As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Night Flight to [Tokyo]

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentBears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

Oh, sorry. Apart from a thinly veiled excuse to share super eurobeat, I really am going to Tokyo in two weeks. Arriving on April 9th, leaving April 16th.
110117_big.jpg
is that a Virtual On poster?

Tentative itinerary: Day 1 - Ueno Park and/or something near Shinagawa
Day 2- Akihabara
Day 3- Shibuya
Day 4 - Tokyo Tower and area
Day 5 - Shinjuku and/or Roppongi
Day 6 - Nakano, maybe Imperial Palace
Day 7 - half day, probably the Shinagawa Aquarium then airport.

Hoping I can get someone to take me along the Bayshore/Wangan highway, since my hotel is right near there.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1066854-d1083476-Reviews-Seaside_Inn_Oomori-Shinagawa_Tokyo_Tokyo_Prefecture_Kanto.html

Any of you all going to be in the area? Or suggest places to frequent and/or avoid like the plague.
1333283-2132412285_full.jpg
A distinct possibility.

I also encourage suggestions to keep me sane on a 12 hour flight.

wVEsyIc.png

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    FUCK, I knew I forgot to go someplace when I was there (Gundam cafe). If you have the time on Day 1, maybe go to Tokyo Skytree. It's pretty close to Ueno, over the river in Sumida.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Depends on how jetlagged and/or exhausted I am. Between the TRY Amusement Tower and HEY, I figure I'll be on cloud nine with those Akihabara arcades. I'll get to play Central Fiction, too. (And maybe Maximum Tune 5, since that's never happening in the US.

I could go into a hostess bar just to stare at the prices and politely back out as fast as I can.
    Or if I can actually afford it, it'll be time to

wVEsyIc.png
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Houk's out there, in your neck of the woods. I hope you enjoy it, though I wish you had enough time to see someplace outside of Tokyo. Your itinerary looks solid, but Tokyo is definitely my least favorite city on the island. I only ever went there for the Tokyo game show and to visit a friend, which was worth it, but beyond a big event like that, for my money the rest of Japan is way more interesting. It looks like you haven't got the time for it, but I would recommend you try to get out of the city and go checkout Fuji and the surrounding towns. Whatever you do, try to eat somewhere mom-and-pop-y.

sarukun on
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I live in the area(ish) but that's my first week of the new semester so I'm not sure what my schedule will look like. If you're looking for stuff going on or general places to check out, this site updates pretty regularly with Tokyo-based activities and places to check out. If there's anything specific you're interested, lemme know and I might have some recommendations!

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    My friend is currently in Japan. He checked out a bunch of places so far. St. Tropez arcade in Tokyo (Arakawa-ku) if you just feel like gaming some time away. 100 yen for 3 plays for most games. Obviously the Hachiko statue if you're going to be in Shibuya, Gotemba Premium Outlets has a Pokemon store, but I think this is located close to Mt. Fuji - not sure if that'd be out of your way or on your itinerary.

And of course, the Artnia Cafe for SquareEnix stuffs.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Houk's out there, in your neck of the woods. I hope you enjoy it, though I wish you had enough time to see someplace outside of Tokyo. Your itinerary looks solid, but Tokyo is definitely my least favorite city on the island. I only ever went there for the Tokyo game show and to visit a friend, which was worth it, but beyond a big event like that, for my money the rest of Japan is way more interesting. It looks like you haven't got the time for it, but I would recommend you try to get out of the city and go checkout Fuji and the surrounding towns. Whatever you do, try to eat somewhere mom-and-pop-y.

I definitely plan to. Heck, I kind of have to. :P On a pretty limited budget. Fortunately there seem to be a lot of little places in Shinagawa.

I wish I could see places like Kyoto and Osaka, but with my limited schedule, I figure Tokyo will offer plenty for the week and then some. Maybe next time.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_Vm1T213CM
    love in an angel in the DAAAARK
    Houk wrote: »
    I live in the area(ish) but that's my first week of the new semester so I'm not sure what my schedule will look like. If you're looking for stuff going on or general places to check out, this site updates pretty regularly with Tokyo-based activities and places to check out. If there's anything specific you're interested, lemme know and I might have some recommendations!

Awesome. I probably plan on winging it the whole week, so the sky's the limit. The only place I am dying to see is Akihabara and the Nakano Broadway. Acquiring a cheap copy of Akumajo Dracula Saturn is also a goal.

(Sneaking into Grasshopper Manufacture and getting Suda51's copy of the Silver Case is the hail mary.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Hello I am in Japan

Unfortunately my boss told me yesterday he wants me to work more hours so I probably won't get anymore Saturdays off

I'll be tied up on Saturday, anyway. That's when I fly out. I'll be there Sunday to Friday. (Can't think of a context eurobeat song for this post, I'm slacking.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Nakano Broadway is cool but it's basically just an indoor shopping mall, so manage your expectations on that one. That immediate area has a bunch of cool little sidestreets and alleys that are worth wandering around in for a while as well.

It wasn't on my list, but Kurt from HG101 kept constantly singing its praises, and said I had to check out Mandarake especially.

wVEsyIc.png
    edited March 2016
    Yeah Mandarake is pretty neat. Also note that a lot of the shops in there open late and close early (and some stores are closed on certain days). I dunno if there's a detailed schedule out there somewhere, but keep it in mind.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    You want to be very, very careful about Mandarake. That place has the potential to be bad for your wallet.

aTBDrQE.jpg
    I'm very selective about what I'm after, and I really don't have the money to be buying random expensive stuff, unless it's something insane. (And the kind of niche stuff I'm after isn't likely to be that costly, i.e. The Silver Case or Moonlight Syndrome.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    We have a travel thread for you to use.

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
This discussion has been closed.