As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nintendo NX: Console/Mobile Hybrid. Industry leading tech and graphics.

13»

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I know I am buying the NX day one. Why?

Because it will have Zelda. Or Mario. Or Metroid.

That's what I said about Wii U. We got Mario. And two Zelda ports. Never again.

Hyrule Warriors was not a port and also was awesome.

Also Mario Maker. And Splatoon and Mario Kart and Bayonetta 2 and all kinds of stuff :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Yup, the leaked controller just confirmed fake by the leaker. False alarm everyone.

The weirdest part about it was the second fake because that's the one that actually made it believable. Who the hell makes a fake OF a fake? What a wacky mess.

It's good news though, doubling down on the Wii U idea with an even more expensive controller seemed suicidal.

He faked it because there already was one. It was an assist.

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Jedi_Boi wrote: »
    Didn't they say the Wii and WiiU were going to have industry leading tech and graphics too... at least until close to launch?

No. People always say that despite Nintendo never really releasing the specs for their consoles to the public.

Nintendo hardly talks about specs. Even graphics for that matter. The last decade has been about 'experience' and 'community.' The hardware is highlighted when it is a function for that.

It's actually quite refreshing because even as much as Reggie is just a walking teleprompter it's still so much less pre-packaged bullshit that you're used to getting from everywhere else. At least it feels that way.

Except that pre-packaged bullshit is intended for developers, not the public, which ends up frustrating third parties. By keeping their specs secret, Nintendo were actually prioritising PR over third party relations.

I hope they've learnt their lesson this time around.

I mean besides the fact that historically Nintendo passes out dev kits super early.

Third party usually abandons ship because the Nintendo option is usually the least powerful and thus needs concessions to port. Or has some gimmick.

Nintendo makes superb games within these limitations, most publishers are too aggressively chasing the dollar to invest the resources so what they do put out is shit. Shining all the more wetly next to the Nintendo offering so they can't really do anything but bluster and blame the hardware.

Also a lot of people I know just buy Nintendo things for Nintendo games. Never really planning to buy anything else on them.

Seems like you're trying to hand wave this issue away even though there are multiple accounts from developers who had this problem, including Criterion, who ended up doing a great job on the Wii U port of NFS Most Wanted.

You and your friends may not buy third party games on Nintendo systems but that doesn't mean Nintendo shouldn't try.

You mean the 'criterion as owned by EA and EA causing a rift with Nintendo so an EA developer didn't get support' criterion?

Which had nothing to do with the systems specs. As it had been out for over a year at that point?

... So like what is your point? Because you've obviously strayed from what this was originally about to go on some crusade that isn't related.

Here let me requote what you responded to and your can illuminate me on how this and your response have anything to do with s console that had been out for the better part of a year and dev consoles had been floating around for the better part of two.

Nintendo hardly talks about specs. Even graphics for that matter. The last decade has been about 'experience' and 'community.' The hardware is highlighted when it is a function for that.

steam_sig.png
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Hyrule Warriors was not a port and also was awesome.

Also Mario Maker. And Splatoon and Mario Kart and Bayonetta 2 and all kinds of stuff :P

I like Hyrule Warriors but that's no Zelda game. It's a Warriors game with Zelda characters.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Didn't they say the Wii and WiiU were going to have industry leading tech and graphics too... at least until close to launch?

No. People always say that despite Nintendo never really releasing the specs for their consoles to the public.

It's actually quite refreshing because even as much as Reggie is just a walking teleprompter it's still so much less pre-packaged bullshit that you're used to getting from everywhere else. At least it feels that way.

The "experience" was that Wii and Wii U hardware has been woefully underpowered, and so the majority of my gaming has been done on other platforms. The "experience" was seeing every new game get announced for systems that weren't the Wii and the Wii U. The "experience" was that the phrase "coming to consoles" basically never included Nintendo consoles. Those are not good experiences. Nintendo has always made solid first party offerings. Only in the last two gens did they do it while hamstringing everyone else with weak hardware.

The "community" aspect has been, well, lacking? Most huge multiplayer experiences are gonna come from third parties, which have no interest in doing specialized versions for such under powdered hardware. I'm sure the community aspect was great if you were into Splatoon, Smash, MK8 and Mario Maker. Personally I thought those games were pretty much trash. What they really mean by "community" is multiplayer in Nintendo games only, coincidentally that is not a very big community! Compared to your Destinys and Divisions and CODs.

This doesn't really matter though. Buzzwords like that are just empty and meaningless. The other consoles have had much more to offer in terms of "experience" and "community" for most consumers, which is why their sales have decimated the Wii U in a shorter time. Maybe talk about something tangible. Maybe talk about specs, network plans, maybe have better conversations about what's actually important to most players, rather than intangible sunshine, rainbows and unicorns

UnbreakableVow on
  • Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular

This is primarily why I think it would be important for them to not release Zelda U for NX

it keeps the expectation of a new Zelda for every console which keeps people buying consoles

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
    People aren't dumb, they can handle some matter-of-fact talk and may even get excited for it. Remember the Sony press conference at E3 2013? "Here's what the machine will do, here's how much it will cost." And people went nuts! And it sold! It's genius! Granted they also had their community bullshittery as well (look up the old pre-release videos on the PS4 UI about all the ways you'll communicate with your friends on this machine, ways that nobody ever does, sorry, nobody's gonna use some Skype equivalent on a game console to replace their phone), but they had solid third party offerings, a hardware power that was appealing, and people ate it up!

In an ideal world, one console should cover most if not all of your needs. And one sentiment I've seen brought up over the last two gens is that the Wii and Wii U were supplementary machines, to be combined with another console or a gaming PC to get the full experience. I don't know why people suddenly got it into their heads that settling is okay, but it bums me out. As it stands right now, I have a massive shitload of PS4 games. Do you know how many of them are first party? Fuckin'...none at all, basically! Sony has dropped the first party ball this gen but they've somehow sold three times the amount of consoles than Nintendo has with the Wii U. Nintendo could actually capitalize on this with the NX, and it could be amazing

There seems to be some heavy hinting going around that the PS4 and One will be getting an incremental upgrade. Assuming they don't want to completely alienate their respective consumer bases, software would be compatible across the board with the old models. So Nintendo steps in now, with a system with a power equivalency of an Xbox One or greater, at at an equivalent price point ($300-$350) and suddenly they're finally back on the same footing power-wise with their competitors due to the potential fuck-ups of their competitors.

What if the NX didn't have to be a supplementary console like its predecessors? What if it could cover practically all your bases, outside of the offerings of first-party MS and Sony games? That could be incredible, and the way this gen is going, it seems financially feasible for the first time since the GameCube days. People locked into the idea of "I buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo games" is depressing, because that seems like a symptom of a problem rather than a mission statement. The idea that they basically shouldn't even try, that they should just remain within their own shrinking bubble, especially when that idea is thrown around by those who absolutely hate the idea of Nintendo going third party? This is how you avoid that fate. This is how you stay relevant.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I'm know I'm still waiting for a game to come out that makes me care about the XBOne or PS4.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    edited March 2016
    PMAvers wrote: »
    I'm know I'm still waiting for a game to come out that makes me care about the XBOne or PS4.

That's fine

But you can look at sales numbers and deduce that most don't feel this way

Also I'm pretty sure you say this exact statement every time the other consoles come up, but I feel like last time you were like "I got weird anime game X for PS4" and had finally found a reason for its existence

UnbreakableVow on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Ratchet and Clank comes out for PS4 next month.

Is there any other reason you would need to own one? :P

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    The fact that Wii U has been getting shit releases and is devoid of third party games was a pretty compelling reason for me to get a PS4. In 3 months since I got one I almost already have a bigger PS4 library than Wii U. That can't happen again with NX.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Ratchet and Clank comes out for PS4 next month.

Is there any other reason you would need to own one? :P

If they released an amazing collection of all the R&C games.
    Man, that would be heavenly. I never got to play the most recent one that came out last year on PS3.

edited March 2016
    Even if Nintendo continues on its current course, assuming it has a sensible controller with buttons, I'll still buy an NX, and I have high hopes. The Wii U was a marked improvement, and as has been repeated at length, there will be some good first party stuff. And Nintendo will be profitable, most likely. What did they say with the Wii U at launch? The purchase of a console and two games makes it profitable? I'm sure they'd follow a similar tactic if they kept with the way they do business now.

I don't want to see Nintendo merely profitable and merely skimming by on profits. Yes, we've all heard the stories of "they can survive thirty years without a profit!" No, they can't, despite the money they have in the tank. They're beholden to shareholders. That's just a feel-good line people trot out. I want to see Nintendo thriving, offering everything the other manufacturers do and then some. "Everything the other manufacturers do" being modern third-party games running at equal specs, "and then some" referring to their own brilliant first-party lineup that nobody else can offer.

UnbreakableVow on
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    People aren't dumb, they can handle some matter-of-fact talk and may even get excited for it. Remember the Sony press conference at E3 2013? "Here's what the machine will do, here's how much it will cost." And people went nuts! And it sold! It's genius! Granted they also had their community bullshittery as well (look up the old pre-release videos on the PS4 UI about all the ways you'll communicate with your friends on this machine, ways that nobody ever does, sorry, nobody's gonna use some Skype equivalent on a game console to replace their phone), but they had solid third party offerings, a hardware power that was appealing, and people ate it up!

In an ideal world, one console should cover most if not all of your needs. And one sentiment I've seen brought up over the last two gens is that the Wii and Wii U were supplementary machines, to be combined with another console or a gaming PC to get the full experience. I don't know why people suddenly got it into their heads that settling is okay, but it bums me out. As it stands right now, I have a massive shitload of PS4 games. Do you know how many of them are first party? Fuckin'...none at all, basically! Sony has dropped the first party ball this gen but they've somehow sold three times the amount of consoles than Nintendo has with the Wii U. Nintendo could actually capitalize on this with the NX, and it could be amazing

There seems to be some heavy hinting going around that the PS4 and One will be getting an incremental upgrade. Assuming they don't want to completely alienate their respective consumer bases, software would be compatible across the board with the old models. So Nintendo steps in now, with a system with a power equivalency of an Xbox One or greater, at at an equivalent price point ($300-$350) and suddenly they're finally back on the same footing power-wise with their competitors due to the potential fuck-ups of their competitors.

What if the NX didn't have to be a supplementary console like its predecessors? What if it could cover practically all your bases, outside of the offerings of first-party MS and Sony games? That could be incredible, and the way this gen is going, it seems financially feasible for the first time since the GameCube days. People locked into the idea of "I buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo games" is depressing, because that seems like a symptom of a problem rather than a mission statement. The idea that they basically shouldn't even try, that they should just remain within their own shrinking bubble, especially when that idea is thrown around by those who absolutely hate the idea of Nintendo going third party? This is how you avoid that fate. This is how you stay relevant.

The problem is I'm not sure Nintendo can AFFORD the kind of power the other companies toss around easily. Sometimes people forget that Nintendo is, compared to the other two guys in the console business, positively tiny. And R&D costs a bucketload! As does selling all your hardware at a huge loss! Both Sony and MS have sold their hardware at a loss for two generations now, but Microsoft doesn't give a smidgen of a shit about having a big initial loss to get consoles in houses because they know that if things don't pan out well, well, they're still Microsoft. The other divisions can cover for initial losses until things are flying. But Nintendo runs 100% in the game market, and if they make a bet on a big machine and it doesn't pan out quickly, they're, well, dead. And Nintendo is notoriously risk averse.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Those leaks were dumb. But impressive.

I didn't believe any of them, but I was wracking my brain trying to figure out how they pulled it off in such a convincing manner. This wasn't some blurry picture taken hastily while sneaking into Nintendo Lab.

I'm glad he posted that 'Making Of' vid it was really cool to watch and also helped me figure out the key part I was missing: People will go to really great lengths to create a false leak. I mean that was some pretty good effort on his part, just to create a fake controller to trick some people on the internet.

I think going forward it's only going to get worse XD

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Those leaks were dumb. But impressive.

I didn't believe any of them, but I was wracking my brain trying to figure out how they pulled it off in such a convincing manner. This wasn't some blurry picture taken hastily while sneaking into Nintendo Lab.

I'm glad he posted that 'Making Of' vid it was really cool to watch and also helped me figure out the key part I was missing: People will go to really great lengths to create a false leak. I mean that was some pretty good effort on his part, just to create a fake controller to trick some people on the internet.

I think going forward it's only going to get worse XD

When I first saw it, I assumed it was Photoshop-ed and I was like, "adding those smudges on it is what sold people...it really brings it to life." Then I saw that video and realized that, holy crap, people can make physical versions of this stuff with relative ease these days. Taking fakes to a whole new level.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

It should be noted that half the reason this worked is because MS so thoroughly fucked up with its messaging. Nobody knew exactly what the fuck their plan was or what the console was fundamentally going to do, and they ignored every question on the fact. This is what let Sony go in with the bare minimum, but important info ("It plays games. Here are games") and walk away as gods. I don't think that would have necessarily worked any other time, and any other time they would have been called out as such.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

We got the best 2D Mario, the best 3D Mario, the best Mario Kart, the best Pikmin, the best Donkey Kong, the best Smash Bros, ports of the best Zelda games, and a new Zelda and Star Fox still coming. And a bunch of other good stuff like Splatoon. Honestly they kinda knocked it out of the park on software.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I agree with that accept 3d Mario. 3d World was a fantastic game, but the Galaxies were far better.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!

We got the best 2D Mario, the best 3D Mario, the best Mario Kart, the best Pikmin, the best Donkey Kong, the best Smash Bros, ports of the best Zelda games, and a new Zelda and Star Fox still coming. And a bunch of other good stuff like Splatoon. Honestly they kinda knocked it out of the park on software.

It's great that such a paltry selection of games in the life of a console is good enough for some people. Not me, I'm afraid. I expect better from Nintendo.

• TayaTaya Registered User regular
    This is my Wii U game collection. While not all of these games are A++, I'd consider it more than a paltry collection.

It's great that such a paltry selection of games in the life of a console is good enough for some people. Not me, I'm afraid. I expect better from Nintendo.

Your expectations are unattainable, though. In the other thread you were just talking about how much you dislike the most critically and fan-acclaimed Donkey Kong ever. It was even GOTY for some.

If they had released a Metroid and F-Zero, you wouldn't have liked them.

I have high expectations for Nintendo software, and they were surpassed. I wouldn't think it possible for them to top themselves in every franchise with this many games, this many years already under their belts. Somehow they did.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky

Your expectations are unattainable, though. In the other thread you were just talking about how much you dislike the most critically and fan-acclaimed Donkey Kong ever. It was even GOTY for some.

If they had released a Metroid and F-Zero, you wouldn't have liked them.

I have high expectations for Nintendo software, and they were surpassed. I wouldn't think it possible for them to top themselves in every franchise with this many games, this many years already under their belts. Somehow they did.

You're really projecting here

I liked quite a bit of Wii U's software. 3D World? Not the best 3D Mario, but still fantastic. NSMBU? Not the best 2D Mario, but still really good. DKC: Tropical Freeze? Better than Returns, but still not a patch on DKC2. Smash and MK8 are probably the best of their respective franchises, but that doesn't matter so much to me, as Smash gets old really quick for me (I'm mostly there for the nostalgia and trophies and stuff) and I flat-out dislike Mario Kart. I thought Splatoon sucked. I thought Mario Maker was limited and boring.

The thing is though, even if I agreed with you that they were all best in their respective franchises? That's still not good enough for a system. They need the third party support. It is, in my opinion, absolutely a paltry number. Taya just posted a shot of 28 Wii U games. If I agreed those were all good, then we'd be getting a bit warmer, but they basically just posted one picture that encapsulates pretty much the entirety of the "good" Wii U games out there, every marquis title the system has, and they're all first party with very few exceptions.

Not nearly enough, though. That's why you kinda need that third party support. If those were all amazing, top-of-the-line games, that's still less than a game a month. That's kinda pathetic. And that's assuming you like all of Nintendo's first-party output.

Don't presume tell me what I would and wouldn't like, Sporky.

edited March 2016
    Not nearly enough, though. That's why you kinda need that third party support. If those were all amazing, top-of-the-line games, that's still less than a game a month. That's kinda pathetic. And that's assuming you like all of Nintendo's first-party output.

Oh, not really. They published about 60 pieces of software, I didn't count how many were first party but there are a lot I don't own because I didn't expect that I'd love them. Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Mario Party 10, Pokken Tournament. Any of the Mario sports games. Of the first party I bought I didn't get very far into Captain Toad or Yoshi's Wooly World, they just didn't keep my interest at the time. But even skipping a bunch of the first party stuff they put out I feel like I got as much or more to love than first party on the Wii.

I can't imagine liking all their output.

UncleSporky on
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I can't speak for everyone but I'm content with 30 games for a system. The only games I can't play this generation that I have an interest in are Bloodborne and Until Dawn.

I'm sure I'll get the NX because between that and Steam I'll be able to play anything I personally have an interest in, except a handful of other exclusives here and there.

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Taya wrote: »
    I can't speak for everyone but I'm content with 30 games for a system. The only games I can't play this generation that I have an interest in are Bloodborne and Until Dawn.

I'm sure I'll get the NX because between that and Steam I'll be able to play anything I personally have an interest in, except a handful of other exclusives here and there.

Yeah, honestly, the only PS4 thing I want to play that isn't on PC is Bloodborne. At least I have a dozen WiiU games that aren't in other systems. It's not an amazing number, but probably better than I'd have on another current console.

Steam ID: Right here.
    edited March 2016
    Drascin wrote: »

Yeah, honestly, the only PS4 thing I want to play that isn't on PC is Bloodborne. At least I have a dozen WiiU games that aren't in other systems. It's not an amazing number, but probably better than I'd have on another current console.

This is exactly what I'm talking about in my previous posts

There are still plenty of people who do no gaming on PC, and the modern consoles are doing heavy numbers because of this

With a PS4, I have basically everything I want to play that comes down the PC pipeline. It is a PC replacement. The only thing I'm really not getting there is Nintendo first-party games.

The NX being an equivalent solution would make it a fine stand-alone console, instead of the supplementary system everyone views it as

And yeah, maybe being just that supplementary system is fine enough for them, Nintendo is posting profits

I just feel like they could be doing so much more

That's why I'm really hoping the other console makers, whether it's a good or bad move, decide to move forward with the whole PS4.5 or Xbox 1.5 deal. If the NX were to come out this year with the hardware equivalent to those 2013 consoles, they should be able to realistically keep costs down, while gaining equal footing with the "base" consoles of the other manufacturers

Then I can get my NX and in 2017 I can be switching back and forth between the new Zelda, a new Mario and Destiny 2, all on a Nintendo console, how rad would that be

UnbreakableVow on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I occasionally feel kind of guilty about this, but if a game comes out simultaneously on the Wii U and on PC, I'm almost certainly going to buy it on PC. It isn't anything related to power, it's just that I already spend all my time on a PC anyway, so why go to the hassle of reorganizing to use the TV instead?

jothki wrote: »
    I occasionally feel kind of guilty about this, but if a game comes out simultaneously on the Wii U and on PC, I'm almost certainly going to buy it on PC. It isn't anything related to power, it's just that I already spend all my time on a PC anyway, so why go to the hassle of reorganizing to use the TV instead?

Same here, unless there's good console-exclusive features, or if it just feels right.

Like I had my choice of platform for Shovel Knight but I really wanted to see it in 3D and it felt like it just fit best as a handheld game.

Also my living room recliner is a lot more comfortable than my computer chair but that's my own dang fault for not taking my time when I went to get a new chair! But it means I've spent more time recently with a laptop on one armrest and 3DS on the other while watching movies.

• Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »

This is exactly what I'm talking about in my previous posts

There are still plenty of people who do no gaming on PC, and the modern consoles are doing heavy numbers because of this

With a PS4, I have basically everything I want to play that comes down the PC pipeline. It is a PC replacement. The only thing I'm really not getting there is Nintendo first-party games.

The NX being an equivalent solution would make it a fine stand-alone console, instead of the supplementary system everyone views it as

And yeah, maybe being just that supplementary system is fine enough for them, Nintendo is posting profits

I just feel like they could be doing so much more

That's why I'm really hoping the other console makers, whether it's a good or bad move, decide to move forward with the whole PS4.5 or Xbox 1.5 deal. If the NX were to come out this year with the hardware equivalent to those 2013 consoles, they should be able to realistically keep costs down, while gaining equal footing with the "base" consoles of the other manufacturers

Then I can get my NX and in 2017 I can be switching back and forth between the new Zelda, a new Mario and Destiny 2, all on a Nintendo console, how rad would that be

I guess for me I use a PC for a lot more than games so no matter what console I get it'll be in addition to a decent PC. I'm not looking for something to replace my PC is the thing so I've never really thought of Nintendo consoles as being supplementary.

It would be great if a whole bunch of third party games would come to Nintendo but I probably still wouldn't play them there, I just want Nintendo consoles to last longer than the Wii U.

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    the millions of people playing MOBAs and MMOs disagree (with the exception of ffxiv) about having all the PC games on consoles.

edited March 2016
    Pailryder wrote: »
    the millions of people playing MOBAs and MMOs disagree (with the exception of ffxiv) about having all the PC games on consoles.

Okay

Obviously there's gonna be cases on every platform of something that doesn't cross over

I could just as easily say the millions of people that bought PS4s and Xbox One give zero fucks about having MOBAs and MMOs on console

It's clear that whatever they want though, they're not getting it on the Wii U and aren't willing to go through the bother of playing PC

UnbreakableVow on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular

Except that pre-packaged bullshit is intended for developers, not the public, which ends up frustrating third parties. By keeping their specs secret, Nintendo were actually prioritising PR over third party relations.

I hope they've learnt their lesson this time around.

I mean besides the fact that historically Nintendo passes out dev kits super early.

Third party usually abandons ship because the Nintendo option is usually the least powerful and thus needs concessions to port. Or has some gimmick.

Nintendo makes superb games within these limitations, most publishers are too aggressively chasing the dollar to invest the resources so what they do put out is shit. Shining all the more wetly next to the Nintendo offering so they can't really do anything but bluster and blame the hardware.

Also a lot of people I know just buy Nintendo things for Nintendo games. Never really planning to buy anything else on them.

Seems like you're trying to hand wave this issue away even though there are multiple accounts from developers who had this problem, including Criterion, who ended up doing a great job on the Wii U port of NFS Most Wanted.

You and your friends may not buy third party games on Nintendo systems but that doesn't mean Nintendo shouldn't try.

You mean the 'criterion as owned by EA and EA causing a rift with Nintendo so an EA developer didn't get support' criterion?

Which had nothing to do with the systems specs. As it had been out for over a year at that point?

... So like what is your point? Because you've obviously strayed from what this was originally about to go on some crusade that isn't related.

Here let me requote what you responded to and your can illuminate me on how this and your response have anything to do with s console that had been out for the better part of a year and dev consoles had been floating around for the better part of two.

Yes, the same Criterion Nintendo approached to make a new F-Zero. The Criterion that released NFS Most Wanted on Wii U a few months after launch (nowhere near a year, let alone over it). That Criterion. I'm sure your theory that Nintendo deliberately tried to fuck them over is totally accurate though.

I haven't strayed from anything, HallowedFaith talked up Nintendo's lack of specs talk as a good thing and I disagreed. What's so hard to understand? Providing developers with detailed information on the hardware is a huge help to them when they're just starting out on a system, especially when they have to start development of a game/port long before they get final devkits. Why do you think we got most of the PS4 and Xbone specs before they were even announced? For fun?

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    This sort of thread can wait until an official announcement.

Feel free to speculate on rumors and leaks in the Wii U thread.

YL9WnCY.png
This discussion has been closed.