As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Question re: Archived Phallas.

tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture.Registered User regular
Hey,

I was referring someone to the Phalla link in my signature last week, and they told me that they couldn't view it. They aren't a member, so I thought that it might be a permission issue, but I can't view it either.

A cursory look at the Archive forum seems to show many of the Phallas have been moved to parts unknown. I was curious to see what the intention is for them. An archive subforum for these games, perhaps (hopefully)? Deletion (hopefully not)? Secretive, jealous hoarding by Bogey (given)?

(Also, I was wondering if there was any forward progress on 'Reply To All' for PMs.)

Thanks for any responses.

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
3DS: 2406-5451-5770
tuxkamen on

• TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, it seems that I cannot view your Ad Astra Phalla link, either.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2007
    some joker trashcanned it. fixed.

Tube on
  • tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    some joker trashcanned it. fixed.

Thanks much.

I hate to say this, but there were quite a few other Phallas in the archive forum that look to have been similarly canned. I don't know which 'joker' it was, but...um, it wasn't very nice to do that*. There's a lot of effort put into the writing of these.

(Actually, it really would be nice if they ended up recovered and put into an archive subforum, since it seems to be a little sub-genre all to itself here.)

* - unless you were said joker, in which case I laughed uproariously.

EDIT: For example, my .sig links to a post by visiblehowl in the Phalla Phalla, and the Lady Eri link to yet another (Soviet). visible's was canned, the Soviet Phalla one wasn't because it's still in CF.

tuxkamen on

Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
  • naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Indeed, it saddens me to consider that all that I achieved in the SE++ Wheel of Time and Heroes v1.0 phallas might one day slip away, the inarguable boon they represent to future generations of phalla players dissipated for all eternity.

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in rain.

naporeon on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Uh, they'll all be gone someday. Some warning would be nice in this case since it was from the archives.

If we really want to keep these we should probably spend some quality time with "Save as complete webpage" option in Firefox.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2007
    they've mostly moved back to the archives. They're not going to stay there forever though, because I don't want the archives to be full of phallas that only five people give a shit about. If you want a permanent copy of it, save one now.

Tube on
    edited November 2007
    I think that five is being a bit optimistic.

When they're gone, they're gone. No biggie.

naporeon on
  • tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Uh, they'll all be gone someday. Some warning would be nice in this case since it was from the archives.

This is all I hope for.

tuxkamen on

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    EDIT: Not going to start drama here.

We should export them and archive them somewhere else. Is there an easy method of saving the entire thread?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    According to what Ramius has said, they're all going to be archived automatically anyhow, hopefully in the near future. In the meantime, there's no auto-pruning going on, so there's nothing to worry about.

Thanatos on
    edited November 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    Drez, you do know that I love you, right?

I mean, I love you when other people tell me it's OK.

Is it OK right now?

naporeon on
    edited November 2007
    naporeon wrote: »

Is it OK right now?

See that drama you're trying to instigate here, in the admin forum? I'm not going to take the bait, sorry.

Drez on
    edited November 2007

Is it OK right now?

See that drama you're trying to instigate here, in the admin forum? I'm not going to take the bait, sorry.
    I'm sorry. I'm not trying to start drama. I do like you. I enjoy when you post. And honestly, you seem like an OK dude most of the time.

But clearly, you take something about phalla way more seriously than I do. Way, way more seriously. Otherwise you probably wouldn't have gone out of your way to say something you thought would start drama, then edit it out, but leave a reference to it in your post. That, and you wouldn't be taking this opportunity to chastise me.

You are 100% right, though...this isn't the place for baiting or anything, and I'm sorry if you thought that was what I was doing. I would be more than happy to discuss your anger with me in a more suitable place, though, such as by PM. Just letting you know.

naporeon on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If someone wanted to, they could set up a archive site in the vein of Something Awful's Let's Play website.

DarkPrimus on
    edited November 2007

Is it OK right now?

I'm sorry. I'm not trying to start drama. I do like you. I enjoy when you post. And honestly, you seem like an OK dude most of the time.

But clearly, you take something about phalla way more seriously than I do. Way, way more seriously. Otherwise you probably wouldn't have gone out of your way to say something you thought would start drama, then edit it out, but leave a reference to it in your post. That, and you wouldn't be taking this opportunity to chastise me.

You are 100% right, though...this isn't the place for baiting or anything, and I'm sorry if you thought that was what I was doing. I would be more than happy to discuss your anger with me in a more suitable place, though, such as by PM. Just letting you know.

What my intial, now edited-out comment alluded to, naporeon, is that your comment on how unimportant it is to archive phallas could only be construed as instigative and obnoxious. The fact that there is a thread on it (not created by me, in fact) proves that, in fact, the issue IS important, at least to someone.

You do realize that it is rather rude to tell someone that something they find important is unimportant, right? Or maybe you don't. But here you go: it's rude. CT has the right to decide how important things are within the administrator framework, but your comments were rather irrelevant.

And it's not just you doing this. It happens all the time in this subforum. Some poster shows up with a complaint or question and then at least one other (and usually more than one other) always shows up to deride the person for making the complaint or suggestion.

That's not helpful or needed. Unless you think the suggestion is harmful (which I cannot fathom how archiving threads could actually be harmful to anyone), then there is no reason to come into a thread like this trying to negate the suggestions being made.

Just my two cents.

Drez on
    edited November 2007

Is it OK right now?

What my intial, now edited-out comment alluded to, naporeon, is that your comment on how unimportant it is to archive phallas could only be construed as instigative and obnoxious. The fact that there is a thread on it (not created by me, in fact) proves that, in fact, the issue IS important, at least to someone.

You do realize that it is rather rude to tell someone that something they find important is unimportant, right? Or maybe you don't. But here you go: it's rude. CT has the right to decide how important things are within the administrator framework, but your comments were rather irrelevant.

And it's not just you doing this. It happens all the time in this subforum. Some poster shows up with a complaint or question and then at least one other (and usually more than one other) always shows up to deride the person for making the complaint or suggestion.

That's not helpful or needed. Unless you think the suggestion is harmful (which I cannot fathom how archiving threads could actually be harmful to anyone), then there is no reason to come into a thread like this trying to negate the suggestions being made.

Just my two cents.
    Ah. Fair enough.

What I meant to do, though, was show that I wasn't serious when I made my first comment about how sad it was that all my beautiful Phalla experiences were going to disappear.

I do think that the point stands, though, about their limited appeal, as Tube pointed out. If you figure that maybe one in twenty participants in a Phalla would want access to it past a standard backdate lifespan, five people is optimistic. Even at one in ten that would be the case.

Sure, it's important to some people. I didn't need that pointed out; as you said, it's self-evident...no interest, no thread. But that doesn't mean that saying (or implying) "it's not important to enough people to warrant special archiving practices" is insensitive or hurtful.

naporeon on