any other members of the New Face/Orochi team? Yashiro was better, also.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Still no rock, still no buy.

Enjoy your no money, SNK.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png